● The average tenure of present employees of the Boathouse is 3-10 years
● The Boathouse is the highest revenue generating concessionaire of the more
than 400 operators in the Parks Department system; channeling much needed
dollars back to the City.
● Local 6 no longer represents a single stand alone restaurant in New York City.
Facts about the frivolous nature of the Local 6 charges:
● Local 6 has filed an unfair labor practice charge against the Boathouse for having
a holiday party that was better than past years and having a special children’s
holiday party this year.
● Local 6 contends that 14 employees were fired. However they failed to mention
that these employees were let go because the Boathouse opted to have a full
time staff and reduced the employees based upon seniority. The workers who
were let go were on-call, part-time banquet staff, some of whom worked as little
1-2 days a week and 300 hours a year. (Please note that 2 of the 14 have since
been rehired as full time seasonal banquet employees.)
● Local 6 has failed to mention that current Boathouse employees have filed
charges against the union that include harassment and intimidation.
History of NLRB filings against the Boathouse:
● Prior to Dean Poll’s involvement with Tavern on the Green there had been ZERO
NLRB charges filed against him since he took over the Boathouse in 2000.
● Dean Poll was awarded the concession at Tavern on The Green in August of
2009; within two weeks Local 6 had filed charges against Dean Poll and the
● Since the break down in negotiations with Local 6 over Tavern on the Green
there have been 30 unsubstantiated NLRB charges filed against the Boathouse.