Department of Materials
Joint Consultative Committee for
Postdoctoral Researchers (JCCP) meeting
Draft minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 2nd October 2007 at 1.00 pm in the
Wolfson Meeting Room.
Chair: Dr Sergio Lozano-Perez
Secretary: Dr Rebecca Nicholls
1. Welcome and Introductions
Present at the meeting:
Marina Galano, Sergio Lozano-Perez, John Murphy, Grigore Moldovan, Rebecca
Nicholls, Kerstin Jurkschat, Mustafizur Rahman, Konstantin Borishenko, Neil Young
2. Coffee on Tuesdays
MG – Had a good experience with the coffee/lunch arrangements at another
university. There was a particular place where people would just pop in, even for 10
minutes. Having a place to meet is very important.
GM, SLP – There is a problem of space in the department, and with the common
room it is unlikely that anywhere else would be set aside.
Coffee on Tuesdays is thought to be unlikely to work without reminders, especially as
it’s still only just getting going. So far there have been between 2 and 10 people at
the coffees. The coffees will start again next week and then be every other week
through out term (ie weeks 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9). They will continue to take place on
Tuesdays at 11am.
Note: the common room is now open outside of Aramark opening hours, but you
need to get your swipe card activated
Some people are not sure that 11am is the best time to have a break during the day.
It is suggested that on the weeks when there isn’t coffee in the common room, people
could go to the Physics coffee room at 4pm to see if it suits people better. The coffee
in the materials common room will be free (kindly supplied by the department), the
coffee in Physics won’t be!! (Note: to get into Physics you now have to enter through
the front door)
The possibility of having a notice board, perhaps an internet one, was mentioned.
3. Postdoc Handbook
SLP explains the general idea of the website based handbook.
It is thought that it could be set up in a wiki format with only certain people able to edit
it. It would be viewable by the general public so that people would be able to look at it
before they arrive in Oxford.
GM will aim to talk to Paul Warren about setting up the website by 16th October.
Possible content is discussed, and several people agree to begin writing sections:
Fellowship applications JM
College affiliations (including benefits) RN
Teaching (including information on Tax returns KB (with help on Tax returns
and a list of people willing to teach) from GM)
Useful information if you’re arriving with children KJ
Deadline for getting something together – 2/3 week.
Action: SLP, JM, RN, KB, KJ
GM will then advise on how to put it into the Handbook.
Brief discussion on Tax Returns:
GM and SLP explain that previously the tax from teaching was deducted from the
pay by the employer. Recently this has been stopped and tutors were advised to
register as self-employed. This is not necessary, but you will still need to fill in a
Tax relief was mentioned.
KJ – sometimes it’s useful to check your tax codes anyway.
It was also mentioned that these issues are covered in the workshops run in the
Materials Department on Maths Classes, Tutorials and Options Papers.
4. Approval of the minutes from the last meeting
The group approved the minutes of the previous meeting held on the 17th July 2007.
5. Other social events
It is suggested that it might be a good idea to have an organised social event at the
beginning of each term. It would be an informal gathering, especially for the people
new to the Department to meet other postdocs.
It is decided that this term a pub lunch will be tried on Thursday 4th October at
1:30/2:00 (meet outside the common room). KJ will find out about pubs serving food
at that time, and an email will be sent out.
The possibility of going to lunch in one of the Colleges is raised. MR – it would be
nice for new people or people unconnected to a College to be able to go and
experience lunch in a College. This could be quite a small group of people.
7. Other Business
GM – Received an IOP email from RCUK which might be interesting to others. There
is a document about career management for researchers and the responsibilities of
Universities. It is undergoing a consultation period at the moment. If you’re
interested, then you should go an have a read of it. It is thought that it might be useful
to put information like this onto the website (perhaps on the noticeboard!).
The next meeting is to be on Tuesday 15th January (1st week of Easter term) at 1pm.
The meeting was closed.