Molėtai Gymnasium English Project Virtual Class “The Rout Through Aukštaitija” Darba parengė: Andrius Pivoras 4z Vaida Stundytė 4i Vaida Pumputytė 4i Jurgita Tamulytė 4i Aušra Paškevičiūtė 4i The Rout Through Aukštaitija • Anykščiai district • Panevėţys district • Birţai district • Ignalina district • Aukštaitija National Park Anykščiai Panevėţys Birţai Ignalina Aukštaitijos nacionalinis parkas Anykščiai The town of Anykščiai is located at the confluence of The Šventoji and Anykšta rivers. In historical sour- ces this town was first mentioned in 1442. In 1516 it received the Magdeburg Rights. Today Anykščiai is a regional administrative centre. During the summer it’s picturesque surroundings of rivers, streams and lakes attract many visitors from surrounding areas and abroad. Anykščiai area is famous with various memo- rial places, defence mounds and other cultural sites. Places to visit: • The Puntukas Stone • A Horse Museum • J. Biliūnas’ birthplace • Granary of Antanas Baranauskas • A.Ţukauskas – Vienuolis’ House • “Siaurukas” railway • Light of Happiness Į pradţią The Puntukas Stone Puntukas is the second large stone in Lithuania. It was brought from Scandinavia by the glacier during the last glacial period 12-14 thousand years ago and left in a site of the present Anykščiai šilelis. This stone is 5,7 m high, 6,7m width, 6,9m long. It weights 265 t. Legend tells that a devil wanted to break the Anykščiai church with this stone, but a rooster crowed and the devil moved to hell, so the stone fell down and remained laying cut into the ground. A Horse Museum It was founded on June 10, 1978 on the initiative of professor of Lithuanian Agricultural academy P. Vasinauskas, (Niūronys village, tel. 8 381 51722). This Horse museum is designed to resemble horse-breeding history, visitors may look round philately exhibition, smith’s tools, see carts, wheels, ploughs collected from all over Lithuania. Every June a spors and ethnographic holiday “Bėk bėk, ţirgeli” is being held. J.Biliūnas birthplace The old farmstead of the Biliunai family was built before Jonas Biliunas’ (1879– 1907) birth. A two-end farmhouse, which is left there reminds about the writer’s babyhood and childhood. There is a small exposition in the former “stancija”with various memorial things – the modest furniture and household utensils: an old table, a bed, a dresser from the serfdom times, long benches along the walls, a towel-hanger with a linen towel, a dowry chest, a wardrobe, a spring of the cradle, a spinning wheel, a knitted tablecloth and a little table. Granary of Antanas Baranauskas Antanas Baranauskas was a bishop, poet, expert of linguistics, author of psalms. In the small granary built in 1826 he created his celebrated poem “Anykščių šilelis” (“Anykščiai pinewood”), that glorified beauty of Lithuania forest. Granary is the first memorial museum in Lithuania founded in 1927. Ancient things that belonged to the Baranauskai family are stored there. Antanas Ţukauskas-Vienuolis’ House Antanas Vienuolis – Ţukauskas (1882 –1957 ) – a classic writer an author of lots of novels, stories, short stories and legends. On the ground floor of the writer’s house there is a literature exposition that reflects the way of his life and creative work. On the first floor there are the writers memorial rooms with authentic furniture and other things of the Ţukauskai family. “Siaurukas” Railway Narrow railways were started to build in the end of the 19th century. At present this narrow railway carries passengers and transports quartz sand. In the renewed and well done up station of the narrow railway and the broad one, to look round the exhibition held to reveal the history of railways, to see an operating model of steam- engine, to cycle on rails. Panevėţys Panevėţys, the capital of Aukštaitija Ethnographic region, has been the fifth largest city in Lithuania for more than a century. The city by the River Nevėţis has brought up many well-known artists, writers, musicians. They make the name of the city famous in the world and are winners of various awards. Places to visit: • The Museum of Etnography • Art Gallery • International Ceremics Symposia • The Club of the Book Sign BITĖ • Photography Gallery • The St. Trinity Church • Centre of Studies of J.Miltinis Heritage Į pradţią The Museum of Etnography The Museum of Ethnography has accumulated huge historical and cultural heritage. There is also the Art Gallery which organizes about 20 different exhibitions every year. Music and literature evenings, lectures and discussions about culture and art research also take place here. The St.Trinity Church The first wooden church which belonged to the monks was constructed in 1727. In 1790 it burnt down and in 1803 a new stone church was built. It is of Classic style. Centre of studies of J.Miltinis Heritage Centre of Studies of Juozas Miltinis Heritage is the place where the Stage Director has spent his last years of life. The Centre preserves his huge library with 3 429 books and magazines, a rich collection of manuscripts, paintings, 109 compact tapes with the rehearsals of the Stage Director, video documents. Birţai The region of Birţai lies in the far north of Lithuania, approximately 20 kilometers from the Lithuanian – Latvian border. A wonderful destination for both the culture lover and the naturalist, the Birţai region is home to 110 cultural monuments, 17 lakes, 17 landscape preserves. Places to visit: • Duke Radvilas Palace • The Astravas Palace • The Birţai Museum • “Hole of the Cow” • St. John Baptist’s Church • The Linkenai Healt Resort • Places of birth of J.Bielinis, K.Binkis, B.Sruoga Į pradţią The Astravas Palace The Astravas Palace was built in 1862 by Duke Jonas Tiskevicius. The palace was ruined and later rebuilt many times, and in 1930 it was adapted to the practical needs of the plant. Now it is owned by AB Siulas. Over 500 employees currently work at the plant. The Radvilas Palace Duke Radvilas palace, one of the city's most interesting attractions. The palace houses the Birţai regional museum with its diverse exhibitions on regional art, history and nature. The palace is also the site of many concerts and other cultural events and is the home of the comfortable Birţai library. The Birţai Museum The Birţai museum lies within the Beautifully restored Duke Radvilas palace, a building long steeped in Birzai history. In 1586, Kristupas Radvilas Perkunas ordered a fortress to be built on the site to protect the northern border of Lithuania. Construction was completed in 1589, at which time Birzai was granted rights of self- government and thus became the first private town in Lithuania. Over the followingcenturies, the castle was destroyed several times, but it wasalways quickly rebuilt. Finally, in 1704, invading Swedes blew it up for good -- or until 1988, that is, when the museum was built up from the ruins. “The hole of the cow” Near the village of Kirkilai, a gypsy drowned with his horse and wagon in a sudden sinkhole. In another famous case, a farmer awoke to find his cow missing. The cow was s wallowed up by the now famous “Hole of the Cow.” Driving from Pabirţė to Birţai, turn left at the sign “Karves Ola” – cow hole. Remember that sink holes are open 24 hours a day, so watch your step -- especially If you’ve already visited the breweries. St.John Bapptist’s Church Among Birţai’s other architectural points of interest are its lovely churches. St. John the Baptist’s Church, completed in 1861, is noted for the unity of its interior and exterior forms and is mentioned in B. Kviklys’ Churches of Lithuania as one of the nation’s most beautiful churches. Ignalina The Ignalina region was populated during the Stone Age, with remnats from early camps discovered throughout the countryside. The city is surrounded by lakes and topped with the forested Vilkakalnis Hill, upon which are Tv and fire towers. Small roads and trails connect the lakes and nearby forests. Several different environ- mental regions make Ignalina very interesting to people wanting to observe various fauna and flora. Places to visit: • Apiculture Museum in Stripeikiai village • Ladakalnis Hill • Ginučiai castle Mound • Etnographical Villages • Works of carpenters on the shores of Lūšiai lake • Ginučiai Water-Mill • Aukštaitijos Nacional Park Į pradţią Apiculture Museum in Stripeikiai The museum was opened in 1984. The museum staff can tell you all. Museum visitors are able to see bees that live in hives and make honeycombs. To that purpose there are two glass hives. Through this there is a perfect chance to see how bees work inside the hives. A whole hive of bees is accommodated inside the apian deity Babilas sculpture. You can try honey that is produced at the museum - But always remember the fact that 200 bees have to work all day to get one spoon of honey. Visitors can buy and try honey out of honeycomb bits here. By the museum’s gate a bearded man, a carver of wooden souvenirs, usually sits by a table and demonstrates various whistles to the children. Ladakalnis Hill Ladakalnis is a hill, 175 metres high above the sea level, standing in Šiliniškiai ridge, which like a rough dragon's back extends to both sides. It is supposed that on this mountain sacrifices to the ancient goddess Lada, the mother of the universe were given. A perfect view opens from the top of the hill. It is possible to see 6 lakes. Ladakalnis is announced as a geomorphological natural monument. From the top of Ladakalnis 10-12 thousand hectares of panorama open themselves to the watcher. Picturesque Ginučiai surroundings with an ancient mound and a devil's shelter, watermill, are very close to Ladakalnis. A bit further lie the Linkmenas and Asėkas lakes which are a bliss for body and soul. On the other side one can admire the beautiful lakes: Ūkojas. Alksnas, Asalnai and Lūšiai. They seem like three silver bowls sparkling on green velvet. Ginučiai castle mound The archaeological monument from the 9-12centuries. There is a suggestion that the castle, which had stood there, is described in the Livonia Chronicles as the Linkmenys Castle by H.Vartbergė in 1373. The stone on the top of the mound marks the visit of the Lithuanian president Antanas Smetona in 1934. Works of carpenters on the shores of Lūšiai lake On the Lūšiai lake bank by the village Meironys you can find 16 wooden sculptures. In 1977 folk artists monumentalized the beauty of nature and the legends of Ignalina region in these sculptures. P.Petronis that comes from Ignalina made a sculpture called "Laumių pasaka". It tell the story how dangerous it is for men to go swimming in the lake after midnight. Witches will come out of the water and torture them in a strange way - tickling. A few sculptures picture devils. People say that one of them still lives in the nearby lake Tarama. Ginučiai Water-Mill Ginučiai watermill is almost 200 years old and it is the only one in the park that still has authentic equipment. The watermill worked till 1968. It produced flour as well as elecrtricity. The watermill is protected as a 19th century technical monument. There is an exposition on the 1st floor telling about the bread production of former times. Rooms for tourists have been arranged in the former miller's apartments . Aukštaitijos Nacionalinis Parkas The park was established with the aim of preserving the unique ecosystem of the uper reaches of the river Ţeimena at the juncture of three different kinds of landscape districts and the area’s natural and cultural heritage. The nature of Aukštaitija National Park is abundant with lakes and forests. Many archeological and architectural monuments can be seen there. Tourists like this national park, because of many free time activities offered. Places to visit: • The Church and the Bell tower of Palūšė • Etnographic villages • Stripeikiai village museum • The Ladakalnis Hill • Ginučiai Water-Mill Į pradţią The Church of Palūšė St. Joseph church with the belfry, built in the 18th century, is a well-known architectural place in Palūšė. The church contains valuable folk art works such as pictures painted on boards, carvings, brassy bells decorated with baroque ornaments and made in 1752 and 1772. Images of Palūšė church and the belfry were printed on 1 litas note. This church was built in 1750. Priest Juozapas Baziliauskas built a wooden church on the land that he inherited. It is said that the church was built only with the help of an axe. The octagonal belfry reminding old castle's watchtower is the only such in Lithuania. The church and the belfry were announced architectural monuments. Etnographic villages Salos II village together with Šuminai, Strazdai, Vaišnoriškės and Varniškės II are classed as "scattered villages" and are located in Aukštaitija National Park territory. All the etnographical villages are like museums in the open. Mėčionys village is of "street type" and is located in the river Dysna valley. The village was founded in the middle of the 16th century after the “Valakai reform”. Till the end of the 17th century Mečionys belonged to Dysna estate. From1692 till 1841 the estate together with the village was ruled by the Benedictine monastery of Vilnius. Some of the farmsteads in the village are onesided one-rowed or two-rowed and some are doubled. Senosios Katinautiškės is a "scattered village". In the 17th century this territory belonged to the nobles Pacai and was in Dysna estate confines. The name of the village was first mentioned in 1775. A torrential stream called Svyla runs through this village. Kukutėliai is of "street type" and is located by the lake Erzvėtas. It was built in the 17th century. Buildings have regional folk features.