Response to Crisis: Absolutism
II. Absolutism in Central and Eastern Europe
- After 30 Years war over _____________ States, of these __________ & _________
emerge great powers
A. The __________________
1. ______________ built a large standing army, w/ __________ men
2. General War Commissariat levy taxes and oversee growth; _______ (nobles) served as
3. 1701 his _____ takes over and becomes King _______________
B. The ____________________
1. Hapsburgs were Holy Roman Emperors, by 17th century started new empire in
___________ and __________ Europe
2. Lands in present day _______, _______ Republic, and Hungary- by 18th century had a
3. Monarchy never became Absolutist, remained a collection of lands held together by the
Hapsburgs. Each area had its own ______ and __________
III. Peter _____________
a. Ivan IV first ruler to take title _______ (Caesar)
b. Crushed the power of the nobles, or ___________, and expanded ______________; Ivan
c. Time of _____________ after him, _______________ new Czar
d. __________the Great most famous Romanov, Absolute and claimed the
________________ to rule
e. Visit west to try and _______________ Russia (army & navy) Borrow European _______
A. Military and Government___________________
1. Reorganize army, drafted for ___ years, ____________ standing army
2. Wanted to create a “________________”, a well organized community governed by law
B. Cultural ____________ and a ______________
1. First book of ____________, men had to ___________ & shorten ________, allowed
both sexes to mix for conversation
2. After defeating Swedes, St. Petersburg became his
“__________________________” to show Russia as a great state and a military
1. What 2 German states emerged as great powers after the thirty years war, how did Frederick
William grow and strengthen Prussia?
2. What happened to the original Hapsburg lands, where did they create their new empire, how where
these lands held together and what did each of them control?
3. Who ruled the Russian state in the 15th century, what was the title he took, what was the family
name for this man?
4. Who was one of the most prominent members of this family, where did he visit and why?
5. What was one of Peter’s first goals, what changes did he institute after his travels, what did he want
to make Russia into?