#5 Mott Hollow Historic District Millbrook Avenue and Gristmill Road along the Mill Brook, 1800. Also on NJ and National Register 9-89 Gristmill Road Mott’s Hollow or Mott Hollow Historic District – listed in the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places on April 21, 1992. It was the first historic site in Randolph Township to receive such designation. 44.4 acres with its central section located at the intersection of the roads known today as Millbrook Avenue, Ford Road and Gristmill Road. there was a gristmill here on Gristmill Rd.; in the Millbrook section, there were 2 lost children, and ghost of mother wailing can be heard Mott Davenport Grist Mill-Mott Hollow; mother lost two children - (to Indians?)-can hear wailing Raw wool was processed Barrel making on Right= Tuttle Cooperage Mott’s Hollow or Mott Hollow, after the Mott family Also known as Millbrook basin The district encompasses historic sites and historic happenings pertaining the first and second five decades of the 1800’s. Busiest Quaker mercantile village in the township between 1800 and 1850. : an oil mill, a fulling mill, a carding mill, a tanyard, a blacksmith, a cooperage, a sawmill, a gristmill, a shoemaker, a school and residences. Apple orchards and cider mills and distilleries – between the mid 1800s until the early 1900s- the mid and lower part of the narrow and curved Gristmill Road (eastern bound). 14 main historic sites – all converted into residences now. Mott Davenport Grist Mill (#72 Gristmill Road) - the mill dates back to about 1800, when Joshua Mott and his sons settled along the Mill Brook and began operating this mill. Whether Mott built the mill, or whether it was already in existence when he arrived on the scene is unclear. The fulling mill in Mott Hollow was operated by Joshua Mott, Sr. and his son John. Located upstream from the gristmill. In it, newly woven wool cloth was cleaned, shrunk, thickened, and napped in order to make cloth more serviceable. The final preparation of cloth was accomplished only by the constant pounding and soaking provided by the heavy wooden mallets run off the water wheel of a fulling mill. The carding of wool was not originally water powered, and was located closer to Gristmill Road. Southwest of the carding mill was the tanyard also run by the Motts) which probably supplied the leather needed in the shoemaker’s shop. The Motts oil mill was one of only tow in Morris County in 1821. It seems to have stood west of the present- day Millbrook Avenue outside the boundaries of this district. In any case, the purpose of an oil mill was to grind flax seeds to release the unctuous center of the kernel which after much pressing and squeezing became linseed oil. Linseed oil, a natural dying oil, was the primary ingredient in oil paints, used for all architectural purposes and for some decorative painting as well. William Mott started to sell out his business and propriety in the 1820s. He sold both the mill and the house to the same proprietor, Ulysses Kinsey. He then retired from his trade and moved to a small house at 343 Millbrook Ave in 1840s. This house has a unique water system that feed s the house.