South Gloucestershire South Gloucestershire

Document Sample
South Gloucestershire South Gloucestershire Powered By Docstoc
					                South Gloucestershire
         Severnside Safer & Stronger Community Group
           Minutes of meeting held on 31st March 2010
         at Easter Compton Village Hall, Easter Compton


Present:

Michael Matthews         Chair

Cllr Peter Tyzack        SGC Councillor

Insp R Evely             Avon and Somerset Constabulary
PC Steve Bird            Avon and Somerset Constabulary

Ross Parsons             Avon Fire and Rescue plus 2 colleagues

Jacqui Ward              South Gloucestershire Council Officer
Carl Shedden             South Gloucestershire Council Officer

Frances Barr MBE         Severn Beach NHW
Graham Harris            Resident
Robert Griffin           Resident
Mary Moloney             Hallen Village Committee
Sue Black                Resident - Hallen Residents Association
Liz Kendall              Resident - Hallen Residents Association
Jane Davey               Piling and Severn Beach Parish Plan
Angela Hammond           Almondsbury NHW
Mike Fawey               Almondsbury NHW
Carole Moorden           Resident
Leanne Wilson            Resident
Chris Wilson             Resident
Yvonne Gaulton           Resident
Jackie Barnett           REsident

Apologies:

Cllr Sheila Cook
Nicole Bendal

1. Welcome and Introduction

Michael Matthews, acting as chair opened the meeting and Jacqui Ward listed
apologies.


                                 Page 1 of 6
2. Agree Minutes of the previous meeting
Minutes from the previous meeting were agreed with the change of spelling to
Gypsy Flatt.

Apologies from Phil Norcott who had a family emergency.

3. Review priorities from previous meeting


Previou
   s        Location                 Update on 31st March 2010
priority


ASB -      Pilning      Letters had been delivered to all those in the locality, no
resident   (Crosshan    further contact had been made with ASB. The police
s          ds Road)     reported that thanks to information from the community 2
frighten                warrants had been issued for searches of premises in
ed to                   Severn Beach and although one was un successful the
                        other did lead to the seizing of a quantity of cannabis
talk to                 plants. It was felt that this might lead to an improvement
police                  of problems in the area.
Weight     Hallen       Carl Shedden introduced himself to the meeting and
limits                  explained how Trading Standards at SGC worked
being                   with the police to tackle the problems of lorries
broken                  breaking weight limits. There had been 7
by one                  prosecutions for this and although many more had
particul                been stopped most had legitimate reasons for being
ar                      in the vicinity. Either the driver or the company could
compan                  be prosecuted and over 30 companies had been
y (also                 written to with advice and leaflets.
speedin                 Frances Barr raised the problem of Foreign lorries in
g/                      Farm Lane. The problem of lorries accessing the
pollutio                Tesco depot was also raised and the group
n                       wondered if signs could be erected on Blackhorse
                        Lane warning there was no access to Tesco’s via
                        this route.
                        Carl offered to raise this with Tesco’s although Peter
                        Tyzack had already raised this with them.
                        SatNav’s are still causing a problem in the area and
                        everyone was urged to keep on reporting problems
                        to the companies involved.

                        https://earth.google.com/support/bin/request.py?&contact
                        _type=data”

                        The group also felt that better advice could be given
                        to drivers from their companies on how to get to the



                                  Page 2 of 6
Previou
   s        Location                 Update on 31st March 2010
priority

                        depot and that details could be issued in a number of
                        languages.
                        Peter Tyzack asked how to identify that a lorry was
                        over 7.5tons.
                        Carl explained these were normally rigid axle
                        vehicles and should display a plate stating tonnage.

                        Contact details for Carl are
                        Carl.Shedden@southglos.gov.uk



Updates on other Issues Raised at last Meeting

Community Speedwatch
Police would like to have volunteers names, so please contact PC Bird if you
are interested.



4. Discuss Local Community Issues


Issue discussed         Location       Comments
Speeding and         Hortham Lane,     Residents reported on going problems
other traffic        Hickory Lane      with traffic in the area of the new
problems                               development, for example 20 mph limits
                                       being ignored. PC Bird has visited the
                                       area. It was felt that the change in priority
                                       around the right hand bend junction over
                                       the M5 bridge had caused more
                                       problems.
                                       JW to report the issue to SGC Highways
                                       and the Safety Camera Partnership.
                                       PC Bird to monitor
Crime issues and     Hortham           The residents raised the issue of suspected
suspected drug       Village           drug dealing in the area, especially on a
problems                               Friday evening. The police reported that they
                                       are already working with the relevant Housing
                                       Association regarding some issues but urged
                                       residents that if they saw anything suspicious
                                       to contact the local police.
                                       Alternatively anyone could call Crime
                                       Stoppers on 0800 555 111 who would task
                                       the matter to the local team.


                                 Page 3 of 6
                                      Local statistics for crime in an area can be
                                     found on the police website under Crime
                                     Mapping.

                                     They are aware of a burglary problem in the
                                     area which is already being dealt with, they
                                     also now have keys to some of the flats in the
                                     area and are regularly patrolling.

                                     Police to continue to review the situation but
                                     suggested that the residents might like to set
                                     up a NHW to assist with the problem. The
                                     NHW co-ordinator for Avon and Somerset
                                     Constabulary is Bridgett Whittle who can be
                                     contacted    on    0117 931 2503 or
                                     Bridgett.whittle@avonandsomerset.police.uk.
                                     Police to continue to monitor.

ASB -              Pilning Village   There was still felt to be problem with ASB by
                                     young people in the area. It was suggested a
                                     Pizza and Cola evening might be organised
                                     as well as a check on underage sales of
                                     alcohol and cigarettes.
                                     Police and SGC Youth Services to progress
                                     Robert Griffiths asked if the ASB officer could
                                     make contact with him.



                                     Action:
                                     JW to check if Pilning Youth Club is still
                                     operating and to liaise with Reehana Sayeed
                                     about youth facilities in the area

Speeding           Severn            Speeding traffic was still felt to be a problem.
                   Beach/Ableton     JW to talk to camera Safety Partnership.
                   Lane/ Prospect    Situation to be monitored.
                   Road
Sight line         Top of Sunday     The undergrowth was still a problem here
difficulties       Hill              causing traffic to pulling out to be unable to
                                     see clearly
                                     JW to report to StreetCare
Litter Bins        Hortham           Residents felt the amount of bins were
                   Village           inadequate; they were advised that
                                     Almondsbury Council were responsible for
                                     this. It was also agreed that the number
                                     specified in the planning details would be
                                     checked for compliance.




5. Vote on Issues Raised




                               Page 4 of 6
There were 3 obvious priorities raised and subsequently there was no need to
vote:


      1. Speeding in Hortham Village/Hortham Lane, Almondsbury.

      JW to report the issue to SGC Highways and the Safety Camera
      Partnership.


      2. Crime issues and suspected drug issues in Hortham Village.

      Police to continue to review the situation but suggested that the residents
      might like to set up a NHW to assist with the problem. The NHW co-ordinator
      for Avon and Somerset Constabulary is Bridgett Whittle who can be contacted
      on 0117 931 2503 or Bridgett.whittle@avonandsomerset.police.uk.
      Police to continue to monitor.

      Anti Social Behaviour in Pilning Village

      JW to check if Pilning Youth Club is still operating and to liaise with Reehana
      Sayeed SGC Rural Youth Worker about youth facilities in the area


6. AOB
SSIF Applications –The group felt that the formation of a Community
Speedwatch would be supported. Any volunteers to contact PC Bird.

a) Chair and Vice Chair –

      o Michael Matthews was proposed and seconded for chair for the
        coming year and unanimously voted in by the group
      o Sheila Cook was proposed and seconded for vice chair for the
        coming year and unanimously voted in by the group


b) Publicity - Volunteers needed to distribute leaflets and put up posters to
   advertise SSCG meetings. Please contact Jacqui Ward.
   Request that more notice is given on dates/time of meetings and that
   Minutes can be made available to go on the InView website




7. Date, Time and Venue of next Meeting

Thursday 24th June 7pm Hallen Village Hall




                                       Page 5 of 6
Page 6 of 6