Docstoc

St. Cloud State University Archives Timeline of Events This

Document Sample
St. Cloud State University Archives Timeline of Events This Powered By Docstoc
					                                                    St. Cloud State University Archives
                                                            Timeline of Events

This timeline is of events that have occurred at St. Cloud State University from right before its founding to the
present. Far from complete, the timeline focuses on people, events, and buildings. Some of the highlights are
serious, some silly, and some surprising.

Sources include:

     •    The Chronicle (1924-present)
     •    Ray Rowland. Loyal to thy Fine Tradition: St. Cloud State University: 125 years in Words and Pictures,
          1869-1994. (1994)
     •    Edwin Cates. A Centennial History of St. Cloud State College. (1969)
     •    John Kasper. The Husky Tradition: A History of Men’s Athletics at St. Cloud State University. (1980)
     •    St. Cloud State commencement programs
     •    State of Minnesota College Board minutes
     •    Research from the University Archives’ research projects into named buildings and presidents.
     •    Archives’ quikref files for buildings

Date                Information

1866/02/02          The Minnesota State legislature designated St. Cloud as the site for the Third State Normal
                    School.

1869/02/16          The State Normal School Board selected the Stearns House, owned by W. M. Hooper, as the site
                    for the Third State Normal School. Constructed in 1857, the former hotel, which sat on a bluff
                    overlooking the Mississippi River, was purchased for $3,000. It also authorized remodeling of
                    the building to serve as a the home of the new normal school, which cost $3434.47.

1869/03/17          The State Normal School Board elected Ira Moore the principal of the Normal School at St.
                    Cloud. Moore would serve until 1875.

1869/09/13          The first session opens at the Normal School. Five teachers taught forty female and ten male
                    students. The course of study was two years.

1871/06/30          The Third State Normal School (at St. Cloud) held its first commencement ceremony.

1873                The Third State Normal School (at St. Cloud) changed its name to the State Normal School at
                    St. Cloud.

1874                Construction of the Main Building was completed. Wings for the building were completed for
                    the south side in 1893 and north side in 1897.

1875                David Kiehle was elected as principal to succeed Ira Moore. Kiehle, who was educated in New
                    York State, was an ordained Presbyterian minister.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1878                The Normal School’s library had 400 volumes.

1881/04/28          The school’s alumni association was established, with more than 100 graduates and friends
                    attending. Alum, faculty member and future president, Thomas Gray, was elected its first
                    president.

1881/09             Jerome Allen, president of the Lennox Collegiate Institute in Hopkinton, Iowa, became president
                    of the Normal School at St. Cloud. An ordained Presbyterian minister, Allen would serve until
                    1884.

1884/09             Thomas Gray, who graduated in 1872, was the first alum to serve as president of St. Cloud State.
                    Gray served until 1890.

1885/08/27          The Ladies Home, a dormitory for women at St. Cloud State, opened its doors. The building was
                    renamed for Isabel Lawrence in 1899. The dormitory was destroyed by fire in 1905.

1890                Joseph Carhart was appointed president of St. Cloud State. He served until 1895.

1892                Student teaching by students from St. Cloud State at St. Cloud area schools was established.

1892/03/26          The St. Cloud Normal Athletic Club was founded, paving the way for intercollegiate athletics.

1892/04             The school’s first student newspaper, the Normalia, appeared for the first time. It was published
                    monthly.

1892/05             The Normalia reported that work on the south addition of the Old Main Building was
                    progressing.

1892/06             The Normalia reported that the class of 1892, numbering 39, was the largest graduating class for
                    St. Cloud State ever.

1895                The school’s football team began play for the first time.

1895/07/19          George Kleeberger, who was vice president at San Jose State Normal School, was appointed
                    president at St. Cloud State. Kleeberger served until 1902.

1898/02/05          The Normalia claims that the first hockey game “ever seen in St. Cloud” was played by students
                    of St. Cloud State. Split into two teams, the Alphas and the Omegas, the Omegas won 4-3. The
                    contest was referred by Professor MacArthur.

1901                St. Cloud State’s basketball team began play.

1902/06/01          Waite Shoemaker became the second alum (Shoemaker graduated in 1881) to serve as president
                    of St. Cloud State. Shoemaker served until his death in 1916.

1904                Summer classes were offered for the first time.



St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1905                The second Lawrence Hall was built on the site of the first Lawrence Hall, who was destroyed
                    by fire in January 1905.

1906/09             The Model School opened its doors. It served as a laboratory for teaching until Riverview
                    opened in 1913. The Model School would then become the school’s library until 1952.

1913                Riverview opened, serving as the campus laboratory school until 1958.

1914/11/10          Isabel Lawrence, long-time faculty member at St. Cloud State, was named acting president while
                    President Shoemaker was ill. She became the first female to serve as president, acting or
                    permanent, at St. Cloud State. Lawrence served until June 1916.

1915                Shoemaker Hall, named after President Waite Shoemaker, opened.

1916/06/09          Joseph Brown was appointed president at St. Cloud State. Brown served until 1927.

1919                St. Cloud State celebrated its 50th anniversary.

1921                The name of the school changed from the State Normal School at St. Cloud to the St. Cloud
                    State Teachers College.

1923                The Talahi, St. Cloud State’s yearbook, first appeared. Talahi is Chippewa for “among the
                    oaks.”

1924/09/19          The Chronicle, the weekly student newspaper, appeared for the first time.

1925/10/31          Homecoming was held for the first time, featuring a pep-fest, bonfire, campus tour, and a
                    football game between St. Cloud State and Winona. Winona won 6-0.

1927/06/24          George Selke, who graduated from St. Cloud State in 1913, was appointed president. Selke
                    would serve until 1947.

1927/10/15          The new J. C. Brown Athletic Field, named after Joseph Brown, was dedicated. Brown Field
                    stood just west of Shoemaker Hall.

1928/06/07          St. Cloud State awarded its first Bachelor’s degree.

1930/10/03          Eastman Hall was dedicated. Named for former St. Cloud State resident director to the State
                    College Board, Eastman Hall served as the school’s gymnasium.

1930/12/16          Mary Atwood gifted $5000 in memory of Clarence Atwood, establishing the school’s first
                    scholarship.

1931                Hockey was established as an intercollegiate sport.

1931/01/10          In the first basketball game played at the newly opened Eastman Hall, St. Cloud State was
                    defeated by St. John’s University 33-24.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1931/10/30          Al Sirat, the school’s first social fraternity, held its first organizational meeting. Al Sirat would
                    later became Theta Chi.

1931/12/04          The Chronicle reported that Carl Sandburg, famous poet, was to appear at St. Cloud State.

1931/12/18          The Chronicle reported that President Selke and 30 students met to organize a hockey team for
                    St. Cloud State. An ice skating rink was planned to be built on the football field at the J.C.
                    Brown Field, and the college was to buy uniforms for the team.

1932/01/09          St. Cloud State’s first hockey practice was held at Lake George. The team was led by coach
                    Ralph Theisen.

1932/11/04          The Chronicle reported that men of St. Cloud State leased a home at 325 3rd Avenue South as a
                    dormitory. The dormitory was named after Darius Steward, a long-time faculty member and was
                    expected to open in time for the winter quarter.

1933/04/07          The Chronicle reported that architect Charles Morgan, an associate of Frank Lloyd Wright,
                    recently spoke on campus.

1933/06             St. Cloud State acquired the Beaver Islands on the Mississippi River, so named by Zebulon Pike
                    when he passed through the future site of St. Cloud in 1805

1933/09/08          The Chronicle reported that Harvey Waugh was hired recently to teach music at St. Cloud State.
                    Waugh retired in 1970.

1933/09/08          The Chronicle reported that George Lynch replaced John Weisman as football coach for the
                    coming season. Weisman was on leave for the year.

1933/10/6           The Chronicle reported that the newspaper was conducting a poll to choose a new college
                    nickname.

1933/12/28          Beulah Douglas, a faculty member at St. Cloud State since 1902, passed away after a short
                    illness.

1934/01/26          The Chronicle reported that campus improvements were happening, including the excavation of
                    a basement in Eastman Hall, construction of a tunnel between Eastman Hall and Riverview,
                    bridges on the Beaver Islands, a path between Lawrence Hall and the 10th Street bridge, and the
                    redecoration of Riverview.

1934/05/07          Anne Govednik, a swimmer from Chisholm, Minnesota who appeared in the 1932 Summer
                    Olympics, gave an exhibition at the Eastman Hall pool.

1934/09/14          As reported by the Chronicle, Al Sirat, a men’s social fraternity, was enjoying its new home, the
                    Old Mitchell home on 508 1st Avenue South.




St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1934/09/28          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State purchased 51 acres near the reformatory east of the
                    Mississippi River, known as the Hilder quarry site. Funds were made possible by “funds
                    resulting from entertainment courses of various kinds at the college, from athletic contests, and
                    from other sources.” No state funds were used.

1934/10/26          The Chronicle reported that Alvah Eastman established the Alice M. Eastman scholarship,
                    consisting of an award of $10 to the recipient.

1934/11/16          The Chronicle reported that Al-Sirat, who have moved into the old Mitchell home, donated a
                    collection of photographs and newspapers that were given to them by the Mitchell family. This
                    included photos taken in 1890 of the old kindergarten, the old gymnasium (now the orchestra
                    and band room), the science laboratory, and the old library (now the president’s office).

1935/09/27          The Chronicle reported that George Lynch was appointed director of athletics.

1936                Carol Hall, named after President George Selke’s wife Carol, was purchased by St. Cloud State
                    and became a dormitory for women.

1936                Freshmen wore beanies for the first time. The practiced ended in 1961.

1936/01/17          The Chronicle reported that Robert DePaul was named player-coach for the St. Cloud State
                    hockey team after Lud Andolsek, coach for the past three seasons, resigned to become
                    supervisor for the Range district in Minnesota for the National Youth Administration.

1937/10/23          Selke Field was dedicated. Built east of the Mississippi River by the Works Progress
                    Administration, the field was surrounded by a 3510 foot granite wall.

1938                “Huskies” became the nickname of St. Cloud State.

1938/04/29          The Chronicle reported that the Al Sirat house, formerly the Mitchell family home, was being
                    demolished.

1939                Talahi Woods was opened for use by St. Cloud State, including the use of a lodge called Talahi
                    Lodge.

1939/12/12          St. Cloud State, through the State College Board, established its first tenure faculty policy. The
                    policy required faculty to serve three years before they were given tenure

1940                The first homecoming queen was crowned.

1943/08/23          Dudley S. Brainard, a faculty member, was named acting president while George Selke was on
                    leave. Except for a brief period in 1947, Brainard served until 1948.

1945/09             More than 600 veterans enrolled at St. Cloud State. Earlier that year, only 18 men were enrolled
                    at the school.




St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1946/04/27          President George Selke, who returned to St. Cloud State on March 26, 1946, after three years on
                    leave due to World War II, resigned. Dudley Brainard became acting president.

1946/09/20          Veterans continued to enroll at St. Cloud State, taking advantage of a free education provided by
                    the GI Bill. Enrollment was 1,107 students, an all-time high. It is also the first time that men
                    outnumbered women on campus, 607 men to 500 women.

1946/10/04          The Chronicle reported that the completion of the men’s dormitory (later named Brainard Hall)
                    was close, as well as the veteran’s housing on Selke Field.

1947/02/14          The Chronicle reported that US Attorney General approved St. Cloud State to accept “non-quota
                    immigrant students” from around the world. Notice of the approval was sent to consular offices
                    outside of the United States.

1947/02/27          The Chronicle reported that approval had been received for a BA to be awarded in business at
                    St. Cloud State.

1947/02/27          The Chronicle reported that the veteran’s housing at Selke Field was complete and families were
                    moving in.

1947/05/09          The Chronicle reported that Old Main’s north wing was to be demolished soon. Classes held in
                    that wing would move to Old Main’s auditorium, which would be split into five separate
                    classrooms.

1947/05/15          St. Cloud State was accepted as a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and
                    Secondary School. Graduates could now use their degrees to gain admittance to graduate
                    schools.

1947/06/27          The Chronicle reported that the work on demolishing Old Main’s north wing was proceeding.
                    Construction of the new building, recently named Stewart Hall in honor of Warren Stewart, St.
                    Cloud State graduate and resident director, began.

1947/09/01          John Headley began his service as president of St. Cloud State. Headley served until December
                    1951.

1947/10/11          Brainard Hall, named after former President Dudley S. Brainard, was dedicated. It would help
                    house the influx of veterans to campus. Brainard Hall stood just west of Selke Field.

1947/12/12          The Chronicle reported that Building B, a “temporary” building that stood behind Riverview,
                    was ready for occupancy.

1948/01/30          Smoking was banned in all buildings on campus, except in the basement of Old Main.

1948/02/13          The Chronicle reported that the St. Cloud State men’s hockey team won the St. Paul Winter
                    Carnival tournament by beating St. Olaf in overtime, 5-4.

1948/05/21          The Chronicle reported that the cornerstone for Stewart Hall was laid.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1948/10/08          The Chronicle reported that at fall commencement, two new degrees were to be awarded:
                    Associate in Education and Associate in Arts.

1948/10/11          Portions of Stewart Hall opened for classes for the first time.

1948/11/16          Folk and blues musician, Huddie William Ledbetter, better known as Lead Belly, performed at
                    Eastman Hall.
1948/12/03          St. Cloud State students helped move furniture and other materials from Old Main to Stewart
                    Hall.

1949/03/25          The Chronicle reported that a student lounge opened in Building B.

1949/10/11          The Chronicle reported that John Kasper was recently appointed head baseball coach at St.
                    Cloud State.

1949/12/22          The Chronicle reported that long-time faculty member George W. Friedrich retired at the end of
                    the fall quarter.

1950/03/30          Stewart Hall was dedicated. Named after Warren H. Stewart, who served as resident director to
                    the Minnesota State College Board from 1938 to 1948, and as its president from 1941 to 1948.
                    Old Main, which stood just behind Stewart Hall, was knocked down shortly after.

1950/05/05          The Chronicle reported that Bill Heiss was named the new head coach of the St. Cloud State
                    football team.

1950/06/30          The Chronicle reported that demolition of Old Main was progressing, with the hope that the job
                    would be complete by the end of summer.

1950/09             The number of faculty reached 123, the first time over 100 faculty were employed by the school.

1952/02/01          George Budd was appointed president of St. Cloud State. Budd served until 1965.

1952/05             A student swam across the Mississippi River near campus, marking the establishment of new
                    springtime tradition at St. Cloud State.

1952/09             Freshmen orientation was introduced and was held at Lake Koronis near Paynesville, Minnesota.

1952/10/04          On the campaign trail, Republication presidential candidate Dwight D. Eisenhower crowned
                    Joyce Pearson as St. Cloud State’s homecoming queen.

1952/10/31          In a mock election, St. Cloud State students elected Dwight D. Eisenhower as president of the
                    United State, by a 53.2% to 46.5% margin over Adlai Stevenson.

1952/11/04          The Chronicle reported that hockey remained as a varsity sport for a least another year. One
                    change to try to keep interest in hockey was that the team would be under the direction of a
                    student-coach.



St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1953/01/20          The Chronicle reported that two St. Cloud State students flew the college plane from St. Cloud
                    to Albuquerque, New Mexico for Christmas vacation.

1953/05/11          State teachers colleges, including St. Cloud State, received permission to offer a master’s degree
                    in education. The school awarded its first master’s degree in 1954 and received accreditation for
                    the program the following year.

1953/05/28          The annual athletic banquet, held at Talahi Lodge, was held for the first time.

1953/08/18          The Chronicle reported that Dudley Brainerd, George Lynch, and Beth Porter Garvey were
                    retiring from service at St. Cloud State.

1953/10/16          Kiehle Library was dedicated. Named after former president David Kiehle, the building would
                    serve as the library until 1971.

1954/10/13          US Senator from Minnesota, Hubert Humphrey, spoke before the Young Democratic Farmer
                    Labor Group on campus.

1954/11/16          The Chronicle reported that Ken Novak replaced Les Luymes as men’s basketball coach at St.
                    Cloud State.

1954/12/07          The Chronicle reported St. Cloud State offered evening and Saturday classes for the first time,
                    starting in the coming winter quarter.

1955/09/20          The Chronicle reported that Richard Kirchner was appointed the new head track and wrestling
                    head coach, while Paul Meadows was named the head basketball and baseball coach.

1956/09/25          The Chronicle reported that Whitney House, recently acquired from the Whitney family, opened
                    as a women’s dormitory.

1956/09/25          The Chronicle reported that Jack Wink, the new head football coach at St. Cloud State, was
                    preparing for his first season.

1956/10/09          The Chronicle reported that the new woman’s dormitory, Mitchell Hall, was under construction.

1956/11/01          In a mock election, St. Cloud State students re-elected Dwight D. Eisenhower as president of the
                    United States.

1957/03/20          Jesse Owens, Cleveland native and track star from the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, spoke
                    on campus. Owens lectured on the past 1956 Summer Olympics, as well as showing films from
                    the 1936 and recent 1956 Olympics.

1957/04/30          The name of the school changed from St. Cloud State Teachers College to St. Cloud State
                    College

1957/10/07          The St. Cloud State College Amateur Radio Club was established.



St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1957/11/04          St. Cloud State’s ham radio station went on the air for the first time.

1958/01/18          The St. Cloud – Winona GOAT, a painted cardboard traveling trophy of a goat and given to the
                    winner of the annual meeting of these two schools in football, was sent to Winona. St. Cloud
                    forgot to give the trophy to Winona after they defeated St. Cloud in the fall.

1958/03/11          Author Arthur C. Clarke lectured at Stewart Hall on the future of space exploration.

1958/09             Mitchell Hall, the school’s first newly constructed dormitory in over 40 years, opened. The
                    building was named for William Bell Mitchell, who served as resident director to the Minnesota
                    State College Board from 1877 to 1901.

1958/09             Thomas J. Gray Campus Laboratory School opened, replacing Riverview as the laboratory
                    school. Now the Engineering and Computing Center, the building was named after Thomas J.
                    Gray, an 1872 graduate who served as president of St. Cloud State from 1881 to 1890.

1958/09/16          The Chronicle reported that all instructional resources (Juvenile and College libraries, audio-
                    visual, and the curriculum library) were placed under the administration of Luther Brown,
                    director of Instructional Resources.

1958/10/26          Mitchell Hall, Brown Hall, and the Thomas J. Gray Campus Laboratory School were dedicated.

1958/11/11          The Chronicle reported that Red Severson was appointed the new men’s basketball coach.

1959                St. Cloud State offered off-campus evening courses for the first time.

1959/01             With a gift of $10,000 from Marjorie Atwood, the University Foundation was founded.

1960                Brown Hall, named after Joseph C. Brown, who served as president of St. Cloud State from
                    1916 to 1927, opened.

1960                An addition to Shoemaker Hall opened.

1960/11/12          The Beta Sigma chapter of Sigma Tau Gamma was established, becoming the first national
                    social fraternity at St. Cloud State.

1961/06/27          See How They Run opened the first season of St. Cloud State’s summer theater in Alexandria,
                    Minnesota, Theatre L’Homme Dieu.

1962                Helen Hill Hall opened. The building was named after Helen Hill, who served on St. Cloud State
                    faculty member from 1915 to 1952.

1962/10/12          The Chronicle reported that Robert Zumwinkle, dean of students, resigned to accept an
                    administrative post at the East-West Center in Honolulu, Hawaii.

1962/11/01          The first meeting of the History Club occurred, its purpose to provide a means by which history
                    students may exchange ideas and viewpoints about history.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1963                John W. Headley Industry and Art Building opened its doors. The building was named after
                    John W. Headley, who served as president of St. Cloud State from 1947 to 1951.

1963                The Beth Porter Garvey Commons, a student cafeteria, opened its doors. The Commons are
                    named after Beth Porter Garvey, who served on the St. Cloud State faculty from 1926 to 1953.

1963/04/11          The Chronicle reported that John Woods began his tenure in the spring as men’s tennis coach at
                    St. Cloud State.

1963/05/03          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State’s Aero Club took third place in a national air meet
                    held at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, IL. The team won their trophy by winning
                    first and third place in the bomb drop event.

1963/05/17          The Chronicle reported that Alfred Lease was named chairman of the newly organized
                    department of Industrial Engineering

1963/06/01          Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the new Newman Center.

1963/06/17          Traynor and Hermanson was selected as the architectural firm for the Atwood Memorial Center.

1963/06/26          The Chronicle reported that the “old” Newman Center was moved to 13th Avenue South and 4th
                    Street South, to make room for the new Newman Center to be constructed.

1963/07/10          Garvey Commons opened its doors as the new food service building for campus.

1963/10/04          The Chronicle reported that the architectural design for the new Newman Center, being
                    constructed, won the Bronze Medal for Architectural Excellence, presented annually at the
                    National Liturgical Week conference; the architectural firm designing Newman Center was
                    Freerks, Sperl, and Flynn.

1964                Co-ed dormitories were introduced at St. Cloud State, with Shoemaker, Hill and Case Halls
                    participating.

1964                The Marie E. Case Hall opened. The building was named after Marie E. Case, who served on the
                    St. Cloud State faculty from 1927 to 1958.

1964/03/03          The Chronicle reported that the new physical education building being constructed on campus
                    would be named for Philip L. Halenbeck.

1964/04/04          Chi Eta Phi, a local sorority at St. Cloud State, became the Delta Omicron chapter of the national
                    sorority Alpha Phi.

1964/04/05          The cast members of St. Cloud State’s production of “Pajama Game” left on an USO tour of
                    American military bases in Europe.

1964/06/11          St. Cloud State award its first MBA degrees.



St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1964/09/25          The Chronicle reported that the dormitory being built at St. Cloud State would be named for
                    Wilbur W. Holes, a former resident director from the college to the Minnesota state college
                    board.

1964/09/27          The new Newman Center opened.

1964/10/10          Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the Atwood Memorial Center.

1964/11/06          The Chronicle reported that construction continued on Holes Hall, with a target opening for the
                    fall of 1965.

1965/02/20          The St. Cloud State basketball team played its final game at Eastman Hall, before moving to
                    Halenbeck Hall for next season.

1965/02/23          The building that housed the now-closed Chatterbox was destroyed by fire.

1965/03/02          The Chronicle reported that Rod Anfenson, head track coach at Minneapolis Southwest High
                    School, was appointed head football coach at St. Cloud State.

1965/04/23          Doc Severinsen, the future music director on NBC’s Tonight Show, played with St. Cloud
                    State’s Concert Band at Stewart Hall.

1965/05/22          Duke Ellington performed at St. Cloud State’s spring formal, held at the Granite City Coliseum.

1965/07/30          The Chronicle reported that Rufus Wilson was named varsity tennis coach, and Don Leas was
                    the new cross country and swimming coach.

1965/09/01          George Budd, president of St. Cloud State since 1952, resigned. Robert Wick was named acting
                    president.

1965/10/16          The Philip L. Halenbeck Hall was dedicated. The building was named after Philip L. Halenbeck
                    was a longtime friend of St. Cloud State who donated resources in 1956 for the first academic
                    scholarships offered by the university and helped launch the university’s first major fund raising
                    campaign in 1963.

1965/10/16          W. W. Holes Residence Hall was dedicated. The building was named in honor of Wilbur Warren
                    Holes, a St. Cloud businessman who served on the Minnesota State College Board from 1948 to
                    1957, including as its president from 1955 to 1957.

1966                Atwood Memorial Center opened. The student union was named after Clarence L. Atwood, an
                    1880 graduate of St. Cloud State who served as resident director to the Minnesota State College
                    Board from 1911 to 1921.

1966                Stearns Residence Hall opened its doors. The building was named after Stearns County, a
                    Minnesota county that includes part of the city of St. Cloud.




St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1966/01/17          Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong played at Halenbeck Hall. Tickets cost $2 for main floor seats,
                    $1.50 for bleacher seats.

1966/02/22          The Harlem Globetrotters, celebrating their 40th year, appeared at Halenbeck Hall. Tickets were
                    priced at $3, $2, and $1.50.

1966/02/23          The Vienna Choir Boys performed at Halenbeck Hall.

1966/04/29          Robert Wick was appointed president of St. Cloud State. Wick had served as acting president
                    since 1965.

1966/11/06          Anti-Vietnam war protestors confronted Vice President Hubert Humphrey as he arrived to speak
                    at Halenbeck Hall.

1967                Benton Student Residence opened. The dormitory was named after Benton County, a Minnesota
                    county that includes part of the city of St. Cloud.

1967/05/10          Campus FM radio station KVSC began broadcasting.

1967/09             Construction of Sherburne Hall began.

1967/10             Fall enrollment at St. Cloud State set a new record, with 8,531 students enrolled.

1967/10/26          Comedian Fred Smoot appeared at Halenbeck Hall.

1967/11/04          Atwood Memorial Center was dedicated.

1967/11/12          The St. Cloud State marching band performed during halftime of the Minnesota Vikings and
                    Detroit Lions football game played at Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota.

1967/12/28          Howard Russell was named chairman of the Department of English.

1968                Performing Arts Center opened.

1968                The School of Business building opened its doors for the first time.

1968/01/16          The Chronicle reported that Terrence Montgomery was appointed Vice President of
                    Development and Institutional Relations.

1968/01/16          The Chronicle reported that Dale W. Patton was named Vice President for Student Affairs.

1968/01/16          The Chronicle reported that Lowell (Ted) Gillett was named dean of the School of Graduate
                    Studies. Lowell would later serve as acting president of the university from 1981 to 1982.

1968/02/01          The Chronicle reported that a $40,000 fundraising campaign in the St. Cloud community was
                    kicked off to help celebrate the centennial of St. Cloud State University.


St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1968/02/13          Jim Stanek began his first season as baseball coach.

1968/03/02          Harvey Waugh, longtime faculty member in the Department of Music, retired from conducting.

1968/04/05          The Chronicle reported that Jack Wink, resigned as hockey coach. Wink served as coach for 12
                    years.

1968/04/09          An all-campus memorial service was held at Stewart Hall for the recently assassinated Martin
                    Luther King.

1968/04/27          Performing Arts Center opened.

1968/05/09          KVSC-FM celebrated its first year on the air.

1968/05/10          The Chronicle reported that Charles Basch was appointed as St. Cloud State’s new hockey
                    coach.

1968/07/01          The St. Cloud State library switched from classifying books using the Dewey Decimal system to
                    the Library of Congress classification system.

1968/07/03          The Chronicle reported that Jack Haddorff was appointed the new head tennis coach, replacing
                    Bob Wolff, and William Thornton was named interim track and cross-country coach.

1968/09/16          The Chronicle reported that William Radovich was appointed assistant vice-president of
                    administrative affairs.

1968/09/16          The Chronicle reported that the veteran housing units at Selke Field, which were constructed as
                    temporary housing in 1946, were condemned. Residents had until June 15 to leave.

1968/10/02          As part of Heritage Day, the opening festivities for St. Cloud State’s centennial year, ground was
                    broken for the new library, Centennial Hall.

1968/10/06          The American Basketball Association teams, the Minnesota Pipers and the Oakland Oaks played
                    an exhibition game at Halenbeck Hall.

1968/11/14          Doug Erickson, a student from St. Cloud State, was arrested on the steps of the Stearns County
                    Courthouse for attempting to burn his dog, Lord Carlton Wiggins, with napalm. Erickson
                    admitted it was a stunt to draw attention to the Vietnam War.

1969/01/12          The Performing Arts Center was dedicated.

1969/01/21          Basketball coach Red Severson won his 200th game at St. Cloud State, when the Huskies beat
                    Bemidji, 61-46.

1969/02/15          Bert Parks, host of the Miss America pageant, emceed the grand march for the “Centennial
                    Sweetheart Ball,” held at Halenbeck Hall.



St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1969/03/07          The Moscow State Symphony, led by conductor Odissey Dimitriadi, played at Halenbeck Hall
                    before an audience of 4500 people.

1969/03/13          St. Cloud State basketball coach Red Severson resigned to accept the head coaching position at
                    Mankato State.

1969/04/11          Sherburne Student Residence, Benton Student Residence, and Stearns Residence Hall, were
                    dedicated. The buildings were named after the three counties in which the city of St. Cloud
                    resides.

1969/04/11          The Chronicle reported that Noel Olson was named as the new head coach of the St. Cloud State
                    basketball team.

1969/05/02          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State hockey team left the International Collegiate
                    Hockey Association (ICHA), effective for the 1969/70 in order to play as an independent.

1969/05/03          John Weisman, assistant dean of students, retired. Weisman first arrived at St. Cloud State in
                    1927.

1969/05/14          The cornerstone was laid for the School of Business building.

1969/06/03          The Chronicle reported that the Department of English published its first Sinclair Lewis
                    newsletter in “an attempt to facilitate and intensify serious study of the late Minnesota author.”

1969/07/10          The Chronicle reported that the Music Studio building, which sat just south of Eastman Hall,
                    was being demolished.

1969/07/17          The Chronicle reported that Lawrence Hall (1905) would no longer house students but now
                    would be home to several administrative and academic departments, beginning in the fall of
                    1969.

1969/10/12          The campus television station, UTVS, produced its first live show, “This Is Your Time.”

1969/11/14          The Chronicle reported that singer John Denver was scheduled to play a free concert at Stewart
                    Hall.

1970/01/30          The Chronicle reported that the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences would split into two
                    schools, School of Fine Arts and the School of Liberal Arts, on July 1, 1970.
1970/02/07          Talahi Lodge was destroyed by fire.

1970/04/14          Pro wrestling visited Halenbeck Hall, featuring the Crusher and Mad Dog Vachon.

1970/05/14          Rock band Chicago performed at Halenbeck Hall.

1970/05/26          As reported in the Chronicle, Sherburne Hall was to go co-ed in the fall, with men and women
                    living on alternate floors.



St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1970/06/05          The Chronicle reported that Ed Colletti, athletics director at St. Cloud State for 19 years,
                    resigned.

1970/06/18          The Chronicle reported that Rod Anfenson, St. Cloud State football coach and assistant athletics
                    director, will become athletics director.

1970/07/09          The Chronicle reported that Bob Waxlax was hired as head coach of St. Cloud State’s cross
                    country and track and field teams.

1970/10/09          The rock group the Rascals performed at Halenbeck Hall as part of Homecoming.

1970/12/09          Over 5,000 people saw John Denver perform at Halenbeck Hall. Tickets were free to students.

1971/01/08          The Chronicle reported that Alfred Lease, Vice President for Administrative Affairs, and Marvin
                    Holmgren, Vice President for Academic Affairs, will resign effective June 30, 1971.

1971/01/08          Rod Anfenson announced his resignation as head football coach at St. Cloud State.

1971/04/20          Ralph Nader appeared at Halenbeck Hall as part of “Earth Week” activities at St. Cloud State.

1971/04/25          Kiehle Library closed to prepare for the library’s move to the new Centennial Hall.

1971/05/07          The Chronicle reported that parts of Centennial Hall, named in honor of St. Cloud State’s recent
                    100th anniversary, opened as materials from Kiehle Library were moved.

1971/05/11          The Chronicle announced that Alfred Lease was named dean of the School of Industry, effective
                    July 1, 1971.

1971/06/24          The Chronicle reported that future St. Cloud State president Brendan McDonald was named
                    Vice President for Administrative Affairs, effective September 1, 1971.

1971/07/01          Charles Graham began his term as president, replacing Robert Wick. Graham served until 1981.

1971/07/15          The Chronicle reported that the new addition to the Atwood Memorial Center was being
                    constructed.

1971/09/16          The Chronicle reported that construction on the new math and science building would begin in
                    early October 1971. The building was designed by Bissell, Belair, and Green.

1971/09/24          School of Education building opened its doors, housing most departments and programs from
                    the school.

1971/10/05          Mime Marcel Marceau performed at Halenbeck Hall.

1972/01/11          Vice president of Student Affairs, Dale Patton, announced his resignation, effective June 30,
                    1972.


St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1972/01/18          The Chronicle reported that Wayne “Mike” Simpson, was hired as St. Cloud State’s new
                    football coach.

1972/01/18          The Chronicle reported that the Minority Cultural Center was established, and housed in
                    Shoemaker Hall.

1972/02/24          Smokey Robinson and the Miracle were scheduled to perform as part of St. Cloud State’s Sno
                    Days at Halenbeck Hall.

1972/03/03          As part of St. Cloud State president Charles Graham’s inauguration events, Doc Severnsen
                    performed at Halenbeck Hall.

1972/03/03          St. Cloud State president Charles Graham was inaugurated.

1972/04/07          The grand opening of Atwood Memorial Center’s second phase addition was held.

1972/04/21          The Chronicle reported that Warren Reinecke, Atwood Memorial Center’s director, resigned
                    after less than a year on the job.

1972/04/25          The School of Education building was dedicated.

1972/05/07          Dedication activities began for Centennial Hall, St. Cloud State’s new library.

1972/05/09          The Chronicle reported that the Atwood Music Listening Lounge was now open.

1972/05/15          Elton John performed at Halenbeck Hall as part of May Daze activities. Tickets cost $1.50 for
                    students and $3 for the public.

1972/05/23          The Chronicle reported that that Harry Menagh was appointed as dean of the School of Fine
                    Arts, effective July 1, 1972.

1972/05/23          The Chronicle reported that John Tomlinson was appointed vice president for academic affairs,
                    effective, June 15, 1972.

1972/07/20          The Chronicle reported that Brendan McDonald, vice president for administration and planning
                    resigned, effective September 1, 1972, to become president at Kearney State College in
                    Nebraska.

1972/08/17          The Chronicle reported that Pat Krueger, Atwood’s program director, was appointed as
                    Atwood’s acting director.

1972/08/17          The Chronicle reported that William Radovich was appointed acting vice president for
                    administration and planning.

1972/10/12          Ike and Tina Turner performed at Halenbeck Hall during homecoming.




St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1972/11/21          St. Cloud State plays its first home hockey game indoors at the new St. Cloud Municipal Ice
                    Arena.

1973                The Alumni House, the former residence of Claude B. Lewis, older brother of author Sinclair
                    Lewis, and more recently the home of L. Ferne Atwood, became part of St. Cloud State.

1973/01/09          The Chronicle reported that C. Robert Frost, director of Public Service Careers and Program
                    Development at St. Cloud State, was establishing a year abroad program for 1973/74 by
                    recruiting students to spend the coming academic year in Denmark.

1973/02/01          A fire broke out in the third floor activities room of Hill Hall, causing $10,000 in damage.

1973/02/07          Comedian George Carlin appeared at Stewart Hall during the Sno-Daze activities.

1973/03/03          Irvamae Applegate, dean of the School of Education, passed away at the age of 52. She served
                    as dean from 1962 until her death.

1973/03/12          William Radovich was appointed vice president for administrative affairs, replacing future St.
                    Cloud State president and alum Brendan McDonald.

1973/03/31          The Harlem Globetrotters played at Halenbeck Hall.

1973/04/02          Members of the Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphin football teams faced off against each
                    other in basketball at Halenbeck Hall to raise funds for the Boy’s Club. The Vikings lost 68-59.

1973/05/01          Christine Jorgensen, formally known as George Jorgensen, spoke at Atwood. In 1950 in
                    Denmark, Jorgensen underwent the world’s first sex reassignment surgery.

1973/06/21          Math-Science Building, now known as the Robert H. Wick Science Center, opened.

1973/07             Construction began on the outdoor mall located between Atwood Center and Stewart Hall.

1973/07/01          David Sprague was appointed Vice President for Student Life and Development.

1973/07/31          Health Services moved into their new quarters in Hill Hall.

1974/02/21          1970s rockers Seals & Croft performed at Halenbeck Hall as part of Sno-Days.

1974/02/26          Actor Vincent Price spoke at Halenbeck Hall.

1974/03/11          Campus was struck by 75 separate “streaking” incidents on the first day of finals.

1974/04/02          Three Dog Night, with opener Styx, performed at Halenbeck Hall.

1974/04/05          Bob Keeshan, better known as Captain Kangaroo, appeared at the Education Building and
                    Garvey Commons.


St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1974/04/27          Robert H. Wick Science Building was dedicated. In 2005, the building was renamed in honor of
                    Robert H. Wick, who served as president of St. Cloud State from 1965 to 1971.

1974/05/20          Leonard Nimoy, better known as Mr. Spock from the Star Trek television show, appeared at
                    Halenbeck Hall for a presentation called “Star Trek Adventures.”

1974/09/18          David Duke, Grand Dragon for the Ku Klux Klan, spoke at Halenbeck Hall. Protestors
                    demonstrated outside during the event.

1974/10/04          The Chronicle reported that for the first time ever, a homecoming king would be crowned for
                    Homecoming.

1974/10/11          Comedian Bill Cosby performed at Halenbeck Hall as part of homecoming festivities.

1974/11/01          The Chronicle reported that construction of a tunnel from Sherburne Hall to Hill Hall, Case
                    Hall, and Garvey Commons began.

1975/01/27          1970s rocker Rare Earth played at Halenbeck Hall as part of Sno-Daze.

1975/03/18          The Chronicle reported that the new Administrative Services building was nearing completion.

1975/04/03          Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bob Seger, and Thin Lizzy performed at Halenbeck Hall.

1975/04/15          The Chronicle reported that John Tomlinson, vice president for academic affairs since 1972,
                    resigned to become president of Mesa College in Grand Junction, Colorado.

1975/04/15          The Chronicle reported that Theatre L’Homme Dieu, St. Cloud State’s summer theater in
                    Alexandria, Minnesota, would be closed for theatre renovations.

1975/05/16          The Chronicle reported that Lowell (Ted) Gillett, future interim president of St. Cloud State,
                    was named acting vice president for academic affairs, effective July 1.

1975/08/01          The name of the school changed from St. Cloud State College to St. Cloud State University.

1975/09/24          The former Kiehle Library, now the Kiehle Visual Arts Center, was dedicated.

1975/09/30          Trumpter Dizzy Gillespie performed at Stewart Hall. Tickets for students were $2.

1975/09/30          The Chronicle reported that the $200,000 renovation of Eastman Hall was nearly complete.

1975/10/31          Effective December 1, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean, Warren Armstrong, became
                    the president of Eastern New Mexico University. Former St. Cloud State president, Robert
                    Wick, was named acting dean.

1975/11/14          The Chronicle featured an article on St. Cloud State junior and weightlifter Paul Ellering. In the
                    early 1980s, Ellering rose to fame as manager of professional wrestling’s tag team “The Road
                    Warriors.”

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1976/01/25          Singer Melissa Manchester performed at Halenbeck Hall. Tickets for students cost $2.

1976/01/30          The Chronicle reported that David Johnson, dean of arts and letters at East Stroudsburg State
                    College, was appointed as St. Cloud State’s vice president for academic affairs, effective, July 1.

1976/04/09          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State’s library was beginning to install metal strips in
                    books, activated when walking through the library’s gates, to reduce thefts.

1976/04/13          The Charlie Daniels Band performed at Halenbeck Hall.

1976/04/30          The Chronicle reported that the yearbook to be published in the spring was cancelled due to the
                    lack of interest.

1976/04/30          Rod Anfenson, St. Cloud State’s men’s athletic director for the past six years, resigned, effective
                    July 1.

1976/05/05          The Administrative Services Building was dedicated.

1976/05/11          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State’s College of Business received accreditation from
                    the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), only the second school in
                    Minnesota to receive it.

1976/05/31          Beth Porter Garvey, St. Cloud State’s first dean of women, died in Highland Park, California, at
                    the age of 84. Garvey, who the Garvey Commons was named in honor of, served at St. Cloud
                    State from 1928 to 1953.

1976/06/09          The Chronicle reported that Louise Johnson, associate dean in the College of Liberal Arts and
                    Sciences, was appointed dean, effective July 1.

1976/06/09          The Chronicle reported that Gary Hays, vice president for academic affairs at St. Cloud State
                    between 1966 and 1968, was appointed chancellor for the state university system, effective July
                    1.

1976/07/07          The Chronicle reported that men’s basketball coach, Noel Olson, was appointed as the
                    university’s men’s athletic director.

1976/07/14          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State purchased eight acres near Halenbeck Hall from
                    Northern States Power (NSP) for $118,000.

1976/09/08          St. Cloud State students studied for the first time at Alnwick Castle in northern England.

1976/09/24          Leon and Mary Russell performed at Halenbeck Hall.

1976/12/01          Comedian Bob Hope performed at Halenbeck Hall for a crowd of 3500.

1977                Stewart Hall Auditorium, now Ritsche Auditorium, underwent a much needed renovation.



St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1977/01/07          The Chronicle reported that Robert Wick, former St. Cloud State president, was named acting
                    vice president for university relations, replacing Terry Montgomery. Montgomery took a leave
                    of absence to serve in the Minnesota state governor’s office.

1977/02/08          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State president Charles Graham announced the
                    establishment of the department of Quantitative Methods and Information (QMIS) for the
                    upcoming fall quarter.

1977/03/18          UTVS premiered its first all news broadcast.

1977/03/27          Rockers Kansas, with opening act Cheap Trick, performed at Halenbeck Hall in front of 4800
                    people.

1977/03/28          The University Archives was established by St. Cloud State president Charles Graham. Marie
                    Elsen was named the first university archivist.

1977/04/15          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State alum John Berling was appointed new dean of
                    Learning Resources & Technology Services, effective, July 1. Berling replaced the retiring
                    Luther Brown.

1977/04/27          1960s activist Allen Ginsberg read poetry at the Coffeehouse Apolcalypse.

1977/05/06          The Chronicle reported that former St. Cloud State football player John “the Comet”
                    Kimbrough, was drafted in the third round of the NFL draft by the Buffalo Bills.

1977/10/07          The Chronicle reported that due to the dormitories being filled to capacity, students were being
                    housed in the Germain Hotel in downtown St. Cloud as well as Carol Hall.

1977/10/19          Rocks retrieved from the moon by the Apollo missions, loaned to the university by NASA, were
                    put on display at the Math and Science Center

1978/01/06          Students participated in the March of Dimes 24 hour dance marathon in Atwood Memorial
                    Center.

1978/01/14          St. Cloud State president Charles Graham was “roasted” at Newman Center.

1978/02/10          The Chronicle reported that an office paper recycling program began on campus.

1978/04/27          Journalist Geraldo Rivera, co-host for ‘Good Morning America’, spoke at Halenbeck Hall.

1978/07/01          The Major Events Council and the Atwood Board of Governors merged to become the
                    University Programming Board.

1978/08/04          The last tower on the Northern States Power plant south of Halenbeck Hall was knocked down.

1978/10/16          Senator Edward Kennedy appeared at St. Cloud State to support the reelection of U.S. senator
                    from Minnesota and former governor Wendell Anderson.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1978/10/22          Rockers Hall & Oates appeared at Halenbeck Hall. Tickets were $4 for students and $5.50 for
                    the public.

1978/10/24          The Chronicle reported that Alpha Phi lost its national charter. The group was unsure if they
                    could regain membership to the national sorority.

1978/12/12          The Chronicle reported that for the second year in a row, the President’s Christmas tree in
                    Atwood was stolen and held for ransom.

1979/05/08          Professional wrestling came to Halenbeck Hall, featuring Greg Gagne, Billy Robinson, former
                    St. Cloud State student Paul Ellering, and future Minnesota governor Jesse “The Body” Ventura.

1979/07/19          St. Cloud State wrestler Jerry Schmitz won a silver medal at the recent Pan American games
                    held in Puerto Rico.

1979/08/08          Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the major addition to Halenbeck Hall.

1979/09/11          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State alum and former football Keith Nord earned a roster
                    spot on the Minnesota Vikings.

1979/10/19          The Chronicle reported that a new social fraternity appeared on campus, Delta Sigma Phi.

1979/11/06          The Minnesota Fillies, a women’s professional basketball team in the newly established
                    Women’s Basketball League (WBL), played a game at Halenbeck Hall.

1980/03/14          St. Cloud State’s annual trivia contest began. The Playboys won the 55 hour contest.

1980/04/15          David Johnson, vice president for academic affairs, 3 month term ended as acting president
                    when St. Cloud State president Charles Graham returned from a leave of absence.

1980/06/26          The Chronicle reported that two St. Cloud State baseball players, Bob Hegman and Jim
                    Eisenreich, were drafted by professional baseball teams. Eisenreich was drafted by the
                    Minnesota Twins in the 17th round.

1980/09/05          The Chronicle reported that a new child care center for children of students opened on campus
                    in the Education Building. Cost was $1 per hour

1980/09/09          The Chronicle reported that the deli located in the basement of Shoemaker Hall was shuttered
                    permanently after thefts over the Labor Day weekend.

1980/09/16          The Chronicle reported that an "Anytime Teller" machine was installed at Atwood Memorial
                    Center, allowing customers of several local banks to withdraw or deposit money into their
                    accounts.

1980/10/13          Soft rockers Air Supply played before 3600 fans at Halenbeck Hall.




St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1980/10/28          St. Cloud State student Catherine Ann Johnson was murdered outside of the Newman Center.
                    Police arrested Charles Lee LaTourelle. LaTourelle would later be found guilty of murder.

1980/12/02          The new $5 million addition to Halenbeck Hall was dedicated.

1981/02/10          Noel Olson resigned after 12 years as St. Cloud State men’s basketball head coach.

1981/02/13          The Chronicle reported that the women’s gymnastics program was discontinued.

1981/04/06          Rosa Parks spoke at the first annual “Ethnic and Human Relations Award Lecture at Atwood
                    Ballroom.

1981/05/05          The Chronicle reported that two former St. Cloud State graduates signed contracts with NFL
                    teams. Dan Neubauer signed with the Dallas Cowboys, while Joe Robideau signed with the
                    Oakland Raiders.

1981/05/20          Charles Graham, president at St. Cloud State since 1971, was named president of Hamline
                    University. Lowell (Ted) Gillett would serve as acting president for one year.

1981/06/18          The Chronicle reported that Sam Skarich was named as the men’s basketball new head coach.

1981/07/23          The Chronicle reported that AFSCME employees statewide, including those at St. Cloud State,
                    were on strike.

1981/11/07          St. Cloud State celebrated “Keith Nord Day” followed by a victory over the Bemidji State
                    football team. Before playing professionally with the Minnesota Vikings, Keith Nord played for
                    the St. Cloud State football team in the 1970s.

1982                The School of Business MBA program was accredited.

1982/01/08          The Chronicle reported that CATALOG ONLINE, an electronic card catalog, was replacing the
                    traditional card catalog.

1982/01/19          Former US presidential candidate, George McGovern, spoke at Atwood Ballroom.

1982/03/24          Sung Won Son was named St. Cloud State’s new president. Son resigned before he ever took
                    office.
1982/04/20          The Chronicle reported that Twin Cities rockers, The Suburbs, played Atwood Ballroom. The
                    Replacements opened.

1982/05/12          Lowell (Ted) Gillett, acting president at St. Cloud State, was named president of Bemidji State
                    University.

1982/06/30          The Chronicle reported that Sports Information Director Robert Olson had resigned and Michael
                    Schroeder, a sportswriter at the St. Cloud Times, was hired to replace him.

1982/08/01          Wallace Watson began his term as dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Science.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1982/08/01          Brendan McDonald began his term as president of St. Cloud State. A graduate of St. Cloud State
                    in 1954, McDonald became the fourth alum to serve as president.

1982/10/02          The St. Cloud State Athletic Hall of Fame inducted its first two members: Edward Colletti, and
                    Louis Fillippi.

1982/10/06          Future US senator and Minnesota state auditor candidate Paul Wellstone spoke at St. Cloud
                    State at Atwood Center. Wellstone was running for elected office for the first time.

1982/10/20          Football coach Mike Simpson announced his resignation, effective at the end of the football
                    season. Simpson coached Husky football for 11 years.

1982/10/26          All-Star Wrestling came to Halenbeck Hall, featuring Andre the Giant, Jerry Blackwell, Larry
                    “The Ax” Henning and others as part of the main event battle royal.

1982/11/06          The Charlie Daniels Band played to a near capacity crowd at Halenbeck Hall.

1982/12/21          The Newman Terrace Pizza restaurant, located at the Newman Center, closed after 11 years of
                    business.

1983/01/06          Noel Martin was named the new St. Cloud State football coach.

1983/02/26          President Brendan McDonald was inaugurated as St. Cloud State’s 17th president.

1983/03/18          The Chronicle reported that the Office of Admissions and Records changed its name to the
                    Office of Records and Registration.

1983/03/25          KVSC-FM sponsored “E.T. – Extra Trivia”, a 54 hour trivia contest.

1983/05/20          Opened in 1958, the Thomas J. Gray Campus Laboratory School closed. The building would
                    later open as the Engineering and Computing Center.

1983/07/15          David Johnson, Vice President for Academic Affairs since 1976, resigned.

1983/09/10          First year St. Cloud State football coach Noel Martin led the Huskies to victory by defeating St.
                    John’s at Selke Field, ending a nine year losing streak to the Johnnies.

1983/09/22          Journalist Hunter S. Thompson spoke to a capacity crowd at Atwood Ballroom.

1983/10/20          Tau Kappa Epsilon sponsored the first annual Airband Rock Festival, held at Atwood Ballroom.

1983/11/06          Halenbeck Hall hosted All-Star wrestling featuring Mad Dog Vachon, Andre the Giant, Jerry
                    Blackwell, the Sheik, and Jack Lanza before 2000 fans.

1983/11/20          The St. Cloud State football team was defeated by the Moorhead State University, 21-20, at the
                    Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis.


St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1984                St. Cloud State and Akita University in Japan become sister schools.

1984/01/25          St. Cloud State basketball coach Sam Skarich suddenly resigns. Assistant coach Kevin Schlagel
                    was named interim head coach.

1984/03/16          The Chronicle reported that reorganization starting in the fall of 1984 of the five existing
                    colleges at St. Cloud State: Business, Education, Fine Arts and Humanities, Science and
                    Technology, and Social Sciences.

1984/03/16          Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the new bridge at 10th Street South over the
                    Mississippi River.

1984/04/23          Charlie Basch, St. Cloud State hockey coach for 16 seasons, resigned. John Perpich was named
                    as interim coach for the coming season.

1984/04/27          The Chronicle reported that Stephen Weber was named the new vice-president for academic
                    affairs at St. Cloud State, effective July 1, 1984.

1984/09/04          Morris Kurtz was appointed the new men’s athletic director, replacing Noel Anderson, who left
                    St. Cloud State to become commissioner of the North Central Conference.

1984/09/11          The Chronicle reported that the pedestrian bridge near Engineering and Computing Center over
                    University Avenue to Halenbeck Hall was to open in the next few weeks.

1984/09/18          The Chronicle reported that the St. Cloud State marching band was back after an absence of 18
                    years.

1984/09/26          Fire heavily damaged Theta Chi’s house at 105 4th Avenue South.

1984/10/08          Talk show host Phil Donahue spoke at Halenbeck Hall.

1985                The new Tenth Street bridge was dedicated. It replaced the previous bridge which stood for 90
                    years.

1985/01/01          Anne Abicht was appointed St. Cloud State’s sports information director, replacing Mike
                    Schoreder. Abicht was the first female appointed to the position.

1985/01/10          Dorothy Simpson was appointed acting Vice President for University Relations, a position
                    vacant since Terry Montgomery left in 1982.

1985/03/29          The Chronicle reported that new women’s softball coach Sue Becker was beginning her first
                    season at St. Cloud State.

1985/04/01          The Reverend Jesse Jackson spoke at Halenbeck Hall as part of his tour to rally farmers.

1985/06/19          The Chronicle reported that Don Sikkink was appointed dean of the College of Fine Arts and
                    Humanities, while Raymond Merritt was appointed dean of the College of Social Sciences.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1985/07             As part of the city’s Wheels, Wings, and Water Festival, Reba McEntire performed at Stewart
                    Hall
1985/09/06          The Chronicle reported that the Engineering and Computing Center (ECC) was undergoing a $3
                    million renovation.

1985/09/06          The Chronicle reported that the men’s golf team had a new head coach: N.B. Nelson.

1985/09/17          The Chronicle reported that Nancy Knop was now head coach of the women’s cross country
                    team.

1985/09/17          The new University Avenue bridge opened, replacing the old 10th Street Bridge.

1985/10/01          The Chronicle did a story on Ralph Heimdahl, a 1930 graduate of St. Cloud State, was an
                    animator at Disney in the 1930s, doing work on such films as Fantasia, Snow White, Pinnochio,
                    Bambi, and Dumbo. Heimdahl is better known for drawing the Bugs Bunny comic strip, a spin
                    off of the cartoon, from the 1940s until the 1970s.

1986/01/21          The St. Cloud State men’s basketball team was ranked #1 in the nation in a Division II poll.

1986/02/07          The Chronicle reported that two electronic information boards were installed outside of Atwood
                    Memorial Center and the Performing Arts Center.

1986/02/07          The Chronicle reported that the first annual medallion hunt, part of Winter Week activities, had
                    begun.

1986/02/19          Musician Don McLean, best known for his song “American Pie,” performed at Stewart Hall.

1986/04/07          St. Cloud State men’s hockey head coach, John Perpich, resigned to accept the head hockey job
                    at Ferris State in Michigan.

1986/05/02          Actor Don Knotts spoke at Stewart Hall.

1986/05/13          George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers played to 5,500 fans at Halenbeck Hall.

1986/05/28          Minnesotan and coach of the gold medal winning 1980 US Olympic hockey team Herb Brooks
                    was named coach of the St. Cloud State hockey team.

1986/09/12          The Engineering and Computing Center, which was the Thomas J. Gray Campus Laboratory
                    School until 1983, was dedicated.

1986/09/16          The Chronicle reported that Scott Ergen was the new coach of the men’s cross country team,
                    taking over from Bob Waxlax.

1986/10/07          The Chronicle reported that future St. Cloud mayor Dave Kleis recently produced a mock
                    documentary on cow tipping.




St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1986/10/19          Actor Ed Asner appeared at Atwood Center to spur political change in the upcoming election.


1986/11/01          Larry Linville, who played Frank Burns on the television series “M*A*S*H”, appeared at
                    Stewart Hall.

1986/12/05          Herb Brooks won his debut as St. Cloud States’ men’s hockey coach, defeating Bemidji State 5-
                    1 in Bemidji.

1987/03/17          The Chronicle reported that Garvey Common’s new addition was being built.

1987/03/21          The St. Cloud men’s hockey team took third place in the Division III Final Four hockey
                    tournament, defeating Bemidji State 6-4. The Huskies lost the night before to Oswego State, 5-2.

1987/04/23          Herb Brooks left the St. Cloud State men’s hockey team after one season, becoming the 14th
                    coach of the NHL’s Minnesota North Stars.

1987/06/30          Craig Dahl was named head coach of the St. Cloud State men’s hockey team, succeeding Herb
                    Brooks.

1987/07/29          The Chronicle reported that James Kelly was named dean of the College of Business.

1987/08/05          The Chronicle reported that Doug Naylor was named the new St. Cloud State men’s swimming
                    and diving coach.

1987/10/03          St. Cloud State played its first Division I men’s hockey game in its history, losing 6-0 to the
                    University of Minnesota Golden Gophers at the Hall of Fame game in Eveleth, Minnesota.

1987/10/09          Atwood Memorial Center celebrated 20 years of service to campus.

1987/10/25          St. Cloud State students celebrated the Minnesota Twins’ World Series victory over the St.
                    Louis Cardinals.

1987/11/13          Lucy Cadwell, who taught science and geography at St. Cloud State from 1924 to 1966, passed
                    away.

1987/11/14          Elizabeth Dole, former Secretary of Transportation and wife of Bob Dole, spoke at Atwood
                    Memorial Center at a conference addressing problems facing Minnesota women.

1987/11/20          Ann Marie Mickelson, a junior at St. Cloud State, was crowned Miss Deaf Minnesota.

1987/12/15          The Chronicle reported that first year wrestling coach Bob Boeck had begun the season.

1988/02/06          The San Diego Chicken entertained the crowd at the St. Cloud State – University of North
                    Dakota basketball game at Halenbeck Hall.

1988/02/18          Illinois senator Paul Simon spoke to a capacity crowd at Atwood Memorial Center.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1988/04/19          Stephen Weber, Vice President of Academic Affairs, announced his resignation, accepting the
                    presidency at the State University of New York – Oswego.

1988/07/20          The Chronicle reported that Bernard Oliver was named dean of the College of Education.

1988/08/10          The Chronicle reported that Annette Pedersen was named Special Assistant to the President,
                    replacing Robert Becker.

1988/10/08          The New Jersey-based rock band, the Smithereens, led by frontman Pat DiNizio, played at
                    Halenbeck Hall.

1988/10/15          Homecoming activities turned violent as participants rioted in the streets near campus.

1988/11/10          The Chronicle reported that construction on the National Hockey Center was on schedule for a
                    December 1989 opening.

1988/11/15          The Chronicle reported that the “Scores” computer virus struck several computers at the
                    Engineering and Computing Center, the first time a virus has been present on campus.

1989/04/25          The Chronicle reported that Michael Connaughton was named the new dean of the College of
                    Fine Arts.

1989/04/25          The St. Cloud State hockey team was admitted to the Western Collegiate Hockey Conference
                    (WCHA), beginning in the 1990/91 season.

1989/05/03          St. Cloud State football coach Noel Martin headed to Japan for a series of football clinics with
                    Japanese coaches.

1989/05/07          The Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings football teams held a benefit basketball game at
                    Halenbeck Hall.

1989/07/01          Josephine Davis became the new Vice-President for Academic Affairs at St. Cloud State.

1989/08/16          The Chronicle reported that Riverview, built as a laboratory school in 1913 at St. Cloud State,
                    was named to the Minnesota’s National Register of Historic Places.

1989/08/28          KVSC-FM moved from their studios in Centennial Hall to new digs in the basement of Stewart
                    Hall.

1989/10/03          The Chronicle reported that alcohol was completely banned from St. Cloud State dormitories.

1989/10/21          At Selke Field, the St. Cloud State football team defeated North Dakota State University, the
                    reigning Division II champions in football, ending NDSU’s winning streak at 21 games.

1989/11/03          After a 8.5 million dollar renovation, Stewart Hall was rededicated.

1989/11/04          Rockers Cheap Trick performed at Halenbeck Hall. The Gear Daddies were the opening act.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1989/11/10          The Chronicle reported on future St. Cloud mayor Dave Kleis, an alum of St. Cloud State, who
                    had recently campaigned for mayor.

1989/11/14          The Chronicle moved its offices from Atwood Memorial Center to Stewart Hall.

1989/12/16          The National Hockey Center opened its doors with St. Cloud State defeating Northern Michigan
                    University 5-4.

1990/01/20          The newly opened National Hockey Center was dedicated.

1990/04/04          Professional fisherman Babe Winkleman gave a demonstration at Halenbeck Hall on how to
                    catch large bass and walleye fish.

1990/04/20          The Chronicle reported that Rick Goeb was named head coach of the wrestling team.

1990/06/20          The Chronicle reported that Dennis Nunes was named dean of the College of Graduate Studies
                    while G. Richard Hogan was appointed dean of the College of Science and Technology.

1990/09/24          The Winnipeg Jets defeated the Minnesota North Stars at the National Hockey Center, 5-1, in a
                    NHL preseason game.

1990/10/12          The men’s hockey team tied the University of Minnesota Gopher hockey team, 3-3, in St. Cloud
                    State’s first game as a full member of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA). The
                    game was played at the National Hockey Center.

1990/10/15          St. Cloud State president Brendan McDonald left for a month long sabbatical in Europe. Vice
                    president for academic affairs, Josephine Davis, served as acting president.

1990/10/16          Author W.P. Kinsella visited St. Cloud State as a writer-in-residence. Kinsella wrote Shoeless
                    Joe from which the film Field Of Dreams was based.

1990/10/24          1960s activist Timothy Leary and Watergate figure G. Gordon Liddy debated at the Stewart Hall
                    Auditorium.

1990/10/30          The Chronicle reported that a drive to construct a new library at St. Cloud State was being
                    considered at the state level.

1990/12/18          The Chronicle reported that change would no longer be accepted in the library’s copy machines.
                    Those that needed copies would have to purchase a copy card.

1991/02/04          Author Maya Angelou spoke at the Atwood Ballroom.

1991/06/19          The Chronicle reported that College of Education dean, Bernard Oliver, resigned and accepted a
                    position at Washington State University.




St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1991/06/19          The Chronicle reported that Terrence MacTaggart, an alum and former administrator at St.
                    Cloud State, was appointed chancellor of the Minnesota state university system, effective
                    August 19.

1991/07/03          The Chronicle reported that Josephine Davis, vice president for academic affairs, resigned to
                    become the president of York College in Queens, NY. Barb Gracheck was named interim vice
                    president for academic affairs.

1991/08/07          The Chronicle reported that Owen Hagen was named interim dean of the College of Education,
                    replacing Bernard Oliver who left St. Cloud State.

1992/07/28          Robert Bess was named interim president of St. Cloud State, and served until 1995.

1993/10/22          The Chronicle reported the addition to the Business Building was proceeding and scheduled for
                    opening for the 1994 spring quarter.

1994/03/05          The ice rink at the National Hockey Center was named “The Brendan J. McDonald Ice Rink” in
                    honor of Brendan McDonald’s service to St. Cloud State.

1995/04/29          The new wing on the Business Building was dedicated.

1995/07/01          Bruce Grube began his term as president of St. Cloud State. Grube served until 1999.

1997/09/29          David Johnson, coach of the first women’s Nordic ski team, held an organizational meeting at
                    Halenbeck Hall.

1997/10/02          The Chronicle reported that part of the Quarry in Atwood Memorial Center was renamed the
                    “Worldwide Web and Telnet Lounge,” receiving an upgrade of Mac computers.

1997/10/04          The Granite City Classic and Fitness America Pageant, a body building competition, was held at
                    Ritsche Auditorium.

1997/10/16          The Chronicle reported that Husky Hankies were being sold by the Public Relations Students
                    Society of America to bolster school spirit during homecoming.

1997/10/20          The Chronicle reported that student Moses Reyes was planning to publish a yearbook for
                    campus, the first after many years of absence.

1997/11/13          The Chronicle reported that Kevin Schlagel was beginning the season as interim head coach of
                    the St. Cloud State men’s basketball team. He would later be named permanent head coach.

1997/12/18          The Wallflowers headlined a concert at Halenbeck Hall, drawing over 6,000 people to campus.

1998/02/05          The Chronicle reported that Sherwood Reid, director of Admissions since 1966, would retire in
                    the summer of 1998.

1998/09/02          Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the James W. Miller Learning Resource Center.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

1998/10/08          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State University was investigating changing the name of
                    the school to Minnesota State University, St. Cloud.

1998/10/08          The Chronicle reported that the 1997/98 yearbook was nearing completion. A yearbook had not
                    been published in many years.

1998/11/06          The St. Cloud State women’s hockey team played its first game ever, beating St. Mary’s College
                    4-2.

1999/01/20          Construction was halted at the site of the new library when human bones were unearthed by
                    workers.

1999/03/18          The Chronicle reported that Bruce Grube, president of St. Cloud State, resigned effective June
                    30, 1999.

1999/03/18          The Chronicle reported that St. Cloud State football coach Noel Martin would not return for the
                    1999 season.


1999/06/17          The Chronicle reported that Randy Hedberg was named the new St. Cloud State football coach.

1999/07/01          Suzanne Williams, Vice President for Academic Affairs, started her one year appointment as
                    interim president at St. Cloud State.

1999/09/07          The Chronicle reported that the College of Business was renamed G. R. Herberger College of
                    Business.

1999/09/07          The Chronicle reported that the Husky mascot was redesigned.

1999/10/10          Minneapolis rockers Semisonic played Halenbeck Hall.

1999/10/26          Atwood Rec Center held a grand reopening after recent renovations.

1999/10/28          The Chronicle reported that KVSC-FM was now broadcasting its signal via the Internet.

2000/01/24          The Chronicle reported that the new St. Cloud State library was to be named after local
                    businessman James Miller.

2000/02/15          “Weird” Al Yankovic performed at Halenbeck Hall.

2000/03/25          St. Cloud State made its second appearance in the men’s hockey NCAA tournament, losing to
                    Boston University in Albany, NY, 5-3.

2000/04/09          The British rock band Bush performed at Halenbeck Hall. Moby opened.

2000/06/16          Stewart Hall’s Ritsche Auditorium hosted the Miss Minnesota pageant.


St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

2000/07/01          Roy Saigo began his service as St. Cloud State president. He served until 2007.

2000/09/13          Arctic explorer Will Steger spoke at Ritsche Auditorium.

2000/09/18          The Chronicle reported that the new women’s soccer head coach Stephanie McGuiness was
                    preparing for her first season at St. Cloud State.

2000/09/25          The Chronicle reported that the new head coach for men’s and women’s golf teams, Judy
                    Larkin, was making good progress.

2000/09/28          The Chronicle reported that the new head coach for men’s and women’s cross country teams,
                    Seth Mischke, was settling in for his first season of competition.

2000/10/21          James W. Miller Learning Resources Center was dedicated. The building was named after James
                    W. Miller, a prominent St. Cloud businessman and friend of St. Cloud State.

2000/10/23          The Chronicle reported that the Lindgren Child Care Center celebrated its 20th anniversary.

2000/12/01          Jakob Dylan and his band, the Wallflowers, played at Halenbeck Hall.

2001/01/11          Riverview’s cupola was removed from the building for repairs.

2001/01/23          Folk singer Arlo Guthrie performed at Ritsche Auditorium.

2001/01/25          The Chronicle reported that the restaurant, Bravo Burritos, a staple for the university
                    community, closed its doors at its downtown location.

2001/02/05          The rock band Everclear, with opening act Nickelback, performed in front of a crowd of 5000 at
                    Halenbeck Hall.

2001/02/26          The Chronicle reported that the vice president for academic affaris and interim president during
                    the 1999/2000 academic year, Suzanne Williams, was retiring.

2001/03/17          The St. Cloud State men’s hockey team defeated the University of North Dakota in the WCHA
                    Final Five championship game in overtime, 6-5, winning the Broadmoor Trophy.

2001/04/05          The Chronicle reported that Gene Gilchrist, vice president for administrative affairs, resigned,
                    effective May 1, to become assistant to the president at the University of Louisville in Kentucky.

2001/05/18          The Norman C. Skalicky Plaza, located at 10th Street South and 5th Avenue South, was
                    dedicated.

2001/06/19          Ruth Meyer began appointment as interim vice president of academic affairs, replacing Suzanne
                    Williams who retired.

2001/07/12          The Chronicle reported that the $700,000 renovation of Halenbeck Hall, including a new gym
                    floor and bleachers, was completed.

St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009
Date                Information

2001/08/09          The Chronicle reported that Shawn Teal, vice president for university advancement, resigned,
                    effective October 1, to serve as executive to the president at St. John’s University.

2001/10/01          St. Cloud State employee who were members of the AFSCME and MAPE labor unions, went on
                    strike. An agreement was reached two weeks later.

2003/10/18          The last homecoming football game was played at Selke Field, with St. Cloud State facing off
                    against the University of South Dakota

2004/09/02          Football returned to campus when Husky Stadium opened. St. Cloud State defeated Minnesota –
                    Crookston in football, 49-14.

2004/12             The student recreation center opened its doors.




St. Cloud State University Archives – August 2009