depaul University Office of Financial Aid

Document Sample
depaul University Office of Financial Aid Powered By Docstoc
					          DePaul University | Office of Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about using your Veteran’s
Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits (GI Bill) at DePaul University

*****Changes to the Post-911 GI Bill have been signed into Law: see question #16
                     on this FAQ for more information******

1) Where can I find more information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

   The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008/Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) - This
   program provides comprehensive educational benefits to service members and veterans who served
   after September 11, 2001. Some of its features include:
       • Payment toward your tuition and fees, in an amount not to exceed the most expensive in-
           state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education (capped at $17,500 as of
           August 1, 2011). The tuition payment is applied directly to your tuition account at DePaul
       • Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing (paid directly to you)
       • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year (paid directly to you.)

   Note: DePaul participates in the Yellow Ribbon program for qualified veterans using Post-911
   benefits at DePaul.

   More details about the Post-911 GI Bill are available on the Veteran’s Affairs website at

   Note that important changes are coming to the Post-911 GI Bill program as of August 1, 2011.
   Please check the VA updates at for the most current
   information, or read Question #16 of this FAQ.

2) Is DePaul a Yellow-Ribbon School? How does Yellow-Ribbon work at DePaul?

   DePaul University is honored to participate in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Yellow
   Program. The Yellow-Ribbon program is designed to supplement those Veterans covered at 100%
   under the Post-911 GI Bill, as follows: the Post-911 GI Bill provides a tuition benefit up to the highest
   public in-state undergraduate tuition rate (capped at $17,500 effective August 1, 2011.) For veterans
   who qualify under Yellow Ribbon, DePaul (in partnership with VA) assists with the remaining tuition
   gap. Amounts vary based on tuition rates, hours enrolled, academic program, and funding. If you are
   eligible for Yellow Ribbon benefits, we encourage you contact the Office of Financial Aid to learn
   more about using Yellow Ribbon benefits for your academic pursuit.

3) What types of Federal VA Educational Benefits Programs can be used at DePaul?

   The Office of Financial Aid coordinates processing for all major Federal Veteran’s Affairs Educational
   Benefit programs at DePaul, including:

       •   The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) - for those who served at least 30 consecutive days on
           active duty after September 10, 2001
       •   The Post-911 Yellow-Ribbon program
       •   The Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (Chapter 30) - for those who enlisted after 7/1/1985
       •   The Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) - part of the GI Bill effective
       •   The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) - for the
           spouse and children of deceased or disabled veterans
       •   The Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31) - for disabled veterans approved by the
           Veteran’s Affairs for study at DePaul

   For a complete listing of the Federal VA Educational Benefits Programs, go to

4) Is the Illinois Veteran’s Grant (IVG) available at DePaul?

   The Illinois Veteran's Grant (IVG) is not available for students at DePaul. Currently it is restricted by
   the State of Illinois to students attending public universities in Illinois.

5) How do I apply for admission to DePaul University?

   You must be admitted to an approved degree or certificate program in order to receive your VA
   Educational Benefits. You can go to our admission website to review the various undergraduate
   academic programs offered by DePaul, as well as those available for law school and graduate study.

   You are encouraged to contact the appropriate admission office if you have any questions regarding
   applying for admission, or if you would like to set up an appointment to speak with an admission

6) I am not sure for which Federal VA Educational Benefits (GI Bill) Program I qualify.
   Where can I find more information about my eligibility?

   If you're not sure what your benefits are, please contact the Veteran’s Affairs Regional Office in St.
   Louis at (888) 442-4551; follow the menu instructions and you'll be connected with a counselor. You
   also may obtain information through the Veteran’s Affairs website at

7) What are the steps to getting my VA Educational Benefit payments?

   You have two steps to getting your VA Benefits started:

   First, you complete the appropriate VA form (see next two FAQs) and submit it to the VA.
   Second, you complete the DePaul form, “Certification Request for VA Educational Benefits” and
   submit it to our office.

8) What do I need to do to use my VA Educational Benefits if I’ve never used my benefit

   Visit the VA website to apply online with the VA. Look for the Veterans Online Application
   (VONAPP). Here you will find the application forms for Veterans Educational Benefits (Post-911,
   Montgomery GI Bill), as well as the application for Dependents Educational Benefits (Chapter 35):

       •   VA 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits
       •   VA 22-5490 Dependents’ Application for VA Educational Benefits (Chapter 35 only)

    Once the VA has completed the processing of your application, you will receive a Certificate of
    Eligibility. You should submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to DePaul.

9) What else does DePaul require to use my Veteran’s Affairs Educational Benefits?

    Once you have completed the Veteran’s Affairs educational benefit online application form, you
    should contact our office at (312) 362-8091 (option 5) or complete our form, “Certification Request for
    VA Educational Benefits” at and submit it to our
    office. You should also submit your DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility to our office as soon as you
    have them.

10) What do I need to do to use my VA Educational Benefits at DePaul if I’ve used them
   before at a previous school?

    If you’ve used your benefits at another school, and you now want to use them at DePaul, please
    Visit the VA website to complete the online “Change of Place Training” forms. Go to Veterans Online
    Application (VONAPP) to complete the appropriate form:

        •   VA 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
        •   VA 22-5495 Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Chapter 35

    Please also complete DePaul form, “Certification Request for VA Educational Benefits” at and submit it to our
    office), as well as your DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility.

11) What is monthly certification? Do I need to do this while I am enrolled?

If you are receiving benefits under Chapter 30, you need to inform the VA each month that you are still
enrolled at DePaul – this is called certifying your enrollment. You can do this by using their on-line ‘Web
Automated Verification of Enrollment’ (WAVE) at or
by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at (877) 823-2378.

Note: If you are receiving benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), DEA (Chapter 35), REAP
(Chapter 1607) or VEAP (CHAPTER 32) you do NOT need to verify your attendance in this manner.

12) Do I need to enroll full-time?

You do NOT have to be enrolled full-time. However, your training time/enrollment (i.e. full-time, half-time,
etc.) does affect the amount of your Veterans Educational Benefits1.. If attendance is less than full-time,
payments are reduced proportionately. Payment rates can be found on the Veteran’s Affairs website at or by calling their toll free number at (888) 442-4551.

13) How is my monthly payment determined?

Your monthly payment is determined by your enrollment level and your monthly eligibility. You can see
current payment rates on the Veteran’s Affairs website at by following the path to
“Payment Rates” under the Education Benefit section of the website or you can call the Veteran’s Affairs
Regional Office in St. Louis toll-free at (888) 442-4551.

14) How do I contact the VA?

   You can find more information at Veteran’s Affairs has a preliminary fact
   sheet available for download and printing, and has more information in their Education Benefit FAQ.
   Additional information is available at
   overview You can also call the VA at their toll-free number: (888) 442-4551.

15) How do I contact DePaul?
   If you have any questions or concerns regarding about Veterans Educational Benefits and/or
   traditional Financial Aid programs, you are encouraged to call, email, visit DePaul Central, or
   schedule an appointment with one of our counselors.

       •    If you have questions regarding the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) or the Yellow Ribbon
            Program, please contact Megan Burda at (312) 362-8092 (

       •    If you have questions regarding all other VA Educational Benefit Programs, please contact
            Carol Carter at (312) 362-8524 (

16) How is the Post-911 GI Bill changing, and will it affect my benefits at DePaul?

    The Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2010 restructured important as aspects of
    the Post-911 GI Bill. These changes are summarized below, and outlined in detail at the VA website,

    The changes are multi-layered, as can be seen in the summary of changes below. Most veteran students at
    DePaul will be interested in the sections relating to tuition and fee caps, as well as the change in educational
    benefit payments during “break or interval” – that is, during the break between terms of enrollment. Remember
    that DePaul is here to help you with these changes. We encourage you to call the Office of Financial Aid if you
    have questions about the effect of the changes. If you have questions regarding the Post-911 GI Bill, Chapter
    33, or Yellow Ribbon benefits, please contact Megan Burda (312) 362-8092.

Effective July 1, 2009, not payable until October 1, 2011: Expanded Post-911 eligibility for service
members Effective March 5, 2011: Limitations on active-duty tuition and fee eligibility
      The Post-9/11 GI Bill is expanded to include Active Service performed by National Guard members under title 32 U.S.C. for
       the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing, or training the National Guard; or under section 502(f) for
       the purpose of responding to a national emergency.

Effective March 5, 2011: Limitations on active-duty tuition and fee eligibility
      Limits active duty members to the net cost for tuition and fees prorated based on the eligibility tiers (40%-100%) previously
       established for Veterans.
            •     Same limitations apply to transferee spouses of active duty service members.

Effective August 1, 2011:
      For Veterans and their transferees - simplifies the tuition and fee rates for those attending a public school and creates a
       national maximum for those enrolled in a private or foreign school:
            •    Pays all public school in-state tuition and fees;
            •    Private and foreign school costs are capped at $17,500 annually;
            •    The Yellow Ribbon Program still exists for out-of-state fees and costs above the cap.

      For Active Duty Members and their transferees - creates a national rate for those active duty members enrolled in a
       private or foreign school pursuing a degree:
            •     Pays all public school in-state tuition and fees;
            •     Private and foreign school costs are capped at $17,500 per academic year (an academic year begins August 1).

      Allows VA to pay MGIB (chapter 30) and MGIB-SR (chapter 1606) ‘kickers’, or college fund payments, on a monthly basis
       instead of a lump sum at the beginning of the term.

      Prorates housing allowance by the student’s rate of pursuit (rounded to the nearest tenth).
            •    A student training at a rate of pursuit of 75% would receive 80% of the BAH rate.

      Break or interval pay is no longer payable under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the
       President or due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster or strike.
            •    This means that when your semester ends (e.g. December 15th), your housing allowance is paid for the first 15
                 days of December only and begins again when your next semester begins (e.g. January 10th) and is paid for the
                 remaining days of January.
            •    Students using other VA education programs are included in this change. Monthly benefits will be pro-rated in
                 the same manner.
            •    Entitlement that previously would have been used for break pay will be available for use during a future

      Allows reimbursement for more than one “license or certification” test (previously only one test was allowed).
            •    However, entitlement is now charged.

      Allows reimbursement of fees paid to take national exams used for admission to an institution of higher learning (e.g., SAT,
       ACT, GMAT, LSAT).

      Allows those who are eligible for both Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (chapter 31) benefits and Post-9/11 GI
       Bill (chapter 33) benefits to choose the Post-9/11 GI Bill’s monthly housing allowance instead of the chapter 31 subsistence

      NOAA and PHS personnel are now eligible to transfer their entitlement to eligible dependents Effective October 1, 2011.

Effective October 1, 2011
      Allows students to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill for -
            •    Non-college degree (NCD) programs: Pays actual net cost for in-State tuition and fees at public NCD
                 institutions. At private and foreign institutions, pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees or $17,500,
                 whichever is less. Also pays up to $83 per month for books and supplies.
            •    On-the-job and apprenticeship training: Pays a monthly benefit amount prorated based on time in program
                 and up to $83 per month for books and supplies.
            •    Flight programs: Per academic year, pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees assessed by the
                 school or $10,000, whichever is less.
            •    Correspondence training: Per academic year, pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees assessed
                 by the school or $8,500, whichever is less.

      Housing allowance is now payable to students (other than those on active duty) enrolled solely in distance learning. The
       housing allowance payable is equal to ½ the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents.
           •     The full-time rate for an individual eligible at the 100% eligibility tier would be $673.50 for 2011.
                 Allows students on active duty to receive a books and supplies stipend.