1. To be able to define what a behavioral
adaptation is and describe the different
types of behavioral adaptations.
2. To provide different variations of
behavioral adaptations and explain how
they enable an organism to survive in a
What is a behavioral
• Activities that help an organism survive
– The activities can be learned or instinctive
Types of Behavioral Adaptations
• Migration – Behavioral adaptation that involves
animals moving from one region to another and
then back again.
• Some reasons that animals might migrate
– Better climate
– Better food
– Safe place to live
– Safe place to raise offspring
– Reproduction purposes
• Hibernation- is a deep sleep in which an
animal's body temperature drops to about the
temperature of the environment. Body activities,
such as heartbeat and breathing are slowed
causing the animal to need very little
food. Animals that hibernate are:
• Society - this is a behavioral adaptation
that involves a group of animals of the
same species that live and work together
in an organized way.
• Protection – Some organisms develop
certain behaviors to protect themselves
Opossum – play dead to avoid predators
Puffer Fish – a puffer fish will blow itself up to
make it appear much larger to a predator
Porcupine – a porcupine will raise its quills
and lash out at the predator
• Some animals develop behavior
adaptations to attract mates for
Peacocks – Display feathers to attract female
Hippopotamus – Fight each other each year
for the attention of a female mate
Hummingbird – These bird display several
different behaviors that include males
dancing, diving, and singing for the females.
• Plant behaviors are generally referred to
as tropisms (how plants respond to stimuli)
Phototropism – an plants response to light
Geotropism or Gravitropism – a plants
response to gravity
Hydrotropism – A plants response to water
What type of tropism to you see?
What is the stimuli causing the
tree bend upward?
What external force is causing
the roots to grow downward?
• In your journals, create a new entry for
“Behavioral Adaptation Video Clips”
• Watch the different video clips and record
the following for each clip: (answer in
Identify the behavioral adaptation shown.
Explain how the behavioral adaptation helps
the organism survive in their environment.
Behavioral Adaptation Video Clips
Whale - http://www.howstuffworks.com/whale.htm/printable
Plants - http://www.nasa.gov/mov/196822main_057_Tropisms_of_Plants.mov
Zebra - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISNFkRkSxI
A variety of animals - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeCd-
Peacock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbKZEgKghng