Hop Heritage Trail Guide.p65 by fdh56iuoui


									Madison County Historical Society
      Hop Fest Committee

             Corey Alter
         Barb Chamberlain           Madison County
        Harold Chamberlain
             Kate Fisher              Hop Heritage
         Michael Flanagan
           Sydney Loftus                Trail Guide
          Florence Meakin
            Jack Meakin
            Tom O’Shea
          Patrick Traynor
           Cindy Whipple
           Fred Whipple
             Dot Willsey

    Barbara Giambastiani Bartlett
             Al Bullard
              Ron Neff
      Michael A. Tomlan, Ph.D
          Property Owners

          Sydney L. Loftus
            Dot Willsey
            Nell Ziegler
         Madison County Bicentennial
             Hop Heritage Trail
     Inaugural Tour: Sunday, September 17, 2006
    The Hop Heritage Trail is one of four Madison County Bicentennial
Heritage Trails funded by a Central New York Community Foundation
grant, fundraisers by the Architecture and Preservation Team and the
Madison County Historical Society, and private donations for the
county’s 200th birthday in 2006.

     In 1983, under the direction of the Executive Director Barbara
Giambastiani Bartlett, the Madison County Historical Society sponsored
a study with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and His-
toric Preservation to identify and evaluate hop houses in Central New
York. Dr. Michael A. Tomlan, Historic Preservation Planning at Cornell
University, completed the study that led to his comprehensive text,
Tinged with Gold: Hop Culture in the United States in 1992. We recom-
mend his book to those who seek more information. Tomlan was named
King of the 3rd Madison County Hop Fest in 1998, and Bartlett will be
recognized as the Queen of the 11th Hop Fest in 2006.
     For 40 years, Al Bullard of Otsego County has been collecting hop
artifacts, locating hop structures, and presenting information on hop
heritage. Bullard was named King of the 7th Hop Fest in 2002.
     Ronald E. Neff, past president of the Town of Madison Historical
Society, keeps close tabs on the history of his hometown and has shared
information for this trail.
     Since 1996, owners of structures that are vestiges of the hop in-
dustry have contributed to preserving this agricultural history by shar-
ing information, time, support, and documents, and allowing visitation
to their properties. To these people, we owe a great debt of gratitude
for stewardship of this heritage so important to our county.
     The text herein comes primarily from works by Bartlett, Bullard,
Neff, Tomlan, and the owners of hop structures. To these sources, we
credit the information on the Hop Heritage of Madison County.
     Please respect the property of the private owners. Do not tres-
pass. During self-guided tours. Appreciate the site from your auto or
from the roadside.                          - Nell Ziegler and Dot Willsey
      “Those were the days when “the hop was king,” and the
                                                                                                 Madison County Hop Fest
      whole countryside was one great hop yard, and beauti-
      ful. It was the hop that built many of the big farmhouses,                                        City of Oneida                             21
      now abandoned. Many a farmer made the value of his                               Madison County Historical Society 435 Main Street
      farm out of a single good year’s crop.”                                        Oneida, NY 13421 • 315-363-4136 • www.mchs1900.org
                                           James Fenimore Cooper in                     The Madison County Historical Society created the Madison County
                         Reminiscences of Mid-Victorian Cooperstown                Hop Fest in 1996 to raise awareness of hop culture in the county and to
                                                                                   raise funds. Each year, the Fest includes presentations, demonstra-

I n the 1880s, New York State produced 80 percent of the nation’s
  hops, and most of those hops came from Madison, Oneida, and Otsego
counties. Madison led hop production in the 1820s, but within two
                                                                                   tions, and exhibits on the history of hops. In addition, there is a show-
                                                                                   ing of the video When Hop Was King, representation by local historical
                                                                                   and preservation organizations, musical entertainment, a guided coach
decades, the production center                                                     tour of hop related sites, a Hop Shop, and a sampling of microbrews for
moved to Otsego County.                                                            visitors to indulge their palate. “Bouckville Olde,” rhizomes are also
    Hops were the first cash                                                       available in the Hop Shop for those interested in growing their own
crop of the region. Madison                                                        Madison County Hops.
County was “one great hop yard”                                                        Those who share the spirit of John Alden Haight, who was honored
for a century. Downy mildew,                                                       as the first Hop Fest King for his passion for sharing his knowledge of
aphids, richer soil in the North-                                                  hops, are bestowed the prestigious title of Hop Royalty.
west, Prohibition, decreases in
                                                                                       The Northeast Hop Alliance (NeHA), a broad based coalition estab-
hop prices, and the less specu-
                                                                                   lished to explore the feasibility of reestablishing commercial, specialty
lative dairy farming industry
                                                                                   hop production in New York State and the Northeast, provides demon-
contributed to the decline of
                                                                                   strations and information on growing and harvesting hops during the
hop farming in the county.
                                                                                   Hop Fest. NeHA grew from activities at the Annual Hop Fest through
Madison County’s last crop of
                                                                                   coordinated efforts of Morrisville State College and Cornell University.
hops was dried in Lenox Furnace
in 1953.                                                                               The Annual Madison County Hop Fest is held the Saturday follow-
                                                                                   ing the Madison County Historical Society’s Annual Craft Days in Sep-
    The stem of the hop plant is
                                                                                   tember, which is held the weekend after Labor Day.
a bine (as in woodbine). A bine
twines itself, whereas a vine has
tendrils that attach the stem to a
pole as it grows. The hop bine
follows the sun around a pole.
The bine can grow as much as 12
                                      Hop Plants drawn by Belle Hodgson, c. 1890
inches a day in June, and will
                                      (From Tinged with Gold: Hop Culture in the
grow between 20 and 30 feet in        United States by Michael A. Tomlan, Ph.D.)
one season after it is established.
    Picking hops from the stems is labor-intensive. Hop growers hired
local pickers and transported pickers from the cities during late August
and early September. The provisions needed to house and feed these
pickers were a boost to the local economy, and recreation by pickers
after long days in the fields established social customs.
                                                                                   Artwork Created by Sennah Loftus, Masters Graduate of Syracuse
                                                                                   University’s School of Architecture and Project Architect for Voith
                                                                                   and MacTavish Architects in Philadelphia.
               Ball Common Hop House                                                              HOP HOUSES
                        Town of Lincoln                      19               The New England hop farmers first looked to England for models of
            6681 Tuttle Road • Canastota, NY 13032                        kilns to dry hops. Farmers kept up with developments abroad by reading
                                                                          agricultural literature. Although there was information on constructing
                          Darrin Ball                                     the sophisticated oast house, the early North American kilns were simple.
    The hop house is behind the house and across the small stream. This
common hop house has a fieldstone and cut stone foundation. The fram-         The first hops to be dried in a charcoal-fired kiln were cured in
ing is hand-hewn, and                                                     Massachusetts in 1791. The next year, many more hop growers had
the exterior is finished in                                               built kilns. Remnants of New England kilns do not exist. The kilns of
board and batten. The                                                     Central New York State architecturally represent the 19th and early
furnace room has a                                                        20th C. hop industry in the Northeast.
wood floor, lath-and-                                                         Early drying arrangements used open fires. Earlier kilns with fur-
plaster walls, and a                                                      naces stood alone, but by the 1850s, fires were enclosed in stoves and
brick chimney with a                                                      progressive farmers had adopted a frame structure to cover the major
stovepipe hole. The                                                       areas of processing hops—the hop house. A hop house has four sections:
drying room has a slat-                                                   1. Stove room: The heat
ted floor that has been                                                      for drying the hops
covered over. The stor-                                                      came from a room
age room floor is two                                                        with a high ceiling
feet below the floor of                                                      and a stove below. A
the drying room. No chute presently exists between the store room            system of stove
and the press room.                                                          pipes heated the
           Stewart Common Hop House                                          slatted floor above.

                          City of Oneida
                                                              20             Vent windows at
                                                                             ground level and
  Fair Hill, Inc. • 1390 Fairview Avenue • Oneida, NY 13421                  cowls in the roof
                                                                             assisted in providing
    Bill Stewart’s                                                           proper drafts.
great grandfather,                                                        2. Drying room: Lath
John, grew hops                                                              and plaster often
and strawberries                                                             covered the drying       Diagram of a hop house.

on this site. Bill’s                                                         room walls. The hops (From Tinged with Gold: Hop Culture in the United
grandfather,                                                                 were placed 12 to 24 States by Michael A. Tomlan, Ph.D.)
George, had a dairy                                                          inches deep on a fabric—usually burlap, muslin, or cotton—that
operation and also                                                           covered the slatted floor of the drying room, which was located
grew hops.                                                                   above the stove room. The hops were turned and moved to ensure
                                                                             they dried evenly over several hours without scorching or burn-
    Evidence of the                                                          ing.
four processing                                                           3. Storeroom: Workers shoveled the dried hops into the storeroom
rooms remains in                                                             to cool, and then pushed the cooled hops through a hole in the
the structure.                                                               floor into the baling room below.
                                                                          4. Press room: A hop press usually stood in the baling room below the
                                                                             hole in the store room floor. The hops came through the shoot hole
                                                                             directly into the fabric-lined press where they were bundled into
                                                                             bales, then shipped worldwide.
           Bittersweet: The Story of                                               Eisaman Common Hop House
        Hop Culture in Central New York                         1                             Town of Lincoln                         18
      Madison County Historical Society Hop Exhibit                             6925 South Court Street • Canastota, NY 13032
    435 Main Street • Oneida, NY 13421 • 315-363-4136                                          John Eisaman
                   www.mchs1900.org                                            This common hop house shows clearly the four processing rooms, as
            9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday - Friday                             well as remnants of the last crop of hops dried in the kiln in 1953. At
                                                                         that time, the
                   and by appointment                                    price was so
    The hop exhibit in the carriage barn at Cottage Lawn, headquarters
                                                                         low that Keith
of the Madison County Historical Society, is an excellent introduction
                                                                         Eisaman’s fa-
for the Hop Heritage Trail. Bittersweet: The Story of Hop Culture in
                                                                         ther did not
Central New York was developed in 1997 by former MCHS director
                                                                         sell the hops he
Tom Kernan with funds from New York State Assemblyman Bill Magee.
                                                                         had dried.
     The 2-room
                                                                             The field
exhibit intro-
                                                                         across    the
duces the hop in-
                                                                         road was the
dustry, explains
                                                                         last commer-
tools and pro-
                                                                         cial hop yard
cesses, displays
                                                                         in Madison
equipment and
includes When
Hop Was King, a                                                              Keith Eisaman was crowned King of the Second Annual Madison
video developed                                                          County Hop Fest in 1997. He participated in the Hop Fest every year as
by Kernan with                                                           a speaker and a host. His accounts of the last days of hop farming were
funds from the                                                           featured in the video When Hop Was King. Keith reminisced about how
NYS Council                                                              “Mother and Dad” and their two sons would drive around the area on
on Humani-                                                               summer Sundays, checking out the status of other hop yards. He also
ties, the CNY                                                            remarks in the video that it was amazing that hop farmers did not kill
Community                                                                themselves with all the sprays and dustings used to try to thwart the
Arts Council,                                                            Downey Mildew in the dying days of hop farming.
and         the                                                              Keith loved Hop Fest, and the Hop Fest loved Keith. Very sadly,
C h a p m a n                                                            Keith died two days before the Tenth Annual Hop Fest in 2005.
Charitable Cor-
poration. The
film has been
shown on the
History Chan-
    The Madison County Historical Society, the Northeast Hop Alli-
ance, the New York State Barn Coalition and private donors and volun-
teers worked with the New York State Agricultural Society’s Daniel
Parrish Witter Agricultural Museum in 2003 to develop and host a hop
exhibit at the New York State Fair.
                      Cody Hop House                                                         Marshall Oast House
                      Town of Fenner                          16                  Town of Stockbridge • 5667 Valley Mills Road             2
        Fenner Road • Cazenovia NY 13035 • Ken Cody                              Munnsville NY 13409 • Ron and Holly Marshall
    Kendall Cody built this large hop house in 1884, and most of the
interior remains the same. Cody’s grandson, Ken, operates a dairy             This conical-
farm on the property now.                                                 roofed draft hop kiln
    The kiln is in the                                                    with a circular lime-
rear, away from the road                                                  stone oast and a high
and the small embank-                                                     English cowl has
ment. The kiln is 20 feet                                                 been lovingly cared
wide and 60 feet long.                                                    for by the Marshall
The foundation is field-                                                  Family.
stone and cut stone, with                                                     George Potter
two vents. The framing                                                    purchased this farm
has sawn heavy timbers                                                    in 1860 and had the
and stud construction.                                                    hop kiln built in
The furnace room chim-                                                    1867 at a cost of
ney is brick with one                                                     $840.20. When Fred
stovepipe hole.                                                           Marshall purchased
    The drying floor has been unmodified. The slats (1/2” x 2” wide) on   the farm in 1893, hops were the only income for the farm. Pickers came
the floor are one inch apart and are covered with burlap. Evidence of a   from Cleveland, NY, and earned 25 cents per box—along with room
ventilator cowl remains.                                                  and board.
                                                                              The pole pullers earned $1.25 per day.
           Fanning Common Hop House
                    Town of Smithfield                        17              The last crop of hops grown on the farm was in 1911. It sold for 11
                                                                          cents per pound, which was below the cost of growing the crop. George
         5000 Peterboro Road • Morrisville NY 13408                       Potter’s accounting book shows that in 1864, one bushel of hop roots
                      Leland Fanning                                      sold for 75 cents. (History provided by the Marshall Family)
   This building has many easily visible evidences of its use as a com-
mon hop house.
    The stone foundation
has evidence of vents.
The furnace room still
has lath and plaster, and
the storage room has a
chute hole that leads to
the press room.
                            Foothill Hops                                                       Stearns / Forward Hop House
                       Town of Stockbridge                          3                                       Town of Nelson
                5024 NYS 46 • Munnsville NY 13049                                                3568 Stearns Road • Erieville, NY 13061
                          315-495-6217                                                                      Carl D. Stearns
                      Larry and Kate Fisher                                              This hop house was originally located on the south side of Scenic
                                                                                     Route 20, just east of the village of Madison. The hop house belonged to
    Foothill Hops is a family-owned business established in 2001 to                  G.T. Forward, one of the principal hop growers in the Madison-
preserve and promote the hop growing agricultural heritage of Madi-                  Bouckville
son County. Foothill Hops consists of approximately ten acres of land.               area. (The For-
The Fishers planted a                                                                ward name is
small field of hops in                                                               stenciled on a
2001 and expanded                                                                    post.) Owner
their hop fields in                                                                  and preserva-
subsequent years to                                                                  tion architect
the present size of                                                                  Carl Stearns
nearly two acres with                                                                carefully relo-
over a dozen varieties                                                               cated the struc-
of hops.                                                                             ture in the mid-
                                                                                     1990s.      The
     Foothill     Hops                                                               cobblestones
welcomes visitors                                                                    were numbered
throughout the year –                                                                and relocated
to walk or work the                                                                  accordingly. This hop house features a cobblestone kiln and a timber-
fields. In April grub-                                                               frame processing space.
bing hop rhizomes
                         Larry Fisher sprays hops growing on a trellis at Foothill
and planting new hills Hops in Munnsville.                                               Carl Stearns presents “The Evolution of a Hop House” each year at
begins. In May the                                                                   the Annual Madison County Hop Fest. Stearns was crowned the fifth
trellis is strung and the foot high hop plants are trained to the trellis            King of the Annual Hop Fest in 2000 for his hop preservation efforts.
strings. Rapid growth in June, July, and August requires watering, weed-             He was further honored by the New York State Barn Coalition for his
ing, thinning, and maintenance as the hops reach heights of 20 feet or               rural preservation efforts.
more. Harvest time comes in late August and early September. The hop
bines are cut from the trellis and the blossoms are hand-picked and
dried using methods similar to those of the 19th century. The leaf hops
are then pressed, vacuum-sealed and frozen for freshness.
    Foothill Hops have been sold to herbalists and home brewers and
have inspired a line of hop products available only from Foothill Hops.
Products include hop soaps, beer, hop shampoo and conditioner, hop
nuts, hop tea, hop lemonade, beer-can chicken rub, Italian seasoning,
beer and hop mustard, and hop pillows. There is hop-inspired art, in-
cluding stained glass, pottery, textiles, and Christmas ornaments. In
late 2006, Foothill Hops will open a gift shop at the hop yard.
      Parfitt / Dodge Common Hop House                                                     Shwartz/ Borden/Haight
            Town of Hamilton • 2927 Smith Road                      13                      Double Pyramidal Kiln                          4
           Hamilton, NY 13346 • Chris & Meg Parfitt                                        Town of Hamilton • Borden Road
     This common kiln has been altered through the years, but the
tell-tale foundation vents and tall configuration add it to the architec-                Earlville NY 13332 • Eve Ann Shwartz
tural vestiges of
the once-prosper-                                                                This is the former family farm of John Alden Haight. The Madison
ous hop industry                                                            County Hop Fest King and Queen chosen each year are those people who
along        Smith                                                          most closely emulate
Road. The barn                                                              John Alden Haight’s
dates to 1869.                                                              passion for honoring
    The map from                                                            the heritage of hops
D. G. Beers’ 1875                                                           in Madison County.
“Atlas of Madison                                                           Haight was honored
County,New York”                                                            as the first Hop King
shows a structure                                                           of the first Hop Fest in
at the location                                                             1996. He taught hor-
(H.H. Crittendem)                                                           ticulture at Morris-
(Steven J. Tuttle                                                           ville State College for
August 29, 05)                                                              24 years. The college has created a scholarship in his name.

            Grey / Gulch Pyramidal Kiln                        14
     Town of Eaton • Gulch Road • Morrisville NY 13408
                       Kevin Luther
                                                                             Lipsey/Drover Hill Double Pyramidal Kiln
                                                                                        Town of Hamilton • 1014 Earlville Road
    This single pyramidal-roofed kiln with an attached barn, is the si-
lent remains of a prosperous hop and dairy farm operated by the grand-                           Earlville NY 13332
parents of the                                                                                    William Lipsey
owner.                                                                          The property is now part of Drover Hill Farms, owned by Bill Lipsey.
    Descen-                                                                 Volunteers from the Madison County Historical Society and students
dants of the                                                                from Historic Preservation at Cornell made emergency repairs to the roof
farming fam-                                                                in November 1999.
ily have do-                                                                     In 2000, the
nated       the                                                             owner received a New
kiln, which is                                                              York State Barn Re-
being moved                                                                 habilitation and Pres-
to the Heri-                                                                ervation Grant. Also
tage Park now                                                               that year, the Lipsey
under devel-                                                                double kiln became
opment. The                                                                 the first “poster barn”
park will high-                                                             to be used on the annual Hop Fest posters. Bill Lipsey has planted hops
light hop cul-                                                              in front of the structure and in 2003 took one pole of hops to the New
ture and will commemorate the ancestors who used the hop house.             York State Fair for exhibit at the Daniel Parrish Witter Agricultural
    1840 Cobblestone House, Barn & Hop                                              Rugg -Tuttle Pyramidal Hop House
                  House                                                                              Town of Eaton
              Town of Madison • 3822 Canal Road                  6                           2697 Smith Road • Hamilton, NY 13346             11
                                                                                                Linda Rugg & Steve Tuttle
              Bouckville, NY 13310 • Jerry Schmidt
                                                                                 This hop house dates to
   James and Silas Howard built Cobblestone House between 1840 and
                                                                             1869. The map from D. G.
1842. The stones were laid in horizontal rows with straight horizontal
                                                                             Beers 1875 “Atlas of Madi-
mortar joints. The huge stones, one large one on the front porch and
                                                                             son County, New York”
                                                                             shows a structure at the lo-
                                                                             cation. (H.H. Crittenden)
                                                                             (Steven J. Tuttle August 29,
                                                                                 Early inspiration for the
                                                                             pyramidal hop kiln probably
                                                                             came from the sophisticated design of English malt kilns. (Tomlan) It is
                                                                             not know when growers in this area adopted the pyramidal roof form to
                                                                             assist the draft. Tomlan found one source that indicates the pyramidal
                                                                             roof was adopted near Waterville about 1850.

                                                                                                  Merkt Hop House                         12
                                                                               Town of Eaton • 2881 Smith Road • Hamilton, NY 13346
three on the side porch, were brought by flat boats on the canal from the
quarry at Oriskany Falls. James had a canal boat named the “Madison”                                Keith Merkt
and probably brought the large corner stones and the one above the front         Early kilns were usually banked for easy access to load the hops to
door for the house on that boat.                                             the drying floor. This framed large common kiln used the bank access to
                                                                             the drying room. The
    Stairs lead upstairs to a large room where hop pickers slept during
                                                                             drying room has a slat-
hop picking season in late August. The hop house still stands to the north
                                                                             ted floor with 1½-
of the Cobblestone House.
                                                                             inch spaces between
                                                                             the slats to allow the
                                                                             heat to dry the hops,
                                                                             which workers laid on
                                                                             a fabric that covered
                                                                             the slats.
                                                                                 The foundation is
                                                                             made of fieldstone and
                                                                             cut stone, and has the
                                                                             typical four vents. The
                                                                             framing is stud construction and a clapboard exterior. The gable roof
                                                                             shows evidence of an earlier ventilator. The furnace room has a wood
                                                                             floor and a brick chimney. The storage room floor is three feet below
                                                                             the floor of the drying room floor, with three chutes to pass dried hops
                                                                             to the press room.
               Ye Olde Landmark Tavern                                                            Coolidge Gravesite
         6722 Scenic NYS Rt 20 • Bouckville, NY 13310            10                              Town of Madison                            7
           www.yeoldelandmark.com 315-893-1810                                    Town of Madison Cemetery • Indian Opening Road
                        Steve Hengst                                                           Bouckville, NY 13310
   The Landmark Tavern was built by the Coolidge family between 1849             James Coolidge came from Stow, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
and 1851.                                                                    to Bouckville, New York, in 1806. Coolidge became determined to buy
   Lewis T. Coe and H. D. Brockett bought the building in 1896. After        a good farm, and did so in
Coe died Brockett sold it to Charles M. Coe, the son of Lewis. In 1940,      1808. He bought the Niles
Robert H. Palmiter bought the Landmark for his antique business and          farm, which once took the
                                                                             Madison County Agricultural
                                                                             Society’s premium of a silver
                                                                             cup (Neff).
                                                                                 That same year, Coolidge
                                                                             planted the first recorded com-
                                                                             mercial hop yard in New York
                                                                             State with root stock from
                                                                             Middlesex. In the fall of 1816,
                                                                             Coolidge took the first New
                                                                             York hops to the New York City
                                                                             Market. In 1817-18, hops sold
                                                                             for $1,000 a ton.
                                                                                  The first white settlement
                                                                             in the area was at Indian Open-
                                                                             ing in 1792. The first church
                                                                             building was erected in 1801
                                                                             near the cemetery. It is in that
                                                                             historic cemetery visitors can find the gravestone of James D. Coolidge.
home. After his death in 1968, the Hengst family bought the special          The modest gravesite gives little indication of the impact Coolidge had
structure and opened the Landmark Tavern.                                    on the history of our state before his death in 1844 at the age of 83
                                                                             years and 6 months.
     In 2000, Ye Olde Landmark Tavern was placed on the State and
National Register of Historic Places. The New York State Preservation-
ist (Spring 2001) described the Coolidge Stores Building
    “as an outstanding example of cobblestone construction and as
associated with the development of Bouckville as an important center
of hop culture in Madison County. Distinguished by its unconventional
wrap-around façade and hexagonal cupola, the building’s design reflects
elements of the Octagon style and is detailed with elements derived from
both the Greek and Gothic Revival styles. Built during the initial boom in
Central New York’s hop culture by the family credited with introducing
the crop to the area, the Coolidge Stores Building expresses Bouckville’s
mid-19th century prosperity as a focal point for the export of hops by
turnpike and canal.”
                     Coolidge Hop Farm                                            Chenango Canal Cottage Museum
             Town of Madison • Deerhill Farms                     8                        Chenango Canal Association                         9
       3631 NYS 12B • Bouckville, NY 13310 • Steve Dow                          Scenic Rt 20 & Canal Road • Bouckville, NY 13310

    The farm James D.
Coolidge bought in 1808 is
a half mile southeast of the
hamlet of Bouckville. The
hop yard where Coolidge
planted New York’s first
commercial hops lies
where the main field of the
Madison-Bouckville An-
tique Show takes place
each year.
    The cobblestone oast
house with a later frame
kiln was built on the farm
after Coolidge’s death. The
kiln was razed in the late
                                                                              Photo courtesy of Diane Van Slyke, President of the Chenango Canal
     Coolidge’s agricultural and business talents put Bouckville in the
center of the county’s activities. Solomon Root and Ezra Leland were
soon raising more hops than Coolidge. The Woodhull, Forward,                   The Chenango Canal Association developed and maintains the Cot-
Edgartons, Philips Brockett and Livermore families were Bouckville fami-   tage Museum, with displays and information on the Chenango Canal
lies that had hop yards.                                                   and the history of Bouckville. The Chenango Canal Association hosts
The Cherry Valley Turnpike was chartered in 1803. When the turnpike        activities throughout the year.
was completed in 1811, the Hamlet of Madison came into existence.              Hops was a cash crop that provided profit for everyone from the
The church and John Lucas’ store at Indian Opening were moved to           growers and harvesters to the shippers, ‘canalers’, wholesalers, and
Madison to be on the turnpike.                                             retailers. The Chenango Canal served as a transportation route for hops
                                                                           shipments during the “heyday” of hops.
                                                                              The following hand-written note was kept by a local resident in
                                                                                   Mr. White,
                                                                                   Sir, a part of your hops were shipped last evening; the
                                                                               balance of them will be put on board of a boat which will be at
                                                                               Solsville about 9 o’clock this morning. If you have any in bales
                                                                               at home, by taking them down immediately, you can get them
                                                                               on board this morning.
                                                                                   Respectfully yours,
                                                                                                                                      A.B. Coe
                                                                                                  Madison, Monday morning, Sept. 28, 1866

To top