What can I do with a degree in CHILD AND FAMILY STUDIES

Document Sample
What can I do with a degree in CHILD AND FAMILY STUDIES Powered By Docstoc
					What can I do with a degree in CHILD AND FAMILY STUDIES?
             Areas of Practice                      Employers                                                Strategies
PRE-SCHOOL/DAY CARE                 •   Religious organizations                         Develop physical stamina for working with children.
    • Teaching                      •   Montessori schools                              Acquire appropriate certification or licensure for day
    • Administration                •   Private, public, franchise, and corporate day   care and public school teaching.
                                        care centers                                    Obtain experience working with children through
                                    •   Private homes                                   volunteering or part-time jobs.
                                    •   Family day care                                 Demonstrate patience with children and the ability to
                                    •   Extended school programs                        work well with people of various backgrounds.
                                    •   Preschools                                      Develop strong communications skills to deal
                                    •   Head Start programs                             effectively with parents.
COMMUNITY SERVICES                  •   Community centers                               Seek related work experience, particularly summer
   • Administration                 •   YMCA or YWCA                                    camps or special needs areas.
   • Development                    •   Consumer protection agencies                    Learn to work well with all types of people through
   • Programming                    •   Summer camp programs                            volunteer or paid positions.
   • Research                       •   Adult day care providers                        Obtain Child Life Certification for some areas.
   • Evaluation                     •   Hospitals                                       Develop strong presentation and public speaking skills.
                                    •   Rehabilitation organizations                    Be willing to wear multiple hats within an organization.
                                    •   Religious organizations                         Learn how to write grants.
                                    •   Adoption agencies                               Develop research and writing skills.
SOCIAL SERVICES                     •   Profit and nonprofit organizations focused on   Supplement curriculum with courses in social work,
   • Case Management                    children, youth, families, or senior citizens   sociology, or psychology.
   • Counseling                     •   Adult and child day care providers              Obtain a master's degree and appropriate licensure in
   • Administration                 •   Group homes                                     mental health counseling, social work, or rehabilitation
                                    •   Half-way houses                                 counseling to provide therapy.
                                    •   Youth services agencies                         Earn a graduate degree to obtain most administrative
                                    •   Senior citizens' programs                       positions.
                                    •   Foundations and funding organizations           Gain experience through volunteer positions or
EDUCATION                           •   Public and private schools (K-12)               Acquire appropriate certification for public school
   • Teaching                       •   Public preschool programs (e.g., Head Start)    teaching.
   • Early Childhood Education      •   Private preschool programs                      Obtain Ph.D. for college and university teaching and
   • Home Economics                 •   Montessori schools                              research opportunities.
   • Family and Consumer Sciences   •   Adult education programs                        Acquire certification for day care and parent-child
   • Curriculum Development         •   Colleges and universities                       education.
   • Research                       •   Programs servicing children and adults with     Obtain graduate degree for counseling, student affairs,
   • Counseling                         special needs                                   and administrative positions.
   • Administration                                                                     Find part-time or summer jobs working with children.
   • College Student Affairs                                                            Serve as a tutor, peer mentor, resident assistant or
                                                                                        student advisor.
   • Parent-Child Education
MEDICAL                             •   Hospitals                                       Earn a master's degree in Social Work, Counseling, or
    •   Child Care Programs                                   •    Healthcare facilities                                    related areas for the most opportunities.
    •   Education                                             •    Health and wellness agencies                             Obtain experience in advocacy.
                                                              •    Hospices                                                 Acquire licensing or certification for some areas.
                                                                                                                            Volunteer in a healthcare setting.
BUSINESS                                                      •    Manufacturing companies of children's                    Minor in business; develop skills in areas such as
   • Management                                                    clothes, toys, furniture, and food                       management, marketing or sales.
   • Sales                                                    •    Department and retail stores                             Secure leadership positions on campus.
   • Customer Service                                         •    Service organizations                                    Get related experience through internships or part-
                                                                                                                            time jobs.
                                                                                                                            Build computer skills in word processing, database
                                                                                                                            management, and spreadsheet programs.
COMMUNICATIONS                                                     Organizations geared toward children and                 Minor or double major in a communications field.
   • Journalism                                                    family including:                                        Develop excellent communication skills, both written
   • Public Relations                                         •    Book publishers                                          and verbal.
   • Writing                                                  •    Professional associations                                Submit articles or books for publication.
   • Editing                                                  •    Radio and TV stations                                    Work for campus publications or radio stations.
   • Research                                                 •    Nonprofit organizations                                  Complete internships with related organizations.
                                                              •    Manufacturers
                                                              •    Newspapers, Magazines
GOVERNMENT                                                    •    Federal, state and local government agencies             Take additional courses in area of interest.
   • Social Services                                               (e.g., Departments of Health, Education and              Develop strong presentation and public speaking skills.
   • Rehabilitation                                                Welfare, Criminal Justice Departments,                   Obtain specialized training for opportunities in
   • Program Coordination                                          Sanitation, Fire/Safety, Nutrition, and                  protective services or law enforcement.
   • Research                                                      Cooperative Extension)                                   Complete an internship with a government
   • Program Evaluation                                       •    Vocational rehabilitation                                organization.
   • Legislation                                              •    Mental health agencies                                   Learn federal, state, and local job application
   • Advocacy                                                 •    Military child care programs                             procedures.
                                                              •    Overseas child care and education programs
                                                              •    Health and wellness agencies
                                                              •    Women's protective agencies
• Bachelor's degree is sufficient for entry-level positions.
• Advanced degrees are essential for clinical and therapeutic counseling positions.
• Master's degree or Ph.D. is often needed for administrative and supervisory positions.
• Ph.D. is required for college teaching and advanced research positions.
• Additional or specialized training qualifies one for higher paying and positions of greater responsibility.
• Obtain part-time, summer, internship, or volunteer experience in child care, schools, hospitals, camps, or overseas programs or in advocacy or service-oriented programs
dealing with alcoholism, drug abuse, family violence, aging, poor, or disabled populations.
• Obtain certification in CPR, safety, and first aid for adults, children, and infants.
• Develop interest and gain experience in computers, arts, crafts, music, or physical activity.
• Obtain certification for specialized areas including Child Life Specialist or Child Advocacy.
                                                                     UNO Counseling and Career Center
                                                               Counseling Services – HPC 112 – 504.280.6683 – counserv.uno.edu
                                                               Career Services – HPC 208 – 504.280.6225 – www.career.uno.edu
                                                                                   Division of Student Affairs