Docstoc

Exec committee

Document Sample
Exec committee Powered By Docstoc
					ACRL-DLS Executive Committee Meeting
ALA Annual Meeting 2005
Sunday, June 27, 2005
3:30pm – 5:30pm
Palmer House Hilton, Chicago, IL

Present
Stephen Dew, Chair
Jack Fritts, Vice-Chair
Kathe Conley, Past-Chair
Beth Reiten, Secretary
Sherrill Weaver, Archivist, Conference Program Planning 2006 Committee Chair
Tom Abbott, Awards Committee Chair
Margaret Casado, Communications Committee Outgoing Chair, Newsletter Editor
Allyson Washburn, Communications Committee Incoming Chair
Frank Cervone, Conference Program Planning 2005 Committee Chair
Claudia Shorr, Discussion Group Chair
Rob Morrison, Guidelines Committee Chair
Michele Behr, Instruction Committee Chair
Anne Campion Riley, Membership Committee Chair
Johanna Tuñón, Research Committee Chair, Incoming Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect
Anne Marie Casey, Social Events Planning Chair
Richard Bradberry, Statistics Committee Outgoing Chair
Stephan J. Macaluso, Statistics Committee Incoming Co-Chair
John Brandt, Statistics Committee Incoming Co-Chair
Julie Garrison, Web Committee Chair
Harvey Gover, Guest
Mary Jane Petrowski, Guest, ACRL
Bede Mitchell, Guest, ACRL Board of Directors

Welcome and Introductions
Dew brought the meeting to order at 3:35pm.

Started by going around the table and having everyone introduce themselves.

Additions/Corrections to the Agenda
Weaver requested a discussion of the archives policy.

Approval of Minutes
Casado moved to accept the Midwinter 2005 minutes. Tuñón seconded the motion. All
voted to approve. Midwinter 2005 minutes approved.

Chair’s Report
Dew reported on the ACRL strategic plan. The Executive Board has requested a brief
environmental scan from each section. It’s due to them on August 15. Dew will send all
of the relevant documents he received to the DLS-L listserv for everyone to review and
provide input. He will use that input and the minutes, etc. to fill out the forms he needs to
turn in, and will send the forms to DLS-L for additions corrections, etc. during July and
early August.

ACRL Board Liaison Report
Mitchell had three items he was going to discuss: the Executive Board’s focus on the
environmental scan, strategic action plans, and some funding options we will be able to
apply for. The environmental scan is a comprehensive look at trends and things affecting
higher education and librarianship. The documents have been used by ACRL board for
planning, but haven’t really been shared out to the sections, etc. They’re now trying to
set up a rolling environmental scan every year, which allows for membership to have
input. This will be an online form that each section chair needs to fill out for formal
submission on behalf of the section. They will use this to start to get regular feedback
and input on issues from the membership. This should become part of their standard
operating procedures soon, and hopefully we can incorporate the scan in our planning
process in the future. There’s a short turn-around this year due to them starting the
process later; the forms are due at the end of the fiscal year. The board is asking each
section to please react to the existing environmental scan and use that as our starting
document. They’d like our help in identifying trends that aren’t important anymore, ones
that we feel are still important, items we disagree with, and things that we feel needs to
be added. There are five categories of information on the scan; these categories weren’t
predetermined, rather, they emerged after the initial data was gathered.

The next thing Mitchell discussed was the restructuring of ACRL committees.
The goal is to get the ACRL board out of the role of directing and responding to the day-
to-day operations of organization. There are currently approximately 24 committees and
they all report to the ACRL board. This is a strain on the organization. The board is
trying to be more of a “big picture” long-term strategic board, not a daily management
group. They’re going to group the committees by function similarity, and put each group
under a coordinating committee. Then the boards of the coordinating committees will
report to the executive board. The hope is that bringing committees with similar
functions together under the coordinating committees will help the committees work
together more smoothly. The goal is to remove the executive board from micromanaging
the organization. Abbott asked if the coordinating committees would have approval
authority. Mitchell indicated that they would in operational things, but taking a stand on
something, for example, has to still go to the executive board.

Each year, sections will have an opportunity to submit to the executive board a Strategic
Action Plan form. This is our opportunity to communicate to the board any activities
we’re dong that relate to the objectives in the ACRL Strategic Plan. The form increases
communication with the board and also gives sections the opportunity to propose things
to the board as well as request funding. They will budget an amount each fiscal year for
new strategic action initiatives. It is $50K for this year, and the amount will be higher in
the future, hopefully. ALA’s fiscal year is September 1 to August 31, hence the short
application deadline this year. When it becomes routine, the executive board will be able
to set the budget at Annual and we’ll know in July if we get any extra money. We’ll get
our usual operating budget, but we can apply for this extra money. Any proposed
strategic initiative plans for FY2006 must be submitted by August 15, 2005. The
recipients of the FY2006 money will find out in November 2005. The deadline for
FY2007 will be in September 2005; this will be the normal schedule in the future. Funds
can’t roll over from fiscal year to fiscal year, but if you have something that can’t be
finished in a single year, indicate all of the steps when you apply and the money you’re
requesting for each step/year. If they approve your first step, you’ll likely get the funding
for your continuation years. If you do each piece separately, however, you may not get
the funding each time.

On Saturday, the ACRL Executive Board approved funding for an ACRL virtual
conference to be held in April 2006 using the Learning Times software. A conference
planning committee will be put together, and paper submissions will be requested. The
submission deadline will be in November, with the accepted papers announced in
January. It will be effectively a full conference, but it will happen virtually in a two day
span.

Resolution for Nancy Burich
Since it was done via the listserv, we must reaffirm the resolution thanking Nancy Burich
for her service to the section as the newsletter editor. A quick vote reaffirmed the
resolution unanimously.

Archives Policy
Weaver indicated that a final decision needs to be made on the archives policy. She
made a motion to accept the archives policy. Tuñón seconded. Fritts asked if there is
any discussion needed. Casey pointed out that we’ve discussed the policy in the last
several meetings and that it’s most likely time to vote on it. The Archives Policy is
accepted unanimously. Weaver asked everyone to review the policy to ensure they
understand their responsibilities for submission. For example, more things relating to the
social life of the section would be great to have in the archives. Casey reminded the
board of the grid of documents that Johanna created a year or so ago that showed missing
items. On August 1, Weaver will send out what she still needs after everyone sends their
stuff in during July.

Library Services for Distance Learning: The Fourth Bibliography
Sandy Slade is discontinuing his participation in the section as well as with the
bibliography, and has asked the section if we want to take it over. Dew gives a brief
history of the bibliography for those who aren’t familiar with it. The initial offer had
been discussed a bit over the listserv, but it was never decided if it should be taken over
by an existing committee or a new committee. It will need to move to a new web server
as well. Behr asked if we should consider including the Instruction Committee’s
materials within the bibliography. Another suggestion was to split responsibility for the
bibliography between a number of existing committees. Fritts proposed a new
committee, possibly including a member of each of the other relevant committees. Fritts
moved to create a new committee to maintain, continue, and expand the bibliography.
Casado seconded. Casey suggested the position of editor – a single person who continues
over time like the newsletter editor, to help maintain the institutional memory – to be
attached to the bibliography committee. There were some questions about the process of
creating a new committee. If we vote to create a committee, we “charge” the committee.
Once we have written the charge, the committee is created. We need to get the charge
written and to Petrowski before the deadline for the next ALA Handbook of Organization,
which is July 8. It would be lovely to have some members in place, but the name and
charge are most important. Someone suggested the name, “Bibliography Committee.”
Reiten moved to charge the committee, Casado seconded. The creation of the committee
was approved by unanimous vote. Deciding whether we need the position of editor will
happen as we work on charge over the listserv. Morrison suggested the section should
recognize Sandy Slade for his work. Perhaps the Bibliography Committee should come
forward at Midwinter with a resolution recognizing his work supporting this section.

Committee Reports

Awards
Abbott reported that everything went well with this year’s awards and ceremony; Martha
Kreszock was thrilled. One concern he has, however, is the lack of nominations. We
need to figure out how to get the word out to the folks who are actually doing the work.
He will start a brainstorming discussion on the DLS-L listserv. There was some
discussion during the All-Committee meeting this morning that we move the award
ceremony to Monday morning at Annual as part of the Discussion Group/membership
meeting/breakfast. Anne Marie explained that the Social Events Planning committee has
had problems finding a place and/or time for a section social at Annual, and that’s where
the idea came from. There was agreement that it sounded like a good idea, so Abbott’s
going to go ahead with the change.

Communications
Casado asked for newsletter submissions for the fall edition to be sent to her by
September 1st. They’ll include information about the bibliography committee formation
in the fall newsletter. Washburn and Casado discussed the idea of the Communications
committee creating a business card-sized section information card to make it easier for
members to hand out to other folks. They don’t want to impinge upon Membership’s
area of responsibility; they’re thinking of the cards as more of a communication tool,
rather than the brochure which is clearly a membership draw. Riley of Membership
thought it sounded like a good idea to have both, but wondered about the question of
marketing and where it really belongs. Weaver also brought up the question of branding.
Casado will send ideas to Fritts and Reiten.

Casado and Washburn also would like to make three minor changes to their charge. The
current charge reads:

       The Communications Committee Charge is to coordinate section communications,
       marketing, and publishing activities; to develop and issue a section newsletter and
       brochure; to coordinate efforts with the Web, Membership, and Liaison Committees; to
       provide a formal communication channel with section members, appropriate ALA
       divisions, ACRL units and outside agencies; to make regular submissions to C&RL News
       and other appropriate publications.

They want to:
    Change “to provide a formal communication channel” to “to act as a
      communication channel”.
    Strike “regular” from the C&RL News clause.
    Add “and inform membership of possible publication venues.” at the end of the
      charge.

With these changes, the new charge will read:

       The Communications Committee Charge is to coordinate section communications,
       marketing, and publishing activities; to develop and issue a section newsletter and
       brochure; to coordinate efforts with the Web, Membership, and Liaison Committees; to
       act as a communication channel with section members, appropriate ALA divisions,
       ACRL units and outside agencies; to make submissions to C&RL News and other
       appropriate publications, and inform membership of possible publication venues.

To be able to “inform membership of possible publication venues,” the Communications
committee will put together a master list of the journals that will publish distance learning
and provide it to the membership.
Abbott moved that we approve the charge change. Approved.

Another thing they discussed was the possibility of setting up a blog. Washburn
suggested to the Web committee that a place where folks could submit ideas and
discussions that the public could see could be useful. Garrison indicated that we can’t
host a blog on our server because we’d have to install new software, but we can link to
any of the freely available blog sites. They will discuss further.

Casado also mentioned that she’s going to be soliciting book and article reviews to
publish in the newsletter.

Conference Program Planning 2005
Cervone reported on the DLS program that took place on Saturday. The maximum
number of attendees was 95, with 48 program evaluations returned. This was the first
year we used the ACRL standardized program evaluation form. Out of a four point
scale, the average responses for “enjoyed” was 3, and for “applicable” it was 2.8. People
weren’t happy about the presenters reading their presentations. The issue of lighting
came up several times. The most common ways they heard about the program were on
the OffCAMP listserv and in the conference program guide. The ACRL main office
keeps historical numbers for all programs, and in the past, we typically had attendance
numbers between 100 – 150. We’ve been requesting larger rooms than that, but with the
drastic increase in numbers of programs in the recent past, maybe we don’t need to
anymore.

Conference Program Planning 2006
Weaver mentioned that she thinks moving the awards ceremony to the Monday morning
discussion group/business meeting will be helpful for the program. They’ve asked for the
Saturday 1:30 – 5:00pm slot, but since there are so many conflicts, they’re talking about
moving to 3:30-5:00 or 3:00 to 4:30. The program title is “Confronting The Textbook
Pricing Crisis: Advocates And Alternatives For Distance Learners.” This follows along
with the ACRL president’s focus on advocacy. This topic allows us to put our unique
spin on it but still hopefully pull audience from other organizations. This isn’t being seen
as a dialog between librarians and publishers, but instead verifying what our students are
seeing. What can we do to offer alternatives to our faculty for the individual book price?
They’re trying to contact the financial aid officers group since the financial aid office and
the library are the two main contacts our students are likely to have during their studies.
A couple of folks expressed concerns about the title not reflecting the content. The
committee will take it to the OffCAMP listserv to get help creating a good title to draw
attendees in.

Discussion Group
Shorr reminded everyone that the Discussion Group and 15th anniversary celebration will
be Monday morning from 8:30am – 12:00pm at National Louis University. The
Discussion Group part of the morning will probably start around 10:30am. They are
intending to have part of the morning’s session focused on Saturday’s program. In
addition, they do have a couple of other topics lined up in case the program doesn’t take
the whole thing. C&RL News has contacted Shorr for the program write-up. Casado
indicated that she has the write-up and will get it to them.

Electronic Resources
Not here. No report.

Guidelines
Morrison reported that there was a good discussion on Saturday. One big question that
everyone has is how to publicize the input they’ve been getting? He’d like to put it on a
blog linked to the Guidelines webpages. That way there’s the ability for public comment.
The next time, the committee would like to sit down and have a working session, rather
than just a hearing. They’d like to set it up as a workshop where people can look at the
document and actually brainstorm and wordsmith on it. Morrison indicated that they’re
ready to contact different organizations (accrediting, etc) to alert them that the guidelines
are out and we’d like their feedback, etc.

Instruction
Behr reported that they’re still working on the SPEC kit – they’ve got the proofs back
that they’re finalizing – and it should be out in August. It’ll be SPEC Kit #286. There is
an annotated bibliography in it, which is a first for the SPEC Kit series. In addition,
they’re putting together a bibliography of best practices for distance library instruction.
They’re also putting together a page of web-based information, MERLOT, etc. A
presented paper proposal on the SPEC Kit and the survey results tied to the Kit has been
accepted for the Off-Campus Library Services Conference. As a follow-up to the SPEC
Kit, they’d like to repeat the survey with a different population; picking 6-8 institutions
that have more well-developed programs and doing a detailed analysis of these
institutions. Riley suggested looking at junior and community colleges. Behr indicated
that they were considering them.

Liaison
Judy Dye wasn’t able to attend the Executive Board meeting. Before Annual, the
committee reviewed the preliminary meeting schedule and created a list of the programs
most likely to be relevant to the DLS membership. This list was distributed via the
OffCAMP listserv.

Membership
Riley reported that the Learning Partners program is their biggest focus currently. This
morning, the committee discussed sending welcome letters to new members in the hopes
that it might aid in retention. They also discussed contacting SLIS students, especially
those taking classes as distance students, thinking perhaps that there could be an affinity
to the section that could be nurtured. Riley asked where they could get a list of section
members to work with. They’d love to get it with those who haven’t renewed, and with
date of joining. Dew thought Petrowski was the logical person to get that from. Riley
indicated that the monthly reports haven’t been getting to her. Dew will send them to
her. The committee talked about revising the brochure; in addition, they’d like it on the
website as a printable PDF. Fritts mentioned that he had just passed along a mandatory
template for section brochures. At Annual 2006 we can order the print of the new
brochures.

Nominations
Dew reported for Maryhelen Jones from a written report.
“The section invited a total of 9 individuals to consider running for the various offices in
the section. Of these, 5 accepted the invitations to run. They are as follows:
        Vice Chair/Chair Elect:
        Sherrill Weaver
        Johanna Tuñón

       Secretary/Archivist:
       Page Brannon (uncontested)

       Member-at-Large:
       David Bickford
       Anne Haynes
The section had a good turnout through the ALA-managed electronic voting system. The
successful candidates – Johanna Tuñón, Page Brannon, and Anne Haynes – were
announced in early May.

The Committee on behalf of the section wishes to thank all of the candidates for their
commitment to supporting leadership efforts in the section.”

Research
Tuñón reported on the mentor/mentee program. This was the program where the
Research Committee matched up people interested in learning how to begin publication
and conference presentation with more experienced members. We have fewer than a
dozen mentors, but 2 more mentors than mentees. When the committee followed up with
the mentees, those who replied were positive about the program. A couple of mentors
indicated that there was an initial contact with their mentee, but then there was no more
communication. The committee wants to create form to make submission easier along
with sending out a reminder to the OffCAMP listserv every 6 months or so. Tuñón
reported that after some consultation with the Web Committee, two older forms found on
the website that were pulled down. Tuñón will be stepping down as research chair due to
her election as vice-chair/chair elect. Lesley Moyo will take the Research Committee
Chair. During the committee meetings, the Research Committee discussed possible ideas
for projects. One topic that came up is that new librarians often find it difficult to get
funding to come to ALA. If they’re doing a poster session, they might be able to get
more funds. In addition, there are new librarians who are interested in publishing their
research findings, but they’re not sure how. They’re thinking about a program, maybe,
on how to get research published, and perhaps have a few poster sessions for the second
half. They’re looking for people interested in next year’s program.

Social Events Planning
Casey reminded everyone that the Social and 15th Anniversary Celebration is Monday
from 8:30am-12:00pm at National Louis University. There will be two chunks of
networking time along with the programmed events. She discussed the tentative plans for
San Antonio. The committee is thinking that the Midwinter social should have a
“formal” contract with a vendor for the 5:30 – 7:00pm Saturday time like we’ve done
previously. For Annual conferences, the social will be Mondays.

Statistics
Bradberry expressed his pleasure at serving the section and will be back with us in 2008.
He introduced the two new co-chairs, Stephan J. Macaluso and John Brandt. He also
wanted to Laura Ramirez for all of the work she’s done on the DLS membership survey.
We are in the middle of the section membership survey. They’ve received responses
from 259 of 1174 members. Macaluso asked if the Web Committee could post the link to
the survey for another week or so. Reiten said she would do it when she returned to work
if they’ll send her the URL. The committee will summarize their results and get a report
ready for the newsletter. Dew asked what they were planning on doing with the results
after that. He mentioned that the Journal of Library & Information Services in
Distance Learning is always looking for papers. Casey gave bit of history on the survey
project for those who weren’t on the Executive Board when it was originally brought up.
Bradberry added that 60-70% of the respondents haven’t served on committees, raising
hopes of a new batch of leadership candidates.

Strategic Planning
The Strategic Planning Committee didn’t meet during the All-Committee Meeting. Fritts
asked everyone to make sure they filled out their committee forms and return them to
him. He reminded Dew that the committee could get involved with the ACRL strategic
plan / environmental scan if he wants them to.

Web
Garrison requested that we reverse the order of reports next time – Web always goes last!
She thanked everyone who has sent content to the committee for the site. Garrison
reported that the site is very close to being completely pulled into the new structure. The
site is as current as the committee has content; if it isn’t on the site, we don’t have it and
we’d appreciate it if you would send it to us. Reiten is going off committee, but the Web
Committee would like to make her an ex-officio for the time being. Fritts will take care
of this. Reiten brought up the use of the web logo on the print Guidelines. She will post
the various logo files so folks can get them. Casado and Gover requested that “section”
be included in the logo. Reiten will attempt to rework it. Garrison reported that the
committee didn’t look into moving the site, since no one had the time to do so. In
addition, a suggestion from the guidelines hearing was that we create a “best practices of
distance learning/applying the guidelines.” It was uncertain which committee that would
fall under, but since it was brought up, it should probably be considered. Garrison
reminded everyone to please send any content; especially committee rosters and minutes.

Shorr says thank you and goodbye. She plans to return to the section when her schedule
permits it.

Casey pointed out that she’s leaving the Executive Board for the first time in 13 years (!).

Weaver reminds everyone to please look at the archive policy, especially when thinking
about access. We need to make decisions re: what stays on paper, what can be converted
to electronic, what should stay electronic, etc.

The Program Planning 2006 Committee requests $150 for handouts. They’re having to
use all of their ACRL money to pay speaker’s fees for non-librarian speakers. Weaver
moves to approve the money, Casado seconds. Garrison reminds Weaver to make sure
we can put the handouts on the web. Approved.

Fritts thanks Dew for his service and presents him with baseball books since we couldn’t
get to a game during the conference.

Bradberry moved to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 5:47pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Beth Reiten,
Secretary