G r amm ar & Vo c abul ary
Oxford English Grammar Course NEW
Basic to advanced (a1–c2)
Michael swan and catherine walter
Michael Swan and Catherine Walter’s tried and tested methodology • Well-known and award-winning authors.
takes students step by step to grammar success. Pronunciation for
grammar CD-ROMs help students understand how grammar sounds,
• A proven methodology: a step-by-step approach with concise
explanations and plenty of practice of each grammar point.
and the website provides extra resources for class and home study.
• Tests, in the book and online, monitor progress.
■ Pronunciation for grammar CD-ROM with interactive exercises to
Step by step to grammar help students hear how grammar sounds, and to record and listen
success to their own voice.
■ Online downloadable tips, tests, and resources for teachers and
Know it Use it Say it interactive tests, games, and exercises for students.
• After Advanced level (published July 2011), students can progress
to Practical English Usage, 3rd edition, and Practical English Usage
Diagnostic Tests (see page 85).
Concise and clear explanations – exactly Exercises organized into two levels of Wide range of exercise types using
what you expect from these authors difficulty (Basic and Intermediate only) natural-sounding sentences
Illustrations, or a poem, cartoon, or Cartoons communicate a grammar
song demonstrate the grammar point point concisely – and with humour
G r amm ar & Voc abul ary
Pronunciation for grammar CD-ROM
Using the Pronunciation for grammar CD-ROM helps students World best-seller for
pronounce the grammar structures fluently. Interactive exercises 30 years
enable them to:
• Hear and say past forms of verbs. 2 million copies sold
• Hear where the stress falls in a sentence.
• Distinguish between strong and weak forms, and hear
• Recognize the difference in intonation between a question
and a statement. Practical English Usage
• Identify words that are run together. Third Edition
• Listen to the model, repeat, and record their own voice. interMediate to advanced
The world’s most trusted guide to problems in English.
A dictionary of problem points in the English language as
encountered by learners and their teachers. Common problems are
solved with practical, clear information in over 600 entries.
Online resources Practical English Usage
www.oup.com/elt/oxfordenglishgrammarcourse Diagnostic Tests
• Play games to practise specific grammar points. Upper-interMediate, advanced, and expert (B2–c2)
• Practise the grammar using the extra exercises. Michael swan and david Baker
• For teachers: download teaching notes, tests, lesson ideas, and Diagnostic tests at Upper-Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert levels
worksheets. to check students’ knowledge of key aspects of English grammar and
• Tests accompany Practical English Usage, Third Edition, and help
students identify the topics they need to study or revise.
• Answer keys refer students to the explanations in the relevant
sections of Practical English Usage.
Note: Practical English Usage Diagnostic Tests was formerly called
Oxford English Grammar Course
Basic with Answers CD-ROM Pack 978 0 19 442077 8 Practical English Usage
Basic without Answers CD-ROM Pack 978 0 19 442078 5 Paperback 978 0 19 442098 3
Intermediate with Answers CD-ROM Pack 978 0 19 442082 2 Hardback 978 0 19 442099 0
Intermediate without Answers CD-ROM Pack 978 0 19 442083 9 Practical English Usage Grammar Scan Pack 978 0 19 442356 4
Advanced with Answers Pack CD-ROM Pack tbc International Student’s Edition (only available in certain markets) 978 0 19 442096 9
Oxford English Grammar Course Basic and Intermediate levels are new Practical English Usage Diagnostic Tests 978 0 19 431143 4
editions of the popular The Good Grammar Book and How English Works.
G r amm ar & Vo c abul ary
Oxford Practice Grammar Oxford Living Grammar
Basic, interMediate, and advanced (a1–c2) Learn and practise grammar in context
norMan coe, Mark harrison, ken paterson (Basic) eleMentary, pre-interMediate, and interMediate (a1+–B1)
John eastwood (interMediate) ken paterson, Mark harrison, and norMan coe
GeorGe yUle (advanced)
A three-level series where students learn about grammar and when
A three-level grammar series with a tried and tested formula that gets to use it.
results: the right balance of explanation and practice, and regular testing.
• ‘Grammar in action’ sections explain when the grammar is typically
• Clear explanations, followed by practice exercises in the book, on used.
CD-ROM, and online.
• Exercises are contextualized to practise using grammar in everyday
• Regular review units and progress tests show where students need situations.
• ‘Word focus’ boxes highlight idiomatic expressions or words
• Varied activities encourage students to think about their answers, students might not know.
and the grammar. Context-Plus CD-ROMs at each level include:
• At Advanced level, authentic texts present grammar in context. ■ Interactive grammar exercises and ‘Word focus’ exercises.
• Exit tests ensure students are ready for the next level. ■ Listening and reading mazes where students choose what happens
Practice-Boost CD-ROMs in a dialogue or story.
■ Mixed-tense exercises practise different tenses in context to build ■ Listen and record so students can hear themselves participating in
confidence in writing and speaking. the listening mazes.
■ Dialogues, with the option for students to record their own voice, ■ Tests to check progress.
■ Error correction exercises help students analyze the language they
have practised and avoid common mistakes.
■ Test and Review sections review progress and identify where
students need more practice.
■ Links to free exam practice tests for PET, FCE, and IELTS at
• Diagnostic tests and extra practice tests.
• Listen and Speak exercises.
Lesson Plans and Worksheets
Basic and interMediate (a1–B2)
Ready-to-use lesson plans and photocopiable worksheets based on
the units from the Oxford Practice Grammar series provide practice and
Advanced Supplementary Exercises
Extra exercises for every page of grammar explanation in Oxford
Practice Grammar Advanced prepare students for CAE, CPE, TOEFL, and
other advanced-level exams.
Oxford Practice Grammar Basic Intermediate Advanced
Irregular Verb Spinner Without Key 978 019 431023 9 978 019 430910 3
Pack Practice-Boost CD-ROM Pack With Key 978 019 457978 0 978 019 457980 3 978 019 457982 7
Lesson Plans and Worksheets 978 019 457984 1 978 019 457989 6
Check irregular verbs and how to Practice-Boost CD-ROM Pack Without Key 978 019 457996 4 978 019 457994 0
say them. practice-Boost cd-roM Supplementary Exercises 978 019 457987 2
online practice test at Irregular Verb Spinner Pack (25 spinners) 978 019 457991 9
Oxford Living Grammar Elementary Pre-Intermediate Intermediate
website Student’s CD-ROM Pack 978 0 19 455704 7 978 0 19 455706 1 978 0 19 455708 5
G r amm ar & Voc abul ary
Oxford Word Skills
Highly Commended English-Speaking Union’s Duke of Edinburgh
English Language Book Award 2009
Basic, interMediate, and advanced
rUth Gairns and stUart redMan
Learn and practise English words Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
interMediate and advanced
A practical approach to learning and practising the words, phrases,
and lexical grammar students need to talk and write about important Now students can extend their word skills by seeing how idioms and
topics and to cope with everyday situations. phrasal verbs are used naturally in spoken and written English.
• Covers 2,000 words at each level, showing the meaning of each • Over 1,000 new idioms and phrasal verbs in each level.
word, how the word works in context, and the pronunciation. • 60 units organized into thematic modules such as ‘Thinking,
• Takes 20–30 minutes to work through the short explanations and learning, knowledge’ and ‘Communicating with people’.
complete the practice – ideal for class or self-study. • ‘About you’ or ‘About your country’ exercises give students the
• Organized into thematic modules, such as ‘Getting around’. opportunity to personalize new vocabulary.
• Each module explains what the student will be able to do at the end • Covers all the phrasal verbs students need to know for major exams.
of the unit. For example, ‘I can talk about university’. • Ideal for class or self study.
• ‘Test yourself’ cover card in every Oxford Word Skills Pack makes it
easy for students to ‘cover and check’ when learning the vocabulary.
Each level includes a Super-Skills CD-ROM with over 400
• Online tests, using a bank of questions so that the test is
different every time.
• Listen to any of the words in Oxford Word Skills and practise • Interactive exercises for each module.
saying them. • Downloadable flashcards, vocabulary calendar, learning
record, and mini phrasebook.
• Use the Notebook to save and print a personal list of words or
• Consolidate work from the Student’s Book with linked Oxford Word Skills Basic Intermediate Advanced
interactive exercises. Student’s Book and CD-ROM Pack 978 0 19 462003 1 978 0 19 462007 9 978 0 19 462011 6
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs 978 0 19 462012 3 978 0 19 462013 0
Diagrams, drawings, additional explanations
and photos illustrate and information using
the new vocabulary simple language
Spotlight boxes highlight
key items (frequently
confusable words, etc)
G r amm ar & Vo c abul ary
BeGinner to pre-interMediate (a1–a2)
New level, new resources,
new reasons to choose
Grammar Friends This tried and trusted gentle introduction
to English grammar is now even richer in
resources, with a new Starter level and more
BeGinner to pre-interMediate online support for students and teachers.
tiM ward and eileen flanniGan
• Scenes and situations put the grammar
A six-level grammar practice series with interactive CD-ROM for in context, with simple ‘grammar lessons’
primary pupils aged 6 to 12 which introduces grammatical concepts. which are easy for students to understand.
• Step-by-step grammar presentation and carefully graded practice • Controlled exercises give students practice
ensures steady progress. at getting the form right every time.
• Contexts and situations familiar to pupils from their everyday lives, • Class and pair activities and games
and from their coursebook, enable them to concentrate on the encourage students to speak.
grammar. • A Student’s Audio CD models
• Regular revision units give opportunities for extra practice and pronunciation with additional listening
consolidation. practice online.
■ Interactive Student’s CD-ROM with extra exercises and tests. ■ Interactive online resources for students
• Teacher’s Book with tips, answer keys, and tests. including games, exercises, and listening
• Use alongside any primary course. ■ Online Teacher’s notes with ideas for
additional activities, photocopiable
Units cover one to three Learning goals worksheets, and tests.
grammar points are always clear
The Grammar Lab
Winner English-Speaking Union’s Duke of Edinburgh Book Competition
BeGinner to interMediate
A three-level grammar series for children aged 9 to 12, to accompany
any elementary English course.
Lively characters, colour illustrations, clear and simple explanations,
and varied written and spoken activities help to make grammar fun
Illustrations support the exercises
and engage young learners
See also First Friends page 4
Family and Friends page 6
Grammar Friends Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 Level 6
Student’s Book with CD-ROM Pack 978 0 19 478012 4 978 0 19 478013 1 978 0 19 478014 8 978 0 19 478015 5 978 0 19 478016 2 978 0 19478017 9
Teacher’s Book 978 0 19 478006 3 978 0 19 478007 0 978 0 19 478008 7 978 0 19 478009 4 978 0 19 478010 0 978 0 19478011 7
Grammar, Third Edition Starter Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4
Student’s Book with Audio CD 978 019 443026 5 978 019 443033 3 978 019 443040 1 978 019 443047 0
Student’s Book (original edition) 978 019 431364 3
Grammar, Third Edition 1–3 available July 2011.
The Grammar Lab Level 1 Level 2 Level 3
Book 978 0 19 433015 2 978 0 19 433016 9 978 0 19 433017 6
Teacher’s Book 978 0 19 433019 0 978 0 19 433020 6 978 0 19 433022 0
Oxford Learner’s Grammar
G r amm ar & Voc abul ary/culture StudieS
interMediate to advanced (B1–c2) ALSO AVAILABLE
John eastwood View these titles online
The three components – reference book, See www.oup.com/elt
practice book, and CD-ROM – provide
everything that is needed for learning and
practising grammar in a flexible way.
Oxford Learner’s Pocket Grammar M
Winner British Council ELT Innovation Award
interMediate to advanced interMediate to advanced (B1–c2)
(B1–c2) scott thornBUry Word for Word
Based on corpus research, Natural Grammar
A Practical English Grammar
A pocket-sized reference shows how one hundred important English
grammar that makes revising keywords work, the phrases they generate, Test It, Fix It
and checking the key points of and the links they make. The emphasis is on
English quick and easy. Each of natural-sounding language with plenty of Grammar Sense
the 180 two-page units: practice exercises.
• Covers one grammar topic, explaining the
key points about how the grammar works, Oxford Guide to British and
and how to use it. American Culture
• Includes examples of correct usage, and Aspects of Britain and the USA
examples of common mistakes.
• Includes over 150 hints to help students Spotlight on Australia
sound more natural and fluent.
Gateway to Canada
Spotlight on the USA
Spotlight on Britain
for learners of English
interMediate to advanced (B1–c2)
Understand the country and its people in this
completely revised and updated edition.
• Historical and cultural background of British
Really Learn 100 Phrasal Verbs society and institutions, as well as the
Second Edition private daily life of the British people.
interMediate (B1) • Charts, graphs, extracts from popular fiction
A teach-yourself workbook on 100 essential and newspapers, etc. provide additional
phrasal verbs. information.
• Each page focuses on one verb – every • Questions at the end of each chapter
page follows the same format for ease of encourage analysis of the text and cross-
use. cultural comparison.
• Study the examples then check the • Illustrated with photographs.
meaning and grammar. • Workbook exercises encourage students
• Practise using each verb in the exercises. to think about cultural issues raised in the
book, to make comparisons with their own
• Build your vocabulary with the special culture, and to revise and reinforce the
sections on related nouns and adjectives,
book’s content and language.
synonyms, and opposites.
Regularly updated website with new
• Review pages bring groups of verbs ■
information and statistics plus useful links Oxford Learner’s Grammar Finder (Reference) & 978 0 19 437597 9
together for recycling and revision. Checker (CD-ROM)
to media and government websites.
• Reference key for answers, meanings, and Oxford Learner’s Grammar Builder (Practice) 978 0 19 437594.8
extra grammar tips.
Oxford Learner’s Pocket Grammar 978 0 19 433684 0
Really Learn 100 More Phrasal
Verbs Really Learn 100 Phrasal Verbs, Second Edition 978 0 19 431744 3
interMediate (B1) Really Learn 100 More Phrasal Verbs 978 0 19 431745 0
Really Learn 100 Phrasal Verbs for Really Learn 100 Phrasal Verbs for Business 978 0 19 431696 5
Natural Grammar 978 0 19 438624 1
Britain, Second Edition Student’s Book 978 0 19 430644 7
Britain, Second Edition Pack (with Workbook) 978 0 19 430647 8