1305658145-29_Jan_Minutes_iASC_RG_meeting_on_assessment_in_Haiti by shuifanglj

VIEWS: 1 PAGES: 3

									Assessment Call Notes
Present: Marian (INEE), Marie (UNICEF), Nancy (GP-SI), Lene (IFRC) Amanda (UNICEF), Mark (WHO), Audrey (TdH), Alison (WVI), Lynne (IMC),
Else (ACT), Martha (CARE), Vivi (REPSSI), Gary (NY)

Current operational Issues
   -   PaP Cross-cluster MHPSS Meeting on Saturday 30.1.10 4pm at the UN Compound Meeting Tents

   -   Sharing assessment data: Agencies should share their assessment with the MHPSS Sub-Group on the ground (amelville@unicef.org)
       and with Mark (vanommerenm@who.int, who will forward to relevant MHPSS clusters focal points at global level). If you have an internal
       assessment report that cannot be made public, make a summary, and share this.

   -   Communications: A location on website (www.psychosocialnetwork.net) is needed to share assessment information – past and new
       assessment. A group should be established (as with the Training Group).
          o ACTION: Mark to contact Phil to do it. (post-meeting comment by Mark: GROUP called Haiti Assessment Information has been created
               and am seeking help to crowd the site properly)

   -   Avoiding duplication, coordination of upcoming assessments: Everyone doing assessments should inform the MHPSS sub-group on
       the ground 48 hours ahead of time in order to avoid duplication. Things are moving fast, but global support means that we have a more
       complete picture of 4Ws than many of the other clusters. Global IASC RG support of information collection is very helpful.

   -   Collection and synthesis of existing assessment data: People don’t have time in the field to read various assessments, so Amanda
       asked if IASC RG could help to do this at the global level. Call for global level collation and synthesis of assessment findings. Marie
       offered to make a start on collation. Martha offered (to seek) additional support. Vivi also volunteered. Others interested: send an email to
       Mark.
           o ACTION: Those interested in remotely supporting collation and light analysis/synthesis of assessment data to contact Mark.
                (post-meeting comment by Mark: (a) we need your help (b) please send me any existing assessment information that is not yet
                uploaded on www.psychosocialnetwork.net and I will share it with Marie, Martha and Vivi and anybody else offering help)

   -   4Ws Tool: If you fill in activities on the form, be as specific as possible, and use one line per activity and location, because 4Ws data only
       start to make sense in disaggregated form. We discussed improving codes and decided codes would not change for this emergency (but
       may change after this emergency). It was clarified that PFA should be coded as [1]. When people use the Category “Other” (code 5), they
       need specify what they are exactly doing. Mark was asked to brief Gina (who is working with Amanda) in Haiti on the 4Ws codes.
   -   Contacts and 4Ws are being collected by Gina (working with Amanda in Haiti). This will be entered into the matrix online via Vivi.
   -   Need to get standardized geographical codes from OCHA Haiti so that MHPSS info can be mapped on the same maps as 3Ws/4Ws done
       by Clusters. (post-meeting comment by Mark: Gina is following-up)
  -   There will need to be a cross-walk between the codes of the Clusters’ 3Ws/4Ws and the MHPSS codes. At the moment mapping by the
      Clusters is less complete than MHPSS mapping.
  -   Verification of data can only be done from the field – this is a task of the local MHPSS working group. Challenge: Verifying is time
      intensive. Call for capacity to support this work on the ground – national officer to work on this 4Ws mapping follow-up. Marie has a
      volunteer, but need an organization to provide logistics. . See below “Capacity” for action point.
          o ACTION: All to ensure one line per activity on the Mapping Matrix. Disaggregate as far as possible (i.e. one row per activity; one
               row per location)
          o ACTION: Mark and Vivi to provide clarification of Code Definitions (post-meeting comment by Mark: (a) the code on the Excel
               sheet will clarify that PFA is code 1 (b) Mark has contracted Bhava Poudyal to write definitions of each of the codes)
          o ACTION: Amanda to ask MdM for help with assessment/mapping related coordination tasks


Planning
  -   The minutes below pertain to an assessment planning matrix that was circulated before the meeting

  -   Phases 1 and 2 of the emergency are pretty much over. IRA doesn’t include specific information on MHPSS and there is nothing on any
      type of institutions. Nonetheless, it will provide ots of contextual information (e.g, about people’s physical needs)

  -   Sectoral Assessment:
         o Education: Audit of the education system to be done immediately (number of schools etc) (Phase 2) . Proper in depth education
              assessment (Phase 3) to be done a little later, so chance to input MHPSS questions. Marie and Amanda to work on this on
              ground with education colleagues. Global team to remain on standby for urgent issues. There is good communication flow
              between psychosocial and education.
         o Protection: MHPSS needs to integrated into the general protection assessment.
                   Child Protection: Assessment just started in orphanages. (Amanda wrote questions on psychosocial and quality of care.
                      Broader assessment is still under discussion, two options – Integrating Child Protectiion assessment in General Protection
                      Assessment and/or undertaking Child Protection Assessment in camps as they are set up. Amanda to keep us updated. It
                      would be good to have a group to work on questions – Sabine, Mike, Tonka, other volunteers?
         o Health: 170+ agencies. Yet to hear of any concrete plans about Phase 3 assessments. Lynne is focal point for mental health in
              Health Cluster until WHO has full-time mental health presence, but other actors in health sectors have not yet engaged with her
              on mental health. . Contents of common health information system across health sector is not yet decided.
         o ACTION: Mark and Lynne to be vigilant to ensure that UNHCR’s mental health categories are included in the HIS.
         o Nutrition: Amanda yet to speak to colleague on the ground.

  -   Preparation of MHPSS Questions for Inclusion in Sector Assessments: Proposal that there are questions developed that can be
      ready and inserted into sectoral assessments. Amanda asked to aait for needs from the field. She suggested not to review specific tools
      until it is clear what type of assessments will be used by the sectors on the ground becomes clear. It is useful to have groups on standby
      at global level to respond to very quick questions as they arise in Haiti.
           o ACTION: Volunteers needed for adhoc groups that support assessment from the global level, especially for
                 WatSan/Shelter/nutrition (see attached planning matrix for names of volunteers of different adhoc groups.)

  -   Communication of assessment questions to Clusters/Sectors on the ground: When adhoc groups on assessment at the global level
      provide/adapt assessment questions for specific sectors, they should try to get review of local MHPSS working group for technical review.
      At minimum copying the local MHPSS working group is essential.

  -   Agencies on the ground willing to collect data using common tools? Lynne, IMC – yes.                Alison, WVI – too premature. Else,
      ACT – maybe, to email to Mark.

  -   Capacity: Who on the ground will pull together data, lead analysis and reporting? Local MHPSS working group can collect, but has no
      time to process or analyze/synthesize. Processing needs extra capacity. For now, global level support is needed for this . Looking for extra
      capacity – a dedicated staff person to work on assessment and mapping for local MHPSS working group is needed.
          o ACTION: One agency to volunteer staff for this role

AOB
  -   Training. There is great need and desire for training on the IASC guidelines. Nancy doing training in New York. Martha has contacts at
      Univ of West Indies. There is an immediate need for a trainer on the ground now to do trainings. Perhaps a ToT in a month or so.
      Orientation Seminars are being translated into French. This will be discussed more on the Reference Group Call Tuesday 2.2.10.

								
To top