Docstoc

Nickerson Dedication press release 15Apr2003

Document Sample
Nickerson Dedication press release 15Apr2003 Powered By Docstoc
					                                PRESS RELEASE
          Nickerson Walking Woods Preserve to be Dedicated on April 26
              for more information, contact Bob Thayer 508 226-1312

The Attleboro Land Trust will be holding a dedication ceremony on Saturday, April 26,
at 1:00 pm to celebrate the donation of 48 acres of land by Martha L. Nickerson. The
land trust plans to create public walking trails on the property, which will be named the
Nickerson Walking Woods Preserve.

The dedication, which is open to the public, will include a tour of the property, which
abuts Nickerson's home at 191 Richardson Avenue. Refreshments will be served. Since
parking is limited, car pooling to the event is encouraged. In case of severe bad weather,
the event will be held at 1:00 pm on Sunday, April 27.

Nickerson Walking Woods Preserve is a former dairy farm which was purchased by
Nickerson's parents, Franklin G. and Martha O. Nickerson in 1918. The property
includes two fields which were formerly used to grow corn. The property extends to the
Norton line, where it is crossed by electrical power lines; it adjoins conservation land
owned by the town of Norton and by the Land Preservation Society of Norton.

The Ten Mile River Watershed Alliance holds a conservation restriction on the property
to provide an additional measure of protection. The conservation restriction describes in
detail what activities will be permitted on the property.

Nickerson has taught school in Attleboro and abroad. Although retired, she still
volunteers her time to the Attleboro school libraries. Stones from the Nickerson farm
were used to build the stone wall on the wing of Attleboro High School where the
superintendent's office is now located.

The Attleboro Land Trust now holds 268 acres of conservation land in the city, including
the Colman Reservation (donated in 1992), the Anthony Lawrence Wildlife Preserve
(donated in 1994), the Phil and Ginny Leach Wildlife Sanctuary (donated in 1996), the
Larson Woodland (donated in 1997), the Vaughan Memorial Forest (donated in 1999),
and Uriah's Marsh (donated in 2000). Volunteers are always needed to help maintain
these properties. For more information about the Attleboro Land Trust, contact President
Bob Thayer at 508 226-1312.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:20
posted:4/24/2011
language:English
pages:1