Undergraduate Advising at the UW by pengtt



Undergraduate Gateway Center
  University of Washington

                                         University of Washington
                                       Undergraduate Gateway Center

                           Adviser’s Guide

Undergraduate Advising at the UW
   Academic advising at the UW --------------------------------------------------------- 1
   Responsibilities of Undergraduate Advising --------------------------------------- 2
   The role of the academic adviser ------------------------------------------------------ 3
   Training opportunities ------------------------------------------------------------------- 4
   Adviser evaluation------------------------------------------------------------------------ 4
   Statement of Ethics and Standards ---------------------------------------------------- 5

  Admission criteria ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 8
  Special admissions ----------------------------------------------------------------------11
  Services provided by the Office of Admissions -----------------------------------12
  Admission information available from the Student Data Base -----------------13
  Admission information available on the Internet ----------------------------------13

   MyUW -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------16
   Web registration -------------------------------------------------------------------------16
   STAR --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------17
   Time schedules ---------------------------------------------------------------------------17
   Choosing courses ------------------------------------------------------------------------19
   Placement tests ---------------------------------------------------------------------------19
   Registration, add, and drop periods --------------------------------------------------20
   Hardship withdrawals -------------------------------------------------------------------22
   Registration restrictions ----------------------------------------------------------------22
   Cross-campus enrollment --------------------------------------------------------------23
   Late registration and re-registration --------------------------------------------------23
   Withdrawing for the quarter -----------------------------------------------------------24
   Registration information available from the Student Data Base ---------------24
   Registration information available on the Internet --------------------------------25

Grades and Credits
   Grades that appear on the transcript -------------------------------------------------27
   Repeating courses -----------------------------------------------------------------------29
   Notations that appear next to grades -------------------------------------------------30
   Grade reports -----------------------------------------------------------------------------30
   Transcripts -------------------------------------------------------------------------------31
   Transfer evaluations---------------------------------------------------------------------34
   Types of credit ---------------------------------------------------------------------------37

    Grade information available from the Student Data Base -----------------------38
    Grade information available on the Internet ----------------------------------------38

Choosing and Declaring Major and Minors
   Career counseling------------------------------------------------------------------------39
   Satisfactory progress (the 105-credit rule) ------------------------------------------40
   Declaring a major or minor ------------------------------------------------------------42
   Double majors and double degrees---------------------------------------------------42
   Information about majors and minors available on the Internet ----------------44

   University graduation requirements--------------------------------------------------45
   College of Arts and Sciences graduation requirements --------------------------46
   DARS --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------47
   Applying to graduate --------------------------------------------------------------------51
   Petitioning graduation requirements -------------------------------------------------56
   Graduation information available from the Student Data Base -----------------59
   Graduation information available on the Internet ---------------------------------59

Support Services
   Carlson Leadership and Public Service Center ------------------------------------62
   Center for Career Services -------------------------------------------------------------62
   Childcare Assistance Program for Students ----------------------------------------62
   Data Services -----------------------------------------------------------------------------62
   Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) ------------------------------------------62
   Disabled Student Services -------------------------------------------------------------62
   Educational Assessment, Office of---------------------------------------------------62
   Educational Outreach (UW Extension) ---------------------------------------------62
   Experimental College -------------------------------------------------------------------63
   Financial Aid, Student ------------------------------------------------------------------63
   Foundation for International Understanding through Students (FIUTS) -----63
   Graduation and Academic Records --------------------------------------------------63
   Hall Health Primary Care Center -----------------------------------------------------63
   Honors Program -------------------------------------------------------------------------63
   Housing and Food Services ------------------------------------------------------------63
   Instructional Center ---------------------------------------------------------------------64
   Intercollegiate Athletics, Office of Student Services -----------------------------64
   International Programs and Exchanges----------------------------------------------64
   International Services -------------------------------------------------------------------64
   Minority Affairs -------------------------------------------------------------------------64
   New Student Programs -----------------------------------------------------------------64
   Ombudsman’s Office -------------------------------------------------------------------64
   Registrar, Office of the ----------------------------------------------------------------64
   Registration -------------------------------------------------------------------------------65
   Special Services --------------------------------------------------------------------------65
   Student Affairs, Office of the Vice President for----------------------------------65
   Student Counseling Center ------------------------------------------------------------65
   Student Fiscal Services -----------------------------------------------------------------65

    Student I.D. Card Center ---------------------------------------------------------------65

    Time Schedule/Room Assignments --------------------------------------------------65
    Transcripts --------------------------------------------------------------------------------66
    Undergraduate Advising ---------------------------------------------------------------66
    Undergraduate Research Program ----------------------------------------------------66
    Undergraduate Scholarship Office ---------------------------------------------------66
    UW Extension (see Educational Outreach)
    Women’s Center -------------------------------------------------------------------------66

Appendix I: The Adviser’s Library ------------------------------------------------67

Appendix II: Forms Used in Advising --------------------------------------------69

Index -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------71

     Adviser’s Guide
         Janet Kime, Editor

   Undergraduate Gateway Center
 171 Mary Gates Hall Box 352805
University of Washington 98195-2805

          September 2001

 Undergraduate Advising at the UW

                Most full-time undergraduate academic advisers at the UW are
                professional staff. College and departmental advisers interpret
                requirements and prepare degree applications; many have
                additional responsibilities such as preparing time schedule
                information, supervising internships, supervising writing
                centers, and working closely with the department chair.
                The Undergraduate Advising Office at the Undergraduate
                Gateway Center provides academic counseling for premajors,
                preprofessional students, General Studies majors, and students
                in academic difficulty. The office also coordinates with local
                community colleges, publishes guides and maintains websites
                for students and advisers, and trains campus advisers.


                Academic advising at the UW ...............................................................1
                Services of the Undergraduate Advising Office ...................................2
                The role of the academic adviser ...........................................................3
                Training opportunities ............................................................................4
                Adviser evaluation .................................................................................4
                Statement of Ethics and Standards .........................................................5

Academic advising at the UW                                               independently, or professional advisers supervising
                                                                          graduate students or peer advisers.
The Spring 2001 list of undergraduate advisers includes
over 200 names. Of these, half are professional staff
counselors, most of them employed full time. The role                     Advising for the majority of incoming students is
and extent of their involvement in advising varies greatly.               done by the Undergraduate Advising Office. Entering
College advising offices, the Office of Minority Affairs,                 students in the Educational Opportunity Program are
most large departments, and some smaller departments                      seen by the full-time professional counselors in the
are staffed by full-time professional academic counselors.                Office of Minority Affairs. Student athletes usually
Other departments may have graduate students                              receive initial counseling from the full-time
supervised by faculty or operating independently,                         professional staff in Intercollegiate Athletics.
classified staff supervised by faculty or operating                       Although many departments have admission
                                                                          requirements which preclude entering students from

declaring a major immediately, other majors have                All UA advisers counsel students on academic warning
open admission. Consequently, some entering students            and probation and those who have been dropped for low
are advised by their major departments.                         scholarship. Four advisers from Undergraduate
                                                                Advising and two advisers from Minority Affairs
Department advisers                                             comprise the Reinstatement Committee, which reviews
In the College of Arts and Sciences, all department             the petitions of students requesting reinstatement.
advisers are responsible for interpreting University,
College, and departmental requirements. All prepare             General Studies
degree applications. Some department advising offices           Through the General Studies program, a student
have extensive additional responsibilities, including           may design a unique interdisciplinary major.
some or all of the following: prepare quarterly course          Two Undergraduate Advising counselors advise
information brochures, advise graduate as well as               General Studies students and, along with
undergraduate students, prepare time schedule                   representatives of the College of Arts and
information, supervise internships, serve on department
                                                                Sciences and the Office of Undergraduate
committees, provide liaison between students and
faculty, help students with career planning, serve as           Education, constitute the admissions committee
informal department ombudsman for student problems,             for prospective General Studies majors.
sponsor a department student organization.                      Department and college liaisons
Faculty vs. staff advising                                      Undergraduate Advising provides liaison and
                                                                related services for all UW colleges and
Some departments in Engineering and a few
                                                                departments. Advisers work closely with the
departments in Arts and Sciences provide ongoing
faculty involvement with student counseling, but the            advisers for all UW programs to clarify
bulk of undergraduate academic counseling at the UW             procedures and requirements, to smooth the
is done by full-time professional counselors, classified        transition for students seeking admission to
staff, or graduate students. This varies from the pattern       majors, and to keep advisers apprised of rule
at many universities, where faculty advising is more            and requirement changes that affect their
prevalent. Reasons for our pattern include substantial          students.
time commitment required to understand complex
requirements, and a preference to keep faculty available
                                                                Services for prospective transfer
to talk with students about non-advising matters.               students
                                                                Each Thursday afternoon Undergraduate Advising is a
                                                                transfer center for prospective transfer students.
Services of the                                                 Advisers are available on a drop-in basis and a variety
Undergraduate Advising Office                                   of information sessions are offered. A session on
                                                                transfer admissions, conducted by a counselor from
Premajors and preprofessional students                          the Office of Admissions, is offered every Thursday
The primary task of the Undergraduate Advising Office           afternoon. In addition to Transfer Thursday, advisers
is to provide academic counseling for students who are          frequently visit Seattle area community colleges to
undecided about a major or are considering several              meet with students individually and in group settings.
majors. The 12 professional counselors see the full             Undergraduate Advising works actively with
range of premajor students, but at the same time all
                                                                community college advisers and faculty.
have areas of specialization and maintain close contact
with several assigned departments. Students are seen by         Undergraduate Advising and the Office of
appointment or during scheduled drop-in times. Student          Minority Affairs coordinate an annual October
―associates‖ are also available to provide assistance.          conference for UW and community college
                                                                advisers. The newsletter Next Step is co-edited
The Director and Associate Director of Under-                   by Undergraduate Advising and the Admissions
graduate Advising counsel and assist students at                Office, and distributed to community college
all levels who have unusual administrative                      advisers. Additionally, each adviser maintains
problems.                                                       continuing contact with one or more
Low-scholarship students                                        Washington state community colleges.

UW/community college advising positions have             Advisers may also use this address to ask
been created at Shoreline and Bellevue                   advising questions or request materials.
Community Colleges. These positions are                  Adviser training and support
located at the community college, but involve
                                                         Undergraduate Advising offers training for all
close collaboration with Undergraduate
                                                         new and continuing UW advisers. Each
Advising and departmental advisers. The
                                                         September, a three-day New Adviser
primary focus of these positions is the support
                                                         Orientation program is offered. Veteran advisers
of transfer students interested in studying the
                                                         are encouraged to attend any part of the annual
sciences and engineering at the UW.
                                                         orientation for brush-up and review. Shorter
Publications                                             orientation programs are usually offered in
Undergraduate Advising is responsible for                Winter and Spring quarters, and individual
major University publications related to                 training is available as needed.
undergraduate advising, including Adviser’s              On an ongoing basis, Undergraduate Advising
Guide and the Adviser Information File, a                provides policy interpretation, guidance, and
collection of detailed policy memos. The office          trouble-shooting for campus advisers. Each
also prepares a 3-ring binder of information             campus adviser has a liaison adviser in
given to each student who attends New Student            Undergraduate Advising and is encouraged to
Orientation. Students who don’t attend                   call for assistance at any time.
Orientation receive instead the Bachelor’s
Degree Planbook. The BDP includes
information on general education requirements            The role of the academic adviser
and lists of advising and student-service offices.
Detailed information on requirements and                 There is a persistent rumor that students can
procedures is available in the Student Guide             graduate from the UW without ever seeing an
section of the UW home page. Many of the                 adviser. This is not actually possible, as all
websites available there are maintained by               students must have an adviser’s signature on
Undergraduate Advising.                                  their degree applications, normally filed at the
                                                         beginning of the final year. A student could
Email                                                    conceivably avoid advisers up to that time, but it
Undergraduate Advising, together with the                is unlikely.
Office of the Registrar, maintains the adviser           Students usually see an adviser when they enter
email service advisers@u.washington.edu, one             a major and they are encouraged to see advisers
email address that can be used to contact all            both for registration and whenever a problem
advisers on campus who belong to the service.            arises. In essence, though, we leave it to
Currently, virtually all staff and faculty               students to decide when they need help.
undergraduate academic advisers subscribe to             Developmental advising
the service, as well as a number of staff in units
                                                         In the past 20 years, academic advising has evolved
of the University concerned with undergraduate
                                                         from an emphasis on simple quarterly class scheduling
affairs, such as Registration, Admissions, and           to a concern for the education and development of the
the Student Counseling Center. For information           whole person. Developmental advising involves not
on signing up see the URL at the beginning of            simply giving information or helping students through
this chapter.                                            a bureaucratic maze, but also helping them make
Undergraduate Advising also maintains an                 critical decisions on life goals and educational
address for answering advising questions from            options. In recent years, distinctions among academic
students: advice@u.washington.edu. Messages              counseling, career planning, placement advising, and
are received by one of the advisers, who either          personal counseling have blurred. Academic
answers the question or forwards it on to the            counselors now focus on the whole student.
appropriate adviser or another office on campus.         Also, the University emphasizes the importance
                                                         of collaboration among student-service offices,

as a means of reaching more students in a                     • overcome problems that hinder their
variety of ways. For example, the Center for                    academic performance
Career Services and Undergraduate Advising                    • integrate their educational and career plans
offer joint ―How to Choose a Major‖ sessions,
                                                              • understand the central importance of
and the Student Counseling Center offers study-
                                                                universal skills (thinking, communicating)
skills workshops at Undergraduate Advising.
                                                                in an undergraduate education
Common wisdom is that students today are very
career-oriented. This may be, but it doesn’t tell             • grow toward greater maturity in their
the whole story. A career focus can trap students               approach toward education and life
into making and clinging to unrealistic choices.
Students often come to college focusing on what
they want to be in the future, rather than on                Training opportunities
what they are now and how college can help
them develop.                                                Association of Professional Advisers
Academic counselors frequently confront the problem          and Counselors (APAC)
of the student who wants to prepare for a career in,
                                                             The UW Association of Professional Advisers
say, business, but who has no idea whether his/her
values and interests would make this an appropriate          and Counselors was formed in the 1970s to
choice. Students do not necessarily see college as a         provide opportunities for campus advisers to
process of becoming more involved and interested in          meet and discuss issues of current interest. A
learning—either for the pure excitement of learning or       newsletter and monthly meetings are devoted to
to improve their analytical or creative skills. They         the professional development of advisers. An
expect to be told what they have to learn to get into        Adviser of the Year is selected and honored by
medical school or to become an electrical engineer.          members each June.
Academic counselors help students understand                 National Association of Academic
not that such pragmatism is bad, but that their              Advisers (NACADA) and NACADA
UW experience can have a much broader
meaning than simply finishing a course of study              Northwest
in accounting, that becoming truly interested in             The National Association of Academic Advisers
something has all sorts of beneficial side effects:          (NACADA) offers regional and national
it makes learning easier and more stimulating,               meetings for college academic advisers and a
increases the individual’s awareness of what is              journal of scholarly research and writing.
going on around him or her, gives the student                New Adviser Orientation
the exhilarating feeling that comes with
                                                             Each September Undergraduate Advising runs a
thinking, and virtually assures more academic
                                                             three-day training session for new advisers.
involvement and higher grades.
                                                             Topics covered include degree requirements,
Adviser responsibilities                                     degree applications, evaluating transfer credit,
Academic advisers help undergraduate students:               the Bothell and Tacoma campuses, Educational
 • develop plans for a major                                 Outreach (UW Extension), teacher certification,
 • match personal strengths and interests with               technology and advising, and career counseling.
   opportunities in the University curriculum                Other sessions are designed to help advisers
                                                             develop their counseling skills. Also included
 • make decisions on quarterly schedules                     are intensive presentations and relevant hands-
 • understand and complete requirements                      on experience. Continuing advisers are welcome
 • avoid or overcome administrative problems                 to attend for review. Shorter New Adviser
 • develop a sense of purpose in their                       Orientations may be offered in Winter and
   undergraduate education                                   Spring quarters.
                                                             Adviser Education Program

The Adviser Education Program is a series of                available at the URL at the beginning of the
workshops on topics of professional interest to             chapter.
campus advisers. Advisers who complete the
September adviser orientation, six two-hour
AEP workshops, ten related activities (such as
attending and/or making presentations at                    Statement of Ethics and Standards
meetings of campus, regional, or national
professional organizations), and a professional             Anyone functioning as a counselor should be
development impact statement, earn a certificate            concerned about questions of ethics. What
of recognition. For more information, see                   information is confidential? Where is the line
http://depts.washington.edu/aepinfo/index.html              between suggesting a course of action and
                                                            making a decision that should be left up to the
All Advisers’ Meeting                                       student? When you are forced to choose, should
Each Autumn and Spring quarters                             you be an advocate for your department or for
Undergraduate Advising hosts a half-day                     your students? Academic advisers, who are
meeting for campus advisers.                                frequently isolated and expected to act
Student Data Base training                                  independently, must often make decisions about
Regular training sessions in use of the Student             ethical behavior. To provide general guidelines,
Data Base are offered by the staff of                       the statement below was prepared by the
Undergraduate Advising.                                     Association of Professional Advisers and
                                                            Counselors of the University of Washington.
Adviser evaluation
The Association of Professional Advisers and
Counselors has developed an extensive evaluation
form for the annual review of each campus
academic adviser by his or her supervisor. Aside
from its usefulness as an evaluation instrument,
the form provides detailed lists of the skills and
areas of expertise an adviser is expected to
develop and maintain. The evaluation form is

           Statement of Ethics and Standards

           1. Advisers and counselors should provide equal access to their services without regard
              to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital
              status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, in
              accordance with University policy.
           2. Advisers and counselors should strive to maintain the trust and confidence invested
              in them by students and others.
              a. They shall respect the confidential nature of any information as far as legally
              b. They shall not engage in any form of harassment of advisees.
              c. They shall avoid conflict of interest caused by multiple relationships.
           3. Advisers and counselors should promote the goals and values of higher education as
              they interact with students.
              a. They shall act as student advocate whenever that serves a student’s best
                   educational interests.

   b. They shall not assist students in circumventing the regulations or policies of the
       University of Washington or state/federal law.
4. Advisers and counselors should strive to provide the highest level of professional
   service to students, staff, faculty, and the community.
   a. They shall make all reasonable efforts to maintain good relations with
       individuals, organizations, and institutions inside and outside the University.
   b. They shall maintain current knowledge of rules, regulations, procedures, and
       information affecting their students.
   c. They shall maintain a commitment to ongoing training and development.
5. Advisers and counselors should recognize the extent of their professional
   qualifications and authority. For example, they should try to maintain an inventory of
   campus and community agents for common referrals and make appropriate referrals
   when necessary.


Undergraduate students are admitted to the UW every quarter,
including summer. Freshman applicants must have completed
certain core classes in high school, and are further evaluated on
the basis of a combination of high school grades, college-
admission test scores, and a personal statement.
Transfer applicants must also have completed the core high
school requirement, or have made up any deficiencies with
college coursework. Many students complete an associate
degree at a Washington community college and transfer to the
UW under the Direct Transfer Agreement.
The Office of Admissions, in addition to processing
undergraduate applications, counsels prospective students,
evaluates the credits of transfer students, conducts campus
tours, organizes an annual workshop for potential community
college transfers, and provides outreach to Washington high
schools and community colleges.


Admission criteria ..................................................................................8
  Freshmen                                       Nonmatriculated students
  Transfer students                              Returning former students
  Running Start                                  Bothell and Tacoma campuses
  Immigrants and refugees                        Evening Degree Program
  International students                         Admission to departments
  Postbaccalaureate students                     Admissions publications
Special admissions ...............................................................................11
Services provided by the Office of Admissions ..................................12
Admission information available from the Student Data Base ............13
Admission information available on the Internet.................................13

Admission criteria                                       overall assessment of academic strength and
Freshmen                                                 More detailed information about transfer
Freshman applicants must present a high school           admission is available in the Transfer Admission
program that includes the following Core                 and Planning booklet (TAP). Advisers may
Subject Requirements:                                    obtain a copy of the current edition from the
  • 4 years of college-preparatory English (and          Office of Admissions.
    related language arts), including at least 3
    years of composition and/or literature               Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA)
                                                         If a Washington resident is transferring directly
  • 2 years of one foreign language                      from a Washington community college with an
  • 3 years of college-preparatory mathematics           approved transfer (non-vocational) associate
    (usually algebra, geometry, and intermediate         degree, and the student’s cumulative transfer
    algebra/trigonometry)                                GPA for graded, non-vocational/ technical
  • 3 years of social sciences                           courses at all colleges attended is 2.75 or higher,
                                                         s/he then falls under the Direct Transfer
  • 2 years of science, including 1 year with
    laboratory of biology, chemistry, or physics
                                                         Like all transfer applicants, those entering under
  • ½ year of fine, visual, or performing arts           the DTA must present the high school Core
  • ½ year of electives from the above areas             Subject Requirements listed above under
Freshmen must also present SAT or ACT                    ―Freshmen,‖ or complete equivalent college
scores. Admission is based on high school GPA,           coursework prior to enrolling at the UW.
test scores, a personal statement, and an overall        Applicants who are projecting an associate
assessment of academic strength and potential.           degree prior to enrollment at the UW, but who
Admission of applicants who are not                      have not yet completed the degree at the time of
Washington residents is often much more                  application, must submit transcripts with no
competitive than for residents of Washington             more than one quarter of coursework in
state.                                                   progress. These must be on file prior to the
More detailed information about freshman                 application deadline. Because the autumn
admission is available in the Freshman                   quarter application deadline is in April, this
Admission Packet (FrAP). Advisers may obtain             means that applicants for autumn quarter who
a copy of the current edition from the Office of         won’t be completing the associate degree until
Admissions.                                              the end of summer quarter are not eligible to
                                                         apply under the DTA.
Transfer students                                        Applicants who are eligible to apply under the
Any student who has matriculated at a college            DTA are in a high-priority group for admission.
after graduation from high school (i.e., enrolled        They are not required to submit submit SAT or
at a college in a degree-seeking program) must           ACT scores, or write a personal statement.
apply as a transfer student, regardless of the           Because students often apply under the DTA
number of college credits completed.                     when in fact they aren’t eligible, however, all
Transfer applicants must present the high school         DTA applicants are strongly encouraged to
program given above or equivalent college                submit test scores and a personal statement. If it
courses. In addition to high school transcripts,         turns out that an applicant is not eligible for the
transfer applicants must submit transcripts from         DTA, if these additional materials have been
each college attended. The criteria by which             submitted the student can instead be considered
transfer students are admitted are basically the         for admission as a regular transfer applicant.
same as the criteria for freshman admission:             Some students pursuing admission to professional
GPA, test scores, a personal statement, and an           programs with extensive prerequisites may not
                                                         have room in the first two years of college for the

general education requirements of the standard            and, therefore, should apply as transfer students
transfer associate degree. Students from                  and request the Transfer Application and
Washington community colleges seeking                     Planning booklet.
admission to professional programs with selective         The Core Subject Requirements (listed under
admission criteria will be given priority for             ―Freshmen‖ above) may be met with high
admission in the same manner as DTA applicants            school or college courses. The UW grants full
if they have 90 credits, meet high school core            transfer credit for Running Start courses if they
course requirements, have earned a 2.75 GPA,              are college level and recorded on an official
and are already admitted to the professional              college transcript. All the usual transfer credit
program at the UW.                                        restrictions apply.
Some community colleges offer an ―option B‖               Immigrants and refugees
transfer associate degree that qualifies for the
                                                          Immigrant and refugee applicants, both
DTA. Students following this option work with
                                                          freshmen and transfer, are not required to
their advisers to draw up a two-year plan for
                                                          submit English Language exempting test scores
coursework at the community college preparing
                                                          for admission consideration. However, students
them for application to a specific UW
                                                          who are not U.S. citizens and who come from
professional program.
                                                          countries other than Canada, the United
Guidelines for a transfer associate of science
                                                          Kingdom, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand
degree, which allows students at Washington
                                                          will be required to complete (or test out of) a
community colleges to concentrate on math and
                                                          series of five Academic English Program (AEP)
science courses in the first two years and defer
                                                          courses, beginning with their first quarter of
some general education requirements to the
                                                          enrollment. Test scores that exempt students
junior and senior years, have been approved at
                                                          from the entire AEP requirement are listed
the state level. At this writing, state community
                                                          below under ―International students.‖ In
colleges are drawing up degree programs that
                                                          addition, a Diagnostic English Proficiency Test
meet the state guidelines. These degrees also
                                                          is available through the UW’s English Language
will qualify for the DTA.
                                                          program to determine how many (if any) of the
Running Start                                             five AEP courses will be required.
Running Start is a Washington state program               Note that the English language proficiency
that allows high school students in grades 11             requirement should not be confused with the
and 12 to enroll in college courses at                    high school English core subject requirement;
participating Washington colleges and/or                  applicants must meet both requirements. See
universities. Although the UW accepts Running             Undergraduate Admissions Pamphlet #3 for
Start credit, the UW does not participate in the          more information about English language
Running Start Program. In other words, the UW             proficiency.
is not one of the colleges in the state at which          Immigrant and refugee applicants should use the
Running Start high school students may take               same freshman and/or transfer application
college courses.                                          packets as U.S. citizens.
Regardless of the number of college credits               International students
earned, students enrolled in Running Start
                                                          International students are non-U.S. citizens who
through other institutions must apply as
                                                          have no permanent immigration status in the
freshmen; they must meet freshmen deadlines
                                                          U.S.; they usually are required to have a student
and admission criteria, and they should use the
                                                          visa. Students with permanent resident,
Freshman Application Packet. However,
                                                          immigrant, or refugee status in the U.S. are not
students who matriculate (enroll at a college in a
                                                          considered ―international‖ students for
degree-seeking program) at another institution
                                                          admission purposes.
after leaving high school (except for the summer
                                                          The UW accepts relatively few international
immediately following high school) are no
                                                          applicants. International students—freshmen,
longer enrolled in high school or Running Start
transfer, and postbaccalaureate—must apply by                potential for success in the intended major, and
January 15 for either Autumn or                              the applicant’s educational options vs. need to
Summer/Autumn admission. International                       attend the UW. Applicants seeking entry to
applicants are not admitted in Winter and Spring             competitive majors generally need some kind of
quarters, and they are not eligible for admission            endorsement from the prospective major
under the DTA.                                               department in order to be competitive for UW
International applicants must submit proof of                admission.
English language proficiency in order to be                  Nonmatriculated students
considered for admission. Applicants with
                                                             Nonmatriculated students are, traditionally,
scores below those listed below will not be
                                                             students interested only in attending classes and
considered regardless of other admission
                                                             not in receiving a UW degree. Such students are
                                                             not required to submit transcripts or test scores
The minimum scores to be considered for
                                                             for admission. Currently, the UW is admitting
admission are as follows (only one is required):
    TOEFL (P)      540 (paper-based score)                   only the following categories of
    TOEFL (C)      207 (computer-based score)                nonmatriculated students:
    MTELP           85 (UW-administered exam only)             • Students attending Summer quarter only.
    APIEL            4
                                                               • State employees, including UW faculty and
Unless otherwise exempted, international
                                                                 staff utilizing the tuition waiver available to
students must complete up to five Academic
                                                                 state employees (half-time or more).
English Program courses, starting in their first
quarter of enrollment at the UW and continuing               Persons interested in attending the UW as
with one course each quarter until the series is             nonmatriculated students in quarters other than
completed. A Diagnostic English Proficiency                  Summer should be referred to UW Extension. No
Test is available, and students who take it may              formal admission procedures or academic
place out of some of the five courses. Students              credentials are required for registration in
who have a high enough TOEFL, MTELP, etc.                    extension courses. In addition to a number of
score are exempt from the five quarters of                   popular non-credit certificate programs, Extension
English Language. The minimum scores to be                   offers a variety of distance learning
exempt from EL course requirements are as                    (correspondence) and evening credit courses, and
follows (only one is required):                              can help place students in regular UW day courses
    TOEFL (P)      580   (paper-based score)                 on a space-available basis.
    TOEFL (C)      237   (computer-based score)
                                                             Returning former students
    MTELP           90   (UW-administered exam only)
    ACT-English     20                                       Returning former students are offered admission
    SAT-R Verbal   490   (recentered score)                  if they submit the Returning Student Re-
    SAT Verbal     410   (pre 4/95, old score)               enrollment Application (obtained not from
    APIEL            4
                                                             Admissions but from the Registrar’s Office or
                                                             online) by the deadline for the quarter they wish
Postbaccalaureate students
                                                             to return. Students who have been dropped for
Postbaccalaureate (sometimes referred to as ―fifth-          low scholarship must first be reinstated by the
year‖) students are those who have already completed         appropriate college before being readmitted to
a qualifying bachelor’s degree and who are interested
                                                             the University.
in further study at the undergraduate level.
                                                             Bothell and Tacoma campuses
Postbaccalaureate admission is limited and
competitive. In addition to academic                         Bothell and Tacoma campus admission is
performance and curricular history, the                      handled by the Tacoma and Bothell campuses.
admission decision is based on a variety of                  The minimum admission requirement is 90
factors, including the feasibility of the                    transferable credits with at least a 2.00 GPA.
applicant’s academic plan as described in the                Credits must include:
required statement of purpose, the applicant’s

  • 45-60 credits of general education courses,                Although progress toward completing these
    including 15-20 credits each in Visual,                    requirements is not part of the admission
    Literary, and Performing Arts; Individuals                 evaluation, the 75 credits should include the
    and Societies; and The Natural World.                      majority of the student’s Arts and Sciences
  • 5 credits English composition, plus                        breadth (Areas of Knowledge), basic skills, and
    additional writing (varies)                                additional writing (W-course) requirements.
                                                               Since the Evening Degree Program is targeted
  • 4 credits of quantitative/symbolic reasoning,
                                                               toward degree completion, it offers primarily
    above the level of intermediate algebra
                                                               upper-division courses that meet the
  • 2 years of high school foreign language, or                requirements of the student’s major, as well as a
    10 college credits of one language                         variety of courses that can count toward any
Selection criteria include the appropriateness of the          remaining VLPA and I&S requirements.
applicant’s academic preparation for the degree                A student admitted to the regular day program
program offered at the Bothell or Tacoma campus;               may transfer to the Evening Degree Program at
likelihood of success; commitment to completing the            any time. Because admission to the Evening
degree program; and relationship between career plans          Degree Program is less competitive, however, a
and the degree program.                                        student initially admitted to the Evening Degree
Unlike UW-Seattle, UW-Bothell and -Tacoma admit                Program who wants to transfer to the day
international students in all quarters. For details on their   program must reapply to the UW and meet the
special admission requirements for international students,     criteria for admission as a day-program student.
see the UW-Bothell and UW-Tacoma websites.                     After completing one quarter in the day
Bothell and Tacoma campus students seeking to
                                                               program, students who transfer to the Evening
transfer to the Seattle campus, and vice-versa, must go        Degree Program may later re-enter the day
through the entire admission process just as though            program without reapplying for admission,
they were transferring from a non-UW institution.              provided they are still pursuing the same degree
                                                               (for example, a first bachelor’s degree).
A student who has been accepted at two UW
campuses cannot earn degrees from both                         Admission to departments
campuses simultaneously. Such a student must                   Special selection procedures are used by some
complete a degree at one campus, then apply as                 UW departments. Many departments have
a postbaccalaureate student at the second                      admission requirements beyond the minimum
campus.                                                        University requirements. Therefore, acceptance
For information about cross-enrollment                         by the University does not guarantee admission to
(enrolling in courses at a UW campus other than                a desired program. A list of the departments with
the one at which the student is matriculated), see             special selection procedures is included in the
page 23. For information about majoring at one                 Transfer Admission and Planning booklet
campus and minoring at another, see page 44.                   available from the Office of Admissions.
Evening Degree Program                                         Department admission requirements are also
                                                               available on the Internet, from the Majors and
Evening Degree Program admission is handled                    Minors section of the UW Student Guide.
by the Office of Admissions. Admission                         A student who is admissible to the University
requirements are the same as for regular transfer              but not to the department for which s/he has
and postbaccalaureate students, except that the                applied, or who has not yet met the minimum
student must present at least 75 transferable                  requirements for that department, will be
credits. The criteria for admission (i.e., the                 offered admission as a premajor in Arts and
competitiveness of admission) are set                          Sciences. A postbaccalaureate student not
independently from the day program, and in                     accepted by the department for which s/he
recent quarters have been slightly less                        applied will rarely be offered admission to the
competitive.                                                   University.

Admissions publications                                  Departments may request special admission
                                                         consideration for applicants who demonstrate
More detailed information about the admission
                                                         special talent in fields such as music or dance.
process is included in the Freshman Admission
Packet, the Transfer Admission and Planning              Varsity sports
booklet, the Postbaccalaureate Admission                 A few varsity sports participants are specially
Packet, and the Information Packet for                   admitted at the request of the Athletic
International Students, published by the Office          Department.
of Admissions. The UW Transfer Guide for
Community Colleges in Washington, which lists            Services provided
UW equivalents for transferable courses from             by the Office of Admissions
Washington state community colleges, has been
replaced by the online version at                        Transcript evaluation
http://www.washington.edu/students/uga/                  Transcript evaluation is provided by Admissions
transfer/course_equiv.html.                              Specialists, who make admissions decisions and
                                                         award transfer credit. The specialists determine
Special admissions                                       units of high school core courses completed and
                                                         the transferability of courses taken at other
Students who do not meet                                 institutions. The Office of Admissions does not
the admission criteria                                   determine the applicability of transfer credit to
An otherwise admissible student who has one or           degree requirements. Questions concerning high
more admission core subjects (page 8), or other          school background or specific credit evaluations
admission requirement, uncompleted at the time           should be referred to Edie Pelerine, Program
of application may be granted a ―conditional‖            Support Supervisor, ediep@u.washington.edu.
admission. If the condition is not met before the        In general, transcripts are evaluated only for
student’s first quarter at the UW, the offer of          undergraduate students who have applied to the
admission is revoked.                                    UW, been offered admission, and have
Students who do not meet the admission criteria          submitted the $100 Enrollment Confirmation
may petition for admission. Some petitions are           Deposit (which is applied toward the first
submitted by students who have not completed             quarter’s tuition). Every effort is made to
all the required high school courses. Any                complete each student’s evaluation prior to
shortfall in high school requirements is called a        his/her registration appointment date.
―deficiency.‖ If a student is admitted with a            Admissions staff will answer quick questions
deficiency, it must be removed by coursework             from students or advisers about the
taken during the student’s first year at the UW.         transferability of certain courses, but a complete
Normally, however, petitions concerning subject          evaluation cannot be made for prospective
deficiencies are denied, and the student makes           transfer students. Academic advisers often do
up the deficiency by taking the required courses         rough, unofficial evaluations of transfer records
at another college prior to enrolling at the UW.         for prospective UW students who need to know
Applicants may also be routinely denied                  what to take at their home institutions before
because they were not competitive for                    transferring.
admission in the comprehensive admission                 The Office of Admissions maintains the online
review, which includes additional factors such           Transfer Guide, which lists transfer equivalents
as grades, test scores, and a variety of                 for Washington community colleges. It is located
supplemental and personal factors. These                 in the Transferring Credit section of the Student
denials may also be petitioned by writing to the         Guide, and is continually updated.
Committee on Admissions and Academic                     The Office of Admissions does not draw up
Standards, Office of Admissions.                         evaluations for postbaccalaureate (fifth-year)
                                                         students. Instead, advisers work from copies of the
Department special admits
original transcripts and count the students’              student plan for UW admission and for meeting
previous coursework toward UW requirements at             UW major and graduation requirements.
their own discretion.                                     Students with a clear choice of major may be
Pre-admission counseling                                  referred on to departmental advisers and/or
                                                          Undergraduate Advising. Questions about the
The Office of Admissions will provide pre-
                                                          Transfer by Major program should be directed
admission counseling, explain admission
                                                          to Admissions, attn. Jim Rawlins.
requirements and procedures, arrange campus
tours, provide information on majors and
programs, and explain policies on transfer
credits. Admissions usually refers questions              Admission information available
about how courses may be applied toward
general education requirements to Undergraduate
                                                          from the Student Data Base
Advising.                                                 NOTE: Applicants seeking information about
Campus tours                                              their application for admission should be
90-minute walking tours of upper campus, are              directed to the Office of Admissions. Do not
offered every weekday starting at 2:30. No                attempt to answer questions about an applicant’s
advance registration is necessary except for              admission status, receipt of documents, or
groups of 10 or more. A one-hour information              academic information. Until a student actually
session for prospective freshmen is held every            enrolls, most of the application information is
Friday at 1:30.                                           subject to interpretation, and any of the
                                                          information may fluctuate depending upon a
High school and community college                         variety of internal processing factors (such as
liaison                                                   corrections, timing, etc.).
Members of the Admissions Office periodically             SRF500 (F1)—Applicant Locator
conduct visits to high schools and community              Enter a student’s last name to begin a search for
colleges around the state to familiarize                  information. The computer will provide an
counselors and students with University                   alphabetical list of students with their student
offerings and procedures. Academic counselors             numbers, beginning with the name you
from different colleges of the University join the        requested. If the student you are seeking is on
Admissions Office on visits to some community             the screen, tab once to ―line number for detail‖
colleges to talk with prospective transfer                and enter the number on the name the line
students.                                                 appears on, and send. This will take you to the
Plan-a-Transfer Day                                       SRF505 screen for the student if s/he is an
Each Winter quarter the Office of Admissions              applicant, or the SRF305 screen if the student is
sponsors Plan-a-Transfer Day, an afternoon                or was a UW student. From there you can SRT
campus event for prospective transfer students.           to other SDB screens for the same student.
Students may participate in group information             SRF505—Applicant Inquiry Screen
sessions, one-on-one informal advising, and               This screen lists the status of the student’s
campus tours.                                             application, the major to which the student was
Transfer by Major                                         assigned, the major the student requested,
The Transfer by Major program is an advising              whether the $100 Enrollment Confirmation
initiative in which community colleges act to             Deposit has been paid, the student’s Admission
identify their students’ transfer plans early in          Index, the student’s registration date (or
their college studies. The community colleges             ―Orientation‖ may be indicated), and
then send the students’ names and addresses to            international student information.
the UW Office of Admissions, which contacts               SRF506—Requirements/Deficiencies
each student with information to help the                 Inquiry

To the extent that the information has been               The Transferring Credit section of the UW
entered into the computer, this screen lists the          Student Guide provides general information
years of each high school subject completed by            about transfer policies, including what does and
the applicant, and notes any admission                    doesn’t transfer, and information about
deficiencies. It also indicates the foreign               advanced placement and Running Start credit.
language used for admission. For students                 Most useful is Course Equivalencies for
admitted in previous quarters, this information           Washington Community Colleges
appears on the SRF306 screen.                             (http://www.washington.edu/
SRF507—Test Scores Inquiry                                students/uga/transfer/course_equiv.html), which
                                                          lists the transferable courses at each Washington
This screen lists any test scores submitted for
                                                          state community college, the UW equivalent
admission, including TOEFL scores. UW
                                                          course, and how the course counts toward UW
placement test scores are also available on this
                                                          general education requirements.
                                                          Washington State University maintains a similar
SRF508—Prior School Inquiry                               guide to transferring courses at
This screen lists previous colleges attended, as          http://www.wsu.edu/advise/transfer-courses.
provided by the student in his/her application            Although it shows how UW courses transfer to
for admission, and any degrees granted. The               WSU, which is not necessarily how WSU
dates on which transcripts were received are              courses transfer to the UW, it is a handy guide.
also posted.
SRF536—Unmatched Test Scores
Test scores received electronically but not               WACAS
matching an applicant or student record may be            http://www.washington.edu/students/uga/tr/wacas
accessible on this screen. If a student thinks            /
scores were sent but you can’t find them, you             index.html
can search for any unmatched test scores under            WACAS, the Washington Course Applicability
that student’s name. If you find scores that don’t        System, is an Internet site that allows prospective
match an applicant/student record for some                transfer students from Washington community
reason (e.g., the SSN didn’t match our records),          colleges to investigate the requirements of UW
contact the Office of Admissions so appropriate           majors and determine how the courses they have
steps can be taken to match the test score record         completed will count toward those requirements.
with the student’s record.                                Students enter the courses they have completed
                                                          and can then request reports that evaluate the
Admission information available                           courses against the requirements of specified UW
                                                          majors. The student can save the courses entered
on the Internet
                                                          and add to them later. Transfer students from 4-
Admission                                                 year colleges and out-of-state community
                                                          colleges can use the site to investigate the
The Information for Prospective Students                  requirements of UW programs.
website at
http://www.washington.edu/students/uga/ has
complete and detailed information for freshmen,
transfer students, international students, and
postbaccalaureate students. Students can apply
on-line, download a PDF application form, or
order an application form. Students can also ask
admissions questions on-line and order a FrAP
or TAP.
Transferring Credit


Students register and drop and add courses on the Internet or use a
computerized telephone registration system called STAR. Most
students plan their schedules using the online version of the time
schedule. A variety of other materials are also available to help with
course and instructor selection.
Once registered, students may drop and add courses without charge
through the Sunday following the first week of the quarter. Starting
the second week of the quarter there are a variety of restrictions on
dropping and adding courses.

   MyUW .................................................................................................16
   Web registration ...................................................................................16
   STAR ...................................................................................................17
   Time schedules.....................................................................................17
   Choosing courses .................................................................................19
   Placement tests .....................................................................................19
   Registration, add, and drop periods .....................................................20
   Hardship withdrawals ..........................................................................22
   Registration restrictions .......................................................................22
   Cross-campus enrollment.....................................................................23
   Late registration and re-registration .....................................................23
   Withdrawing for the quarter.................................................................24
   Registration information available from the Student Data Base .........24
   Registration information available on the Internet ..............................25

The information students need to register for courses is available on-line from MyUW, a portal to the
UW homepage and other websites. From MyUW, students can access web registration and the time
schedule, and can also obtain such information as their grades, current class schedule, and tuition
balance. Students can reach MyUW from the Student Guide. A UWNetID is required.

Web registration
Using web registration, a student can submit a request for one course or several. The student enters the
4-digit schedule line numbers of the courses, obtained from the quarterly time schedule, and submits the
request. If there are no problems with the request, registration is immediate and the computer returns
with the student’s class schedule. If there is any problem with the request, none of the request is
processed. Instead, the computer returns with notations of the problems that were encountered—one of
the sections may be closed, or the student may not have the proper prerequisite, etc. The student can
then submit another request. A demonstration version of web registration is available at

Schedule Finder
The online Schedule
Finder helps students put together a schedule of
classes. The student enters the department name
and number of the courses desired. If the student
is already registered for one or more courses and
wants to keep those sections, the student can
―lock‖ those sections by entering the department,

course number, and section letters. The student                 use the online version as it is continually
can also ask to eliminate from consideration any                updated. It is also available almost a month
sections that require entry codes, and can select               earlier than the print version, generally right
earliest start and latest end times.                            after the start of the preceding quarter.
When the request is submitted, Schedule Finder                  Each course title in the online time schedule is
will come back with a list of possible                          linked to the online Course Catalog description,
combinations. It lists only the first 10. If the                which includes any prerequisites. Each schedule
student likes one of the combinations, s/he can                 line number is linked to real-time information
register for it by clicking the Register button                 about remaining space available, classroom, and
located above each combination.                                 instructor. If the section is closed, a list of some
There are a demonstration version and a live                    of the open alternate sections is provided. If
version of Schedule Finder at                                   there is a description of the course in the online
http://www.washington.edu/students/                             collection of Instructor Class Descriptions, there
ugrad/advising/advisers/advhome.html.                           is a link from the Course Catalog description
                                                                and also from the instructor’s name in the time
STAR                                                            schedule.
Students who don’t have easy access to the Internet may
prefer to register over the telephone using STAR,
Student Telephone Assisted Registration. On STAR,
students may register for courses or drop and add
courses, check their account balance or financial aid
status, and check on their grades for prior quarters over
any touch-tone telephone. Students can use the STAR
worksheet to prepare before calling STAR. There is a
STAR work sheet in the front section of the printed
version of the time schedule, and also in the registration
instructions in the online Student Guide.
After the initial registration, students may call STAR
any number of times to drop and add courses, check the
status of a section, or obtain a verbal listing of their
confirmed schedule including classroom locations.

                                                                To obtain an overview of the space available in
In-person registration transactions                             one department’s course offerings, click on
Students may not use web registration or STAR                   Enrollment Summary at the head of a
to register to audit a course, or register for                  department’s class listing. This generates a real-
courses with a time conflict. These transactions                time list of the department’s courses, including
must be completed in person at the Registration                 current enrollment, class limit, and remaining
Office, 225 Schmitz. Disabled students may                      space available.
register in person at the Registration Office, if
they prefer.
Time schedules
The time schedule is a listing of courses, titles,
times, classrooms, and often instructors for the
courses to be offered the following quarter by
all colleges of the University.                                 A guide to online time schedule entries is shown
The time schedule is available both online and                  below.
in print. Students and advisers are encouraged to

Choosing courses                                            times each week. Except during the summer, tests
                                                            are not given on Mondays.
Instructor Class Descriptions                               Mathematics
A file of Instructor Class Descriptions is on the           Students planning to register in MATH 111,
Internet at                                                 120, or 124 must first pass the appropriate
http://www.washington.edu/students/icd/. These              placement test (or have transfer credit for the
are prepared by individual instructors and                  prerequisite course). AP scores of 2 or higher
follow a standard format. If there is a                     may substitute for a placement test. (A summary
description on file for a course, there is a link to        of AP scores and placement is at
it from the online Course Catalog entry for the             http://www.washington.edu/students/uga/ap.html.)
course, and a link from the instructor’s name in            The Intermediate Mathematics and Advanced
the online time schedule.                                   Mathematics Tests are given in the spring in high
A number of departments also provide course                 schools throughout the state of Washington, and at
descriptions on their home pages.                           the UW’s Testing Center throughout the year. They
Suggested general education courses                         are used for placement by most of the public 4-year
Each quarter, Undergraduate Advising publishes              colleges in the state. A test may be retaken once, at
a list of introductory Areas of Knowledge                   least two weeks after the first testing. Students are
courses grouped by the number of credits and by             not permitted to use a calculator during the test.
Area (e.g., three-credit Natural World courses).            A student who places at a given level may choose
Copies of the lists are available as a handout for          to start with a lower-level math course. A student
students and the list is online at                          may also repeat a math course for which s/he has
http://www.washington.edu/students/                         college credit, without taking a placement test
ugrad/advising/reg532.html. As classes close,               Intermediate Mathematics Test
they are removed from the online list and the               The Intermediate Mathematics Test is taken by
handouts.                                                   students who completed three years of high
                                                            school math. The test places students into
General Education Requirement Course                        MATH 111 or MATH 120. A student who
Search                                                      scores below the level required must complete
Students can also search on-line for open Areas             MATH 098, a non-credit math review course,
of Knowledge courses, as well as English                    before proceeding to MATH 111 or MATH 120.
composition, W, and Q/SR courses at                         (MATH 120 requires a slightly higher score
http://www.washington.edu/                                  than MATH 111.) Students cannot cross
students/timeschd/genedinq.html.                            between the 111/112 and 120/124 sequences.
                                                                             MATH 111  MATH 112
Placement tests                                                      
                                                            MATH 098
In many instances, students cannot register for                      
100-level math and foreign-language courses                                  MATH 120  MATH 124
until they have taken a placement test.
Math, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese,           Advanced Mathematics Test
and Korean placement tests, a proficiency test in           The Advanced Mathematics Test is taken by
quantitative and symbolic reasoning, and a CHEM             students who completed four years of high
145 placement test are available at the Testing             school math and wish to take MATH 120 or
Office, 440 Schmitz Hall. A list of the scheduled           MATH 124. (Although the test can also place
test dates, times, and fees, and information about          students in MATH 111, students interested only
the topics covered by the tests, are available at           in MATH 111 should take the Intermediate
http://www.washington.edu/                                  Mathematics Test.)
oea/testcntr.htm. Most tests are available several

A student who scores below the level required for          More information about foreign language
MATH 120 must complete MATH 098, a non-credit              placement tests is available at
math review course, before proceeding to MATH 120.         http://www.washington.edu/oea/
A student who wishes to take MATH 112,                     testcntr.htm.
Application of Calculus to Business and                    CHEM 145
Economics, must first take MATH 111, even if               Registration in CHEM 145-Honors General
s/he places into MATH 120 or 124.                          Chemistry requires a passing score on the
Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning Test                       CHEM 145 placement test. The test covers basic
This test may be taken by students who performed           chemical concepts and math skills. It is offered
very well in four years of high school math, but do        on the same dates as the math and foreign
not want to take any math in college. The test is not      language tests. Currently, students who receive
a math test, but rather a test of symbolic reasoning.      a score of 4 or 5 on the Chemistry Advanced
A passing score exempts the student from the               Placement exam are eligible to register in
University’s quantitative/symbolic reasoning               CHEM 145 without the placement test.
requirement. Few students take this test, since
those with a chance of passing will usually satisfy
the Q/SR requirement by taking college math
Foreign languages                                          Registration, add, and drop
The Testing Office offers placement tests in               periods
Spanish, French, Italian, German, Japanese, and
Korean. These tests place students into first,             Period 1
second, or third quarter, or into second-year level        Period 1 is the registration period reserved for
language courses.                                          continuing students.* Period 1 for the upcoming
Students who place above the third quarter in              quarter starts five or six weeks into the current
French, Italian, German, or Korean may either              quarter and lasts about four weeks.
enroll in 201 or contact the appropriate language          Registration priority during Period 1 is
department for placement at the 200- or 300-               determined by the total number of UW and
level. Students who place above the third                  transferred credits the student has completed,
quarter in Spanish or Japanese should take the             plus the number of credits the student is
next level test for placement in second-year               registered in just before Period 1 begins. Seniors
courses.                                                   and postbaccalaureate students have the highest
A student who places above the third quarter of            registration priority, then juniors, sophomores,
Spanish, French, Italian, or German but would              and freshmen last. The first day of Period 1 is
prefer not to continue in the language may take            reserved for disabled-student and GSP (see
an additional two part (written and oral)
proficiency test. A student who passes such a
proficiency test is exempt from the foreign                  An undergraduate student who has completed a quarter
language requirement. Japanese and Korean do               (i.e., received grades for the quarter, including I and X but
not require an additional test; a student who              not W) may remain out of school the next quarter and will
                                                           still be considered a continuing student and eligible to
places into the second year of Japanese is                 register for the subsequent quarter. (For these purposes,
exempt from the first-year foreign language                Summer quarter can be counted as a quarter completed
requirement.                                               but is not counted as a quarter skipped.) A student who
Students who wish placement or proficiency                 withdraws from a quarter after it has begun is eligible to
exemption in languages other than Spanish,                 register for the following quarter, but if s/he withdraws
                                                           during the first week of two quarters in a row (not
French, Italian, German, Japanese, and Korean              including Summer), thus avoiding tuition, s/he is not
should contact the appropriate department.                 eligible to register for the third quarter without submitting
                                                           a Returning Student Reenrollment Application by the
                                                           appropriate deadline.

below) registration. Graduate and professional                    Continuing students who didn’t register in
students may register anytime during Period 1.                    Period 1 may register in Period 2. Returning
At least two days are scheduled for registration for              former UW students (who have submitted a
each class. Within each class the students are divided            Returning Student Reenrollment Application)
into two groups by the last digit of the student                  may register for classes beginning the first day
number. The two groups alternate registration order;              of Period 2.
one quarter numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 register on the             Although adviser approval of undergraduate
first day for their class, and the next quarter numbers
                                                                  students’ class schedules is not required, each
5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 go first. On the first day of each class
priority the remaining space in each course section is            new student should consult with an adviser
divided and only half is available on the first day.              before registering. New undergraduates should
                                                                  come to Undergraduate Advising, 171 Mary
The registration dates for each class are listed in               Gates Hall. Students may see advisers there, or
the online Academic Calendar. A student may                       take their files and meet with departmental
register during his/her priority days, or anytime                 advisers. Students may register on or after their
after. Once registered, a student may drop and                    assigned registration dates.
add courses at any time during Periods 1, 2, and                  Once registered, students may make changes to
3.                                                                their schedules anytime through Period 3.
GSP                                                               Period 3
Graduating Senior Registration Priority (GSP) is                  Period 3 is the first five class days of the
granted to qualifying students for their final two                quarter, plus the weekend between the first and
quarters at the UW. GSP students are eligible to                  second weeks of the quarter. Registered students
register on the first day of Registration Period 1.               may drop and add courses during Period 3. No
To be eligible for Graduating Senior                              notation is made on the transcript for dropped
Registration Priority, a student must be a senior                 courses. There is no fee for dropping and adding
or post-baccalaureate who has been admitted to                    courses if the student registered before Period 3
the major in which s/he plans to graduate, and                    began.
be within two quarters of graduating. The                         Students who have not yet registered may do so in
student must also have prepared and filed a                       Period 3, but a late fee of $25 is charged. To avoid
degree application. To qualify for GSP                            the late fee, a student who is not able to register
registration, the degree application must be filed                until Period 3 should use web registration or STAR
with the Graduation and Academic Records                          in Period 2 and complete the insurance and
Office at least two working days before the GSP                   optional charges section.
registration date.
If a student must postpone graduation, s/he may                   Late Add Period
save priority quarters by not registering before                  The Late Add Period is the second and third
his or her regular senior priority day. A student                 weeks of the quarter. All course adds during this
who has used Graduating Senior Priority for two                   period require an entry code, and a $20 per day
quarters but still hasn’t graduated reverts to                    fee is assessed (see Fees, below).
regular senior priority.                                          Unrestricted Drop Period
Period 2                                                          During the second week of the quarter,
Period 2 is the registration period for new and                   registered students may drop courses. A $20 per
returning students, and continuing students who                   day fee is assessed (see Fees, below). No
did not register in Period 1. It begins right after               notation is made on the student’s transcript.
Period 1 and ends just before the quarter starts.                 Late Course Drop Period (Annual Drop)
Advising/ registration appointments (or New                       This period starts the third week of the quarter
Student Orientation dates) are mailed to new                      and runs through the seventh week. Students are
students, who may not register for courses until                  allowed one course drop during this period per
their appointment or Orientation date.

year (September through August). There is a                 Annual drops, if not used, are not cumulative.
$20 per day fee (see Fees, below).                          After the seventh week of the quarter, students
The course dropped is recorded on the student’s             may still withdraw from their entire schedule for
transcript. A ―W‖ is posted in the grade column             the quarter; see page 24.
along with the number of the week of the drop;
for example, W4.

                  week 1              week 2               week 3           weeks 4-7           weeks 8-10
  ADDS         unrestricted         entry code + $20 fee required           no adds allowed after Week 3

          unrestricted           $20 fee                  one annual drop, $20 fee           no drops unless
 DROPS (not on transcript) (not on transcript)           (W + # of week recorded on          you drop ALL
                                                                 transcript)                  your courses

Change of registration fees
There is no fee for dropping and adding courses during Periods 1, 2, and 3.
After Period 3 (the first week of the quarter) the fee for change-of-registration is $20 per day. A student
who makes two or more separate web registration or STAR transactions (two or more phone calls) on
the same day will be charged $20. A student who makes one transaction on one day and another
transaction on the next day will be charged $40.
Tuition bills are mailed at the beginning of the quarter. Registration transaction fees incurred after the
initial tuition bill are billed separately. Students may request their account balance from MyUW or

Hardship withdrawals
A student who must drop one or more courses after the Unrestricted Drop Period because an emergency
situation has arisen may petition for a hardship withdrawal, recorded as an HW. Petitions for hardship
withdrawals are available at the Office of the Registrar, 209 Schmitz, or may be downloaded from the
online Student Guide at http://www.washington. edu/students/reg/wdoffleave.html#Q3. The completed
petition is returned to the Registrar and is reviewed by a Registrar’s committee. Petitions should be filed
promptly after the occurrence of the hardship.
Hardship withdrawals are granted for documented emergencies, such as an automobile accident or a
severe illness, or other unusual or extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control.
If a student uses an Annual Drop and is subsequently granted a hardship withdrawal for the course, the
Annual Drop is returned to the student.

Registration restrictions
Many UW courses have prerequisites, which are included in the descriptions of courses in the online
Course Catalog. Web registration and STAR check for prerequisites when matriculated undergraduate
students register.
To register for a course, the student must have completed any prerequisites, or be currently enrolled in the
prerequisites. Any exceptions must be approved by the department. If an exception is approved, the department can

either register the student in the course using the department registration screen (SRF104), or issue an entry code.
To override the prerequisite using SRF104, enter a P in the override field.
Web registration and STAR don’t check nonmatriculated, postbaccalaureate, and graduate students for
prerequisites. This is primarily because transfer credits are not evaluated for these students, so access would
be denied to all courses with prerequisites unless they had been completed at the UW.
The most up-to-date course prerequisite information is available from the online Course Catalog,
Cancellation of course registration
A student registering for the subsequent quarter is allowed to register in a course if the prerequisites are
in progress at the UW at the time of registration. For example, a student with CHEM 142 in progress
Autumn quarter is allowed to register for CHEM 152 for Winter quarter. For most courses, there is no
follow-up check to verify that the student successfully completed the prerequisites.
If a department wants to exclude students who don’t complete the prerequisites, the department can request that the
course be coded ―Cancellation.‖ When a student registers for such a course and has the prerequisites in progress, the
computer flags the student. These students are checked at the end of the quarter to verify that the prerequisites were
completed. If they weren’t, the student is disenrolled from the course and notified by email (or by letter, if there is no
email account).
Cancellation is infrequently used. Courses with cancellation in place include introductory math and chemistry;
BIOL 180, 200, and 220; and some business courses. In most of these cases, a minimum grade is required in the
prerequisite course.
Cancellation, if in effect, does not apply to nonmatriculated, postbaccalaureate, and graduate students. It
also does not affect students who were registered using an override (X or P) on SRF104, or who
registered using an entry code.
In a few courses, students who do not attend the first day of class (or the first lab, etc.) may be dropped
from the course. This should be indicated in the time schedule with a notation such as, ―Students not
attending the first lab may be dropped.‖
Whatever the course policy, students should always check their schedules on MyUW or STAR and never
assume they have been dropped from a course.
Other registration restrictions and priorities
At the time of registration the computer also verifies any required class standing and/or major (for example,
―Art major,‖ ―junior or above‖) if the restriction appears in the time schedule. Any restrictions are indented
and shown below the course section information. Departments may place these eligibility restrictions on
courses for any or all of the registration periods. For example, the English department may restrict certain
ENGL courses to English majors during Period 1, and then remove the restriction for Periods 2 and 3. In
the Student Data Base, course restrictions appear on the SRF236 and SRF204 screens.
Entry codes
Five-digit entry codes are required for registration in some courses, and occasionally for dropping
courses. Each course requiring an entry code to add is marked in the time schedule with an arrow (>)
before the schedule line number. The location where students can obtain entry codes should be indicated
within the course entry in the time schedule or somewhere within the department’s course listings. The
entry codes are random numbers provided to departments by the Office of the Registrar.
After obtaining an entry code, the student submits it using web registration or STAR along with the
course’s schedule line number. An entry code may be used only once. If a student drops an entry code
course and then later decides to add the course back, s/he must obtain another entry code. Some courses
require a code to drop the course. Web registration and STAR will prompt the student if an entry code or
drop code is required.

Departments and instructors may use entry codes to ―overload‖ students into filled classes. Web registration and
STAR will accept students with entry codes up to 115% of the room capacity. An entry code is required to add any
course during the Late Add Period (the second and third weeks of the quarter). Entry codes are not used after the
Late Add Period; a signed Registration Transactions Form is required.

Credit limits
Credit limits for undergraduates are enforced during all registration periods. A student may register for a
maximum of 19 credits during Periods 1 and 2. During Period 3 and the Late Add Period, students may
add credits up to a total of 30. No student may register for more than 30 credits in one quarter. There is
an extra fee for every credit over 18 in which the student enrolls, except in Summer quarter.
Occasionally a student will arrange to do a course-out-of-quarter, a course which is not listed in the time
schedule for that particular quarter. The student first obtains the instructor’s and chairperson’s signatures
on a Registration Transactions Form (available at the Registration Office), and then obtains the dean’s
signature of his/her college. In Arts and Sciences, any adviser in Undergraduate Advising may sign for
the dean. The form is then submitted in person at 225 Schmitz, during Period 1, 2, 3, or the Late Add

Cross-campus enrollment
UW juniors, seniors, and postbaccalaureate students (and graduate and professional students) may enroll
in courses offered by any UW campus (Seattle, Bothell, or Tacoma) on a space-available basis, starting
on the first day of the quarter. The transactions can be completed using web registration or STAR. Only
students who have completed at least 25 UW credits are eligible to cross-enroll.
A maximum of 35 credits earned through cross-enrollment may count toward a bachelor’s degree.
(Graduate students are limited to 12 credits.)
Cross-enrolled students pay tuition and fees to their home campuses, based on their total UW credits for
the quarter.
For information about cross-campus majors and minors, see page 44.

Late registration and reregistration
Any registration that occurs after Period 2 is late registration, and involves a fee. Except for
reregistration after cancellation for nonpayment, registration is not permitted after the Late Add Period.
A student whose registration has been cancelled for non-payment of tuition may reregister after the
tuition and any late-payment fees have been paid. There is a $75 reregistration fee.
The student must reregister for his/her entire original program. (If the student still has his/her Annual
Drop available, it could be used after reregistration.) Reregistration may not occur after the last day of

Withdrawing for the quarter
A student who drops all of his/her courses for the quarter is said to be withdrawing from the University.
A student may withdraw from Autumn, Winter, or Spring quarter at any time up through the last day of
instruction (but not during finals week or during the last week of Summer quarter). Depending on how
late in the quarter the student withdraws, some or all of the tuition may be forfeited (see below).
A student can drop all his/her courses using STAR through the second week of the quarter, and using
web registration through the seventh week of the quarter. A withdrawal using either STAR or web
registration after the first week of the quarter will be charged a $20 fee. A student may also request the

transaction at the Registration Office, 225 Schmitz, or may mail a withdrawal for the quarter in writing
to the Registration Office. Withrawals transacted at the Registration Office or by mail are not charged
the $20 fee.
Tuition refunds
A student who does not submit a withdrawal by the end of the first week of the quarter will be charged
at least partial tuition, even if s/he does not attend any classes. Depending on when the student
withdraws, s/he may be eligible for a tuition refund. A continuing student is not liable for tuition if the
withdrawal is submitted by the fifth day of the quarter.
A withdrawal between the 6th and 30th calendar days of the quarter requires one-half the tuition
payment. After the 30th calendar day there is no tuition refund. For a new or returning former student
who has paid the non-refundable $100 enrollment confirmation deposit, the liability is $100 or the same
as that for continuing students, whichever is greater.
Re-enrollment for a subsequent quarter
An undergraduate student who has completed a quarter may remain out of school the next quarter and
will still be considered a continuing student and eligible to register for the subsequent quarter. (For these
purposes, Summer quarter can be counted as a quarter completed but is not counted as a quarter
skipped.) A student has ―completed‖ a quarter if s/he did not withdraw and was not cancelled, even if
the only grades posted were 0.0, N, X, I, NS, and/or NC.
A student who withdraws from a quarter after it has begun is eligible to register for the following
quarter, but if s/he withdraws during the first week of two quarters in a row (not including Summer),
thus avoiding tuition, s/he is not eligible to register for the third quarter.
A student who does not meet the enrollment criteria just described but wants to return to the UW must
submit a Returning Student Re-enrollment Application by the appropriate deadline and pay a $35
application fee and $100 enrollment deposit. Students may apply online or by regular mail.
Returning students who apply by the deadline are virtually guaranteed re-enrollment. Occasionally the
UW becomes seriously over-enrolled and takes no former returning students for a given quarter but this
is rare; in fact, the returning-student deadline is often extended and late applications are accepted.
Only students returning in the same category (e.g., undergraduate matriculated student working toward a
first bachelor’s degree) file returning student applications. Thus, a student who left the University and
then obtained a degree elsewhere would not file a former student application but could return only by
filing a new application for admission as a postbaccalaureate, graduate, or nonmatriculated student.

Registration information available from the Student Data Base
SRF203 (F4)—Time Schedule
This screen presents course information in time schedule format. Starting with the department or course
requested, the screen lists course sections in the order they appear in the time schedule, enabling the user
to scroll through as much as an entire department’s offerings for the quarter. Information provided
includes the number of students enrolled, the enrollment limit, whether the section is closed, the number
of students denied because the course was closed, the times and days each class meets, and whether an
entry code is required. Courses withdrawn after the printed time schedule was issued are included, and
marked as withdrawn.
SRF204 (F7)—Section Status
Here the user enters a schedule line number, and the screen reports the number of spaces available in the
section, if any. While advisers find SRF203 a more useful screen for schedule planning, SRF204
contains more information about each section, including instructor, enrollment restrictions (e.g.,
―PSYCH majors only Period 1‖), and whether the course counts toward Areas of Knowledge, English

composition, Q/SR, or W course requirements. This screen does not, however, list course prerequisites
or indicate if cancellation is in effect.
This is a good screen to consult if a student has been denied access to a course and is not sure why.
Restrictions posted after the time schedule has been printed are visible here.
One drawback of this screen is that none of the registration information is visible after the section closes.
SRF206 (F6)—Areas of Knowledge Inquiry
The first screen that appears is a menu for selecting the type of course list the user wishes to see: VLPA,
I&S, NW, English composition, Q/SR, or W course. (Foreign languages are not included because of the
variety of restrictions on whether language courses count toward requirements.) The selection is
presented with the classes listed in chronological order—8:30 a.m. classes, then 9:30 a.m., etc. The
number of spaces still available is indicated. Only open classes are listed.
SRF236—Course Restrictions
The screen shows any registration restrictions and entry code requirements for Periods 1, 2, and 3; the
number of students enrolled; the number of entry codes created and used to date; and the number of
unfulfilled requests for a particular course.
SRF130—Class List Display
The screen provides an alphabetical list of all students enrolled in a particular course, including the
students’ numbers, majors, and class level.
SRF104—Departmental Registration
If enabled, this screen allows departments to register students directly into the department’s courses. The
user can view a student’s pending schedule. Some departments use this screen in place of handing out
entry codes.

SRF100—Student Schedule Inquiry
This screen provides a student’s schedule for the quarter specified. It includes for each course the
schedule line number, course number, time, location, credits, and grade system (e.g., CR/NC).
SRF100A provides grades that have been received but not yet posted on the student’s permanent record. It
is a good place to check, too, for Summer a-term grades, which are not posted on the permanent record
until the end of b-term.
SRF120—Registration Transactions
This screen lists all the registration transactions for a student for the quarter specified. The date and
origination (user ID, web registration, or STAR) for each transaction are indicated.

Registration information available on the Internet
Online Time Schedule
This is the single most useful tool for students preparing to register. With it, they can check individual
sections of courses to see how much space is left. Students can also request an Enrollment Summary
listing the space available in all the courses offered by a department.
Each schedule line number is linked to information about remaining space available, classroom, and
instructor. If the section is closed, open alternate sections are listed.

Each course title is linked to the Course Catalog description, which includes any prerequisites. If there is
a detailed description of the course in the on-line Instructor Class Descriptions, there is a link from the
instructor’s name in the time schedule, and also from the Course Catalog description.
Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar section of the Student Guide includes dates of instruction (first day of the
quarter, last day of instruction, etc.), application deadlines, registration priority dates, deadlines for adding
and dropping courses, tuition deadlines, the final examination schedule, and grade deadlines. The calendar
is generally available at least one year into the future.
Course Catalog
The online Course Catalog includes the descriptions of all UW courses. The online Course Catalog is
continually updated as courses are added to and removed from the curriculum.
Registration section
The Selecting Courses, Registration, and After You Register sections of the Student Guide include
information about choosing courses, web registration, STAR registration, adding and dropping courses,
late registration, immunization requirements, and withdrawal and quarter on-leave policies.
Instructor Class Descriptions
The Instructor Class Descriptions catalog is in the Selecting Courses section of the Student Guide. The
courses with descriptions are listed in alphabetical order by department, with a separate entry prepared
by each instructor offering the course. The descriptions include the class structure (lectures, labs, etc.),
recommended preparation, typical class assignments, and grading. If a description exists, there is a link
to it from the course’s entry in the online Course Catalog and from the instructor’s name in the online
time schedule.
Many departments also publish course information on their home pages.
Course Evaluation Catalog
This is a collection of student evaluations of instructors. The list is organized by department and course
number; the classification of the instructor is indicated (Associate Professor, Teaching Assistant,
Lecturer, etc.), and the quarter of the evaluation. The user can also search by the name of the instructor.
Ratings include the course as a whole, textbook, instructor overall, instructor’s contribution, instructor’s
interest, amount learned, and relevance and usefulness of homework.

Suggested General Education Courses
This is an online list of introductory Areas of Knowledge courses. It is maintained in two versions, the
original list and a list from which closed classes have been deleted. During registration periods, the list
is updated every few days.
Placement tests
Information about placement tests, including the testing schedule, topic covered by the tests, and sample
questions, is available at this website maintained by the Office of Educational Assessment.

Web registration and Schedule Finder
Students access web registration and Schedule Finder via MyUW. A demonstration version of web
registration, with instructions, is available from the Adviser Homepage at the URL above. Also
available are a demonstration version and a live version of Schedule Finder.

                           Grades and Credits

               The UW awards numerical grades rather than letter grades. An
               elective pass/no-pass system called S/NS is available, although
               required courses may not be taken S/NS. A student may arrange
               to take an incomplete in a course, and, with the agreement of
               the instructor, has up to one year to make up the remaining
               work. A student may repeat a course only once; both grades are
               recorded and included in the grade-point average.
               Grade reports are no longer mailed to all students; most
               students get their grades online from MyUW, or by calling
               STAR. Grade reports can be mailed if requested.


               Grades that appear on the transcript.....................................................27
               Repeating courses ................................................................................29
               Notations that appear next to grades ....................................................30
               Grade reports ........................................................................................30
               Transfer evaluations .............................................................................34
               Types of credit .....................................................................................37
               Grade information available from the Student Data Base ...................38
               Grade information available on the Internet ........................................38

Grades that appear on the                               quarter. After the seventh week of the quarter,
transcript                                              no changes are allowed.*
                                                        A student may take any number of courses S/NS
Numerical grades                                        in a given quarter. A total of 25 S/NS credits
                                                        may apply toward the 180 credits required for a
Since Summer 1976, the UW has been awarding
numerical grades instead of letter grades, on a
                                                        Credit/No Credit-only courses
scale of 4.0 to 0.0. Thus, instead of a B, a
                                                        If an instructor or department wishes to offer a
student may receive a 3.3, or a 2.7. Consult the
                                                        course on a pass/no-pass basis only, the course
URL above for more information about the
                                                        is designated as ―credit/no credit only‖ (CR/NC
letter-grade equivalents of number grades.
                                                        only) in the time schedule. Since CR/NC is not a
Before Summer 1976, the letter grades of A, B,
                                                        student option, the student does not need to
C, D, and E were assigned.
                                                        request it when registering. CR/NC courses may
                                                        be counted toward requirements. Neither CR
Pass/no-pass grading systems                            nor NC affects the student’s grade-point
Pass/Fail                                               average.
Until Autumn 1972, the UW had a pass/fail               Incompletes
system in which D and above was a pass (P),
                                                        If a student completes almost all of a course but
and a failure was recorded and calculated into
                                                        is not able to finish the required work by the end
the grade-point average as an E.
                                                        of the quarter, s/he may arrange with the
                                                        instructor to take an incomplete in the course. In
Beginning Autumn 1972, Pass/Fail was
                                                        most cases, the student meets with the instructor
discontinued and Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory
                                                        to request the incomplete (the instructor may
was instituted.
                                                        refuse), and together the student and instructor
Under S/NS, the student must do 2.0 work or
                                                        determine how the remaining work will be made
above to receive an S, while 1.9 or lower
                                                        up. An ―I‖ grade will appear on the grade report.
receives an NS. Neither affects the grade-point         Normally, the remaining work for the course is
average. The instructor is not notified that a          completed before the end of the next quarter and the
student is taking a course S/NS; the instructor         instructor submits a grade. In some instances, the
submits a numerical grade as usual, which is            instructor will ask a student to sit in on the class the
converted by the Registrar into S or NS. This           following quarter in order to make up the incomplete.
conversion happens several days after grades are        In such cases, the student should never reregister for
initially posted, so students can see their             the course. Instead, the instructor submits an
numerical grade in MyUW for several days                incomplete removal form at the end of that quarter.
before it is removed and an S or NS posted.             Incomplete makeups are added into the GPA for
Advisers can view the numerical grade using the         the quarter in which the I was received, not the
Student Data Base and the SRF317 screen,                quarter in which the work is finished. The grade
where the numerical grade remains.                      is posted next to the ―I.‖
Courses taken to remove admission deficiencies          Deferral of an incomplete
may be taken S/NS. Students may not count               The instructor may write a note to Graduation and
S/NS courses toward any graduation                      Academic Records deferring removal of the incomplete
requirements, including basic skills, breadth,          for up to one year from the end of the quarter the
major, or minor requirements. S/NS courses              incomplete was assigned; or the instructor may arrange
may be counted only toward ―electives,‖ the             for the ―I‖ to be changed automatically to a specified
free-choice courses needed to achieve the 180
credits required for graduation.                        *
                                                         The one exception is that at the time s/he applies for
Students may register for the S/NS option over          graduation, a student may petition the Graduation and
STAR. Students are permitted to switch to and           Academic Records Office to have a grade changed from
from S/NS through the seventh week of the               S/NS to regular grade if it makes a difference in whether
                                                        or not s/he meets graduation requirements.

grade if no other grade is submitted before the stated          There are two types of hyphenated courses. In
time. If the incomplete is not made up and a grade              some hyphenated sequences, credit and grades
turned in by the end of the next quarter (Summer                are not granted until the hyphenated sequence is
excluded, even if the student attends) and no notice of         completed; in these sequences, a grade of ―N‖ is
deferral has been submitted, the incomplete will                recorded for the first quarter. The N is erased
automatically be converted to a 0.0 in the next quarter.
                                                                and a grade entered in its place only upon
The instructor can change the 0.0 to a grade by
submitting a change-of-grade card any time within the           completion of the sequence. In other hyphenated
one-year limit.                                                 sequences, a grade is recorded for the first
                                                                quarter and the student is not actually required
Academic probation and incompletes                              to complete the second quarter.
After the quarter is underway, a student will not
be retroactively dropped by an incomplete                       Withdrawals
removal in an earlier quarter, but a student may                Withdrawal from a course during the third
be retroactively put on probation.                              through the seventh weeks of the quarter (the
Incompletes left at graduation                                  Late Course Drop Period, one drop/year
If a student receives an incomplete the quarter in              allowed) is recorded as a W with the week of
which s/he graduates and the course is not needed               the withdrawal also indicated; for example,
for the degree, the incomplete does not                         ―W3.‖ The withdrawal does not affect the
automatically convert to a 0.0 the next quarter. If a           student’s GPA.
grade is submitted, such an incomplete can be                   If a student drops all his/her courses (withdraws
converted to a grade in the very next quarter after             for the quarter) after the second week of the
graduation, but if the conversion hasn’t occurred               quarter, the courses are listed on the transcript
by then the incomplete will remain permanently as               each with a W grade, and the date of the
an I. If the incomplete is converted to a grade in the          withdrawal is noted.
quarter following graduation, the grade is not                  Course withdrawals made during Registration Periods
added into the student’s final GPA.                             I, II, III, and the Unrestricted Drop Period are not
                                                                recorded on the transcript. No withdrawals except
                                                                hardship withdrawals (or complete withdrawal from
                                                                the quarter) are allowed after the seventh week of the
The old incomplete system                                       quarter.
Before Summer 1976, a student was allowed up
to two years to remove an incomplete, and an
incomplete was never automatically converted to
an E. Since it is now too late for any such
incompletes to be converted to grades, they will                Hardship withdrawals
remain permanently on the record as incompletes.                Hardship withdrawals, when granted (see
They will never be converted to 0.0s.                           Registration chapter), are recorded with a grade
X grades                                                        of ―HW.‖ HWs do not affect the student’s GPA.
An instructor may submit a grade of ―X‖ for a student           Previous withdrawal policies
if for whatever reason the student’s grade is not               From Summer 1976 through Summer 1990,
available when the grades for the class are submitted.          course withdrawals made during the third and
The student does not receive credit for the course until        fourth weeks of the quarter were recorded with a
a numerical grade is turned in. Also, if an instructor
                                                                grade of W, and withdrawals made from the
has not turned in any grade by the time grade reports
are printed, an ―X‖ will be recorded until the grade is         fifth week until the end of the quarter
submitted. If the instructor never turns in a grade, the        (peremptory drops) were recorded with a grade
X remains on the transcript. The GPA is not affected            of *W. Neither affected the GPA. Hardship
and no credit is granted.                                       withdrawals (HW) were also granted under this
                                                                withdrawal system.
Hyphenated courses                                              Before Summer 1976, the instructor assigned a
                                                                grade of PW if the student was passing at the

time of withdrawal, or EW if the student was                subsequent quarter, even with a different
failing. PWs did not affect the student’s GPA,              instructor, so long as the original instructor agrees
but EWs were added in as Es.                                to submit an incomplete removal grade.

Repeating courses                                           Notations that appear next to
A student who registers for and completes a
course, and then in a later quarter registers for           DR =   grade counts, credit does not count
the same course again is said to be repeating the                    (repeated course)
course, unless the Course Catalog description of            R=     neither grade nor credit counts
the course indicates it can be repeated for credit.         D=     grade counts, credit does not count
Since Autumn 1985, an undergraduate student is              DR
allowed to repeat a course once, regardless of
                                                            When a student repeats a course, the notation
the original grade. Both grades remain on the
                                                            DR for Deduct-Repeat is posted by the second
student’s transcript and both are computed into
                                                            grade. The notation indicates that the grade
the student’s GPA, but the credit hours for the
                                                            counts in the student’s GPA but the credit is not
repeat are not counted—unless the student
                                                            added to the credit total—because the student
received a 0.0 grade in the course the first time,
                                                            has already earned credit for the same course.
and therefore no credit. The two grades are not
                                                            (If the student’s previous grade was 0.0 no
averaged together; each appears on the
                                                            notation is made, and both the credit and the
                                                            grade count.)
For information about how a course is posted if
a student enrolls a third time, see the ―R‖                 R
notation under ―Notations that appear next to               If a student enrolls in and completes a class a
grades,‖ below.                                             third time, neither the credit nor the grade
Previous repeated-course policies                           counts. An X is posted instead of the grade, and
                                                            an R (for Repeat) is posted next to it. (This is
From Winter 1983 through Summer 1985, an
                                                            done manually by the Graduation and Academic
under-graduate student was allowed to repeat a
                                                            Records Office, about a month after grades are
course once, and only if the original grade was
                                                            posted. So if the student requests a grade report
below 2.0. Both grades remained on the student’s
                                                            from MyUW in the month before the grade is
transcript, and both were calculated into the
                                                            erased and the R is posted, the student can see
student’s GPA. Before Winter 1983, students were
                                                            how s/he did in the course.) If the grades for the
allowed to repeat any course any number of times.
                                                            two previous attempts were both 0.0 and the
At the student’s request, only the most recent grade
                                                            student passes the course on the third try,
was computed into the student’s GPA, and a
                                                            instead of X the grade is replaced with CR to
diagonal line was drawn through earlier grades.
                                                            indicate the student passed the course. An R is
Incompletes                                                 not posted in this case because although the
A student who takes an incomplete in a course               grade does not count, the credit does.
should never reregister for the course as a way of          The R notation is also used when a student
making up the incomplete, since s/he will then              completes the first quarter of the foreign
receive two grades—one for the incomplete                   language the student took in high school to meet
conversion (0.0, unless the instructor submits a            the UW’s admission requirement. The first
grade), and another for the reregistration. Both            quarter of a student’s language of admission is
grades will stand and be computed into the                  considered a duplication. The course and grade
student’s GPA. Instead, the student should make             received are posted on the transcript, but neither
arrangements to complete the work for the course            the credit nor the grade counts in the student’s
with the original instructor. In some cases, this           totals.
may mean the student will sit in on the course in a         D

The notation D for Deduct is posted by the grades          graduation but not toward the grade-point average,
of courses when the grade counts in the student’s          or vice-versa, as shown in the chart below.
GPA but the credit does not count toward
graduation. The notation is used mainly for 100-                                         counted in       counted in
and 200-level ROTC courses and ESL courses                        type of course        total credits   graded credits
                                                                                           earned         attempted
taken Summer 1993 or later.
                                                           regular graded course,           yes              yes
                                                           grade 0.7 or above
Grade reports
                                                           regular graded course,            no              yes
Quarterly grade reports are no longer mailed to            grade 0.0
all students. Instead, most students obtain their          S/NS                           yes, if S          no
grades from MyUW or by calling STAR.
Students may request to have their grade reports           CR/NC                         yes, if CR          no
mailed to them.                                            ESL                               no              yes
A sample of the quarterly grade report students            100- and 200-level ROTC           no              yes
obtain from MyUW is shown on the next page.
The following paragraphs explain the grade and             300- and 400-level ROTC          yes              yes
credit information on the report.                          1 quarter of the student’s        no              no
 ―Graded Credits Attempted‖ is the number of               foreign lang. of admission
credits used to calculate the quarterly grade-point        MATH 098                          no              no
average. This figure will often differ from ―Total
Credits Earned,‖ as some courses count toward

Points                                                                                                        Earned‖

obtained by multiplying the number of credits for each class by the grade received. Thus, for MUSIC 162 as
shown in the sample, 5 credits times a grade of 2.7 yields 13.5 grade points.
―Grade Point Average‖ is obtained by dividing the grade points by the graded credits attempted. In the
sample, 40.8  13 = 3.14 GPA.
In this way the grades for each course are weighted, so that a 4.0 in a 5-credit course affects the GPA more
than a 4.0 in a 2-credit course.
In the Cumulative Summary, the Graded Credits Attempted, Grade Points Earned, and Grade Point Average
include only UW credits.

Students may obtain an up-to-date unofficial transcript at the Transcript Office, 260 Schmitz. Departments
are mailed unofficial transcripts for their majors each October; advisers can also order unofficial transcripts
from the Transcript Office. Whenever a premajor student declares a major, Undergraduate Advising prints a
current unofficial transcript and includes it in the student’s file.
On the next page is a sample unofficial UW transcript.
The unofficial transcript begins with the quarter of admission, the high school GPA, and the levels of math
and foreign language reached in high school. Any admission deficiencies should be posted here. In the
sample, the student completed no fine arts in high school, and so is deficient. (Since the fine arts
requirement is ½ unit the deficiency is actually ½ unit, but the program can’t print ½ so it appears on
transcripts as 1 unit.)
SAT scores may be posted, along with the student’s Admission Index number and any holds on the
student’s record.
Transferred courses
Transferred courses, if any, are next. The courses are listed by college; the colleges are listed in numerical
order by college code rather than chronological order. The transfer record is printed only on unofficial
transcripts, and not on official transcripts.
The dates of attendance at each college are given, along with the courses, credits, grades, total credits
earned, and GPA for each.
Any course that transfers as the equivalent of a UW course is listed separately with the UW title of the
course and the grade. Letter grades are converted to numerical grades. Courses not the equivalent of any
UW course are listed as ―X‖ credit (see Transfer evaluations, below). If an entry represents more than one
course, instead of the grades ―CR‖ is entered.
The student’s transfer GPA is calculated from all the grades in transferred non-vocational courses, not only from the
transfer grades recorded on the unofficial UW transcript. Note on the sample transcript that the transfer GPA is 3.68,
even though the posted grades would imply a higher GPA. This is because the grades for the 10 credits of MUSIC 1XX
are not posted individually but are included in the calculation.
At the bottom of the list of transferred courses is posted the total number of transfer credits allowed. ―Total
credits allowed‖ is what may count toward a UW degree; ―total credits earned‖ may include community
college credits in excess of the 90 credits normally allowed.

Extension and advanced placement credit
Below transfer credits are listed any correspondence credits, extension credits that do not count as residence
credit, and advanced placement (including credit-by-exam) credits earned. These credits are usually referred to
collectively as ―extension credits,‖ and their total is held separate from the transfer credit total.

The sample transcript has posted 5 credits of English composition, awarded for a passing score on a College
Board Advanced Placement exam taken in high school.
UW courses
After the list of transferred and extension courses, each quarter of coursework at the UW is posted. On the
first line of each quarter’s entry the student’s major at the time is indicated, as well as the student’s class; 1
= freshman, 2 = sophomore, etc. Below each quarter’s courses are two lines of information about the
quarter's credits and grades. Below this are two lines of information about the student’s cumulative credits
and GPA.
Near the end of the transcript is a cumulative credit summary. In our example, ―UW credits attempted‖ is 2
credits more than ―UW graded attempted.‖ This is because the student has a 2-credit CR/NC course that
counts in the student’s credit total but not in the student’s GPA.
At the very end of the transcript is the student’s current program, if the student was registered for the
upcoming quarter when the transcript was printed.

STUDENT NAME                                      BALLARD HIGH SCHOOL             06/01/98      08/27/01

STUDENT NUMBER                03/24/80            RESIDENT                        FEMALE        ASC5060    PDL03


************************************************               ADVANCE PLACEMENT:
**                                                               ENGL 111 BY CEEB     (04/01/98)       5.0
*                                                              TOTAL APPLIED TOWARD NEXT DEGREE:       5.0
* OR ANY COPY THEREOF MAY CONSTITUTE A FELONY                ------------------------------------------------
*                                                            -----
************************************************                    ADVISING INTERNAL TRANSCRIPT
**                                                                  CACI, CYNTHIA
                                                                    ASC5060     DP/COL:       C
HIGH SCHOOL GPA: 3.75                                                AUTUMN 2000             PREMAJ 2
HIGH SCHOOL SUBJECTS:                                        CHEM    142 GENERAL CHEMISTRY       5.0   2.7
    SUBJECT        YRS COMPLETED/YRS DEFICIENT               ENGL    320 ENGL LIT: MID AGES      5.0   3.8
  ENGLISH       4/0                                          PHIL    320 ANCIENT PHILOSOPHY      5.0   4.0
  MATHEMATICS                  4/0                               QTR ATTEMPTED:15.0 EARNED:15.0    GPA:3.50
  SCIENCE       3/0                                              QTR GRADED AT: 15.0     GRADE POINTS:
  SOCIAL SCIENCE               3/0                               52.5
  FOREIGN LANGUAGE             2/0                           CUM ATTEMPTED:15.0 UW EARNED:15.0 TTL
  ART       0/1                                              EARNED:15.0
                                                             CUM GRADED AT:15.0 GRADE PTS:52.5 CUM GPA:
                                                                     WINTER 2001             PHIL    3
SAT SCORES : VERBAL:600 MATH 620                             CHEM    152 GENERAL CHEMISTRY       5.0   3.6
ADMISSION INDEX: 88                                          CLAS    101 LAT GRK CURRENT USE     2.0   CR
                                                             DRAMA 302 W-PLAY ANALYSIS           5.0   3.9
DETAIL OF TRANSFER CREDIT:                                   PHIL    347 SOCIAL PHILOSOPHY       5.0   3.2
  NORTH SEATTLE C C, WA (2 YEAR SCHOOL)                          QTR ATTEMPTED:17.0 EARNED:17.0    GPA:3.57
  ATTENDED 1998-2000                                             QTR GRADED AT: 15.0     GRADE POINTS:
  AA DEGREE GRANTED 2000                                         53.5
  BIOL 100 INTRO BIOLOGY               5.0        4.0        CUM ATTEMPTED:32.0 UW EARNED:32.0 TTL
  ENGL 131 COMPOSITN: EXPOSITN         5.0        4.0        EARNED:32.0
  ENGL 1XX      5.0                   4.0                    CUM GRADED AT:30.0 GRADE PTS:106.0 CUM GPA:
  ENGL 2XX      5.0                   3.8                    3.53
  MATH 124 CALC ANALYT GEOM            5.0        4.0
  MUSIC 1XX    10.0                    CR                        SCHOLARSHIP STATUS:   DEAN’S LIST
  PHIL 120 LOGIC                       5.0        4.0
  PHIL 2XX      5.0                   3.6                            SPRING 2001             PHIL    3
  PHIL 2XX      5.0                   3.8                    CHEM    162 GENERAL CHEMISTRY       5.0   3.4
  SPAN 103 ELEMENTARY                  5.0        3.8        PHIL    412 INDIAN PHILOSOPHY       5.0   4.0
  WOMEN 2XX     5.0                   3.4                    WOMEN 310 WOMEN AND LAW             5.0   3.6
  WOMEN 2XX     4.0                    CR                        QTR ATTEMPTED:15.0 EARNED:15.0    GPA:3.67
  UW    1XX     5.0                   4.0                        QTR GRADED AT: 15.0     GRADE POINTS:
  UW    1XX    15.0                                              55.0
  TOTAL CREDITS EARNED                84.0                   CUM ATTEMPTED:47.0 UW EARNED:47.0 TTL
  3.68                                                       EARNED:47.0
                                                             CUM GRADED AT:45.0 GRADE PTS:161.0 CUM GPA:
  SUMMARY OF TRANSFER CREDIT: 2 YEAR     4 YEAR              3.58
    TOTAL CREDITS EARNED:      84.0       0.0                    SCHOLARSHIP STATUS:   DEAN’S LIST
    TOTAL CREDITS ALLOWED:     84.0       0.0                ANNUAL DEAN’S LIST
CREDIT:                                                      CUMULATIVE CREDIT SUMMARY:
  UW GRADE POINTS      161.0   -----------------

*******************WORK IN
        AUTUMN 2001                    PHIL
CHEM    237 ORGANIC CHEMISTRY          4.0
    QTR REGISTERED                     9.0
*********************END OF


Transfer evaluations                                        appears in the Transfer Equivalencies, after
                                                            discussing the course’s content with the student.
The initial evaluation of credits transferred to            For example, a special offering of a course that is
the UW from other institutions is done by the               usually I&S may qualify it as an NW.
Office of Admissions. Evaluations are not                   Advisers should use the SRF330 screen to post
written out for postbaccalaureate or                        AoK, English composition, W course, Q/SR, and
nonmatriculated students. A sample transfer                 foreign language designations whenever necessary.
evaluation is on the next page.                             If they aren’t posted, the courses will not be
Courses transferred from other colleges are                 assigned properly when a DARS report is run.
translated into equivalent UW course numbers                For definitions of Visual, Literary, and
by Admission Specialists in the Office of                   Performing Arts; Individuals and Societies; and
Admissions.                                                 The Natural World, see
X credit                                                    http://www.washington.edu/students/
If a course does not seem equivalent to anything in         ugrad/advising/ged/gedaok.html#descriptions.
our curriculum, it is evaluated as ―X‖ and placed           X-credit courses already recognized by DARS
under whichever department seems most appropriate           Some transfer X-credit courses are already
(e.g., WOMEN 1XX if the course was 100-level at the         recognized by STAR as applicable to Areas of
sending institution, 2XX if 200-level, etc.) Courses        Knowledge. Advisers do not need to post V, I, or N
may be combined; in the example, several music              notations for transfer X-credit courses in the
courses are listed as MUSIC 1XX, 10 credits total.          departments listed below.
Interdisciplinary courses, academic courses for             VLPA
which there is no corresponding UW department,                 ART                   DANCE
and transferable vocational courses are listed as UW           ART H                 DRAMA
                                                               C LIT                 LING
1XX, etc. Vocational courses have no grade listed,
                                                               CL AR                 MUSIC
as the grades are not calculated into the transfer
GPA. In the sample transcript, the 15 credits of UW         I&S
1XX in the first course list must be vocational,               AAS                   PHIL
because no grades are listed. In the second course             AES                   POL S
list there is another UW 1XX that is an academic               ANTH                  RELIG
course, because it has a grade listed.                         ARCHY                 SIS, SISA, SISAF,
                                                               CHSTU                  SISCA, SISEA,
Identifying transfer courses that count                        ECON                   SISJE, SISLA,
                                                               HIST, HSTAA,           SISME, SISRE,
toward UW requirements                                          HSTAM, HSTAS,         SISSA, SISSE
Courses from Washington state community colleges                HSTEU                SO JU
                                                               LAW                   SOC
may be identified in the ―Req‖ column if they count            MHE                   WOMEN
toward a basic skills requirement or Areas of
Knowledge. UW X courses, in particular, will often          NW
receive an Areas of Knowledge designation.                     AMATH                 GENET
                                                               ASTR                  GEOL
Usually, however, advisers determine for each                  ATM S                 GPHYS
student which UW X and depart-mental X credits                 B STR                 MATH
may be applied toward requirements.                            BIO A                 MICROM
For courses transferred from Washington                        BIOC                  OCEAN
community colleges, advisers should check the                  BIOL                  PHYS
                                                               BOTANY                Q SCI
onlineTransfer Equivalencies at                                CHEM                  STAT
http://www.washington.edu/students/                            CSE                   ZOOL
uga/transfer/course_equiv.html to determine how a              FISH
course counts toward requirements, if it isn’t clear
from the course title. Under some circumstances,            Note, however, that an adviser may add another
advisers may even change a designation that                 Area of Knowledge notation to any course from
                                                            these departments. For example, if a student

transfers a RELIG 1XX course that was a
literature course on the Bible, that course will
automatically count toward I&S but can be
posted by the adviser to count toward VLPA as
well. (As always, a course that can count toward
more than one Area can be counted by the
student toward one Area or the other, but not
both simultaneously.)

Q/SR courses                                              NOTE: Exceptions to the Transfer Associate
All MATH and STAT courses of at least 4½                  Agreement are courses that do not transfer for
credits (except MATH 120) count toward the                credit, English composition courses, and first-
Q/SR requirement, so they need not have a Q               year foreign language courses used to satisfy
posted.                                                   UW’s foreign language requirement. Even
W courses                                                 though community colleges may count these
W courses are not identified in the Transfer              courses toward their general education
Guide, but should be marked W on the transfer             requirements, students may not count them
evaluation if identified as writing-intensive on a        toward UW’s Areas of Knowledge requirement.
Washington state community college transcript.            For more information about the Transfer
Advisers can post Ws on any transfer course               Associate Degree Agreement, see
that appears to meet UW’s criteria for a writing-         http://www.washington.edu/
intensive course. A summary of the criteria is at         students/ugrad/advising/ged/gedaa.html.
http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advi             MATH 098
                                                          MATH 098 (formerly MATH 101), if taken, is
The Transfer Associate Degree Agreement
                                                          listed with the transferable courses but ―0‖ is
The College of Arts and Sciences (and some
                                                          listed in the credit column. The grade received
other UW colleges, listed below) allows students
                                                          is listed in the grade column. MATH 098 is
who transfer to the UW with a transfer associate
                                                          listed because it is an admission requirement for
degree to count transferred courses toward the
                                                          students with a high school math deficiency, and
Areas of Knowledge requirement if they appear
                                                          because MATH 098 or a passing placement test
on the general education lists of their community
                                                          score is prerequisite for registration in MATH
colleges, even if the courses do not appear on
                                                          111 and 120.
UW Areas of Knowledge lists. If any portion of
the breadth requirement must be completed after           First-quarter foreign languages
transfer, students must use the UW AoK lists for          UW students are not allowed credit for the first
the remaining courses.                                    college quarter of the foreign langauge taken in
In the sample evaluation, the student’s 10                high school. However, if such a student
credits of PHIL 2XX would normally be                     completes the first college quarter or semester
counted as I&S by DARS, with no notation                  of the language before transfer to the UW, the
required. North Seattle Community College,                student is allowed credit.
however, allows students to count philosophy
courses as either humanities or social sciences.
Because the student has completed an associate            Semester credits
                                                          All transferable credits are translated into quarter credits
degree at NSCC, the UW adviser could post one
                                                          (if necessary) and listed on the transfer evaluation.
or more of the PHIL courses as VLPA. The                  Semester credits are multiplied by 1½ to obtain quarter
student could then choose to count the courses            credits; thus, a 3-credit semester course transfers in as
toward either Area at the UW.                             4½ quarter credits. (When applying such courses to
The Transfer Associate Agreement applies to               general education requirements, round the half-credits
students who graduate in the following schools            up; a 4½-credit course, for example, is rounded up to
and colleges: Architecture and Urban Planning,            5 credits. When counting credits toward the 180 credits
Arts and Sciences, Business Administration,               required for graduation, do not round up either
Education, Medicine, Nursing, Ocean and                   individual courses or the student’s credit total.
Fishery Sciences (Oceanography major only),               Transferable credits
and Social Work. If a student entered the UW              The total number of transferable credits from 2-
with a transfer Associate of Arts or Associate of         year and 4-year schools is indicated at the bottom
Sciences degree from a Washington community               of the form as ―Total Transfer Credits Recorded;‖
college, there will be a notation in the upper            below that is the total number of credits allowed
right corner of the transfer evaluation.

toward the 180 credits required for graduation               Not all students who complete an associate’s degree
from the UW.                                                 transfer 90 credits. In the sample evaluation on page
Students are allowed to count only 90 community              37, the AA is posted even though only 84 credits
college credits toward a bachelor’s degree. If the           transferred. The UW does not transfer a number of
student transfers more than 90 community college             courses that community colleges count toward
                                                             associate’s degrees at community colleges, including
credits, the excess is not ―lost‖. ALL transferable          MATH 098.
credits can be used, as they apply, toward basic
skills, breadth, or major requirements. The
student must present, however, at least 90 quarter           Types of credit
credits from four-year schools to receive a
bachelor’s degree. (At least 45 of these 90 must             Residence credits
be taken in residence at the UW.)                            Residence credits are credits earned by a
Extension credits                                            matriculated student (a student admitted to the
On the reverse side of the transfer evaluation               UW to pursue a degree program) at his/her home
form are recorded any extension courses or                   campus (Seattle, Bothell, or Tacoma). Residence
credit-by-exam courses the student completed                 credits at the Seattle campus include regular day
before enrolling as a matriculated student at the            and evening courses, Evening Degree Program
UW. A copy of this is sent to advisers along                 courses, and evening courses offered through
with the transfer evaluation.                                Educational Outreach (UW Extension) in the
Vocational credits                                           Evening Credit Program. Courses in the Evening
Most vocational courses are not transferrable.               Credit Program (UW Extension) taken by UW
Students who enter the UW with a transfer associate          students on drop status, however, do not count as
degree, however, are allowed up to 15 credits of             residence credit.
vocational courses. These are posted as UW 1XX. The
grades in these courses are not included in the transfer     Nonmatriculated credits
GPA, and are not posted on the transfer evaluation.          A nonmatriculated student is one who has not
Only students who enter with a transfer associate            been regularly admitted to the UW to pursue a
degree all allowed to transfer vocational credits. This      degree program. A nonmatriculated student may
allowance does apply, however, even to students who          not accumulate residence credit. UW credits
don’t meet the Direct Transfer Agreement (page 8).
                                                             taken by nonmatriculated students, including
Updates                                                      courses in the UW Extension Evening Credit
The course listings and credit totals are revised as         Program, are recorded on a UW transcript. (UW
additional transcripts are received. Copies of the           Distance Learning courses, however, are
original evaluations are sent to both the student and        recorded as extension credit; see below.) After a
the department; copies of any revisions are sent only        student becomes matriculated and completes 45
to the department.
                                                             residence credits, any credits previously
Grades                                                       completed as a nonmatriculated student,
                                                             including courses in the UW Extension Evening
A grade-point average is calculated for the
                                                             Credit Program, become residence credit. No
transferable courses from each college. In
                                                             petition is required.
general, the transfer GPA is calculated using
only the grades in transferable courses,                     Transfer credits
including any E’s. Vocational-technical courses              Transfer credits are credits taken in residence at
are not included in the transfer GPA. If several             another institution of higher education, then
courses are grouped on one line on the transfer              accepted by the UW after admission to the UW.
evaluation, ―CR‖ is entered in the grade column.             Credits taken at a UW campus other than the
Although not all grades are listed, the student’s            student's home campus count as transfer credit.
transfer GPA is based on the grades in all                   Extension credits
transferable courses.

Extension credit includes all credits that are               and quarterly scholarship status. It also shows official
neither residence credits nor transfer credits.              ―transcript comments,‖ such as graduation petitions
This includes:                                               approved and foreign-language proficiency tests passed.
  • Distance Learning (correspondence) credit
                                                             SRF317—Quarter Transcript Inquiry
  • Advanced Placement credit from CEEB                      This screen provides a list of the student’s courses,
    Advanced Placement exams or from                         credits, and grades for the quarter requested. The
    International Baccalaureate exams                        numerical grades received in S/NS courses are visible
  • Credit by examination (challenged courses)               on this screen.
  • Armed Forces Training School credit                      SRF325—Transfer Summary
  • UW Extension Evening Credit Program                      This screen provides a list of all the colleges the student
    courses taken while on drop status                       has previously attended, and the number of credits
Note that this is the formal definition of                   transferred from each to the UW. To see a detailed list
extension credit. Informally, the term ―extension            of the courses transferred from a particular college,
credit‖ is used to refer to all credits offered by           enter an ―X‖ in front of the college name and send; the
Educational Outreach, including courses in the               SRF330 screen will then appear.
Evening Credit Program and Distance Learning                 SRF330—Transfer Courses
courses (but not including Summer quarter,
                                                             The courses transferred by the student from the college
which is also an Educational Outreach                        requested are listed on this screen. The college is
program). This older use is confusing, now that              requested by its college code, which can be obtained on
courses in the Evening Credit program count as               the SRF325 screen. Advisers use this screen to identify
residence credit for matriculated students who               transfer courses that count toward graduation
are not on drop status.                                      requirements by posting, for example, a V for VLPA.

Grade information available from                             SRF320—Extension Credit and
the Student Data Base                                        Credit-by-Exam
                                                             The screen lists any non-residence extension
SRF301—Transcript Inquiry                                    credit earned by the student. Extension credit
This screen provides views of the student’s transcript,      includes correspondence, AP, credit-by-exam,
either the whole transcript (chronologically or in           and UW Extension Evening Credit Program
reverse order, starting with the most recent quarter), or    courses taken by students on drop status.
a selection of courses based on parameters entered by
the adviser. For example, an adviser can request to see
only the courses completed in the student’s major, or        Grade information available on the
only courses taken S/NS, or only the student’s last 45       Internet
credits. A grade-point average is calculated for each
group of courses requested. This screen can be used,         Grades and UW Transcripts
among other things, to quickly calculate the student’s       http://www.washington.edu/students/#GRADES
GPA in the major department.                                 The Grades section of the Student Guide
SRF310—Student Academic Summary                              consists mainly of text taken directly from the
                                                             General Catalog on topics such as the UW
One line of information appears for each quarter in
                                                             grading system, incompletes, repeating courses,
attendance at the UW. The information provided
includes quarter and year, class, major code, GPA,           and low and high scholarship.
scholarship status, credits attempted, credits earned, and   MyUW
grade points. (To see a list of the courses taken in a       http://myuw.washington.edu/
particular quarter, enter an ―X‖ in the space by the
                                                             MyUW allows students with a secure web
quarter/year and send; the SRF317 screen will appear.)
The SRF310 screen is useful when the adviser wishes a        browser to view their grades and make address
condensed view of the student’s record of attendance         changes. Now that grades are not mailed to

students (unless requested), most students obtain
their grades from MyUW or STAR.
Ordering an official transcript
Instructions for student who wish to order an
official transcript, in person or by mail, are
provided at this website.

                Choosing and Declaring
                  Majors and Minors

             Students may seek help in choosing majors and careers from
             academic advisers and from counselors at the Student Counseling
             Center and the Center for Career Services. Students must declare
             majors by the time they reach 105 credits, although extensions are
             available for students who are making progress toward a
             reasonable goal.
             Many UW majors have competitive admission; others are not
             competitive but may require that certain courses be completed
             before a student can declare the major. After meeting any
             admission requirements, a student declares a major by processing
             a ―Change of College/School and Major or Minor‖ form.

              Career counseling.................................................................................39
              Satisfactory progress (the 105-credit rule) ...........................................41
              Declaring a major or minor ..................................................................42
              Double majors and double degrees ......................................................42
              Cross-enrollment ..................................................................................44
              Information about majors and minors available on the Internet ..........44

Career counseling
There are three main counseling offices on campus for students who need assistance in choosing a major
and making decisions about career goals.
Undergraduate Advising Office
At Undergraduate Advising, part of the Undergraduate Gateway Center at 171 Mary Gates Hall,
students can obtain information about all majors available at the University. Although more detailed
information is available from departmental advisers, at Undergraduate Advising the counselor and the
student can compare the requirements and (to some extent) the career opportunities of different fields.
The advisers also provide preprofessional advising in such areas as pre-medicine and pre-law. A library

of departmental course requirements, information on health professions, and Washington college
catalogs is maintained. Various handouts are available.
Each quarter, Undergraduate Advising and the Center for Career Services offer ―How to Choose a Major
and Investigate Careers‖ workshops at Undergraduate Advising. The purpose of these sessions is to
familiarize students with campus major- and career-investigation resources, and dispel some popular myths
about majors and careers. Students register for the workshops at Undergraduate Advising. A handout of the
workshop dates and times is available at Undergraduate Advising and is also at
Undergraduate Advising also has several computers available to students. They can be used to access the
UW home page, WOIS (Washington Occupational Information System, an Internet database of occupa-
tions in Washington state), and other Internet sites.
Student Counseling Center
The Student Counseling Center, 401 Schmitz, helps students who are choosing a major and/or career
with individual and group counseling. Myers-Briggs and Strong Interest tests and group evaluation
sessions are also offered. Nominal fees are charged for testing and group and individual counseling.
More information, including a schedule of the Center’s workshops, an archive of their newsletters, and a
number of links to self-help sites, is available at http://depts.washington.edu/scc/.
Center for Career Services
The Center for Career Services, 134 Mary Gates Hall, helps students clarify career objectives and
organize a job search. Career counseling is available in liberal arts, business, education, engineering, and
life sciences. The Center also has a minority job placement program. Before individual counseling,
students should attend an orientation. Various short seminars on career choice and job search techniques
are given each quarter. The Center maintains a library of occupational handbooks. Current employment
opportunities, including internships, part-time student employment, and full-time jobs, are available to
UW students and alumni.
The CCS offers a non-credit career-investigation course, GEN ST 350D, Navigating Career Options.
Students are encouraged to register for concurrent internship credit. The CCS also has WOIS, the
Washington Occupational Information System, an Internet database of occupations in Washington state,
available for student use.
CCS’s website at http://depts.washington.edu/careers/ has more information about their services and
workshops, and a calendar of current events.

Introductory courses
Perhaps the best way for a student to investigate a potential major is to enroll in a course. Almost any
introductory course will give a student an idea of the subject area and methodologies of an academic
Many of the professional majors at the UW offer courses that provide an introduction to the profession.
The courses listed below are offered primarily to acquaint students with the types of problems
encountered in a profession and the methods employed to solve them.
BIOEN 299      Introduction to Bioengineering
 STAT 111      Lectures in Applied Statistics
CFR 101        Forests and Society
DPHS 201       Planning a Career in Dentistry
ESC 101        Introduction to Wildlife Science
ENGR 100       Introduction to Engineering Design
ENV H 311      Introduction to Environmental Health

ENVIR 201/2/3   Environmental Case Studies
FISH 101        Introduction to Fisheries Science
INFO/CSE 100    Fluency in Information Technology
OCEAN 200       Introduction to Oceanography
PSE 102         Paper, Society, and the Environment
REHAB 300       Introduction to Occupational Therapy
SOC WF 200      Intro to Social Work Practice
SOC WF 300      Historical Approaches to Social Welfare
UCONJ 100       Intro to Health Professions
UHF 201         Ecology of Urban Environments
In addition, students should check the quarterly course bulletins of the Experimental College and
Educational Outreach.
Information sessions
A number of undergraduate majors, graduate programs, and professional programs offer information
sessions each quarter for prospective students. The schedule of information sessions for the quarter is
available as a handout at Undergraduate Advising and is at http://www.washington.edu/

Satisfactory progress
(the 105-credit rule)
Students who have completed 105 or more credits but have not declared a major are not allowed to
register for the next quarter. Transfer students who enter with 105 or more credits are expected to
declare a major before registering for their second quarter at the UW.
Students who are not able to declare a major before accumulating 105 credits must meet with an adviser.
If the adviser decides that the student is pursuing a reasonable goal, an extension is granted for a specific
number of quarters. Students who have not declared a major when the extension expires must meet with
an adviser again for a possible renewal of the extension.
Undecided students are normally allowed only one or two quarters of extension to come to a decision. An
extension will not be granted to any student who continues to pursue a major into which, in the adviser's
opinion, the student has no chance of acceptance.
Students granted extensions in the College of Arts and Sciences are coded Extended Premajor, EPRMJ.
The quarter in which the extension expires must be indicated on a change-of-major form.
Extensions are granted through the quarter specified on the change-of-major form. Extension through
Winter quarter, for example, means that a hold will be placed on registration after the end of Winter
quarter. This means that a student whose premajor extension expires ―Winter‖ will be able to register for
Spring quarter. In fact (since we are allowing the student to register for Spring quarter), the extension
doesn’t expire until the third week of Spring quarter, to allow the student to drop and add courses at the
beginning of the quarter.
The quarter in which a student’s premajor extension expires appears on the SRF310 screen.
Students interested in the following programs who will not be able to qualify before the 105-credit
deadline should contact the departmental adviser about a possible extension:
   Asian Languages and Literature
   Forest Resources
   General Studies
   International Studies

   Speech and Hearing Sciences
Students interested in the following programs may contact either the departmental adviser or an adviser
at Undergraduate Advising:
   Architectural Studies
   Art History
   Environmental Health
   Political Science
   Social Welfare
   Society and Justice
For extensions in all other programs, students should see an adviser at Undergraduate Advising.
Postbaccalaureate students
Students admitted as undeclared postbaccalaureate students are expected to declare a major by the time
they have earned 30 credits past their last degree. College advisers may grant extensions beyond the 30-
credit limit.
The 210-credit rule
A student is expected to graduate with no more than 30 credits over the minimum required, which is
usually 180 credits. Each Spring quarter, the Office of the Registrar sends departmental advisers a list of
their declared majors who have earned over 210 credits. The adviser is to flag the names of any students
whose registration should be held and return the list to the Registrar. The Registrar notifies these
students of their hold status, and suggests that they apply to graduate. If the adviser does not respond,
the Registrar assumes that all of the students on the list have the adviser's approval to continue. The 210-
credit rule is, in fact, seldom enforced, and usually only in cases where a student has become a serious
drain on department resources.
Excessive withdrawal
Related to the 210-credit rule is the case of a few students who register and withdraw for many
sequential quarters. In a few cases, students who have repeatedly withdrawn from the University are
given an ultimatum by the Registrar’s Office that they must complete the classes they are registered for,
or they will be subject to a hold on their registration. Permission to continue, if circumstances warrant,
can be worked out with an adviser at Undergraduate Advising.

Declaring a major or minor
Before declaring a UW major, the student must meet any admission requirements established by the
department. Many programs with admission requirements also have application deadlines. Consult the
online Student Guide for the admission requirements.

The student who is declaring or changing a major initiates the ―Change of College/School and Major or
Minor‖ form (see sample on next page) at his/her current advising office. The white and canary copies
go with the student.
The student then takes the academic file and change-of-major form to the new department’s adviser for
approval. The new adviser, after signing the form, keeps the canary copy. The canary copy and the
student’s file will be kept in that office until another change of major is processed. The white copy of the
form, fully signed, is then sent to the Registrar’s Office.
Pathways and types
In the New Major/Minor Code box on the change-of-major form there are spaces to list the pathway and
type of the program being declared. Departments that offer several undergraduate programs have a
different pathway code for each program. For example, German has pathway codes for the majors and
minors in German Language and Literature and German Area Studies, and for the German Linguistics
minor. Bachelor degree types and their number codes are listed at the bottom of the form: Bachelor of
Arts, Bachelor of Arts in —, Bachelor of Fine Arts, etc.

Declaring minors
There are no departmental admission requirements for minors. Any undergraduate with at least 90 credits
completed can declare any minor, regardless of whether or not a major has yet been declared. A student may not,
however, declare a minor in the same department as his or her major. A student majoring in one college may
declare a minor in another.
Postbac students may not declare or be awarded minors.
The ―Change of College/School and Major or Minor‖ form is used. If the only change is to declare or un-declare a
minor, an adviser’s signature is not required.

Double majors and double degrees
A student who wishes to declare a double major obtains the signatures of both departments. For example, a
psychology major who decides to double major in psychology and history will submit a change of major
form, changing from ―Psychology‖ to ―Psychology and History.‖ A student may be coded for up to three
majors. Grade reports are sent only to the major listed first, but transcripts are sent annually to all majors for
which the student is coded. STAR, the registration system, re-cognizes all of a student’s declared majors, and
will allow registration in classes restricted to any of those majors.
Double majors vs. double degrees
A double major is one bachelor’s degree with two majors. A double degree is two bachelor’s degrees
granted simultaneously. A double degree requires 180 + 45 = 225 credits.
A double degree is required, rather than a double major, when the two degrees are from different colleges. (The only
exceptions are Oceanography, and Community and Environmental Planning, either of which can be completed as a
double major with any Arts and Sciences major.) A double degree is also required when one degree is a B.A. and the
other is a B.S.
There is no way to ―declare‖ a double degree; the student simply declares a double major, even if the
majors are in different colleges, simply by obtaining the required signatures on the regular change of
college/major form. To graduate with two majors from different colleges, however, the student must
fulfill the requirements for a double degree.
More information about double majors and double degrees is at http://www.washington.edu/

Evening Degree Program
Students in the Evening Degree Program are allowed to complete minors from the day program, but are
not allowed to complete majors from the day program. A student in the day program may complete an
Evening Degree Program major, but must officially switch to the Evening Degree Program by the
quarter s/he graduates. (Neither of these situations is actually cross-enrollment.)
Seattle, Bothell, and Tacoma campuses
Although under certain restrictions (see page 23) students from one UW campus are allowed to cross-
enroll in courses offered at another campus, students may not mix majors from the Seattle campus and
the Bothell and Tacoma branch campuses. A student may not graduate with a double major, for
example, if one of the majors is offered by the Seattle campus and the other by the Bothell campus.
A student who completes the requirements of two majors at different campuses may complete both
degrees only by graduating from one campus and then applying for admission as a postbaccalaureate
student at the other campus.
A student may declare a minor only if it is offered by his/her home campus. If a student completes the
requirements of another campus’s minor, the minor may be requested on the student’s application for
degree. On graduation, the minor and the campus at which the minor was earned will then be recorded
on the student’s academic record.

Information on majors and minors available on the Internet
Student Guide: Choosing a Major
Choosing a Major, in the Majors and Minors section of the Student Guide, includes lists of majors and
minors, with links to the General Catalog text for each. There are separate charts of liberal arts majors,
science and engineering majors, and professional majors, including admission requirements. There are
links to websites on declaring a major, declaring a minor, rules and regulations about minors,
satisfactory progress, double majors, how to choose a major, and information for transfer students.
There is also a website with information about preprofessional programs such as premed and prelaw,
with links to professional organizations and professional schools at other universities.
There is a link here to the information sessions offered by undergraduate majors and graduate and
professional programs. There is also a link to a website listing the e-mail list services offered by a
number of UW departments for declared majors and prospective students.
Workshops and information sessions
The current schedule of information sessions about majors, preprofessional programs, and graduate
programs, and UA/CCS How to Choose a Major and Investigate Careers workshops, is available at this
Email lists
A number of departments maintain email lists of current majors and send out periodic announcements of
interest. Prospective students are usually welcome to sign up as well.
Student Counseling Center

The Student Counseling Center’s website includes a schedule of the Center’s workshops, an archive of
their newsletters, and a number of links to self-help sites.
The Center for Career Services
CCS’s homepage has information about their services and workshops, and a calendar of current events.


           In order to graduate, each student must complete university, college,
           and major requirements.
           To apply to graduate, a student meets with his/her academic adviser,
           who prepares a graduation application, using either the Application
           for Degree form or a DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System)
           graduation audit.
           Each department has internal procedures for petitioning to waive
           departmental graduation requirements. In the College of Arts and
           Sciences, petitions to waive college- or university-level graduation
           requirements are initiated by the departmental adviser and submitted
           on a Graduation Petition form to the Arts and Sciences Graduation

              University graduation requirements .....................................................45
              College of Arts and Sciences graduation requirements .......................47
              DARS ...................................................................................................47
              Applying to graduate............................................................................51
              Petitioning graduation requirements ....................................................56
              Graduation information available from the Student Data Base ...........59
              Graduation information available on the Internet ................................59

University graduation requirements
Removal of admission deficiencies
Any admission deficiencies must be removed before graduation (see page 11).
English language
No student who is subject to English Language (English as a Second Language) requirements may
graduate without satisfying them.

Total credits required for graduation
180 college credits (more in some programs) must be completed.
A maximum of 90 community college credits may be counted toward the 180 credits required for
graduation. Community college credits can be counted even if earned in the junior and senior years, if
the final-year residence rule is met (see below). In the past, some Engineering programs required 192
credits; 96 community college credits were accepted in the case of students admitted to those programs.

Residence credit
The student must present at least 45 UW residence credits taken as a matriculated student. For a definition
of residence credit, see below.
Final-year residence
The University-wide ―final-year residence‖ rule states that the last 45 credits must be taken ―in
residence‖ while the student is a matriculated student. Transfer credit (including credit from the Bothell
and Tacoma campuses), credit by exam, advanced placement credit, and correspondence credit do not
count as residence credit. Evening Degree Program credits do count as residence credit.
Educational Outreach (UW Extension) Evening Credit Program credits count as residence credit when
taken by a matriculated UW student, and on the student’s transcript are indistinguishable from regular
residence credit. Note, however, that a student who takes Evening Credit Program courses while on
―drop‖ status because of low scholarship is not a matriculated student at the time, and any Extension
credits completed are not considered residence credit. Also, in the past some Extension credits have
been marked with ―X‖ before the number (e.g., ACCTG X210); these were not residence credit.
Educational Outreach Distance Learning (correspondence) courses do not count as residence credit.
35 of the last 45 credits exception
In all UW schools and colleges there is a standard exception which allows students graduating with at
least 45 credits in residence at the UW (Seattle branch) to take a maximum of ten credits of their last 45
at another institution, or by credit exam or correspondence. In other words, as long as a student has
completed at least 45 UW residence credits, then as few as 35 of the last 45 credits may be taken in
A student who exceeds this 10-credit limit must petition for an exception (see page 56). In general,
exceptions of more than a few credits are granted only if there is a compelling reason, and only if a
substantial portion of the student’s major was completed at the UW.
If a student takes more than 10 credits out of residence, the extra credits need not be counted against the
limit of 10 if they are not needed in any way for degree requirements. For example, if a student has 185
credits, of which the last 15 were taken at another university, and those 15 include at least 5 credits of
free electives, the student need not petition. In such a case, the adviser should include an explanatory
note on the degree application.

Minimum GPA
The student must present a minimum 2.00 GPA for courses taken in residence, including UW Extension
credits that are counted as residence credit. Grades for transfer courses or for ―extension‖ courses as
defined on page 37 are not included.
University general education requirements
Since 1985 (1987 for transfer students) UW students have been required to complete University-level
basic skills and breadth requirements. In all cases, these are met or exceeded by the graduation
requirements of each UW school or college. Since 1994, the University requirements have been:
• one 5-credit English composition course, plus 7 additional credits of English composition and/or
  writing-intensive (W) courses
   •   one course from the University quantitative/ symbolic reasoning (Q/SR) list

• 40 credits of Areas of Knowledge courses, with no fewer than 10 credits in each Area
Graduating under earlier bulletins
Any student may graduate under the graduation requirements in effect at the time of graduation. The
University policy on use of earlier graduation requirements (University Handbook, Vol. IV, Chapter 14,
section 2, at http://www.washington.edu/ faculty/facsenate/handbook/Volume4.html) also provides that if
fewer than ten years have elapsed since a student's admission into the major program, she or he may
choose to graduate under the program requirements in effect at the time of admission, or under any
subsequent requirements. If more than ten years have elapsed since admission to the major, the major
program has the option of requiring the student to complete the current major requirements.
Exceptions to the rule regarding majors may be granted at the discretion of the department. If major
requirements other than the current ones are being used, a note to that effect should be made on the
degree application.

College of Arts and Sciences graduation requirements
General education requirements
Each undergraduate must satisfy the general education requirements of his/her college. The basic skills
and breadth requirements of all undergraduate schools and colleges are described in the current
Bachelor’s Degree Planbook and in the Graduation Requirements section of the Student Guide at
Postbaccalaureate students must complete the breadth requirement (Areas of Knowledge) but are exempt
from skills requirements.
Eligibility for earlier requirements
The College of Arts and Sciences allows students admitted to the University at any time before Autumn
1969 to use the general-education requirements (in toto, including proficiency/basic skills requirements)
in effect at the time of their admission, or they may use any subsequent requirements. In almost all
cases, the student will choose to use the current Areas of Knowledge requirement and the pre-1985 15-
credit proficiency requirement (i.e., the same requirements as all other students who began college
before Autumn 1985).
All students admitted to the University in Autumn 1969 or later must use the current 75-credit Areas of
Knowledge requirement structure and course designations to complete their ―distribution‖ (breadth)
requirement (and may include up to 15 credits with their major-department prefix). Students who were

formerly on the ―white-list‖ or ―green-list‖ requirements may count courses from their former list if
taken before Autumn 1994. In other words, if a course counted for the student’s requirements when s/he
took it, it counts toward the current requirements, but all students taking courses now to meet the Areas
of Knowledge requirement must choose from the current list.
Students whose first enrollment in an institution of higher learning was before Autumn 1985 may use the 15-credit
white/green-list proficiency requirement instead of the current English composition, foreign language, additional
writing, and quantitative/ symbolic reasoning requirements, without regard to time elapsed. For more information,
contact Undergraduate Advising.

An approved major, consisting of a prescribed pattern of at least 50 credits in one department or a group
of related departments, must be completed.
Double majors and double degrees
Unless one of the departments itself sets a limit, students completing a double major or two degrees may take
advantage of any overlap between the prescribed sets of courses in the two programs. The requirements for
two degrees are the same as for a double major, except that the former requires at least 225 credits and the
latter (in most departments) only 180. For more information about double majors and double degrees, see
page 42.
Major GPA
The GPA in the major must be at least 2.00 (GPAs above 2.00 are required by many programs and
In calculating the major GPA, the department has some flexibility in determining what grades to include.
The most liberal policy is to calculate the GPA using any combination of the minimum number of credits
that would satisfy all categories of the major requirements, and exclude additional courses or grades
(including 0.0 grades, whether or not the student has a later passing grade in the same course). A department
may establish a general policy of including all courses and/or grades. It may also consider petitions from
students for variance from such a policy. If the student’s GPA in the major department and in required
courses from other departments is below 2.00, the degree application should make it clear what method of
calculating the GPA is being used.

The Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) produces a computer report of a student’s progress toward degree
completion in a specified major.
Advisers can generate DARS audits from the Student Data Base with SRF390. Students can generate a DARS audit
online from MyUW. Students can also request a DARS audit at the Transcript Office, 260 Schmitz, and pick it up
the next day.
A sample DARS audit is shown on the next three pages. This sample student has completed all the requirements
for a degree with a major in Political Science except the 180-credit total, VLPA, and some required courses in the

                           D E G R E E   A U D I T                             *T*
XXXXXXX 000557947 538-08-0495                                        8/30/01 13:25
STUDENT, SAMPLE                                   06/05/79
Major: 0-POL S-00-11
Program to audit: 0-POL S -00-11                  UW Entrance quarter: AUT/1997
Summary or Detail (S/D): D                    Degree Program Entrance: WIN/2000

   XXXXXXX STUDENT, SAMPLE                                                8/25/01
   PROGRAM: 0-POL S-00-11, Bachelor of Arts (Political Science)
   PREPARED: 8/25/01 - 12:44
   This report is intended as an advising tool for course planning
   and degree progress. Final confirmation of degree requirements
   is subject to department or college and university approval.
   This report may contain inaccuracies such as individual
   exceptions that have not been processed and non-equivalent
   transfer courses (e.g., ENGL 1XX) that are not assigned properly.
   NOTE: At least one requirement still incomplete.
   Please review this audit carefully and bring any discrepancies to
   the attention of your adviser in Political Science:
        --Christina Kerr, SMITH 215, 543-1824, ckerr@u.washington.edu
        --Sharon Redeker (advising superviser), SMITH 215, 543-9456,
   Additional information about the Political Science department can
   be found on the Web at http://weber.u.washington.edu/~polisci
                  *** UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS ***
   NO      Credits required for a baccalaureate degree:
           The University requires a minimum of 180 academic credits
           for a Bachelors degree. Your particular degree may
           require more.
        Earned: 160.0 credits
   IN-PROGRESS 15.0 credits
   --> Needs:     5.0 credits
   OK      Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 in all coursework taken
           at the University of Washington.
        Earned:                                            2.65 GPA
   OK      Minimum 45 credits taken in residence as a matriculated
        Earned: 160.0 credits
                  *** COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES ***
   OK      English Composition
   +      AU97 ENGL   198 5.0 3.5        WRITING/SOC SCI
   OK      Foreign Language
      +     Third-quarter course.
                5.0 credits added

      SP00 FRENCH 103 5.0 2.0       ELEMENTARY
OK     Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning
      SP98 ASTR   150 5.0 3.3       THE PLANETS

OK      Writing across the curriculum (W-courses) and/or
        additional composition.
     Earned: 10.0 credits
       WI99 HSTEU 250 5.0 2.3        ROME
       AU00 ENGL   200 5.0 3.0       READING LITERATURE
OK      Visual, Literary, and Performing Arts
     Earned: 20.0 credits
       AU98 SP CMU 220 5.0 2.7       INTRO TO PUBLIC SPK
       WI99 HSTEU 250 5.0 2.3        ROME
       SP00 SP CMU 373 5.0 3.2       PRIN GROUP DISCUSSN
       AU00 ENGL   200 5.0 3.0       READING LITERATURE
OK      Individuals and Societies
     Earned: 20.0 credits
       AU97 ANTH   100 5.0 3.4       INTRO TO ANTHRO
       WI98 HSTAA 212 5.0 2.5        MILITARY HIST OF US
       SP98 ECON   200 5.0 2.6       INTRO MICROECON
       AU98 SOC    110 5.0 3.3       SURVEY SOCIOLOGY
OK      The Natural World
     Earned: 20.0 credits
       SP98 ASTR   150 5.0 3.3       THE PLANETS
       AU99 GEOL   101 5.0 3.4       INTRO TO GEOL SCI
       WI00 BIOL   100 5.0 2.6       INTRODCTRY BIOLOGY
       WI01 ASTR   211 5.0 1.0       UNIVERSE AND CHANGE
OK      Enough additional coursework in the three Areas of
        Knowledge to bring the total to 75 credits.
     Earned: 15.0 credits
       AU97 POL S 101 5.0 3.1        INTRO TO POLITICS
       WI98 POL S 202 5.0 3.0        INTRO TO AMER POL
       SP98 POL S 201 5.0 2.6        INTRO POL THEORY
                 *** DEPARTMENTAL REQUIREMENTS ***
OK      Political Science Requirement: A minimum GPA of 2.25 in
        UW courses used to satisfy Political Science requirements.
        A minimum grade of 2.0 is required for each Political
        Science course taken to fulfill requirements for the
     Earned: 50.0 credits                                2.70 GPA
OK      Political Science Requirement: Introductory Courses
     Earned: 15.0 credits
       AU97 POL S 101 5.0 3.1        INTRO TO POLITICS
       SP98 POL S 201 5.0 2.6        INTRO POL THEORY
       WI98 POL S 202 5.0 3.0        INTRO TO AMER POL
OK      Political Science Requirement: Must take one course in
        each of three different fields (from A, B,C, D, and E).
     Earned: 15.0 credits
   +     Field B: Comparative Government & Politics
       WI01 POL S 447 5.0 3.2        COMP POLITICS SEM

     +     Field C:   International Relations
         SP00 POL S   321 5.0 2.8        AMER FOREIGN POLICY
      +    Field D:   American Government & Politics
         WI99 SOC     356 5.0 2.3        SOCIETY & POLITICS
                                         >>MATCHED AS: 0POL S 356
   OK      Political Science Requirement: A minimum of 20 credits
           from upper division courses, excluding independent study
           and internship courses.
        Earned: 20.0 credits
          SP01 POL S 326 5.0 2.5         SCAND IN WORLD AFRS
          AU00 POL S 355 5.0 2.1         AMERICAN PRESIDENCY
          WI01 POL S 407 5.0 2.7         INTERNATL CONFLICT
          AU00 POL S 420 5.0 2.7         SOVIET FOREIGN REL
           Additional Political Science courses, not used in major
           requirements or figured in major GPA.
          SP01 POL S 346 5.0 2.0         WESTERN EUROPE GOVT
          AU01 POL S 422 5.0 IP          INTL ENVTL POLITICS
          SP01 POL S 431 5.0 1.7         MIDDLE EAST - IR
          AU01 POL S 442 5.0 IP          GOVT & POL-CHINA
          AU01 POL S 462 5.0 IP          US SUPREME COURT
                          *** OTHER COURSES ***
           The following courses are considered in-progress, either
           because they have been registered for but not completed
           or have a grade of I, N, or X.
   IN-PROGRESS 15.0 credits
          AU01 POL S 422 5.0 IP          INTL ENVTL POLITICS
          AU01 POL S 442 5.0 IP          GOVT & POL-CHINA
          AU01 POL S 462 5.0 IP          US SUPREME COURT
           The following courses do not apply to the total credit
           earned, because they do not count for credit.
          WI98 ARCHY 105 0.0 W6          WORLD PREHISTORY
          WI99 ASTR   201 0.0 W          THE UNIVERSE
          AU98 PHIL   100 0.0 W6         INTRO TO PHILOSOPHY
           General Electives: The following courses count toward the
           minimum total credit required for graduation, but have not
           been assigned to a specific degree requirement. If you
           believe any of them should apply to a different
           requirement, please consult your adviser.
          WI98 CLAS   324 3.0 3.4        GRK & ROM ATHLETICS
          AU00 CLAS   430 3.0 1.7        GRK & ROM MYTHOLOGY
          AU99 FRENCH 101 5.0 3.5        ELEMENTARY
          WI00 FRENCH 102 5.0 1.9        ELEMENTARY
          AU97 GEN ST 199 1.0 CR         UNIVERSTY RESOURCES
          WI01 INFO   220 3.0 1.1        INFO RES STRATEGIES
          AU99 SOC    270 5.0 3.3        SOCIAL PROBLEMS
          WI00 SOC    316 5.0 2.5        SOCIOLOGICAL THEORY
                           FEDERAL LAW
                      PROHIBITS TRANSMITTAL
                        TO A THIRD PARTY
                      ** END OF ANALYSIS **
    This is the end of the Degree Audit
H Help G Graduation Application (+Y)

F Find     A Audit     B Background        P Prior     N Next     Y print      X B+Y     Z A+Y    Action:P

Applying to graduate
Application for graduation is made through the departmental adviser, and consists of the Application for
Degree form signed by the adviser, certification of completion of general education requirements signed
by the adviser (College of Arts and Sciences only), and a diploma card. Do not send the student to the
Graduation and Academic Records Office to prepare the forms; they are to be filled out by the student
and his/her department adviser. Call the Graduation and Academic Records Office (543-1803) or your
liaison adviser at Undergraduate Advising if you have questions.
The current application form, shown on the next page, has the notation ―UoW 1890 (Rev. 12/99)‖ in the
bottom left-hand corner.
A DARS audit may be substituted for the general education requirements form. Approved departments may
use a similar DARS graduation audit which, in addition to the regular audit information, includes places for
the adviser to add remarks, list any remaining required courses, indicate the quarter of graduation, and sign
the form. If your department is not using the DARS graduation audit and would like to, contact the DARS
office at dars@u.washington.edu.
Read through the directions on the back of the Application for Degree form. A few additional points:

Total Credits for Degree
―Credits Earned to Date‖ should not include the current quarter. Count credits. Do not rely on the
number of credits shown on the transcript, because Graduation and Academic Records may not yet have
removed course duplications from the student’s record. Be especially on guard for transfer courses
repeated at UW, for pairs of courses that are not both allowed (e.g., a student who transferred SPAN 102
and then completed SPAN 110 at the UW is not allowed credit for both), and for math and foreign
language courses taken after credit has already been earned for more advanced courses. If discrepancies
are not caught until the final audit, the student could end up with fewer than 180 credits at the last
minute and not be allowed to graduate.
Any advanced placement credits should be entered as extension credits.
―Total remaining required credits‖ is entered twice, at the bottom of the list of ―Remaining Required
Credits‖ and again in the ―Credits Remaining‖ section.
 ―Elective credits to complete degree‖ is the number of free elective credits required simply to bring the
student’s total to 180 (or whatever is required for the degree).
―Total credits for degree‖ includes the number of credits the student has already completed, plus the
number of credits in the remaining required courses, plus the number of credits (if any) still needed to
bring the total to 180 (or whatever is required for the degree).
Semester half-credits
Do not round up ½ credits in the credit totals (credits earned to date, credits remaining, and the total credits
required for degree). In the sample degree application, for example, the student’s completed credits total
153½. This should not be rounded up to 154 credits.
The total credits remaining in the sample is entered as 27 credits, not 26½. Since the UW no longer offers
any ½-credit courses, it isn’t possible for a student to complete 26½ credits.
Remaining required courses
In listing the remaining required courses, don’t be any more specific than you need to be. If a student needs three
credits of Visual, Literary, and Performing Arts, for example, list “VLPA3,” rather than “ENGL 2255,”
even if the student is currently taking ENGL 225, just in case s/he drops the course and satisfies the requirement
in some other way. If the student needs additional W-course credits, you may list the course in parentheses, if you
expect it to overlap with other coursework (and don’t include it in the total of credits remaining), or you may list
it without parentheses and include the credits in the total.

Postbaccalaureate students
If the student has completed at least 45 credits since the first degree, the credits from the first degree need not be
indicated. For example, the final “total credits for degree” can be “45.” If, however, the student graduated from
the UW with more than 180 credits and is using some of the excess credits toward the second UW degree, the
number of first-degree credits should be indicated (under “total credits earned to date”) and a notation made in
the Remarks section.
Since at least 45 credits toward the degree must be matriculated, watch particularly with fifth-year students for
cases in which the student has earned some of the credits toward the second degree as a nonmatriculated student.
A student with fewer than 45 residence credits must petition to use nonmatriculated credits as residence credits.
Such petitions are usually granted.

The degree application must list any minors the student plans to complete. (Note that students are limited
to a maximum of three minors, and minors are not posted for postbaccalaureate students.) List any
remaining requirements for minors in the ―Minor Course Requirements‖ section.
The requirements of many minors are straightforward, and it is expected that the major-department
adviser can verify completion of most minors. If you are not certain of the requirements for a minor, the
student must consult with the minor-department adviser.
If a student has declared a minor but it is not included on the degree application, the Graduation and
Academic Records Office will contact the student for clarification. If a minor is listed on the degree
application and the student does not complete the remaining requirements listed, the student will not
graduate—just as the student would not graduate if major requirements are not completed.
Feel free to make comments in the Remarks
section about anything that might be
confusing. In particular, the course number
and quarter of duplicated courses should be
mentioned, as well as any pending graduation
petitions. Make a note if a student must obtain
certain grades in any remaining courses; for
example, ―CHEM 162 must be 2.7 or higher.‖
No red ink
Do not use red ink on the degree application.
The Graduation and Academic Records Office
uses it to mark problems on the form.
Current student address
Be sure that the student signs the application and fills in his/her mailing address and email address. The
email address will be used to notify the student if the Graduation and Academic Records Office
discovers any problems.
Keeping a record of the degree application
Note in the student’s file the date the application is sent to the Graduation and Academic Records
Office, and keep the yellow copy of the application in the student’s file.
Advisers in Arts and Sciences should keep the pink copy of the general-education form, or a copy of the
DARS report, in the student’s file.
If any problems are discovered, a letter will be sent to the student by the Graduation and Academic
Records Office (with a copy to the adviser), instructing the student to consult his/her adviser.

The diploma card
The diploma card (shown below) provides the Graduation Office with a permanent record of where the
diploma is to be delivered and when it was sent. Diplomas are mailed to the permanent address the
student has on file with the University; if the student wishes, a different address can be submitted to the
Graduation Office. The student’s name is entered as it will be printed on the diploma; i.e., first name first.
The student’s last name on the diploma card must match the student’s last name in the UW student
database. If a student’s name has changed, s/he must make the change at the Registration Office, 225
General Education Requirements form
Arts and Sciences departments submit the form on the next page, ―General Education Requirements for
the Bachelor’s Degree,‖ (or a DARS report) along with the degree application.
Old requirements
For students who entered college before Autumn 1985 and are therefore eligible for the old proficiency
requirement, fill in the shaded box instead of the Language Skills and Reasoning and Writing in Context
Semester half credits
Round up ½-credit courses to full credits. For example, a 4½ credit VLPA course can be counted as 5
Double majors and double degrees
For students earning a double major, only one General Education Requirements form is necessary
because the fifteen-credit limit on the major department toward Areas of Knowledge applies to only one
of the two majors. The student may choose which major to limit, and courses in the other may be
applied without limit; hence the same general education requirements will satisfy the requirements for
both majors.
On the other hand, two general education forms must be submitted for double degree students. Even if a student who
applies for two degrees uses the same set of general-education courses for both, s/he needs two general education
forms because the applications are submitted independently of each other.
Honors Program
Students who expect to graduate ―With College Honors‖ must meet the honors program requirements instead of the
Areas of Knowledge requirement, and must have their forms certified by the Honors Office, 211 Mary Gates Hall.

Students should apply for graduation a quarter or two before they want to graduate, to allow time to
dispose of problems which may arise when the adviser fills out the graduation application and does a
final check of requirements.
The Graduation and Academic Records Office, 264 Schmitz, will accept applications through the end of
the third week of the quarter the student plans to graduate. The hard-and-fast deadline for a degree
application, then, is the third Friday of the quarter in which the student plans to graduate.
Graduating Senior Registration Priority (GSP)
Students who want Graduating Senior Registration Priority (GSP) must submit the degree application at least two
working days before the GSP registration day. See the chapter on Registration for more information.

Submitting the forms
Staple the general education form (or DARS report) to the Application for Degree form, and attach the diploma
card with a paperclip. Arts and Sciences degree applications go directly to the Graduation and Academic Records
Office. In all other schools and colleges, the applications should receive the signature of the appropriate dean before
being submitted to the Graduation and Academic Records Office.

Double majors and double degrees

A double major (one degree with two majors, 180 or more credits) requires one degree application with
two signatures (one from each major), one general education form, signed by either adviser (or both), and
one diploma card. Both majors must award the student the same degree (e.g., BA in both majors or BS in
both majors, not a BA in one and a BS in the other). Normally, both majors must be in the same college.
Oceanography majors (in the College of Ocean and Fishery Sciences) have a special dispensation to
complete double majors with programs in the College of Arts and Sciences—for example, a double major
in Zoology and Oceanography. Since Community and Environmental Planning is an intercollege
program, a double major with other programs in either Architecture and Urban Planning or Arts and
Sciences is allowed. Other such arrangements may be made in the future.
A double degree (two degrees, two majors, 225 or more credits) requires two degree applications (one
from each major), two general education forms (if both majors are in Arts and Sciences), and two
diploma cards. The two applications do not have to be submitted together. Check the box on both degree
applications to indicate that the student is applying for a double degree.
If a student applies for two degrees but fails to complete all of the requirements for one of them, s/he will
not graduate with the other degree unless the Graduation Office receives instructions to the contrary. The
reason is that if one degree were granted, the student would have to apply for postbaccalaureate admission
to finish a second degree. For similar reasons, a student who applies for a degree with a double major but
does not complete requirements for one of the majors will not graduate unless the application is changed.
If a student receives a degree with a double major, both majors are considered ―used.‖ The student cannot return
later, complete any extra credits required, and apply for a second degree in either of the majors. (A student who has
earned a BA from a department that offers both, however, may return for a BS unless the department specifically
prohibits this.)

Postponing graduation
If a student who has applied wishes to postpone graduation, the Graduation and Academic Records Office
must be notified by the end of finals week of the quarter in which graduation was to occur. The
application may be transferred to another quarter, or it can be held in an inactive file for several quarters.
Either the student or the adviser may place the application on hold.
If the student does not complete all the requirements listed in the graduation application, the student will
not graduate. The Graduation and Academic Records Office will either move the student’s application to
the next quarter or take the student off the graduation list entirely, depending on the circumstances.
A student need not be registered for courses in the quarter in which s/he receives a degree.

Changing a graduation application after submission
Any changes in the remaining required courses and/or credits on a filed application must be approved by
the adviser. The adviser can simply call or e-mail the Graduation and Academic Records Office
(ugradoff@u.washington.edu) and have the change recorded on the application.

Petitioning graduation requirements
A student may petition for waiver or substitution of a graduation requirement if s/he feels there is a
reasonable case. The Arts and Sciences Graduation Committee meets to consider petitions once a month
in Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters. In Summer quarter, most decisions are made by Ran Hennes,
the Dean’s representative on the Committee.
Petitioning departmental requirements
Any petition having to do with requirements solely within the major department is handled by that
department. The student should see his/her adviser and follow the procedure used by the department.
Unless they have been entered as DARS exceptions, approved waivers or substitutions need to be noted
on the degree application in the Remarks section.
Petitioning Arts and Sciences requirements
One-credit waivers
Petitions for waiver of one credit of an Area of Knowledge or of the additional-writing/W-course
requirement are not necessary. Departmental advisers in the College of Arts and Sciences have the
authority to waive one credit in any Area of Knowledge category, provided that the student's total
requirement of 75 credits in the Areas of Knowledge is fulfilled. Departmental advisers may also waive
one credit of the ten required in Additional Writing in Context (W courses). Advisers should inform
Graduation and Academic Records of such waivers by e-mail to dars@u.washington.edu; the change will
be entered into the DARS record.
Using the same procedure, advisers may also waive one credit of the English composition requirement
for students transferring a 4-credit composition course from Western Washington University. For all
other students, waiver of one credit of English composition requires a graduation petition, but will
normally be approved.
Approval of a four-credit transfer course for the Q/SR requirement can be entered onto the SRF330
screen by an adviser at Undergraduate Advising; four-credit courses will normally be approved, three-
credit courses never. If questions arise about unusual patterns or credit amounts of foreign language
coursework, contact Gabo Dam at Undergraduate Advising.
Filing a petition
A student wishing to petition for waiver of an Arts and Sciences requirement should fill out a University
Graduation Petition form and take it to his/her departmental adviser (premajors see an adviser at
Undergraduate Advising, 171 Mary Gates Hall) for recommendation, comment, and signature. The
adviser then sends the form and a copy of the student’s transcript to the Graduation Committee secretary
at Undergraduate Advising.
Jurisdiction of the Arts and Sciences Graduation Committee includes the following areas:
• Requests to waive a portion of the general education requirements. These requests are usually denied
  unless there is documented adviser error. (One-credit waivers of AoK or W courses do not have to be
  petitioned; see above.)
• Requests to use a course for basic skills or breadth that is not on the list. These requests may be more successful
  than asking for an outright waiver, depending on the course to be substituted and substantiation of the claim that
  it meets the intent of ―general education‖ in the area involved. If a case can be made that the course is similar in
  content to other courses on the list, approval is likely.
• Requests to take more than the 10 credits normally allowed during the final year at another college or by
  credit-by-exam or correspondence. Depending on the reasons for the request, chances are good that a
  few extra credits will be allowed, especially if the student has a good record and has a substantial
  number of UW residence credits, including the bulk of the required advanced work in the major.
• Requests to have credits taken as a nonmatriculated student apply to the required minimum of 45
  credits in residence as a matriculated student. These are usually granted.
    • Requests to waive the requirement of 90 credits taken outside the student’s major department.

    These are not likely to be granted unless adviser error is involved.

Petitioning University requirements
If a student is petitioning for a waiver of a University requirement, s/he must first petition the college
committee (if in Arts and Sciences) for its recommendation, following the procedure below. The petition
will then be forwarded to the University Committee for final action. Since the University Committee

meets rather infrequently, these petitions take more time. The University Committee decides on the
following cases:
• Graduation with fewer than 180 credits. Invariably denied, except for posthumous degrees.
• Graduation with fewer than 45 UW residence credits. Invariably denied.
• Graduation with less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA for all UW residence credits. Invariably denied.
• Requests to count a course with an S grade taken Autumn 1985 or later toward a graduation requirement. The
  request is almost certain to be denied. At the time of graduation the Registrar’s Office, however, will allow an S
  or NS grade to be converted to the numerical grade earned for the course if the student would not be able to
  graduate otherwise.
• Allowing more than 90 community college credits. Likely to be approved only under unusual
• Determining a student’s eligibility to graduate under the requirements of a former catalog. (See
  ―Graduating under earlier bulletins,‖ above.) Likely to be approved if the student was very close to
  graduation under the earlier catalog.
• Requests to be exempt from removing an admission deficiency. Usually denied.

Preparing a graduation petition
A sample graduation petition is shown on the next page.
Advisers should make recommendations and comments after the student has filled out the petition; don’t
sign a ―blank check.‖ Advisers’ comments can be a critical factor in the Committee’s final decision. The
Committee is interested not in whether the adviser agrees or disagrees with the general rule or
requirement being petitioned, but in the specific circumstances surrounding a case that may lead the
adviser to recommend approval or denial.
If the student pleads adviser error, the circumstances must be thoroughly documented.
When a student is requesting waiver of any basic skills or breadth credits, include on the petition or on a
separate page a list of the courses being counted toward the area in question. (If the old 15-credit
proficiency requirement is fulfilled by high school background, mention that too, since the Graduation
Committee doesn’t have any record of the high school background.)
Send with the dated petition any other documents from the student’s file that might be of interest to the
For further information, contact:
  • Graduation and Academic Records Office
     206-543-1803       ugradoff@u.washington.edu
  • Ran Hennes
          Dean’s Representative

        Arts and Sciences Graduation Committee

    206-543-7442         rhennes@u.washington.edu
  • Undergraduate Advising
    Secretary, Arts and Sciences Graduation Committee

Graduation information available from the Student Data Base

SRF335—UW Degrees
There is one SRF335 screen for each degree earned at the UW, with the earliest degree shown first.
Advisers find this screen useful because it indicates the status of a student’s degree application.
 ―Applied‖ means that the application has been received. ―2-Incomplete‖ means the application has been
taken off the graduation list and is being held (for a year) until reactivated by the student or the
department. 3 means the student still has two quarters of Graduating Senior Priority for registration; 4
means s/he has used one up; 5 means s/he has used them both. ―9-Granted‖ means that the degree has
been granted and the student has graduated.
SRF340—UW Certificates
The SRF340 screen lists certificates that the student has earned at the UW, such as a teaching certificate.
Advisers can request a DARS audit for a student using this screen—either a detailed audit (D) or a
summary audit (S), which lists only whether or not requirements are completed.

Graduation information available on the Internet
DARS audits
Students can request a DARS audit, in MyUW under the Student Info tab.
The Graduation site (under Moving On in the Student Guide) includes some information for students
about applying to graduate and the Commencement ceremony.
Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar includes the deadlines for degree applications for upcoming quarters.
University requirements
Under Graduation Requirements in the Student Guide is the site University Requirements for a
Bachelor’s Degree, which includes credit and GPA requirements and the final-year residence

                           Support Services
           UW academic counselors interact frequently with counselors and staff
           of the other academic, administrative, and student-service offices on

         campus. Listed in this chapter are the offices advisers contact most
         frequently for information and refer students to for assistance.


            Carlson Leadership and Public Service Center ....................................62
            Center for Career Services ...................................................................62
            Childcare Assistance Program for Students .........................................62
            Data Services .......................................................................................62
            Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) ............................................62
            Disabled Student Services....................................................................62
            Educational Assessment, Office of ......................................................62
            Educational Outreach (UW Extension) ...............................................62
            Experimental College...........................................................................63
            Financial Aid, Student .........................................................................63
            Foundation for International Understanding through Students (FIUTS) .63
            Graduation and Academic Records .....................................................63
            Hall Health Primary Care Center .........................................................63
            Honors Program ...................................................................................63
            Housing and Food Services .................................................................63
            Instructional Center ..............................................................................64
            Intercollegiate Athletics, Office of Student Services ...........................64
            International Programs and Exchanges ................................................64
            International Services...........................................................................64
            Minority Affairs ...................................................................................64
            New Student Programs ........................................................................64
            Ombudsman’s Office ...........................................................................64
            Registrar, Office of the .......................................................................64
            Registration ..........................................................................................65
            Special Services ...................................................................................65
            Student Affairs, Office of the Vice President for ................................65
            Student Counseling Center ..................................................................65
            Student Fiscal Services ........................................................................65
            Student I.D. Card Center ......................................................................65
            Time Schedule/Room Assignments .....................................................65
            Undergraduate Advising .....................................................................66
            Undergraduate Research Program .......................................................66
            Undergraduate Scholarship Office .......................................................66
            UW Extension (see Educational Outreach)
            Women’s Center ..................................................................................66

Carlson Leadership and Public Service Center
171 Mary Gates Hall 543-2550 Box 352805

•   internship and community-service listings
•   internship and community-service info sessions
•   GEN ST 350, credit-bearing internship program
•   service learning program
•   research, leadership and public-service scholarships
•   Freshman Interest Group (FIG) program
•   Freshman Seminars

Center for Career Services
134 Mary Gates Hall 543-0535 Box 352810
•   individual and group career counseling
•   seminars and workshops on resume writing, interviewing, job-search techniques, etc.
•   resource library
•   WOIS
•   departmental career seminars
•   summer job information
•   on-campus interviews with employers
•   student employment
•   career-related job and internship opportunities
•   graduate and professional school application files, including law, medicine, and dentistry

Childcare Assistance Program for Students
482 Schmitz         543-1041 Box 355831

Data Services
224 Schmitz               543-1098 Box 355850
•   change-of-major forms processed
•   instructor grade report sheets
•   first- and tenth-day class lists
•   requests for additional course entry codes
•   student data reports

Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)
264 Schmitz         626-3483 Box 355850

Disabled Student Services
448 Schmitz       543-8924 Box 355839
                  654-8925 (V/TDD)

• academic support services for qualified students with disabilities, for example sign-language interpreters, books
  onto tape, notetaking, and special examination arrangements
• adaptive equipment and access information
• Access Guide for Persons with Disabilities at
• consulting and staff training in disability awareness
• publications and small library on disability topics
• volunteer opportunities working with and for students with disabilities

Educational Assessment, Office of
453 Schmitz         543-1170 Box 355840
•   math and CHEM 145 placement tests
•   ESL Diagnostic Test, MLT, SPEAK
•   French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish placement tests
•   institutional ACT and SAT
•   registration information for SAT, ACT, LSAT, MCAT, GRE, etc.
•   standardized test administration

Educational Outreach (UW Extension)
5001 25th N.E.                Box 354221
 general inquiries 543-2300
 advising          543-6160
 catalogs          543-2320
Evening Degree Program
Summer Quarter
UW Extension
• Evening Credit Program
• non-credit evening courses
• evening certificate programs
Distance Learning
• correspondence courses, offered through regular mail, e-mail, the Internet, and videos
English Language
King Building            543-6242 Box 354232
4909 25th Ave NE

• day and evening classes in English for non-native speakers; fees not covered by regular tuition
• diagnostic tests
• language labs, tape library, and other services available

Experimental College
307 HUB               543-4375 Box 352238
• non-credit courses on a wide range of subjects, including languages, travel, cooking, sports, health, music, and
  personal finances.

Financial Aid, Student
105 Schmitz         543-6101 Box 355880
• grant, loan, and scholarship applications
• work-study applications
• financial aid counseling
Scholarship Services
172 Schmitz          685-3504 Box 355882
Work Study and Emergency Short-Term Loans
172 Schmitz       685-1282 Box 355882

Foundation for International Understanding through Students (FIUTS)
302B HUB              543-0735 Box 352238
• information and assistance for international students
• friendship families for international students
• weekly activities, informal lunches, and trips

Graduation and Academic Records
264 Schmitz         543-1803 Box 355850
•   grade information and recording
•   grade rules and regulations
•   low and high scholarship and honors information
•   credit-by-examination applications
•   degree applications
•   diplomas
•   unusual situations in grade recording (e.g., permission to convert an incomplete to a grade after the deadline)
•   residency classifications (543-4188)

Hall Health Primary Care Center

East Stevens Circle 685-1011 Box 354410
• outpatient health and medical care for all undergraduate and graduate students and their dependents, alumni/ae,
  faculty, and staff
• services include preventive care, health education, and the diagnosis and treatment of illness or injury

Honors Program
211 Mary Gates Hall 543-7444 Box 352800

Housing and Food Services
301 Schmitz         543-4059 Box 355842
•   residence hall assignments
•   family housing information
•   single-student apartment information
•   Husky Dining Card Program (543-7222)
Instructional Center
1307 N.E. 40th        543-4240 Box 355650
• academic assistance for EOP students, including biology, chemistry, engineering, physics, math, reading,
  writing, and study skills workshops
• tutoring for EOP students
• computer facilities

Intercollegiate Athletics,
Office of Student Services
Tubby Graves Bldg 543-0610,-1 Box 354070
• academic counseling, tutoring, and other academic support services for students competing in intercollegiate
• monitoring of athletes’ eligibility

International Programs and Exchanges
516 Schmitz           543-9272 Box 355815
• counseling and general information on study abroad for students and teaching abroad for faculty
• administration of UW Study Abroad Programs

•   conversion of foreign credits to UW credit upon completion of UW programs and exchanges
•   information on working abroad and internships worldwide
•   information on direct exchanges
•   reference library

International Services
459B Schmitz          543-0841 Box 355832
• counseling and general information for international students, visiting scholars, and foreign faculty
• immigration information, services, and referrals

Minority Affairs
361 Schmitz         543-7132 Box 355845
•   Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) counselors
•   EOP admissions and recruitment
•   entry codes for some EOP courses
•   Student Support Services (685-2583)–counseling and support services for and recruitment of underrepresented
    minority students for graduate and professional schools

New Student Programs
171 Mary Gates Hall 543-4905 Box 352805
• New Student Orientation
• Transfer Interest Group (TRIG) program
For FIGs and Freshman Seminars, see Carlson Office.

Ombudsman’s Office
301 HUB        543-6028 Box 352238
• assistance in the resolution of complaints, problems, and grievances from students, faculty, and staff
• mediation of disputes, when appropriate and mutually agreeable

Registrar, Office of the
209 Schmitz           543-5378 Box 355850
• general administrative information
• hardship withdrawal petitions
• petitions for special consideration for admission of returning students

225 Schmitz              543-4000 Box 355850

•   registration information
•   STAR information
•   registration for audits; change in variable-credit courses; registration for time conflicts
•   disabled student registration and change-of-registration
•   late registration and re-registration
•   withdrawal from the University
•   ACCESS student registration
•   change of college/major forms
•   change of address (543-3868)
•   change of name (not by phone)
•   Returning Student Re-enrollment Applications
•   faculty and staff tuition-exemption registration
•   reinstatement of students cancelled for nonpayment of tuition
•   $20 change-of-registration fee petition
•   $100 enrollment service fee refund petitions
•   $25/$75 late registration petition forms
•   financial hold releases
•   student health insurance claim forms
•   student U-PASS replacements

Special Services
460 Schmitz        543-6122 Box 355835
• veterans’ benefits information and forms
• English as a Second Language progress reporting

Student Affairs,
Office of the Vice President for
476 Schmitz           543-4972 Box 355831
•   discipline records
•   certification of ―good conduct standing‖ for professional school applications, etc.
•   emergency contacts
•   Student Conduct Code
•   Freshman Convocation and Fall Fling

Student Counseling Center
401 Schmitz           543-1240 Box 355830
•   individual, couple, and group psychological counseling
•   career testing and planning
•   ―study-smarter‖ workshops
•   Strong Interest Inventory
•   Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

Student Fiscal Services
Student Accounts and Cashiers
129 Schmitz         543-4695 Box 355870
•   tuition payments
•   late payment fee petition
•   re-registration fee petition
•   student health insurance payments
•   accounting service for student scholarships
•   aid check disbursal information
•   fee payments
•   tuition billing questions

Student Loans and Receivables
530 Schmitz         543-7713 Box 355820
• loan status information (PNDSL, Health Profession/Nursing, Institutional and Direct Stafford/PLUS Loans)
• loan repayment information (including deferments/cancellations)
• sign promissory notes (Loan Signature window, second floor)

Student I.D. Card Center
229 Schmitz         685-4120 Box 355850

Time Schedule/Room Assignments
248 Schmitz         543-1080 Box 355850
• schedule line numbers
• information about time schedule changes
• classroom reservations

260 Schmitz          543-5940 Box 355850
•   order official transcripts of academic record
•   pick up unofficial transcripts (no charge)
•   departments order internal transcripts
•   statements of attendance and/or certification of cumulative GPA for auto insurance, loan deferments, enrollment
•   statements of degree

Undergraduate Advising
171 Mary Gates Hall 543-2550 Box 352805

•   premajor academic advising
•   preprofessional academic advising (prelaw, premed, etc.)
•   How to Choose a Major and a Career sessions
•   WOIS
•   information sessions for new students
•   low-scholarship counseling, reinstatement petitions
•   extended premajor classification
•   W-course petitions
•   Q/SR petitions
•   General Studies
•   New-Adviser Orientation
•   publications for students, including Bachelor’s Degree Planbook and current Areas of Knowledge lists
•   publications for advisers, including Adviser’s Guide, Adviser Information File
•   college and departmental liaisons
•   community college liaisons

Undergraduate Research Program
171 Mary Gates Hall 543-2550 Box 352805
• list of undergraduate research opportunities
• Mary Gates Endowment Grants

Undergraduate Scholarship Office
171 Mary Gates Hall 543-2550 Box 352805
• information on local and national merit-based scholarships, continuously updated and available online
• scholarship workshops

Women’s Center
Cunningham            685-1090 Box 351380
• resource information and referral file, including counseling services, education, employment, legal services,
  professional organizations, and women’s groups
• re-entry program for returning students
• lending and reference library
• workshops
• art exhibits

    Appendix I: The Adviser's Library
Advisers may need to refer to the following resources:

  reference books, leaflets, etc.                              published              source
* University General Catalog                                   biennially             Curriculum Office
* Summer Quarter Bulletin                                      annually               Summer Quarter Office
* UW Evening Degree Program                                    annually               UW Educational Outreach
* UW Extension Catalog                                         annually               UW Educational Outreach
* UW Directory (telephone book)                                anually                Directory Services
* Student Directory                                            annually               Student Publications
  Freshman Application Packet                                  annually               Office of Admissions
  Transfer Admission and Planning                              annually               Office of Admissions
  Postbaccalaureate Admission Packet                           biennially             Office of Admissions
  Undergraduate International Admission Application            annually               Office of Admissions
  Guidelines for Applicants Whose First Language Is            as needed              Office of Admissions
   Not English
  Welcome! (offer of admission packet)                         annually               Office of Admissions
  Advising and Registration Guide for New Students             annually               Registration Office
  Putting College First                                        as needed              Office of Admissions
  Adviser Information File                                     approx. biennially     Undergraduate Advising
  Adviser’s Guide                                              biennially             Undergraduate Advising
  Bachelor’s Degree Planbook                                   annually               Undergraduate Advising
* Areas of Knowledge list                                      as needed              Undergraduate Advising
* Undergraduate Advisers List                                  annually               Undergraduate Advising
* Campus Map                                                   1999                   University Stores
* Student Conduct Code                                         as needed              Office of the Vice President for
                                                                                          Student Affairs
* University Handbook                                          as needed              Faculty Senate

* This information is also available online.

Appendix II: Forms Used in Advising

     form and description                where departments            where students get forms         who signs forms
                                             get forms

Transfer Credit Evaluation           Admissions mails to           Student is mailed a copy of    Admissions specialist
                                     department or                 the initial evaluation
                                     Undergraduate Advising

Adviser’s Worksheet               Data Services                             —                          —
                                  (mailed to departments
                                  each Autumn)

Unofficial Academic Transcript                —                 Transcript Office,                     —
                                                                260 Schmitz

Change of College/School and      Registration Office           Department adviser          Student, department
Major or Minor                    206-543-8580                  or Undergraduate Advising   adviser and, in some
(original plus 1 copy)            regoff@                                                   change-of-colleges, the

Application for Bachelor’s or     Graduation and Academic       Adviser or Graduation and   Adviser
Professional Degree, and          Records, 264 Schmitz          Academic Records,
Diploma Card                      206-543-1803                  264 Schmitz
 (original plus 1 copy, dated     ugradoff@
12/99; white card dated 2/95)

Returning Student Reenrollment    Registration Office           Registration Office                    —
Application (dated 1/95)          206-543-8580                  225 Schmitz
                                  regoff@                       also available online

Department Referral Form                      —                             —               Department adviser and
                                                                                            Admissions specialist

Graduation Petition               Graduation and Academic       Adviser                     Department adviser,
(original plus 3 copies)          Records, 264 Schmitz                                      College and University
(dated 6/96)                      206-543-1803                                              Graduation Committees

General Education                 Undergraduate Advising        Adviser                     Adviser
Requirements for the Bachelor’s   206-543-2550
Degree                            advice@
(original plus 1 copy)

     form and description             where departments          where students get forms       who signs forms
                                          get forms

Reinstatement Petition            Registration Office           Undergraduate Advising      Reinstatement adviser
                                  206-543-8580                                              (Undergraduate Advising
                                  regoff@                                                   or Office of Minority
                                                                                            Affairs, for Arts and
                                                                                            Sciences students)

Veterans:                                                         Special Services                      Department adviser
 Credit Evaluation                                                460 Schmitz
 Request to Allow Repeated
 Extension of Graduation Date

Registration Transaction Form          Registration Office        Registration Office                   Advisers sometimes add
                                       206-543-8580               225 Schmitz                           explanatory notes
                                       regoff@                    or Undergraduate Advising
                                                                  also available online

        $20 registration fee -------------------- 21
        1/2 credits ----------------------- 36,51,53              Bothell-campus admission ----------- 10
        105-credit rule ------------------------- 41              Bothell cross enrollment --------- 23,44
        10th day class lists--------------------- 62
        210-credit rule ------------------------- 41              Calendar, academic ------------------- 25
                                                                  Campus tours -------------------------- 12
        Academic calendar -------------------- 25                 Cancellation ---------------------------- 22
        Academic English Program ------------9                    Career counseling ------------------- 3,39
        Academic probation & incompletes 28                            Carlson Leadership and Public
        Access Guide --------------------------- 62                    Service Center ------------ 62
        ACCESS registration ----------------- 65
        ACT------------------------------------ 8,10              Center for Career Services ------- 40,62
        Admission deficiencies ----------- 11,45                  Change of registration fee ------- 21,22
        Admission to departments ----------- 11                   CHEM 145 placement test ----------- 20
        Admission ------------------------------ 7                Childcare Assistance Program ----- 62
        Advanced math test ------------------- 19                 Community college credits ---------- 36
        Advanced Placement credit ---------- 32                   ―Continuing student‖ defined ------- 20
        advice@ -----------------------------------2              Core Subject Requirements --------- 8,9
        Adviser Education Program -----------4                    Correspondence credit ---------------- 37
        Adviser evaluation ----------------------4                Course Catalog -------------------- 17,26
        Adviser Information File ---------------2                 Course Evaluation Catalog ---------- 26
        Adviser training --------------------------2              Course out of quarter ----------------- 23
        Adviser’s Library ------------------- 67                  Course search -------------------------- 19
        advisers@ ---------------------------------2              CR/NC ------------------------------ 28,30
        Advising offices -------------------------1               Credit limits ---------------------------- 23
        AEP ----------------------------------------4             Credit/No Credit ------------------- 28,30
        AIF ----------------------------------------2             Credits attempted ---------------------- 30
        All Adviser’s Meeting ------------------4                 Credits ----------------------------------- 27
        Annual drop ---------------------------- 21               Cross-campus registration ----------- 23
        AP credit ---------------------------- 32,37              Cross-enrollment ---------------------- 44
        APIEL -------------------------------------9              D postings ------------------------------ 30
        Application to graduate --------------- 51                DARS ------------------------34,47,59,62
        Armed Forces Training School ----- 37                     Data Services -------------------------- 62
        Assoc. of Professional Advisers and Counselors            Declaring a major/minor ------------- 42
             ----------------------------------------4            Deduct (D)------------------------------ 30
        Athletes, special admission ---------- 12                 Deduct-repeat (DR) ------------------- 30
        Athletics, Intercollegiate ---------------1               Deferral, incomplete ------------------ 28

Deficiencies, admission ---------- 11,45              GARS ----------------------------------- 63
Degree applications ------------------- 51            General Education Course Search -- 19
Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)                  General Studies -------------------------- 2
     -------------------------- 34,47,59,62           German placement test --------------- 20
Department admission ---------------- 11              GPA ------------------------------------- 30
Department advisers --------------------2             GPA, major ----------------------------- 47
Developmental advising ----------------3              GPA, transfer -------------------------- 37
Diploma card --------------------------- 53           Grade reports --------------------------- 30
Direct Transfer Agreement ------------8               Grade-point average ------------------ 30
Disabled Student Services ----------- 62              Grade-point average, transfer ------- 37
Distance Learning credit ------------- 37             Grades and Credits ----------------- 27
Dormitories ----------------------------- 63          Graduating Senior Registration Priority
Double majors ----------------- 42,47,55                  ---------------------------------- 20,55
DR postings ---------------------------- 30           Graduation and Academic Records 63
Drop, academic --------------------------2            Graduation applications -------------- 51
DTA ---------------------------------------8          Graduation petitions ------------------ 55
                                                      Graduation --------------------------- 45
Earlier bulletins, graduating under - 47              GSP ---------------------------------- 20,55
Educational Assessment, Office of - 62
Educational Opportunity Program 1,64                  Half credits --------------------- 36,51,53
Educational Outreach ---------------- 62              Hall Health Primary Care Center --- 63
Email lists, adviser ----------------------2          Hardship withdrawal petitions ------ 64
Email lists, department --------------- 44            Hardship withdrawal -------------- 22,29
English as a Second Language --------9                Health Center -------------------------- 63
English Language requirement ---- 9,45                High school core subjects ----------- 8,9
Enrollment Summary ----------------- 18               Honors Program ------------------- 55,63
Entry codes ------------------------- 18,21           Housing and Food Services --------- 63
EOP ------------------------------------ 1,64         How to Choose a Major workshops 39
ESL credits ----------------------------- 30          Husky Card center -------------------- 65
ESL ------------------------------------ 9,45         Husky Dining Card program -------- 63
Ethics --------------------------------------5        HW petitions --------------------------- 64
Evaluation, adviser ----------------------4           HW ---------------------------------- 22,29
Evaluations of courses/instructors -- 26              Hyphenated courses ------------------- 29
Evening Degree Program -------- 11,44
Excessive withdrawal ----------------- 42             IB credit--------------------------------- 37
Experimental College ----------------- 63             ID Card Center ------------------------ 65
Extension credit -------------------- 32,37           Immigrant admission ------------------- 9
Extension, premajor ------------------- 41            Immigration information ------------- 64
                                                      Incompletes ---------------------------- 28
Faculty advisers --------------------------2          Information sessions ------------------ 40
Fall Fling -------------------------------- 65        In-person registration ----------------- 17
Fifth-year admission ------------------ 10            Instructional Center ------------------- 64
FIGs-------------------------------------- 62         Instructor Class Descriptions 17,19,26
Final-year residence ------------------- 46           Intercollegiate Athletics ---------------- 1
Financial Aid, Student ---------------- 63            Intercollegiate Athletics, Office of Student
Fine arts admission requirement ------8                    Services---------------------------- 64
FIUTS ----------------------------------- 63          Intermediate algebra test ------------- 19
Foreign language admission req ------8                International admission ---------------- 9
Foreign language placement tests--- 20                International Baccalaureate credit -- 37
Foreign study --------------------------- 64          Internat’l Programs and Exchanges 64
Former students -------------------- 10,24            International Services----------------- 64
Forms Used in Advising ----------- 69                 Internships ------------------------------ 62
Foundation for International Under-standing           Italian placement test ----------------- 20
     through Students ---------------- 63
French placement test ----------------- 20            Japanese placement test -------------- 20
Freshman admission --------------------8
Freshman Convocation --------------- 65               Korean placement test ---------------- 20
Freshman Seminars ------------------- 62
                                                      Late add period ------------------------ 21

Late drop period ----------------------- 21           Probation and incompletes ----------- 28
Late registration ----------------------- 23          Probation, academic -------------------- 2
Loan information ---------------------- 65            Professional evaluation ----------------- 4
Low scholarship -------------------------2            Prospective students -------------------- 2

Major, declaring ----------------------- 42           Q/SR test -------------------------------- 19
Majors and careers ----------------------3            Q/SR ------------------------------------- 36
Mary Gates Grants -------------------- 66             Quarter out ----------------------------- 24
MATH 098 ------------------------- 30,36
Math placement tests------------------ 19             R postings ------------------------------ 30
Math sequences ------------------------ 19            Re-enrollment -------------------------- 24
Michigan Test ----------------------------9           Refugee admission ---------------------- 9
Minor, declaring ----------------------- 42           Refunds --------------------------------- 24
Minority Affairs --------------------- 1,64           Registrar, Office of the -------------- 64
Minors ----------------------------------- 53         Registration fee ------------------------ 21
MTELP ------------------------------------9           Registration in-person ---------------- 17
Myers-Briggs --------------------------- 65           Registration periods------------------- 20
MyUW ------------------------------ 16,38             Registration restrictions -------------- 23

                                                      Registration                   15
NAO ------------------------------------ 2,4          Registration Office -------------------- 65
Nat’l Assoc. of Academic Advisers --4                 Reinstatement ---------------------------- 2
New Adviser Orientation------------ 2,4               Repeat (R) ------------------------------ 30
New Student Programs --------------- 64               Repeating courses --------------------- 29
Next Step ----------------------------------2         Reports, grade-------------------------- 30
Nonmatriculated admission ---------- 10               Reregistration -------------------------- 23
Nonmatriculated credit --------------- 37             Residence credit ------------------- 37,46
NS -------------------------------------- 27          Residence halls ------------------------ 63
Numerical grades ---------------------- 27            Restrictions, registration ------------- 23
                                                      Returning former students ------- 10,24
Office of Minority Affairs --------- 1,64             ROTC credits -------------------------- 30
Official transcripts--------------------- 38          Running Start ---------------------------- 9
Ombudsman’s Office ----------------- 64               S/NS --------------------------------- 27,30
Option B ----------------------------------8          SAT ------------------------------------ 8,10
Ordering a transcript ------------------ 38           Satisfactory progress------------------ 41
Out of quarter -------------------------- 23          Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory ---- 27,30
Overloads ------------------------------- 23          Schedule Finder ----------------------- 17
                                                      Scholarship Services ------------------ 63
Pass/fail --------------------------------- 27        SDB---------------------------------------- 4
Pathways, major ----------------------- 42            Semester credits --------------- 36,51,53
Peer advisers -----------------------------1          Senior-year residence ----------------- 46
Period 1 --------------------------------- 20         Spanish placement tests -------------- 20
Periods 2,3 ------------------------------ 21         Special admissions -------------------- 11
Petitions --------------------------------- 64        Special Services ----------------------- 65
Petitions, graduation ------------------ 55           SRF100 --------------------------------- 25
Placement tests --------------------- 19,26           SRF104 --------------------------------- 25
Plan-a-Transfer Day ------------------ 12             SRF120 --------------------------------- 25
Postbaccalaureate                                     SRF130 --------------------------------- 25
     admission -------------------------- 10          SRF203 --------------------------------- 24
     graduation application----------- 51             SRF204 --------------------------------- 24
     satisfactory progress ------------- 41           SRF206 --------------------------------- 25
Postponing graduation ---------------- 55             SRF236 --------------------------------- 25
Precalculus test ------------------------ 19          SRF301 --------------------------------- 38
Premajor extensions ------------------- 41            SRF310 --------------------------------- 38
Premajors ---------------------------------2          SRF317 --------------------------------- 38
Preprofessional students ----------------2            SRF320 --------------------------------- 38
Prerequisite checking ----------------- 22            SRF325 --------------------------------- 38

SRF330 ---------------------------------- 38
SRF335 ---------------------------------- 59             Varsity sports admission ------------- 12
SRF340 ---------------------------------- 59             Vocational credit ---------------------- 37
SRF390 ---------------------------------- 59
SRF500 ---------------------------------- 13             W transfer courses -------------------- 36
SRF505 ---------------------------------- 13             WACAS --------------------------------- 14
SRF506 ---------------------------------- 13             Waivers --------------------------------- 55
SRF507 ---------------------------------- 13             Web registration ------------------- 16,26
SRF508 ---------------------------------- 13             Withdrawal ------------------------- 24,29
SRF536 ---------------------------------- 13             Withdrawal, excessive ---------------- 42
STAR ------------------------------------ 17             WOIS ------------------------------------ 62
Strong Interest Inventory ------------- 65               Women’s Center----------------------- 66
Student Accounts and Cashiers ----- 65                   Work Study----------------------------- 63
Student Affairs, Office of the Vice President for        Workshops, choosing a major ------- 44
     -------------------------------------- 65
Student Conduct Code ---------------- 65                 X credit --------------------------------- 34
Student Counseling Center ------ 40,65                   X grades -------------------------------- 29
Student course evaluations ----------- 26
Student Data Base -----------------------4
Student Fiscal Services --------------- 65
Student I.D. Card Center ------------- 65
Student Loans and Receivables ----- 65
Student Telephone Activated Registration 17
Study abroad --------------------------- 64
Summer Quarter ----------------------- 62
Support Services -------------------- 61

Tacoma campus admission ---------- 10
Tacoma cross enrollment --------- 23,44
Telephone registration ---------------- 17
Tenth-day class lists------------------- 62
Test of English as a Foreign Language 9
Time out (enrollment) ---------------- 24
Time schedule ---------------------- 17,25
Time Schedule/Room Assignments 65
TOEFL ------------------------------------9
Tours------------------------------------- 12
Training, adviser -------------------------2
Transcripts ------------------------------ 66
Transcripts, ordering an official ---- 38
Transcripts, UW ----------------------- 31
Transfer admission ----------------------8
Transfer Associate Degree Agreement 36
Transfer by Major --------------------- 12
Transfer credit evaluation -------- 12,34
Transfer credits ------------------------ 32
Transfer GPA -------------------------- 37
Transfer students ------------------------2
Transfer Thursday -----------------------2
TRIGs ----------------------------------- 64
Tuition refunds ------------------------- 24

Undergraduate Advising Office -- 2,66
Undergraduate Advising ----------- 1
Undergraduate Research Program -- 66
Undergraduate Scholarship Office - 66
Unrestricted drop period ------------- 21
UW Extension--see Educational Outreach
UW Extension credit ------------------ 37


To top