MYRA GERTRUDE PERRY KILLPACK _1875 -1947_ by liuhongmei


									                   MYRA GERTRUDE PERRY KILLPACK (1875 -1947)
                    And EDWARD ALBERT KILLPACK (1870-1942)
                          Written by Merrill Perry (2002)

Myra Gertrude "Gertie" Perry was born 7 September 1875 in Springville, Utah to Lewis
Rosalvo Perry and Cornellia Dolly Whiting Perry. She was born in the Covenant and was
the second child born to Lewis and Dolly Perry. Her older brother, Willis, was born two
years earlier. Gertie was blessed at Springville by James E. Hall.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ was the cornerstone upon which Lewis and Dolly conducted
their lives, and Gertie became a blessed addition to this hard working pioneer family.

Dolly was known to have been an outstanding mother who nurtured and looked after every
need of her family.

Gertie's father, Lewis, like his own father, was stern and hard working. Despite this
firmness, he still knew how to be a loving and nurturing father.

Gertie's infant years were much more secure than the infant years of her parents. By the
1870's the Indian threat had pretty much subsided, and there was a warm home to live in
with plentiful food for nourishment.

Like her brother, Willis, she was a cute baby and received a lot of attention from her family
and countless cousins living around her in Springville.

The loving and sweet personality that Gertie was always known for throughout her life
began showing early as a small child.

Family members have said that Gertie was always caring and sensitive as a child and
soon became quite a helper to her mother.

As the younger children came along, Gertie spent many hours assisting her mother in
caring for their needs. She was nearly 17 years old when my father, Ross, was born, and
Gertie told my mother in later life that she took to him as if he were her own. 1

When Gertie was two and a half years of age, her family moved up to the Union Bench just
south of Springville where her father had taken possession of 40 acres of property. 2

"When I was about three years old, my father, mother, brother Willis and I moved on to a
homestead of forty acres up on the bench South East of Springville, (now called
Mapleton). My father cleared the sage brush off the land, plowed and planted it to grain,
alfalfa and garden. He made adobes and built a two room house.

He set out poplar trees for shade and wood to sell. He planted a row of peach pits which
grew into nice trees and bore sweet seedling peaches. We had all we could use and some
times sold some. He planted blue damson and pink plums. White paramane apples, black
walnut, butternut and almond trees. We had a nice grove of poplar trees, which afforded
plenty of shade where we could play and work. We would sit under the shade of these
trees and cut plums and apples to dry. Very often we would take our tub and board out
there and do the washing." 3
Shortly after the family's resettlement on the Bench, Gertie's sister, Erma, was born in April
1878. A second brother followed 9 November 1880. The family named this child Lewis

By 1881 Gertie had reached school age. Later in life she wrote the following concerning
her education:

"It was many years before we had a school in Mapleton. The first one was in Aunt Mary
Whiting's kitchen. She being the teacher. Next a log room was rented from Dunham Van
Leuven. Ella Williams taught here. Our next school room was rented from Aunt Mary Perry,
(one of the two rooms in her house). Josie Williams taught here. Finally a long lumber
room was built and in this we held school, meetings and Sunday School. I think Josie
Williams was the first teacher here. Next was Hannah Friel.

In a few years a brick, one room building was erected. During my school days the following
teachers were employed there - but only one at a time - Arthur Southwick, Mrs. Bent,
Lizzie McCoard and Carry Coats. In this room we had a real nice chart for the smaller
children to read from. We had a large dictionary, a galvanized bucket for water and a tin
cup to drink from. We would only make a part of a grade a year. When I quit school I had
not finished the fifth grade. If you finished the eighth grade in those days you were
considered pretty well educated." 4

The children of those days didn't have the luxuries and conveniences of an education that
today's children have. The curriculum included reading, writing and simple arithmetic. Their
school setting was slab benches around an old wood stove. They used slates to write on
and had an assortment of readers that they learned to read.

As Lewis and Dolly's children grew older their contributions to the livelihood of their family
grew. Later in life Gertie recorded the following account of her growing-up years:

"As children our food consisted of molasses cake and fried cakes. Molasses candy with
peach pits for nuts. Honey candy pulled until it was a light color. Molasses preserves,
peach plum and currant. Dried peaches stewed and made into butter with molasses.
Plenty of good butter, cream and milk. Large cured hams and slabs of bacon.

Homemade fresh sausage and some stuffed into long small white sacks and hung up to
dry. When it was ready to use we would slice it off and fry it. Sometimes we would dry it in
small white cornhusks. We would parch the ears of sweet corn if we had too much for the
next year's seed. We also parched the large dent corn to eat. We stored for winter lots of
dried plums (sweet damson), a sack of dried peaches, and plenty of dried apples, dried
corn and squash. For something special we would peel some of the peaches to dry. They
were the little white seedling kind. We raised platy of black walnuts a few butter nuts and

We always looked forward with joy to the time in the fall when we would go to the canyon
to gather service berries and choke cherries to dry for winter. We would prepare a lunch
and all get in a big farm wagon, and the faithful workhorses would carry us up the dug way
and over the rough roads to our destination. We would stay all day and usually gather a
large bucket full of berries.

We always had plenty of good warm bedding. Our blankets were made of "scratchy"
linsey. We had a clean tick filled with soft out straw placed on the wooden slats of the bed,
(no springs then). On top of the straw-tick was a "squashy" feather tick. Sometimes we
would go to Utah Lake and gather cat tails and my Father would strip the down off in big
seamless sacks until he had enough to fill a tick for the children's bed. This surely was
lovely and fluffy to sleep on for awhile and then they would become pulverized and it would
feel like we were sleeping on sand or cornmeal.

In the early winter we would prepare all of the rags for carpets and rugs. The new pieces
would be made into blocks for quilts. Old overall pants pieces were made into heavy quilts
for the men to use when they went to the canyons for wood.

Early in the morning when it was cool we carried water from the irrigation ditch running in
front of our home and pour it into a large jar in the cellar, where it would keep cool all day.
This we used for our drinking water. We would sometimes strain it to take the wigglers out.
No wonder so many had typhoid fever.

When we were small children we would go out on the un-broken land near our home
where there was sage brush, and with a sharp stick we would dig segos. They were juicy
and tasted good and sweet to us. Sometimes when my father would come home from
plowing sage brush land he would have a pocket full of large juicy segos for US." 5

As noted in the previous writings Gertie recorded many wonderful memories and
experiences of her childhood years. The following includes more of Gertie's recorded

"About 1878 when I was very young with my hair in ringlets, I had a severe case of
whooping cough. All treatments failed to give me relief. One day some superstitious
person told my mother there was an old lady who had a charm, which would cure
whooping cough. As a last resort my parents decided to try the charm. We went in the
wagon to this old ladies place, which was some where between Provo and Springville. She
removed my bonnet and cut off one of my black curls which she kept. This was a part of
the charm. I am not sure what else she did. In time I got over the whooping cough, but I
could not vouch for the charm.

Erma and I were great pals. We worked together, played together and slept together. We
never had a quarrel in our lives. Our only dolls were one large and one small one with
china heads. One New Years morning we found our little ones on our plates. They were
dressed in tiny pink and white gingham dresses. How we loved the little things. They were
filled with sawdust, which would leak out sometimes, leaving a leg or arm very limp.

In 1882 when I was a small girl my sister and I were out in the yard playing and we found a
little sick chicken. I wanted to be the one to tell the news to Ma so I rushed to the house,
burst through the doorway and said, 'Oh Ma there's a little chicken out there half black, half
white and half dead.

I well remember when my father cut his grain with a cradle and then take a small bunch of
it and make a knot of some kind at the end where the wheat heads were, then he would
use this to tie the cut wheat into bundles to be hauled and stacked ready for threshing. We
children would have to go to the field and take him a cool drink of water several times a
day. We most always went bare footed, and the ground would burn our feet. I remember
how glad I was if I could find a ditch in the grain field which was cool and muddy. I would
walk in it and let the mud squeeze up between my hot toes.

One time when I was a small girl I ran to meet my father who was driving in with the
wagon. I got too close to the wheel and it ran over my foot, taking the nail off one toe. I
stopped and put the nail back on and then followed on behind the wagon. The nail grew on
a little crooked.

When I was a child we would sometimes buy a can of lemon sugar for a special treat. It
was sugar mixed with tartaric acid and lemon juice in a tin can. In the center of the can of
sugar was a tiny bottle of lemon extract. We used the sugar mixture and lemon extract to
make lemonade.

We had no ice cream or candy stands available for our sweets then. I well remember the
first ice cream I ever tasted. We were down at Utah Lake attending a Sunday School
celebration. There were long boards on saw horses and here they were serving the ice
cream. My father bought us all a dish of this thin creamy ice cream. I think, it was just
whole milk sweetened and frozen. It probably had a little lemon flavoring in it. We did not
know about vanilla then. The girl who served us this ice cream was on crutches. She had
but one leg and her name was Althea Warren.

One day I went with my father to the field to get a small load of hay. It started to rain and
he climbed on the load to hurry home sticking the fork down in the hay. It also went
through my foot, which was under the hay. He was so sorry but I told him it didn't hurt. It
soon healed.

May 1, about 1883-4 was a happy day in my childhood when I was chosen to be queen of
the May. Our ward held a May day celebration up at the Oak Springs near Maple Canyon.
We all took our picnic and walked through the fields until we came to the chosen spot. We
gathered some wild flowers and made a pretty wreath for the Queen's crown. We had a
nice little program and I was crowned queen of May by Caroline Van Leuven. I wore a pink
flowered calico dress. (We call it print now). It was made mother Hubbard style. The
remainder of the day was spent in climbing hills, hunting birds nests and segos and
gathering flowers." 6

During her teen years, Gertie became very interested in her family history and she seems
to have been blessed with the great desire to keep track of her ancestry.

Along with organizing and keeping family records, she corresponded with her
Grandmother Almira Whiting Packard who was living in California. (See document 1 page
1 in the Document Section). We know of no other of Almira's grandchildren who
maintained any contact with her.

We continue with Gertie's record:

"When I was about fifteen I went with my cousin Hattie Curtis to cook for Abe Thorn of
Springville who had a railroad contract to build a mile of grade for the railroad company
from Heber to Park City. I remember I asked the men `How long it took to build a mile of
railroad?' They all laughed at me. I believe we had ten men to cook for. We lived in tents. I
do not remember how long we worked or how much I earned, but I took some of my
money and came over to Provo and bought me a black walnut dresser, which I thought
was very beautiful. It cost fifteen dollars. I gave my father some of my money and in turn
he took some grain to the store for me to buy my clothes with. I bought me a short plush
coat, a dress, and hat with a veil. In about a year (I think) I went with my cousin Millie
Whiting to cook for My Uncle Charles Perry and Van Fullmer who had a railroad contract
between Manti and Sevier." 7

"In 1891 when I was about sixteen years old our ward in Mapleton, Utah, had a celebration
on the fourth of July. 1 was chosen as Goddess of Liberty. I wore a long white dress, a
gold colored crown on my head and held a large symbol in my right hand. The float I rode
on was trimmed in red, white and blue. We had a nice parade led by the marshal band.
The celebration was held at the south of Maple Canyon in my father's grove." 8

By 1892 Gertie had grown into a pretty young lady of refinement. Besides her family's
historical back ground, Gerties' thoughts were now being turned to boys.

One young man, in particular, who had caught her fancy was Edward Albert Killpack.
Eddie, as he was known, had recently moved to Mapleton from Manti. He was 20 years of
age and a very dashing young man.

His parents were of pioneer stock having arrived in Utah in 1854. Soon after their arrival,
Brigham Young called this young couple to move on to Manti Where they were to assist
this fledgling colony.

Eddie was the eighth of 13 Killpack children to be born in Manti and it was here that Eddie
had grown to manhood. 9
Years later Eddie recorded the following information about his early years:

"My father's name was William Joseph, Mother's name Eliza S. Sauza, both born in
England, both being converts to the LIDS Church and immigrated to Utah 1853 in Jacob
Gates Co. Father was a carpenter and millwright by trade, " 10

"While I was a boy I worked on my Father's farm and sawmill in the summer and went to
school in the winter. When I was age 15 I worked for L. M. Jolley until I was 18 in Manti. I
then worked for M. W. Molen at Ferron, Utah about one year. I then went to Neola, Iowa.
Worked for Uncle James (Father's brother) during the summer months. Went to District
school first winter, second winter went to Grinnell, Iowa, attended the Iowa College about
one year, then returned to Utah. Worked for my brothers J. H. and J. D. Killpack caring for
their sheep about a year then went to Mapleton in Utah Co. and worked for M. W. Molen
there on a ranch. 11

This is what Gladys K. Peterson says about her father:

"My father was born in Manti, Utah, Jan. 15, 1870. His parents were William Joseph and
Eliza Sarah Sauze Killpack. I do not know anything about his childhood for my parents
weren't inclined to talk about the "olden days" as I have been to our children and
grandchildren. But Daddy used to say: I came from a large family, there were nine of us
boys and each one of us had three sisters.

I know he spent some time with Killpack relatives in Iowa. He went to school there and
received education enough to permit him, at a later time in his life, to teach school, at least
for a while. I believe he taught some of my older brothers in their first school. He was
offered a job at $1.00 a day and took it instead of continuing his education. He always
regretted this decision, realizing later the importance of schooling. He preached to all his
children – „go to school, get all the education you possibly can.‟ ” 12

Gladys continues:

"He left Manti for a job in Mapleton. He lived with a family named Molen. One night he
went as a guest of the landlady and her family to a neighborhood dance at the church
house. He never liked to dance but enjoyed being a spectator and as he sat by Mrs.
Molen, he spied a cute little gal on the dance floor. He said: 'Mrs. Molen, who is that little
black outfit?' He pointed her out and Mrs. Molen told him she was Gertie Perry. Eddie
Killpack said, 'I'm going to marry that girl!‟ “ 13

Shortly after Eddie's arrival in Mapleton he was able to procure 30 acres of land on the
east side of the community for $580.00. This seems to have been un-cleared land with no
buildings on it.

About this same time Eddie met Gertie. She was 17 years of age and seemed to have all
the qualities that he desired in a girl.

During the next two years, their courtship became more serious and marriage seemed
eminent. Despite their attraction for each other, there was still time in their lives for other

An article that appeared in the 1894 July copy of the Springville Herald sheds some light
on the qualities of Gertie. It is as follows:

"In honor of Pioneer Day, July 24, 1894, the officers of Mapleton Ward, Kolob Stake, Utah,
under the direction of Sunday School Superintendent Louis R. Perry, decided there should
be a celebration in Mapleton. The main feature was to be the first parade ever held in the
town consisting of floats, horses, oxen teams and people dressed in costumes. At the
head of the parade was the Grand Marshal, who led the floats. There were many floats
decorated with sage brush and sunflowers. The first one carried pretty Gertrude Perry,
who was appointed "Miss Utah". She was accompanied by Ardilla Gallup, my cousin, and
myself. We were just young girls then. We dressed in pretty white dresses with gold trim.
The next float carried the oldest living Utah Pioneer, Levi Kendell. Following came the float
with "Utah's Best Crop"--a lovely group of small children. Next came oxen teams and
people dressed in the costumes of the Pioneers.

There was also a mandolin and guitar band. Riding along with the parade were pretty girls
on horseback. The girls were dressed in riding habits with a sash tied about them with the
name of a state written on the sash. There were also many Indians and squaws riding
horses. The parade went to Maple Grove at the mouth of Maple Canyon, a very fitting
place to hold a celebration. There was a fine program and lunch with ice cream to be eaten
in the shade of the maple trees. After the days activities a program was held in the church
that was being constructed. The walls were yet to be plastered, but there was dancing,
singing and games. The church was built on the same spot where the present Mapleton
Ward Chapel now stands, except that it faced east and the pulpit was in the west end of
the building. There were no separate rooms in the old church, but curtains were drawn
across overhead wires to separate the classes when meetings were held. Although I was
young, I shall never forget that first big July 24th celebration held in Mapleton." 14
Once the summer celebrations ended, Gertie and Eddie set their marriage for 7 November
1894 in the Salt Lake Endowment House.

It is reasonable to assume that much planning and preparation went into their upcoming
marriage during those Fall months. Many hours most likely were spent by Gertie in
assembling home-making items such as towels, bedding, etc.

In the later years of her life, Gladys made the following observations about her parents:
"She (Gertie) was a vivacious, cute little gal with long, black hair and olive skin. My father
knew she was the girl for him when he first saw her at a dance in Mapleton church house.

There was never any question in the minds of their family about the love they had for each
other. They both told us the story of their meeting. Many times I heard the story and I knew
that my Father recognized his mate when he first saw her. They were always devoted to
each other and didn't hesitate to show their affection. There were always lots of hugs and
kisses. This embarrassed me but at the same time I thought it was nice that my parents
kissed each other very often." 15

The Fall quickly passed, and, as scheduled, Eddie and Gertie were married. Once married
they traveled to Manti where they had decided to make their first home.
Why Eddie chose Manti over Mapleton, where he owned land, is not known to us. Perhaps
it was for better work opportunities, or just to be close to his own family.
Shortly after their marriage Gertie was making preparations for motherhood. Their first
child, Perry Leo Killpack, was born 16 August 1895. 16

Eddie and Gertie did not stay long in Manti. They returned to Mapleton the following April
1896 where they settled on Eddie's 30 acres of property on the east side of Mapleton.

It was about this time that Eddie and Gertie each received their Patriarchal Blessings at
the hands of Charles D. Evans at the Kolob Stake of Zion.(See documents 2 & 3, pages 2
& 3)

Shortly after their return Gertie gave birth to their second son on the 4th of September
1896. He was named Leland Edward. 17

Gertie gives us the following account of an incident in young Perry Leo's life:

"When he (Perry Leo), was about eight months old, we moved back to Mapleton, on a
small farm and as Perry grew from baby-hood to young childhood, he became very fond of
horses. So wherever his Daddy and the horses went he wanted to go along. I might add
that Daddy was really proud to take him because for his size he rode very well. On one of
these trips early in October 1898 they were in a heavy rain storm. Perry and his father
were both very wet. The boy took a heavy cold which gradually grew worse. Feeling that
my own treatment was not succeeding, on Oct. 10 we called Doctor Dunn from Springville.
When he came he said the boy had lung fever (pneumonia). Extensive doctoring didn't
seem to be the answer, and it was at this time that Bishop Tew called for a ward fast.

The fast was broken 24 hours later when the Bishop and family gathered to bless the child.
Grandfather Lewis Perry, who had just returned from his mission to the Eastern States,
was called upon to be the voice in the blessing." 18
During the blessing Gertie witnessed a spiritual manifestation that enhanced her already
deep spiritual beliefs and strengthened her for the rest of her life. (See document 4 pages
4 & 5)

During Perry's illness most of his care fell to Eddie. Gertie's third child was due at any
moment so she was physically unable to take care of Perry.

Making ends meet was no doubt a difficult task for Eddie and his growing family. Times
were changing and things were different than what their own parents had experienced
when young.

There were larger mercantile stores carrying a variety of nice clothing and home
furnishings if one had the money.

For this younger generation, homespun clothing was no longer the style. Classy, one
horse carriages on improved roads were replacing the old cumbersome utility wagons for
travel to church, shopping and visiting.

Eddie and Gertie were bright and much better educated then earlier generations, and it
would be only natural for them to desire more modern conveniences. Their generation was
beginning to move away from an agrarian to an urban society.

This causes me to believe that farming was not Eddie's first interest, but rather an
alternative in an advancing culture.

During their years in Mapleton Eddie farmed his acreage and also worked in construction
to support his family.

In February 1897, Gertie's Father, Lewis, departed for the mission field for eighteen
months. Willis, Lewis Leon and Frank were still living at home to care for the farm.
However, it is reasonable to assume that during this time Eddie's physical and spiritual
support was ever present in helping Dolly and the children.

During Perrys' recovery from pneumonia Gertie gave birth to a third son whom they named
Lovell Albert. 19

With a growing family, along with a changing society as mentioned previously, it is my
thought that Eddie and Gertie began looking for greater opportunities.

One such place was in Northeast Oregon where a number of Mormon families from Utah
were interested in settling. Easily acquired, cheap land was available with good farming
opportunities, and a newly developing lumber industry.

A Mormon lumberman by the name of George Stoddard had opened a large mill just west
of La Grande and was inclined to hire members of the church. 20

In addition a sugar beet processing plant had been established at La Grande. There was a
great need for farmers from Utah, with their expertise in beet farming, to come to the
Grande Ronde Valley to raise sugar beets for the factory.

Eddie and Gertie received word of this opportunity. They, along with others from the
Springville and Mapleton area, decided to make the move. 21
The full reasons behind their decision will most likely never be known. For whatever the
reasons, Eddie, Gertie and their three small sons made the move to La Grande area in
May 1899. Instead of the old covered wagon, they were able to make the trip on the newly
constructed railroad line. Times were changing! How exciting this journey must have been
for them-especially the young children.

Upon arriving in the valley they first settled in the small Mormon community of Alicel
located in the central part of the Grand Ronde Valley. 22

Shortly after arriving in Alicel, Eddie, for whatever reason, requested and received a
special blessing from the mission area leadership. (See document 5 page 6.)

Within a few weeks after arriving in Alicel, Eddie rented land and began cropping beets for
the new sugar factory in La Grande.

A short time later Gertie's older brother, Willis, and her Uncle John Sylvester Perry arrived
from Utah looking for work in the beet fields. They remained until the middle of July when
they returned to Mapleton with glowing reports of the opportunities found in the Grand
Ronde Valley. It was these reports that motivated Lewis Rosalvo Perry to move his family
to the valley.

In August Lewis and his brother, John Sylvester, arrived in La Grande seeking property.
They soon located 640 acres five miles north of La Grande along the foot hills of the Blue
Mountains. 23

With money down on the property they returned to Mapleton to prepare for the move.
When Gertie's parents arrived in Dec. 1899, they quickly located on their newly purchased
property. Other friends and family from Utah soon followed, and the area eventually
became known as Mt. Glen.

The following Spring Gertie and Eddie re-settled on property near her parents in Mt. Glen.
This property was later deeded to them by Lewis. It was here that Eddie and Gertie lived
until 1907. 24

In addition to farming sugar beets Eddie supported his family in the lumber and
construction trades while in Oregon.

At nearly the same time that Eddie and Gertie settled near her parents at Mt. Glen, the NW
States Mission Authorities came to Mt. Glen and organized a branch of the church. Lewis
R. Perry was set apart as the Branch President and Eddie Killpack was called to be an
instructor in the Sunday School. 25

Eddie Whiting was called to be the new Bishop at Mt. Glen a year later in June 1901.
Eddie (Killpack) was ordained a High Priest and was then called to be Bishop Whiting's
second counselor. Eddie served in this calling until 1907 when he and Gertie moved to
Clawson, Idaho. 26

We have no record of Gerties' church work beyond being a fulltime homemaker for her
husband and three small sons. Since her cousin, Ida Luella Perry, had been called as the
Stake Young Women's President, when the Union Stake was organized in 1901, it is
reasonable to assume that Gertie served in her ward's Young Women's program.

On the 27 August 1902 Eddie and Gertie's family was blessed with a baby girl. They
named her Auleen. I'm sure after three little boys, Auleen was a welcome addition to this
loving family.

Unfortunately, Auleen was not destined to be a part of their earthly family for long. She
became ill and passed away 2 April 1903. It is not known the cause of her death. She had
been a part of their family 7+ months, and it must have been a terrible time for Eddie,
Gertie and all their extended family. Such tragic events always bring great soul searching
to loved ones who are left behind.

The family buried the infant in a small pioneer cemetery just a mile from their home. It is
here where she rests nearly a century later.

Death was not an unfamiliar event to early Americans. Strong LDS parents grieve and then
move on with the assurances that they will be joined once again with these special children
that were so righteous that they needed not linger long in this earthly experience.

Thirteen months after Auleen's death, another infant girl was born to Eddie and Gertie on
the 5th of May 1904. They named her Gladys and her arrival must have brought great joy
to Gertie and Eddy's home. 27

Their third son, Lovell Albert Killpack recorded in his diary many years later, that he started
school at Mt. Glen in 1905, and that his first teacher was his father, Eddie. 28

This seems to be the first opportunity for Eddie to use the teaching skills that he was
trained for in Iowa.

Another joy in Gertie's life were her beautiful flower gardens. She seemed to have
inherited her love for flowers from her mother and Grandfather Edwin Whiting. It is my
understanding that she brought seed for many of the flowers from Grandfather Whiting's
nursery in Springville, Utah. 29

The year 1905 ended on a high note for Eddie and Gertie when a fourth son was born 1
November 1905. This was their sixth child and he was named Willard Frank. 30

Life continued to go well for this young family. Society was consistently finding newer and
better ways to do things. By 1905 the first automobiles began arriving on the scene with
their chugging and backfiring noises. They were at first a disgusting nuisance, but within a
short time they became an acceptable convenience that began replacing the horse and

Along with the automobile came greatly improved roads which brought the communities
closer together. The urban society was on its way.

No matter how well things go for a family, there are always trials to be faced. One such
incident occurred in Eddie and Gertie's life on the 15 of January 1906 when Gladys, about
3-1/2 years old, sustained serious burns to her face and eyes. Gertie sent for Eddie who
was meeting with Bishop Whiting. The two, along with other Elders, gave Gladys a
priesthood blessing. They then rushed her by horse and buggy to La Grande for medical

Once again the Lord, through the power of the priesthood, blessed this righteous-living
family and Gladys soon healed from this near disastrous accident. 31
(See document 6 page 7)

Just a year later other changes took place in Eddie and Gertie's lives. Here we turn to
Glady's account of why her parents moved to Idaho:

"The spring I turned three, my silver tongued cousin, John D. Killpack Jr., came to visit us
and played up the advantages and virtues of a small, beautiful valley where there were
opportunities for cheap land and good farming--my Father, always hoping to better the
condition of the family, listened in rapture, and he and my mother boarded the train and
went on a tour of investigation of the Teton Valley in Idaho.

They came back enthusiastic about what they had seen and heard. My Mother had a big,
painful pimple on her nose when she kissed our relatives and friends in a welcome home
reunion. It was not long until the whole community had small-pox- Mother had gotten them
on the trip and generously shared them with everybody in our home town.

Though Mother had only one sore, the rest of us had plenty of the loathsome things and
were very ill. All but Papa, he never contracted any of the childhood diseases and went
through life never having had any of them.

I was really sick with small-pox. My body was covered with sores and for sometime they
carried me on a pillow." 32

After some consideration, Eddie and Gertie made the decision to move to the Teton area
in May of 1907.

This young family had lived close to Gertie's family nearly all of their married life. It is
certainly conceivable that they felt that they needed more breathing room.

Still another factor was that they had gotten caught up in the fracas that developed
between Gertie's father and his brother John. Perhaps this had cemented their decision to

It is interesting to note that about this same time Willis and Jessie sold their holdings in Mt.
Glen and followed Eddie and Gertie to Idaho.

Again we have Glady's account of their first home in the Teton Valley:

"My next memory is of a little log cabin on a farm in the Teton Valley in Idaho. My folks
went there from Oregon and we lived as the pioneers of the time lived. The cabin had two
rooms-the boys must have slept in the loft. The plumbing was in the back yard and water
came hand-drawn from a 60 foot deep surface well, bucketful by bucketful." 33

Within three months of their arrival, Eddie was called to be the Instructor for the
Theological Department of the ward Sunday School. At the same time he was called to be
the President of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association. 34
Again we have no record of Gertie's church responsibilities in those early years in
Clawson. It would be safe to say, however, that she spent many long hours in the service
of others.

Gladys continues her account:
"We lived in the log cabin only about a year and then we moved to a house on the main
road through Clawson. My folks bought a farm from someone named Lamoreaux. The
Post Office came with the house so Papa became the Post Master. This was interesting -
he handled the mail for everyone around and they all came knocking on the door, night or
day, to see if they had any mail. Each day a man named Ferry Little brought the mail from
Hayden. He drove a team of small horses on a buggy in summer, and on a sleigh in winter,
and he came through rain, hail, sleet, snow or sunshine because the mail must go
through." 35

With their two oldest children and seven grandchildren now living in Idaho, Lewis and Dolly
didn't have much enthusiasm for staying in Oregon. Lewis worked out a deal to trade most
of his property in Mt. Glen for a small farm next to Willis and Jessie in Driggs, Idaho. 36

On the 17June 1908 Gertie gave birth to another son and named him June. Once again
tragedy struck when the infant June passed away 15 September 1908. 37

As with Auleen, we don't know the cause of her death and can only imagine the grief this
caused the family.

Eddie farmed and served as postmaster for Clawson for a period of time until he went to
work for the Government as a forest ranger. 38

From Glady's records:
"When we were kids, Daddy was, for a long time, a Forest Ranger on the Palisade
National Forest. This forest was located in Wyoming on the west side of the Great Teton
Peaks. Daddy's work on the forest involved counting sheep that went on the range, giving
permits for the cutting of wood, and cutting of trees for a lumber mill that existed on his
forest. Watching for poachers was one of his big headaches, and fire fighting was almost
an annual event, this was always a worrisome time to the whole family, because
sometimes we could see the great fires blazing away up there in the mountains and we
knew Daddy was in the thick of the smoke and falling, burning trees.

Many different men from the Forest Service stayed at our home in Clawson when they
came on forestry business. Mother worried about some of them, they were fussy and she
didn't have a lot of fancy groceries to feed them. Most were real nice, but I remember
Frank Ryder - he was the Regional Supervisor and was Daddy's big boss. I remember him
giving Mother strict orders on how his coffee was to be made. I guess Mother wasn't very
good at it since we never used it, but Mother really tried to please him because naturally,
she wanted to make a good impression. But she was nervous about all the cooking when
he was there.

No matter who was visiting in our home Daddy always invited them to kneel with the family
for prayer before breakfast. None of them every refused, and that is something I have
always appreciated. It is a good memory. One of those visiting rangers was Luke Hastings.
I remember him because he was so jolly and played with us kids." 39
When Eddie took the job as Forest Ranger on the Palisade National Forest, he was not
allowed to hold two government jobs, so Gertie was hired to be the Postmistress. "The pay
for the Postmistress consisted of the amount of the postage on the mail sent, or the
cancellation for the day. For instance, if there were 25 letters mailed, the salary was 50
cents--those were the good old days-two cents postage for a letter and 1 cent for a card.
Seldom would there be twenty-five letters mailed--usually more like two or three. There
were lots of picture post cards sent in those days and they were fun, humorous,
sentimental and pretty. All were cherished and stashed away in the Post Card Album." 40

After approximately three years in Driggs, Gertie's parents moved back to La Grande
where many of their family still lived. Eddy and Gertie remained in Idaho along with Willis'
family and Lewis Leon who at the time was courting a young lady from the

Life goes on for Eddie and Gertie. On the 23 March 1911 Gertie gave birth to her fourth
little girl. They named her Erma after Gertie's younger sister. Like the other girls, Erma was
not to live long. She passed away 16 July 1911, just under four months of age. 41

These had to have been very trying times to lose so many of their precious babies.
However this was not an uncommon event for those times again on 3 July 1913 Gertie
either miscarried or gave birth to a stillborn son. Since the child was not given a name I
assume that it was stillborn.
However, Eddie and Gertie's faith never wavered. They were always able to find
happiness through those dark periods of life.

Such a ray of happiness occurred when Eddie was again called to be a counselor in the
Bishopric. This time it was to Bishop Fulmer of the Clawson Idaho Ward. 42

By 1913 Eddie and Gertie had been in Idaho for six years. The older boys were passing
through their teen years. Perry is now 18 years, Leland 17 years, and Lovell was 15 years.
These young men kept busy on their folks' farm and were also working away from home
when opportunities arose.

With the short growing season in the Teton basin, hay and potatoes were the leading cash
crops. Many long, hot, summer days were put in by Eddie and his sons in the hay fields.

About May 1914 Gertie received another spiritual dream concerning her brother, Ross`
infant son. (A copy of the dream can be found in document 7, page 8)

Late August 1914, Gertie was faced with more bad news when she received word from her
mother in La Grande that her father, Lewis, was in serious health and that she should try to
return home if possible. 43

For whatever the reason, Gertie was the only one of the children in Idaho who returned
home to be with her father in his illness.

Gertie spent a month in La Grande and was able to see her father regain some of his
strength through different medications. She returned home the first week of October
bringing the good news.

The middle of October 1914 Eddie was no longer needed at the ranger station for the
winter months. I'm sure that times became tough for the family without a steady income.

During their teen years, Eddie and Gertie's boys were active in school sports and other
things teenagers love to do. Hunting, fishing, swimming and learning about the world
occupied much of their time. With money scarce most parents saw little need for a formal
education. However Eddie and Gertie saw education in a different light. They encouraged
and supported their children in becoming educated as much as possible and taking their
place in an advancing society.

As the Fall of 1914 slipped by, our nation was at war in Europe. This must have been a
discomforting time for Eddie and Gertie since their older sons were approaching military

During November word came from La Grande that Lewis was not doing well. The
Thanksgiving and Christmas Seasons were a difficult time for Gertie. She and her father
had always had a close relationship. 44
Death came on the 29th of December 1914, two days shy of Lewis' 65th birthday. I
suspect that all of the Idaho children had reached home before his death since the funeral
was held two days later on the 31 December 1914.

Lewis was buried in the Mormon section of the La Grande Pioneer Cemetery where he
and Dolly rest to this day. 45

All of the children, with the exception of Willis, lingered for a few days to be with Dolly and
to have their family picture taken for the last time.

Gertie arrived home in Clawson in early January, and it was on the 15th of that month that
the Clawson post office was discontinued. Eddie, who had resigned as forest ranger, was
hired by the government to work as the RDF carrier for the area.

It was no easy chore delivering mail especially during the winter months. The winters were
long and bitterly cold and the deliveries had to be made by horse and sled.

From Glady's record (family life in the summer of 1915):
"Every summer the Clawson ward went on a two or three day camp-out in the mountains
east of us. Daddy was usually the leader since he was so experienced in those
mountains', and he would choose nice camp-sites for us. I remember once when he had a
nice area in mind but in order to reach it the men had to make a road to it. They felled
several sizable trees and shoveled the bank away so that old "white top" buggies could get
through. Then we camped on the bank of the "Big Creek". It was beautiful, the only sound
that of the water rushing over the rocks in that stream bed, and the wind sighing through
the tall pine trees.

Each family had a tent to sleep in but the cooking was done on a big campfire and we all
ate together as one big family. The women made a ruling that everyone had to wash his
own dishes, and agreed that the mothers would do the pots and pans. What sport:
Washing dishes, greasy dishes, in that ice-cold water of that rushing stream. But we
scoured our plates with sand and they ended up "virtually spotless".

We climbed around on the rocks, went wading until our feet were practically frozen. We
jumped rope, played horseshoes, and a lot of other games. One thing we kids liked best
was to bend down a lithe, springy, small pine tree, put a pillow on it for a saddle and
proceed to do some fancy bronco busting. We didn't travel far in any direction but up and
down, but we were great buckaroos.

On our way home from one of these ward outings there were six or eight of us kids riding
horseback, following the caravan of wagons and buggies. We came to the entrance to a
trail which led over the mountain from the canyon over the top and into Teton Canyon.
Daddy had taken Frank and me over the trail perhaps a year before, and on the spur of the
moment I guided my horse to the trail and called to the other kids to follow. Mary Fullmer
refused but the rest went with me. We ignored the calls of our older people and went on
our merry way. Frank was there, Charley Poulsen, Ivy Coleman, Hugh Irwin and a few
others I can't remember. But up that mountainside we went "tra la".

Well, it wasn't as much fun as I thought it was going to be. The trail was overgrown with
brush and it got dark long before we reached the top. But at last we went over the top but it
started to rain and we all got thoroughly soaked and plenty cold. When we reached the
level ground we were fenced in a field and could not find a way out. So we spent the rest
of the night under a tree where some of the kids spent their time crying.

As soon as it was daylight we found a gate and headed for home. Leland met us and told
us our mothers had spent a sleepless night. Then my conscience began to burn. When I
got home Daddy ordered me to accompany him as he went on his rural mail delivery route.
We were in the buggy with the red wheels. Ha! I was in agony waiting for a first class
reprimand, which I knew I richly deserved, but Daddy kept me awake all day. I can't
remember that he scolded or chastised me, in fact, I don't think he talked to me at all, but
wow! That was one adventure I'll never forget. Crime doesn't pay." 46

Eddie was still serving in the bishopric when Gertie was called as the Bee Hive Leader.

Gladys describes her mother leading this program in the year 1915:
"Mother was a Bee Hive leader when the program was first instituted by the Church, and
she inspired and helped many girls throughout the years. In those days (1915) the Bee
Hive program was for all girls 14 years of age and on to marriage. We had many summer
trips by horseback and a lot of fun times as a group. I was too young to belong officially,
but my friends all belonged so I was allowed to go along. One day we were having a
lesson of first-aid; Mother had arranged with one of the girls to pretend to faint when we
got to the strategic point of the lesson. The girl, Mildred Wilcock, got quite nervous waiting
for the right time, and twisted her foot under the front of the couch she was sitting on.
When the time came she fell off the couch and really twisted her ankle. She was so near
fainting that the fake first-aid became a little too realistic." 47

By 1915 the boys were old enough to handle most of the farm work. Eddie's mail carrier
service and heavy church assignments gave him little time for anything else.

As mentioned earlier, the winters were long and cold with deep snow for months on end. It
took a pioneer spirit to endure such conditions. Eddie and Gertie had such a spirit.

While the Killpack's worked hard they had fun times as well. Glady's memories of the "Old
Church House" in Clawson demonstrate some of these good times:
"There it sat all alone, in the middle of a barren plot of ground on the town site of Clawson,
Idaho. It was small, and built of logs--I won't even try to guess the size of it because things
from childhood always seem larger than they really were, but it had only one room with a
small raised platform (the stage) across one end of it. In the center, the pot-bellied heating
stove sent out its warm welcome, and lucky were the people who could sit near it. At least
one side of them could keep warm, but woe unto those who had to sit very far from it-they
were partakers of icy feet and shivering shoulders.

There were wires stretched across the room and outing flannel (dull, sickly gray) curtains
were suspended on the wires. These curtains could be pulled across the space to divide
the big room into small class rooms for Sunday School, primary, and MIA. Sometimes the
competition between classes was rather noticeable.

The seating arrangements consisted of benches made of pine boards--there were plenty of
splinters, and sometimes those benches got all fired hard--especially during the two-hour
Sacrament meetings.

But the Church House was the Community Center. Most of the social life was centered
there. We had ward dinners, dances, programs and melodramas. People came from far
and near to participate in the goings-on. In the summer they came in their buggies and
wagons--there were white-top buggies, small black buggies with red wheels and one or
two surreys with the fringe on the top. Then there were the good old farm wagons--all of
them pulled by the trusty teams of horses. In the winter everyone shifted the big wagon
box from the wagon to a bob-sleigh and went skimming over the snow, through the bitter
cold. But the snow and cold didn't stop people from traveling. They put clean straw in the
bottom of the wagon-box, covered that with heavy quilts, added some flatirons or rocks
that had been heated in the oven, climbed in and covered themselves with more quilts and
blankets and away they went.

When we had ward dinners the men set up tables-boards laid on saw horses, the women
out did themselves cooking up the most delicious food they could manage from the
meager supplies on hand. After everyone was well-fed the ladies removed the food and
the men cleared away the tables--someone would start playing chords on the old pump
organ and maybe Charlie Phillips played some toe-tickling tunes on his fiddle and
everyone danced. All this time the babies lay sleeping peacefully on beds made on
benches on the stage at the end of the room. Even us little kids clutched each other and
executed dance routines the like of which have not been seen before or since. The grown-
ups whirled merrily in waltzes, two-steps, and square dances.

At one time it was stylish for the best-dressed ladies to have a panel on the back of their
skirts which was attached at the waist only so that when the lady whirled on the dance
floor the panel swished out behind her creating quite an eye catcher. I remember Evelyn
Hochstrasser, a beautiful girl from Tetonia wearing a lovely purple velvet dress with such a
panel on the back. I can still see the panel flying this way and that as she danced a waltz-

When I was a little older I loved dancing the Rye Waltz, and the Virginia Reel, well as the
other dances of the day. "Red Wing" was a favorite dance tune. Papa never danced;
Mama loved to but seldom did because Papa didn't care to.

I enjoyed going to Primary in the old Church House. We had interesting stories on honesty,
faith, dependability, truthfulness, etc. And we always had many lessons about our Prophet,
Joseph Smith, and stories of early Church History. These lessons gave us a background
for our lives. Joseph Smith was as real to me as if I actually knew him.

We were given opportunities to give talks, to recite poetry we had memorized, we called
this "speaking a piece". We had rest exercises where we could move around a few
minutes--Hattie Wilcock, one of the teachers, used to lead us in a rest exercise called 'The
Firemen,' where we all were pretending to be asleep with our hands folded and leaning on
one side of our faces; the bell would ring and we all leaped to our feet, pulled on our pants
and slid down an imaginary pole, then we harnessed our horses and galloped away to the
fire. I always got a lot of fun watching Sister Wilcock pantomiming pulling on her pants and
pull the suspenders over her shoulders.

The Primary always put on a Christmas program and we had fun preparing them. The
teachers were diligent, some of them came several miles to get to the Church to put us
kids through the rehearsals. They always worked very hard so the program would be well
done. If we kids had been as dedicated as the teachers were it would have been nice. One
of these programs had a play in which I was Mrs. Santa Claus and Harbor Davidson was
Santa. His Mother, Rose was the Primary president.

Two other Christmases I remember-- They hung a cheese cloth curtain across the back of
the stage. In front of the curtain there was a baby in a manger, Mary and Joseph, wise
men and shepherds. Behind the curtain there was a row of small children dressed in long
white, cheese-cloth dresses. We had a ring of tinsel around our heads and we sang 'Far,
Far Away on Judea's Plains'. Once in my life I was an angel.

Another Christmas there was a big Christmas tree decorated with all kinds of homemade
decorations. People brought their children's gifts and placed them under the tree for Santa
to distribute. Mama warned us ahead of time that there would be only
one small gift for each of us, since she preferred having Santa bring our gifts to our home.
But there were so many things on and under that tree for some of the neighbor kids it was
embarrassing to see them called up so often. I was glad to have my Christmas at home
where we could have the fun of family privacy and sharing." 48

In the year 1917 Eddie and Gertie's worst fears came to pass when their son, Leland, had
to report for military duty. Glady's recorded a list of his military duties as follows:

"I was heart-broken when he had to go in the army in 1917. He only got as far away as
Camp Grant in Illinois which was a great relief to us. That was the period of the great
influenza epidemic in the country, when hundreds of people died. Leland was assigned to
work in the Camp Grant morgue preparing bodies to ship home. The bodies were sealed in
the caskets and people were not allowed to open the casket when it reached home. He
helped with more than a thousand dead bodies and it was a most unpleasant memory for
him as long as he lived." 49

Eddie held the RDF carrier job until May 1919 when the family moved from their farm and
rented another dry land farm 8 miles west of Idaho Falls at a place known as New
Sweden. Once again Gladys leaves a vivid description of that year, "When he (Leland)
came home he felt that there were places in the world where the family could find a better
life and living conditions than where we were in the Teton Valley. So he persuaded Daddy
to head back toward Oregon. We spent a summer on a dry farm west of Idaho Falls, Idaho
(New Sweden). Leland worked at the railroad freight depot in Idaho Falls, and Lovell got a
job as water master on the big irrigation canal near where we lived. Their salaries
supported the family that summer. It was a miserable, hot, dry, summer. The water for the
house came from a very deep well and had to be pumped up from its depth with a steam
engine. Perry gathered sagebrush which grew to enormous size in that area, and used it
for fuel to operate the engine to pump the water into a cistern. There were great beds of
lava close by, and we kids found some fun exploring it. But there were also a lot of
rattlesnakes to be found so it was a dangerous business.

When fall came that farm had not produced enough to feed a low-grade snail, so then we
headed for Oregon. Leland and I went on ahead so I could start to High School. There had
been no school allowed the year of the flu so I was already a year behind. I lived with
Grandma Perry in La Grande and went to the La Grande High School. Leland lived with
Uncle Frank and Aunt Jessie in Imbler, Oregon, and found a job in a box factory." 50

As mentioned previously by Gladys, money was very scarce for Eddie and Gertie. If it
hadn't been for the older boys working and earning money to help their parents financially
during 1919, life would have been very difficult.

Eddie finally realized that farming in the Teton area was never going to be anything other
than subsistence living at best.

Following Leland's encouragement, Eddie and Gertie made the decision to sell their farm
in Clawson and return to La Grande. It is my belief that Eddie realized that his best bet in
making a decent living was in the construction business.

The Clawson farm, with animals and equipment, finally sold late fall, and they packed all
their personable belongings and returned to Oregon by rail in early Dec. 1919. Lovell,
Leland and Gladys were already in La Grande, So Eddie, Gertie, Frank, along with Perry's
family made the move together. According to Lovell's diary, upon their arrival his parents
purchased a small home next door to Dolly at 2608 North Ash Street in La Grande. 51

Christmas day of 1919 found Leland, Perry and Gladys at Frank and Jessie's home while
Eddie, Gertie and Frank spent the day with Dolly's brother Edwin Whiting in Mt. GIen. 52

Two days after Christmas Eddie and Gertie had additional concerns when Lovell had to be
operated on for appendicitis. During Lovell's stay in the hospital, the doctor discovered that
he had leakage of the heart which had apparently occurred when he suffered Rheumatic
Fever earlier as a young boy. After several months of rest Lovell was able to return to a
more normal life. 53

After settling into their new home in La Grande, Eddie went to work in the building trade.
Having lived on a farm all their lives, city living must have been quite an adjustment for the
family. However, their lives soon became so busy that they no doubt relished not having to
take care of farm chores every day.

Gertie was once again pregnant when they left Idaho. At the age of forty-four years, I'm
sure after having lost 4 previous children, there was great trepidation in all their hearts over
this pregnancy.

On the 14 April 1920, great relief surely came to all when another son was born. They
named him Val Lewis. 54

With the youngest of their other children being 15 years of age, a new baby in the home
must have been an exciting experience for all of them.

Sometime early in 1920 another sad experience occurred for Gertie when her brother
Willis returned to the Grande Rhonde Valley without his family. Willis and his wife, Jessie,
had been having marital problems for some time, and, for whatever the reason, Willis
separated from his family and resettled in Imbler where his three younger brothers, Ross,
George and Frank, were living.

Early in 1920 Eddie was called to teach in the Stake High Priest Quorum as well as serve
as an alternate on the Stake High Council.

On the 12 September 1920, Eddie was called as a Ward Teacher and President of the
YMMI. He was also called to serve as an advisory teacher in the Stake Sunday School.

On June 19 he was called to serve as Superintendent of the Stake Religion Class
(forerunner of the Seminary program). October 30, 1921 Eddie was called to the Stake
High Council of the Union Stake. 55

While we have a complete family record of Eddie's church assignments in La Grande, the
family records concerning Gertie's church service are silent during this period. It is with
certainty that she labored in some capacity. However, most of her time was spent caring
for the needs of her family and infant son Val.

June 1922 the Perry family welcomed a new daughter-in-law when Gertie's brother, Ross,
married Leo Grace Doering (my mother). Ross's first wife, Ruth Billings, had died from a
toxic goiter some years earlier. 56

In 1922 Eddie and Gertie's older children had left home to make a life for themselves:
Perry was now 27 years of age, married with three children. He and his family had settled
on a small property near La Grande.

Leland, 26 years of age, Lovell 24 years and Gladys 18 years were living in Provo sharing
an apartment. Leland and Lovell were enrolled at BYU, but it is not known if Gladys was
enrolled or just keeping house for her brothers.

This left George and the infant Val at home in La Grande.

It had to have been lonely for Eddie and Gertie to have their older children gone from
home, but this is the adjustment all parents face sooner or later. On the other hand having
Gertie's mom, Dolly, close by must have been comforting.

During the Spring of 1924 Lovell had been spiritually guided to the girl that would become
his eternal mate. Her name was Hazel Foote and she descended from a pioneer family.

Shortly before their marriage in the Salt Lake Temple on the 6th of June 1924, Gertie
wrote a beautiful letter welcoming Hazel into the Killpack family. One can see from the
contents of this letter some of the wonderful qualities Gertie possessed On a personal note
- we, the later generations, can appreciate the fact that this letter was preserved and we
have the benefit of knowing Gertie just a bit better. I hope everyone reading this will take
the time to read this letter. It can be found as Doc. 8 page 9.

Once Hazel and Lovell were married in Salt Lake City they boarded the train for La Grande
where they spent the summer with Eddie and Gertie.

During the newlyweds stay in La Grande the whole family went to Wallowa Lake for a
campout like the many they had enjoyed while living in Clawson. This probably brought
back many fond memories of when the children were all at home and they camped out as
a family.

Gertie was now approaching 50 years of age and her many years of hard work were
beginning to take a toll on her health.

In March of 1925 she came down with Whooping Cough. The following excerpt comes
from Gertie's autobiography:

"I had a very bad case of whooping cough. The doctor put whooping cough serum in both
of my arms. The serum seemed to eat the flesh off my arms. The serum caused a lot of
puss to form and my arms had to be lanced. Doctor Moore said he had never seen
anything like it in all his experience." 57

Along with her bout with Whooping Cough, Gertie began doctoring for her nerves, heart
and gall bladder. In Sept. 1926 she was operated on, but she left no record for the purpose
of the operation. There is some evidence that it was for her gall bladder. 58

On December 26, 1926 Gertie records in her life story the following: "Since my operation in
September last (1926) I have suffered with a pain in the cords of my neck. I have been
taking electrical treatments for it from Dr. Moore. Taking nerve and heart medicine and sun
baths helped me later." 59

The following February 22, 1927, Gertie records: "I came down with the flu today. We have
Perry's boys here while Lloyd is in the hospital with blood poisoning in his knee. They all
took the flue along with Val and I. Val was very sick. Much worse on the 23rd. Had a high
fever." 60

Twenty days later, the 12th of March, she records; "Viola Anderson is helping us this
week. I have not been able to work since I have had the flu." 61

On the 12th of June 1927 Gertie records another entry in her journal that is worth
mentioning: "E. A. is working at Medical Springs helping build houses for the Stoddard
Brothers. We decided to go with him and camp a few weeks to see if it would help Val's
hay fever and so I could take some medical baths for the trouble in my neck. We stayed
until the 23rd of July. We both improved." 62

It was at this time that George Stoddard moved his large lumber mill from Perry west of La
Grande to Medical Springs. Eddie was hired to build housing for the employees who would
be working at the mill.

During these years more of Eddie and Gertie's children were marrying. Gladys married
Elmer Peterson in the Salt Lake Temple on 13 September 1923; Leland married Lola Mae
Jenkins in the temple on 17 December 1925; and Frank married Zelma Van Leuven in the
temple on 6 June 1928. This left Val still at home.

Prosperity had reigned in America for the past decade, but things were about to change. In
October 1929 the great stock market crash occurred and the nation quickly fell into a deep
depression with thousands of people out of work.

Everything slowed down including the construction business. Eddie soon found it very
difficult to make a living. With hard times upon them and with all their older children
married and living in Utah, Eddie and Gertie made the decision to sell their home on Ash
Street in La Grande and return to their roots in Utah. This must have been a difficult
decision for Gertie to leave her aged mother, Dolly, behind along with several of her own
family members.

It is easy to understand their decision. When one's age and health is not what it once was,
and your children are putting pressure on you to move closer to them, it is difficult to say
After much soul-searching, Gertie left her mother, brothers and sister behind. She and
Eddie relocated to Murray, Utah in August 1930. There seems to be no recorded
particulars concerning their move. They apparently sold their home in La Grande and
bought or rented a small acreage in Murray.

Shortly after Eddie and Gertie's move, their son, Perry and his wife and children, followed
from Oregon to Murray. Perry's son Loren, many years later, recalled their move. "We
moved to Utah in a Model "T" Ford. It took us about 5 days, and I don't know how many flat
tires." 63

Eddie and Gertie's move back to Utah brought joy to their lives to be near their children
and grandchildren, but it didn't bring relief from their many aches and pains. Gertie records
in her life story that she entered the LDS Hosptial in Salt Lake City on 4 December 1930
(about 4 months after their move.) to be operated for female
trouble. She was in the hospital with great suffering for five days, and then went to Leland
and Lola's home for an additional thirteen days of recovery. 64

Four months later, April 25, 1931, Gertie records the following; "I had a carbuncle come on
the back of my neck and one on my chin. They got so bad I had to go to the Dr.
(Sherrianian). He lanced them both. The one on my chin got better but the one on my neck
got worse. Terrible pain. I went to the Dr. eleven times to have it opened and the cores
taken. He would take out several cores sometimes. Oh but it would hurt and make me so
sick and fainty.

The carbuncle was 5 1/2" across and seven inches long, seemed as hard as stone.
Looked like a large blue plum on top and the cavity in it was large enough to put your
thumb in. It was between the large cords in back of my neck right in the nerve center just
under the scull bone, it was like a hard cushion under there.

Down my spine and below my shoulders were large and small lumps (there is still one by
my shoulder at this date Nov. 11, 1936). 1 kept hot packs on it for three weeks, walking

the floor and spending countless hours visiting and looking after almost tearing my hair I
was suffering so much. It drained for six weeks. I lost over 20 lbs.

On Mother's day the children, all but Gladys who was in Idaho, came to see me. We were
still at Murray. We called in Brother Brinton and Brother Pool and they with the assistance
of Daddy, Perry, Leland, Lovell and Frank administered to me. I was relieved of pain most
of the day_ Brother Brinton offered a wonderful prayer. Gave me a grand blessing and
tribute as a mother of such a fine family. All of the family were there but Elmer, Gladys and
Nadine and Lola.

Two more big boils came on my neck which had to be lanced and cleaned out three times.
I got pretty thin and weak after so much suffering.

It is now July 6 and I am not yet able to do all of my work. I have another boil on my neck
now. It is quite painful and lots of kernels on my neck above and below it." 65

In May 1931, Eddie and Gertie moved from Murray to Midvale. Though they continued
suffering from a variety of health problems, Eddie and Gertie's years in Midvale - for the
most part - were good years. Shortly after their arrival, Eddie was called to be the
instructor for the Gospel Doctrine class. He was the oldest High Priest in the Midvale
Second Ward. 66

In October 1933 a great loss occurred in Gertie's life when her mother, Dolly, passed
away. Dolly's passing did not come as a surprise to the family since she had been in failing
health for a number of months.

My brother Wendell - who was eight years old - remembers grandmother's passing. One
thing that he recalls quite vividly at the funeral home was how Gertie spent several minutes
fussing over Dolly making sure her hair looked just right and her temple clothing was
properly fitted without wrinkles, etc.

Along with his church work, Eddie supported his family through a variety of construction
projects. One such job was helping his son, Frank, build a new home in Provo during
1935. 67

During these same years, Gertie was actively involved in church and genealogical work as
her health allowed it.

She served as their Ward Relief Society President spending countless hours visiting and
looking after the needs of her ward sisters. 68

From May to October of each year Gertie spent a staggering amount of time picking and
canning vegetables, berries and fruit for their winter food.

In addition to all this she recorded her activities from November 1934 to November 1935:
"I made thirteen scrap books on various subjects, and mounted 120 pictures for the Hobby
Show at Midvale, Utah. Mended books for the Midvale public library. Made 1,285 medical
dressings through the Red Cross for the General Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. I
attended a Red cross Home Care of the sick class, one day a week for four months.
Passed the examination with 92% grade. Received a certificate for same at a banquet
given for the class May 2, 1935, which was presented by Utah County Red Cross
secretary. Attended a sewing class two afternoons a week from January to May. Mrs.
Mitchell, teacher. Attended an English class two afternoons a week from January to May
at Midvale. Pres. Porter as teacher. Set apart as Relief Society teacher Sept. 16, 1935.
Performed this duty once a month. Appointed as Garner class leader in Relief Society
Sept. 9. It required a lot of time. Did a great deal of work in the Temple doing endowments
and also sealings for sixty four couples and thirteen families." 69

Gertie goes on: "Feb. 1935 - Chosen, as scrap book keeper for the Daughters of Utah
Pioneer Camp Glover Midvale. Collected a lot of material. Spent three days in Hobble
Creek Canyon. Springville, attending the Whiting Reunion. Took my husband to the
hospital at least twenty times for treatment for stomach ulcers. Took Val to the hospital to
have his tonsils out, at Salt Lake. Cared for Mr. Ayletts lawn and flowers, also our lawn,
flowers and garden. Lots of irrigating " 70

It staggers one's imagination to think of all the work that Gertie was able to accomplish at
her age and still continue her willing service to others.

As mentioned before, Eddie helped Frank build a new home in Provo in 1935. Part of this
home included a basement apartment where Gertie and Eddie were to live.

Sometime late 1935 to early 1936 the home was completed and Gertie, Eddie and Val
moved from Midvale to Provo. This was a good move for Gertie and Eddie who were in
their declining years. Frank and Zelma were there to look after them.

Gertie left a daily journal listing high lights of their lives during the Provo years. Cousin
Garth spent countless hours typing each daily entry. It is so interesting to read these
accounts in Gertie's own words.

Life after Eddie and Gertie's move to Provo continued as usual. They were as active in
church, family and community events as their health would allow.

Eddie served as Ward Teacher, Genealogy Specialist, instructor in a variety of church
classes. He labored at the Bishop's Storehouse whenever needed. During the summer
months, he cultivated a large garden, which they shared with family and friends.

Gertie served another stint as Relief Society President for her Provo Ward. She canned
and preserved food for her extended family and friends as usual.

Between all of these activities, she and Eddie spent countless hours doing temple work.

As the Depression wore on, each passing year brought more trials to their lives. Despite
their many ailments, however, Eddie and Gertie made every effort to make their last years

During the winter of 1937-38 Leland and Lola coaxed them to spend the winter in the
warmer climate of Arizona. They left 301 Dec. 19317 and returned home 13 April 1938.            71

Their time in the sunbelt was enjoyable, but it did not bring much relief, from their ailments.

When they returned to Provo in April, they agreed to spend the summer in Ogden looking
after Glady's and Elmer's home while Elmer attended BYU for advanced training. 72
The summer months slipped by quickly with Gertie doing her usual canning and preserving
food for the winter months.

On the 6th of August 1938 Eddie and Gertie packed their car and returned home to Provo.

Another milestone for Eddie and Gertie happened 18 Feb 1939 when their Grandson,
Merlin Killpack's wife, gave birth to their first child. To be grandparents is one thing, but to
become great grandparents brings the reality of old age settling in on one's life. 73

Things went pretty much the same throughout 1939 for Eddie and Gertie. About the first of
November Frank and Zelma decided to spend Thanksgiving with Zelma's parents in Baker,
Oregon. They talked Eddie and Gertie into going with them to Baker The next day Frank
drove them on to La Grande where they stayed with Erma and Hugh over the holiday.

Thanksgiving day was spent at Erma's where a number of family and friends stopped by to

After five days of visiting, Gertie and Eddie returned to Baker for a day before going on to
Utah with Frank and Zelma on Nov. 29, 1939. 74

I was six years old and truly wish that I could remember some of the events of Eddie and
Gertie's visit, but my mind is blank. In one of Gertie's journal notes she mentions that Leo's
baby was sick. This would have been my sister Deanna who was two months old.

Eddie and Gertie's lives continued the same with many spells of illness intermingled with
moments of happiness through early 1940.

Val, who had graduated frorn high school the previous year, forsook college for the U.S.
Coast Guard. 75

This was of great concern to his parents since there were war clouds on the horizon.

During the summer of 1940, Eddie raised his usual garden, and Gertie spent her time in
canning and preserving food as well as looking after the needs of others.

By mid August1940, Gertie was suffering from frequent gall bladder attacks. Her suffering
continued through October when the doctors finally operated on her gall bladder
November 13th. Her recuperation lasted through the holiday season into the new year of
1941. 76

It was during this operation that Gertie had another of her amazing spiritual experiences.(
See Doc. 9, page 10.)
By late January, Gertie was feeling better when Val returned home on leave from the
Coast Guard. This brought great joy to Eddie and Gertie's lives.

While Val was home for two weeks, he and his sweetheart, Afton Johnson, became
engaged with plans for a fall wedding.

During the spring and summer months of 1941, Eddie's heart problems grew worse.
Besides his heart, he was severely troubled with asthma, ulcers, high blood pressure, eye
and headache pain, nerves, and in August of 1941 he suffered a terrible bout of Shingles.
All of these problems together took a toll on Eddie, but he continued looking for the
brighter side of life.

During these same months, Gertie realized the operation on her gall bladder the previous
November wasn't the answer to her frequent back problems. The doctors were mystified
as to what was going on with the pain or how to help her.

During this time, their medicine and doctor bills were taxing their limited resources. Their
children, recognizing the plight of their parents, began assisting them in everyway
possible. Finally, in April 1941, Eddie and Gertie were granted an "OldAge Pension" of
$30.00 a month which surely helped relieved the economic stress that they were enduring.

The 7th of December brought their worst fears when America was plunged into war with
Japan. Val was still serving in the Coast Guard, which was actively patrolling up and down
the eastern shores of the United States.

Despite Japan's despicable act, Afton - as scheduled - left for Boston on the 8th of
December to meet up with Val to be married. They were married four days later. 78

During the first four months of 1942, Eddie's health continued to fail. Many days were now
being spent in bed.

Early in March 1942, Gertie wrote a very touching letter to their family to be placed in their
Ward's Relief Society Time Capsule which was not to be opened for twenty-five years. It
was a very loving letter, and a copy can be found as Doc. 10, page11.

The weeks slip by, and on Sunday, 14 June 1942, Eddie suffered a stroke while Gertie
was at Church. The doctor told the family that a blood clot had broken loose and lodged in
his brain, For the next two days Eddie slipped in and out of consciousness. This is how
Gertie describes those days in her journal:

"Mon. Jun. 15 Daddy very much worse. Frank phoned Leland and Gladys. Called the
doctor, he said a blood clot had gone from his heart to his brain, and partly paralyzed his
speech. He tries so hard to tell us something. Gladys came today.

Tue. Jun.16 Daddy called me by name twice today. Phoned Leland again this morning,
he will leave at 3 o'clock. Daddy has had a very bad night of suffering. He is restless if I
leave his bed. He is not conscious much of the time. Perry, Amy, Lovell, Hazel, Gladys and
Frank spend every minute at his bed side that is possible. Zelma comes in often but she is
ill and ready to go to the hospital. America Perry, Pres. R. S., sister Cook, Counselor,
Sister Norman and Sister Billings are most of the time. Many other friends are calling.
The Bishop called a prayer circle to ask for Daddy to be released from this terrible
suffering. After the prayer circle Daddy went to sleep and rested for some time.

Wed, Jun. 17 At 8:55 this morning my darling husband died. My heart went with him. It
was hard for him to go. I cannot tell how I will live without him. His kind and loving words
will ever linger with me. They brought me up to Franks before the end came. I stayed by
him as long as he was conscious in the least. He held to my hand or dress and tried so
hard to tell me something. He knew my heart was breaking.

Leland arrived about four o‟clock. Sent a wire to Afton and others. Many friends and
relatives called this afternoon and evening to offer comfort. Gladys and I stayed at Sister
Norman‟s home last night. We had breakfast there.

Thu. Jun. 18 I am still at Franks. They are all so kind to me. The children took me to town
to get a dress and hat. We went to the mortuary to see our Dear Daddy. He looks so
beautiful in his Holy robes. Friends and relatives are calling to see us by the dozens. Perry,
Lovell, Frank, Gladys, Sister Billings, America Perry, R.S. President, Sister Cook,
Counselor were here when Daddy died.

Fri. Jun. 19 They brought Daddy home this morning. He is not suffering now. He has such
a peaceful look on his face, but a little sad look around his mouth. He has a lovely casket
of a purple brown hue. Flowers are coming now. Many, many beautiful sprays and baskets
The room is more than half filled with flowers. It looks like Heaven. Daddy loved flowers so
much. The family spray is made up of carnations, roses and sweet peas. His three favorite
flowers. The house is filled with friends and relatives coming and going. Elmer and the girls
came this morning. The services were very fine. We had Miss Pendelton take them down
in short hand so that Val might read them when he returns. We went back out to the
cemetery tonight. Gladys and Elmer went home tonight. Leland and I stayed out to Lovells
tonight. The Relief Society sisters prepared a lovely lunch after the services. Elmer and
Frank took pictures of the grave. We all went out to the cemetery this evening." 79

From the above journal entries, one can sense the broken heart that Gertie felt with the
passing of her life-time companion. They had been happily married 47-1/2 years, but it is
sad for me that they couldn't have reached that golden milestone of fifty years.

To get a better sense of what a wonderful person Eddie was. (see Doc. 11, pages 12-14
for excerpts from the funeral services for him).

During the weeks and months which followed Eddie's death, there were frequent entries in
Gertie's journal reflecting her loneliness. Many trips were made to the cemetery with
flowers to express her love to her departed mate.

Though her family smothered her with love and attention, it wasn't quite the same without
Eddie there to share those precious moments.

As her health allowed, she continued spending many hours in helping and comforting
others as well as putting countless hours in for the Red Cross.

The summer and fall months slip by as Gertie strives diligently to stave off her frequent
lonesome feelings.

Early December Gertie decided to escape the cold and dreary days of Utah and spend
time with Leland's family in Phoenix, where she knew her cousin Iris Whiting Brown at the
Phoenix 3rd Ward, then later in Tucson when Leland and Lola moved there. Leland
worked with the telephone company. Gertie boarded the train for Tucson on December
11th and arrived early in the morning of December 13th 1942.

Christmas was always a very special day for Gertie and Eddie, but even though she was
with her Arizona family, things weren‟t the same this year. It was still very hard for her to
accept her loss.
On the 15th of January 1943, Gertie records the following in her journal: "Today is Daddy's
birthday. He would have been Seventy-three years old. I am so lonely. The sun is so warm
today. Very cold last night. Cleaned bedrooms" 80

During her stay in Arizona, Gertie stayed busy at the Red Cross, quilting in Lola's ward
and enjoying her grandchildren. In her spare time she was writing letters and trying to
recover from frequent gall colic attacks.

May 5, 1943 Gertie boarded the train to return to her home in Provo.    81

The summer of 1943 Gertie spent most of her time canning, quilting, making first aid
supplies at the Red Cross, and looking after the sick and downtrodden.

September 7, 1943, Gertie records the following: "My 68th birthday. Frank's little girls
came down and sang Happy Birthday, brought gifts. Elsie and Orla gave me a hankie.
Lovell and Hazel and children came and brought gifts. Frank and Zelma came at noon
with a gift. Frankie brought me a nice little cake. I had a card and five dollars from Elmer,
Gladys and girls. Card from Maurice Busbee, Lolene's friend. Letter from Lola saying
Lolene was worse. Letter from Val and Afton. Made a patchwork dog. Box candy and
mending kit from Gladys." 82

Then on October 3rd this entry: Stayed home all day and listened to Conference.
Lonesome. I thought some of the children would call but no one came. 83

An entry on 7 November 1943 reveals her silent anguish in the last years of her life: "I
went to Fast Meeting again to Singing Mothers practice then choir practice then to Relief
Society Conference and home to a lonesome house. Today is my wedding day, 49 years
ago I was a happy bride. Today I am an unhappy widow. No one else has thought of my
anniversary. I wanted to go to the cemetery with a few flowers which I brought in a week
ago so they would not be frozen." 84

As 1943 closes, Gertie leaves this entry on Christmas Day: "As soon as ! was up I got a
cramp. It bothered me all day. I could not eat much. I opened my parcels. Received a lot
of lovely gifts. We went out to Lovell's for a while. They came down here in the afternoon
(late). I took a bad cramp after they left, was ill all night. I received 74 Christmas cards.
Snowing today.” 85

In her journal entry summing up 1943, Gertie says she wrote 156 letters that year. Most of
us today don't write that many in a lifetime.

During the early months of 1944, Gertie's Gall Colic attacks worsened. March 21 she
records: " Today as soon as I had breakfast I took a cramp. It bothered me all day. About
3:30 it got much worse. I was just frantic with pain. Zelma came down and did all she could
for me. It took five or six doses of medicine before I got easy. I rested some, but felt sick
and bad all night. Zelma called Doctor about the X-rays, he said they did not show any
stones." 86

Gertie's spirits received a huge boost when she received word from Afton and Val that they
would be home on leave the 9th of April with their baby who was now 17 months.

The kids arrived safely to a joyous welcome. Val had not been home since his leave in
April 1941, nearly three years. In the days ahead there was much visiting to be caught up

The 19 April was a joyous day for all when Gertie and several members of the family
gathered in the Salt Lake Temple to witness the Sealing of Afton, Val and Lewis together
as an Eternal Family. This joyous occasion was added to that day when Gladys and
Elmer's daughter, Nadine, was also married to her fiance in the Temple. 87

Sunday the 23 April, Val stopped by Gertie's to take some pictures and say goodbye. He
was on his way to Salt Lake where he would catch the train back to Boston and his station.
Afton and their baby Lewis were remaining behind for a longer visit. 88

Monday June 5th Afton and baby Lewis returned back to Boston to be with Val.

On the next day Gertie leaves this Journal entry: "Today this terrible invasion of Europe is
on. People all over the world are praying for the boys and girls over there. I have lived to
feel the worries of three wars, World War one, and two and the Spanish American. This
one is the worst. President Roosevelt had the world join him in prayer tonight for the boys
and girls who are in this war." 89
The Gall Colic attacks were occurring almost daily. Her doctors had all but thrown up their
hands in trying to help her. In one more attempt to find something that would work. Her
doctors started her on weekly serum shots.

July 18 she records the following entry:
"Feel fairly good this morning. About seven I had another liver pain. Lasted until three in
the morning. Took seven Codene tablets before it eased up. Nauseated and vomiting the
rest of night and all next day." 90

By August 3 she was no longer able to get out of bed or feed herself. After several more X-
rays, the doctors knew something had to be done. Another major surgery was scheduled
for the 14th of August.

She leaves the following entry: "This morning I was operated on by Doctor Georges with
Doctors Fred Taylor and Lloyd Cullimore helping. They found two stones the size of the
end of your finger in the ducts which carry the bile. A drain tube was inserted. For about
ten days or two weeks from one to two pints of bile drained out every twenty-four hours. I
was in the hospital three and a half weeks after the operation." 91

Love and attention came from family and friends alike during this critical time of her life. In
my mind it is with a certainty that Eddie was there in spirit as well.

Finally, she was released from the hospital on the 8 September to return home where her
family could be more directly involved in her recovery.

Through the fall and winter months of 1944-45, Gertie gradually regained enough strength
so that she was able to care for her needs.

However, her days of heavy activity had ended. She would continue on but at a much
slower pace.

While her Gall Colic attacks had subsided dramatically, she was still suffering from heart
and arthritic problems. The doctors were giving her frequent gold shots to help relieve the
arthritic pain.

The spring months of 1945 pass quickly. Gertie would go to the cemetery often to leave
flowers and spend time with her loved one.

Once the war had ended in Europe, this dear mother was much relieved over the safety of
her youngest son while defending this nation's Atlantic Seaboard. It wasn't only Val's
welfare that she was concerned, but there were a number of other grandchildren, cousins,
etc. who had been in harms way during portions of the war. The surrender of Japan on 14
August brought much relief to Gertie as well as all the world.

Reflecting on that day, Gertie recorded the following: "A year ago today I was operated on
for Gall Stones. Today I went to a Relief Society social at the Pioneer Park. 6 o'clock
tonight it was announced that the Japs had surrendered to the Allies. Every one is trying to
celebrate, noise, people and cars everywhere." 92

It was during the months ahead that Gertie began intensifying her efforts on individual and
family histories of those who had passed on. Thanks to this magnificent woman, we know
much about our early Perrys, Whitings, and many other family members.

Gertie's following entry is worth sharing: "My birthday. Relief Society sisters called and
surprised me. We had a nice time. I received lots of nice cards, flowers and gifts. Lovell
and Hazel called in the evening with gifts. Perry and Amy sent me gifts. Gladys and family
sent gifts. Friends called with money, flowers and gifts." 93

On October 18, 1945, Val, Afton, and the boys arrived by automobile from Massachusetts .
It took the whole family by surprise and brought great joy to all their hearts.

Three weeks later Val returned to Boston to complete his last six months, while Afton and
the children remained in Utah.

Gertie left this thought on the last day of 1945: "Cleaning a little. What does the new year
mean to me? Not much to look forward to. Do not feel very good." 94

At times she seems quite despondent and ready to move on to a new life. Older people
tend to feel this way as they grow older.

The first five months of 1945 were much the same for Gertie. Many days of aches and
pains interspersed with days of feeling better. But how do you keep a person with her will
and desire for helping others contained?

June 3rd she gathered a few of her granddaughters and neighbor girls around her to teach
them such creative arts as sewing, knitting, netting, and crocheting. She met with the girls
several times a week, and by the end of August she had them making pillows, dolls, and
an assortment of other craft items.

September 6th Gertie leaves this journal entry: "Today we had our Lazy Daisy sewing
class exhibition here in my living room. The display was lovely. The girls have made 187
articles. The room is nearly filled. Every thing is made well. People have seen the display.
The girls served lemonade and cookies and gave a tiny yarn doll as a favor. They surely
were nice little hostesses. The class is over now for this year. The girls surprised me with
gifts and cards. A lovely table cloth and china lamb with an ivy plant growing in it" 95

This was "Vintage-Gertie." How she loved to share her time and talents helping others.
By spring of 1947 Gertie had grown very weak and was spending much of her time in bed.
The Gall Colic attacks were occurring with greater frequency. The doctors had her on
heavy doses of Morphine to help control her pain. She was in such a fragile condition that
the doctors surely knew that she could never come through another major surgery.

The end came on 11 June 1947. She was Seventy-one and nine months of age. For
excerpts of her funeral service see Doc.12, pages 15 &16.

Gertie was laid to rest next to her Eternal Mate in the Provo cemetery.


I have thoroughly enjoyed putting this life story together for Myra Gertrude Perry
KILLPACK , her beloved husband and family. I never knew any of the Killpack family
(though 1 did meet Leland and Lola briefly in 1958), but now it is as though I had grown
up with them. They have truly come to life for me, and I better understand my mother's
deep love for them.

They were a pioneer family of the late 1800's who bridged the gap to the twentieth century,
and all that entailed.

They were truly a family of "One" Eddie and Gertie nurtured their children, and when they
grew old, they were nurtured by their children.

Eddie and Gertie never built up wealth to leave behind, but they built a fortune in kindness
and life service to each other and to others whom they encountered along the way.

Eddie and Gertie raised their children in righteousness , and did it by example rather than
by force. Gladys wrote the following in her life story about her Father: "Daddy loved the
Church and he taught us to love it, too. He taught us the Church history story, he taught us
Gospel Principles, and he took us to Church. He was always involved in carrying out the
Church programs." Gladys could have said the very same things for her Mother.

I have written this document for the following reasons:

FIRST: To satisfy strong feelings to do so that 1 received while Peggy and I were serving
our mission in Salt Lake 1998-2000.

SECOND: To help other branches of our family to come to know and love this branch of
our family as I do.

THIRD: To assure Eddie, Gertie and their family that we of this generation have not
forgotten them or their example they set for us

FOURTH: To help the later cousins to withstand the temptations of their day and to hold
too the IRON ROD to the very end as our earlier Killpack family was able to do.
Please let me conclude by THANKING Peggy and all of my wonderful cousins who have
helped me in so many ways (especially with encouragement when I wanted to quit). Had it
not been for Garth and Lovell who loaned and gave me materials, took me around to show
me things pertinent to this work, introducing me to previously unknown cousins and
convincing me that THE COMPUTER WAS THE ONLY WAY TO GO, l couldn't have
accomplished this Job.

As Joycelyn (Gladys and Elmer's daughter) said to me this past July, "We are truly a loving
family." I can't improve upon that!"!!!!

R. Merrill Perry
20 December 2002


 1. Family records of Ross Leo Perry             29. lone Perry’s Personal
 Family.                                         Remembrance as recorded by Merrill
 2. Myra Gertrude Perry Autobiography            Perry
 3. lbid                                         31. Killpack Family Records
 4. lbid                                         31. Ibid
 5. lbid                                         32. Gladys Killpack Biography
 6. lbid                                         33. Ibid
 7. Ibid                                         34. Killpack Family Records
 8. Ibid                                         35. Ibid
 9. Edward Albert Killpack                       36. Ross L Perry Family Records
 Autobiography                                   37. Killpack Family Records
 10. Ibid                                        38. Ibid
 11. Ibid                                        39. Gladys Killpack Biography
 12. Gladys Killpack recorded history            40. Ibid
 13. Ibid                                        41. Killpack Family Records
 14. July 1894 "Springville Herald"              42. Ibid
 15. Edward Albert Killpack Biography by         43. Lovell Killpack Journal
 Gladys Killpack                                 44. Ibid
 16. Killpack Family Records                     45. E. Merrill Perry Family Records
 17. Ibid                                        46. Gladys Killpack Biography
 18. Ibid                                        47. lbid
 19. Killpack Family Records                     48. Ibid
 20. Historical Records of the Union             49. lbid
 Stake, La Grande, Oregon                        50. Ibid
 21. Killpack Family Records                     51. Lovell Killpack Journal
 22. Ibid                                        52. lbid
 23. Biography of Franklin Charles Perry         53. lbid
 24. Land Deed Records of Union                  54. Killpack Family Records
 County, Oregon                                  55. Edward Albert Killpack
 25. Historical Records of the Union             Autobiography
 Stake, La Grande, Oregon                        56. Family Record of Ross Leo Perry
 26. Killpack Family Records                     Family
 27. lbid                                        57. Myra Gertrude Killpack Journal
 28. Lovell Killpack Journal                     58. Ibid
                                                 59. lbid
                                                 60. lbid
6l. Ibid
62. lbid
63. Loren Killpack Autobiography
64. Myra Gertrude Killpack Journal
65. lbid
66. Edward Albert Killpack
67. Ibid
68. Myra Gertrude Killpack Journal
69. Ibid
70. lbid
71. lbid
72. Ibid
73. lbid
74. Ibid
75. Ibid
76. Ibid
77. lbid
78. lbid
79. Ibid
80. lbid
81. Ibid
82. Ibid
83. lbid
84. lbid
85. lbid
86. Ibid
87. Ibid
88. Ibid
89. Ibid
90. Ibid
91. lbid
92. lbid
93. Ibid
94. Ibid
95. Ibid


To top