Have you lost an important document in the floods by mmcsx


									Flood legal help
Produced by the Queensland Legal Assistance Forum

Have you lost an important
document in the floods?
Key government organisations listed below have agreed to replace lost or damaged documents free of
charge and are also providing additional assistance to people affected by the Queensland floods.
Most of the free lost document replacement services are available to people who have been affected by the Queensland
floods and live in a declared disaster area. For more information about declared disaster areas, visit

     Government                              Free lost document replacement service                              Service end date
 Registry of Births    Residents in Queensland declared disaster zones may be eligible to apply for             31 March 2011
 Deaths and            free replacement birth, death, marriage or change-of-name certificates if their
 Marriages             documents were lost or damaged in the floods.
                       Clients can apply at a courthouse, a Queensland Government Agent Program
                       office or at the Brisbane Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. For more
                       information, call 1300 366 430, email BDM.disaster@justice.qld.gov.au or visit

 State Penalties       Queenslanders affected by the floods who have outstanding fines with SPER are            31 March 2011
 Enforcement           eligible to have enforcement action temporarily deferred. Contact SPER on
 Registry (SPER)       1300 365 635 from 9am to 5.30pm, email sper@justice.qld.gov.au, write to GPO
                       Box 1387 Brisbane 4001 or fax 3109 1684 to discuss options or to see if a fine
                       registered with SPER has been deferred. For more information, visit

 Medicare              There is no cost for a replacement Medicare card.                                        n/a
                       If a replacement Medicare card is needed, call 132 011, visit your local Medicare
                       office, or write to Medicare Australia, GPO Box 9822, Brisbane 4001. Attach a
                       certified copy of identification, such as a driver licence, to the request (no form is
                       needed). For more information, visit www.medicareaustralia.gov.au

 Australian Passport   The Australian Passport Office is replacing free of charge any current Australian        28 February 2012
 Office                passport lost or damaged as a result of the Queensland floods. Call the
                       Australian Passport Office on 131232 or visit www.passports.gov.au

 Family Law Courts     The Family Law Courts are waiving fees on requests for family court orders,              No end date
                       divorce orders and other documents held by the Family Law Courts that have               decided as yet
 (Family Court of
                       been lost or damaged due to the Queensland floods.
 Australia and
 Federal Magistrates   Complete a request form and send it to the nearest Family Law Court Registry
 Court of Australia)   (Brisbane, Rockhampton, Townsville and Cairns), visit one of the Family Law Court
                       Registries, or call 1300 352 000. The request form is also available on the Family
                       Law Courts website. For more information, visit www.familylawcourts.gov.au

    Australian Taxation   People affected by the Queensland floods can contact the ATO on 1800 806 218              No end date
    Office (ATO)          for help with sorting out their tax affairs.                                              decided as yet
                          The ATO may be able to help by fast tracking refunds, giving extra time to pay
                          debts or giving more time to meet activity statement, income tax and other
                          lodgement obligations.
                          The ATO can also help by reconstructing tax records where documents have been
                          destroyed and making reasonable estimates where necessary. Register online at
                          www.ato.gov.au/assistancevisit for assistance in reconstructing tax records.
                          For more information, visit www.ato.gov.au

    Department of         If people in Queensland flood-affected areas hold an immigration visa that is    n/a
    Immigration and       about to expire, or work for a business that has been affected, or are otherwise
    Citizenship           concerned about their immigration status, contact the Department of Immigration
                          and Citizenship on 131 881 as soon as possible to discuss their circumstances
                          and options available.
                          The department is also in contact with employers of visa holders in affected areas
                          to offer advice and assistance. Businesses and sponsors who are concerned
                          about the possible impacts on their overseas workers should contact the
                          department on 131 881. For more information, visit

    Public Trustee of     The Public Trustee of Queensland performs a free will making service and this             30 June 2011
    Queensland            is also available for people who have lost existing wills due to the Queensland
                          The Public Trustee is also waiving its usual fee to prepare Enduring Powers
                          of Attorney for those people affected by the floods. Call the Public Trustee of
                          Queensland on 1300 360 044. For more information, visit www.pt.qld.gov.au

    Office of Fair        The Office of Fair Trading will replace free of charge business licence certificates,     No end date
    Trading               identification cards and business name certificates destroyed or lost in the              decided as yet
                          Late fees will be waived on Office of Fair Trading industry licences, or business
                          names due for renewal for the months of December 2010, and January and
                          February 2011. Renewal applications due in December 2010, and January
                          and February 2011 will be accepted as renewal applications or restoration
                          applications for three months after the expiry date.
                          In relation to incorporated associations and cooperatives, extensions will be
                          granted on applications for holding annual general meetings. Extensions will
                          be granted on lodging annual returns and financial statements. Copies of
                          association rules will be supplied on request at no cost if the organisation’s
                          records have been damaged, lost or destroyed.
                          Certificates of Registration of incorporated associations and cooperatives
                          destroyed or lost will be replaced free of charge.
                          Other disaster associated hardships will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
                          For more information, call 13 QGOV (13 74 68). For more information, visit
    Department of         Under Queensland law, the original title to property is held in an electronic             31 December 2011
    Environment           system maintained by the Titles Registry in the Department of Environment
    and Resource          and Resource Management. A landholder can still request a paper copy of the
    Management            certificate of title (referred to as the duplicate title or title deed), but this is no
                          longer needed as proof of ownership.
                          If a person’s duplicate title was destroyed as a result of the floods, they can
                          write to the department at PO Box 1401 GPO Brisbane 4001 and they will be
                          advised of the process to issue a replacement duplicate title at no cost. For more
                          information, visit www.derm.qld.gov.au

Department of           Queensland residents who live in declared disaster areas as a result of the                                   Eligibility continues
Transport and Main      Queensland floods can apply for the following services:                                                       while the area
Roads                      >   replace lost and/or damaged driver licences at no charge                                               remains declared
                                                                                                                                      under the State
                           >   pay for three, six or 12 month vehicle registration period with no                                     Natural Disaster
                               surcharge                                                                                              Relief and Recovery
                           >   be exempt from a fee for late payment of vehicle registration
                           >   opt to extend a dormant seasonal vehicle registration period up to two
                           >   extend the time for certificates of inspection for heavy vehicles including
                               public transport vehicles
                           >   discuss options for lost or damaged infringement notices.

                        For more information, call 13 23 80, visit your local Department of Transport and
                        Main Roads Customer Service Centre or Queensland Government Agent Program
                        Office, or visit www.tmr.qld.gov.au

Residential             If copies of the tenancy agreement held by the lessor/agent and the tenant have n/a

Tenancies Authority     been destroyed or damaged, the agreement continues. The parties can document
                        the agreement by recompleting the tenancy agreement form on the same terms
                        and conditions. Tenancy agreement forms are available from the RTA website
    Queensland Legal   Assistance Forum

    Queensland Legal
                                                                                                Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander

    Assistance Forum
                                                                                                     Legal Service (Qld) Ltd


To top