COUNTY OF MONTEREY
A DRUG‐FREE WORKPLACE
PATIENT ACCOUNT MANAGER
$6,321 ‐ $8,629 Monthly
Exam # 10/80M05/04CR
PRIORITY SCREENING DATE: Monday, May 10, 2010 at 5:00pm
Applications received after this date will be reviewed on an as‐needed basis until the position is filled.
Allow 3 weeks for processing of all application materials. (Postmarks and faxes not accepted.)
Application materials may be obtained by contacting:
NMC Human Resources Department
1441 Constitution Blvd., Bldg. 300
Salinas, CA 93906
PHONE: (831) 755‐4282 * FAX: (831) 759‐6500
Monterey County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Natividad Medical Center (NMC) is a 172‐bed, full service teaching hospital affiliated with the University of California at San Francisco School of Medicine.
In addition to providing acute care, NMC also services an outpatient population, provides mental health treatment, and offers acute rehabilitative care. A
county owned facility with a 120+ year heritage of delivering family‐oriented care, NMC is fully accredited by The Joint Commission. Natividad Medical
Center strives to foster a culture of service excellence and seeks candidates who have demonstrated the ability to provide and to continually improve the
quality and responsiveness of that service. Guest relations at Natividad Medical Center recognize, respect and understand the rich diversity, which is an
integral part of the health care environment. It is the responsibility of each employee to contribute to the development and implementation of practices
and patient care that guarantees the delivery of quality, timely, and courteous service.
PATIENT ACCOUNT MANAGER
The Patient Account Manager coordinates and manages the daily activities of the Patient Accounts, Credit and
Collections and MCMSP Divisions, including Pro Fee Billing and performs other duties as assigned.
The essential functions of the position are as follows:
• Coordinates and manages the daily activities of the Patient Accounts, Credit and Collections MCMSP Divisions.
• Ensures timely and accurate billing of accounts receivable, prompt follow up of accounts and maintains an
acceptable level of days in receivable in the daily supervision of 18 Patient Account Representatives.
• Analyzes departmental systems and procedures; develops and implements new policies and procedures to meet
regulatory requirements and for departmental improvements.
• Ensure timely and accurate gathering of statistical data and key patient information.
• Manages staffing levels and work loads for effective and efficient workflow in all areas of the department.
• Assists patients with concerns and complaints and promotes good customer service with patients and staff.
• Hires, trains, evaluates and initiates disciplinary process and grievance response to staff.
• Manages and maintains department operating budget.
• Coordinates interdepartmental activities and training to assure all county, state, federal and special program
charging, credentialing and billing requirements are met.
A combination of experience, education, and/or training which substantially demonstrates the following knowledge,
skills and abilities:
Thorough Knowledge of:
• Current Procedure Terminology (CPT), ICD9, Coding Revenue Codes and Hospital Financial Classification.
• UB92 and 1500 Medical claim forms.
• Medicare, Medi‐Cal, CHAMPUS, Worker’s Compensation, Indigent, Blue Cross and Commercial Insurance billing
• APC, DRG and Compliance regulations relating to inpatient and outpatient hospital setting.
• Principles and practices of effective management and supervision.
• Current provider enrollment process.
• Professional fee billing and collection methods.
• Request for additional information (RAIs) auditing procedures.
• Familiarity with various computer software (i.e. Excel, Word Perfect, Word) applications to produce Ad Hoc
• Analyze and review contracts for departmental approval.
Skill and Ability to:
• Analyze accounts receivable, credit balances and audit accounts.
• Research information and data, analyze and evaluate information and data, perform statistical analysis.
• Document activities and develop recommendations.
• Establish, implement and maintain policies, procedures, systems and standards.
• Conduct interviews, appraise performance, counsel, motivate and train employees, prepare documentation and
implement corrective and disciplinary measures.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
• Prepare and monitor department budget.
REQUIRED CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Natividad Medical Center requires that all incumbents pass a pre‐employment physical/medical assessment and background
During the course of work, incumbents at Natividad Medical Center may come in contact with infectious organisms and other
potentially hazardous substances.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS AND SCREENING PROCESS
TO APPLY: A completed Monterey County Application, responses to the Supplemental Questions and resume must be
submitted by Monday, May 10, 2010 at 5pm. Application materials will be considered on an as‐needed basis until the position
is filled. Allow three (3) weeks for processing of application materials.
Application materials may be obtained from and submitted to:
Natividad Medical Center – Human Resources Department
1441 Constitution Boulevard, Building 300, First Floor
Phone (831) 755‐4282 Office Hours: M‐F 8 a.m.‐5 p.m.
On‐line applications may be submitted at
www.natividad.com or www.co.monterey.ca.us/personnel;
however, resume must be emailed separately to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selection process is tentative and applicants will be notified if changes are made. Applicants who fail to complete a
Monterey County Application will not be considered for this position. Resumes will be accepted in addition to, but not in lieu of
the required application materials.
Completed application materials will be competitively evaluated.
The best‐qualified applicants will be invited to participate further in the process.
Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the selection
process. To further assess an applicant’s possession of required qualifications, this process may include an oral examination,
pre‐exam exercise, or written examination. The Eligible List established by this recruitment may be used to fill current and
future vacancies as they arise. For more information or to receive application materials, also visit our website at
www.natividad.com or the Monterey County website at www.co.monterey.ca.us/personnel.
Monterey County offers an excellent benefits package including (X Bargaining Unit):
• Health insurance: Flexible Benefit Allowance.
• Life Insurance: The County Provides coverage of $50,000 Term Life.
• Vacation: Accrues at the rate of 7.07 hours per pay period to a maximum of 23 days per year. The rate increases after 2, 10, 18, 21 and 25 years service.
• Professional Leave: 10 days per year non‐accruable.
• Holidays: 10 days per year; 1 floating holiday non‐accruable.
• Retirement Plan: 100% of PERS retirement contributions paid by the County.
• Monthly Expense Allowance: $45.84.
• Professional Organizational Membership: Up to $400 per year.
• Social Security/ Medicare: The County participates in these programs.
• Deferred Compensation: The County has a voluntary deferred compensation program.
• Annual Physical Exam: Annual exam at NMC by County Physician at no cost to employee.
More information regarding benefits may be obtained from our web site at: www.co.monterey.ca.us/personnel.
The information listed above is a general summary of benefits for this position. This information is not legally binding, nor does it serve as a contract. The benefits
listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies and Practices Resolution or Unit X Benefit Sheet prevail over this listing.
• If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please contact the Personnel Analyst for Natividad Medical Center at (831)
• Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
• Final candidates will be required to successfully pass a pre‐employment drug test as a condition of employment with the County.
• If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed above.
County of Monterey
Responses to these Supplemental Questions must be submitted with your application materials.
Application materials received after the priority screening date will be considered on an as needed
basis until the position is filled. Applications received without a Supplemental Questions Response
will not be considered. A resume, letter, application, etc. will not be accepted as a substitute for a
response to these questions.
Please include your name and the Exam Number on each page of your response, address each
question separately, and number your responses.
1. Describe your education, training, and experience that demonstrate your ability to conduct
California Medi‐Cal and Medicare billing in a hospital or similar setting. (Include in your response
the payor mix that you have experience working with.)
2. Describe your education, training, and experience that demonstrate your ability to handle the
day‐to‐day operations of a patient account department in a hospital or similar setting. (Include in
your response the size of the department, the number of direct reports and your level of