Guidelines for construction of commercial greenhouse
Productivity and operating efficiency of a greenhouse depends mainly on the type of planting
Detached greenhouses generally independently stand from each other. However, you can join
to gain access through a corridor to the greenhouse effect.
The Quonset is the most common individual greenhouse for use in commercial
production. These types are constructed with arched beams usually have solid walls to end
more support. Quonset greenhouses types are appropriate for most crop varieties however the
growing capacity is somewhat limited near "side walls, which reduces productivity and
Ridge greenhouses are joined through the eave with a shared channel. Normally, an interior
wall below the gutter is absent that empowers better productivity.
Ridge greenhouses can be curved arch or gabled. greenhouse gable are generally suitable for
substantial coverings such as fiberglass or glass, while the curve of the arch greenhouses are
usually covered with much lighter materials such as polycarbonate or polyethylene. Many
connected ridge greenhouses often are called "range."
This is one of the major steps to be taken into account by the producer. proper selection of the
area with access to labor markets, public services, as well as future expansion really makes a big
difference in how the business will benefit and grow.
These are basic things to consider:
• Crops to be growing (potted plants, the bedding plants, perennials, herbs, vegetables, etc)
• The crop growing season (seasonal or year-round)
• Plants grown (flats, pots, hydroponics bedding, drinking, etc)
• Culture medium (no soil, the soil, mixing compost, the nutrient solution, etc.)
• Growing methods (soil banks, movable or fixed, growing bags, beds and flood)
• Annual productivity (space required)
• Technical Marketing (retail, wholesale or both)
• The capital investment or
These are the things to consider when building a commercial greenhouse:
1. Space. The area required greatly depends on the type of business, whether retail or
wholesale. The minimum space should be about two acres for parking for employees and
customers, access road for deliveries, storage area and also for future expansion.A wholesale
company usually require much more because the greenhouse drinker much wider and wider.
2. Zoning. These are local regulations controlling land use and promote safety, health and
welfare of the community. Note that greenhouse operations are permitted in particular areas.
Facade, the distances of side yards, signs and parking spaces should be specified.You should
check with your zoning officer and ask what is required and inquire about building codes to see
if a permit is required.
3. Access to the highway. Site location in relation to roads should be taken into account.For the
retail business, a place beside or a high traffic road or beside a considerable residential site can
greatly increase business. wholesale business needs access to some interstate roads to handle
heavy truck traffic on the road.
4. Environment. Select a location that is away from "industrial pollution."
5. Climate. Avoid areas with extreme temperatures, and the growth of plants is directly related
to winter light is received.
6. Pending. slope of land to provide water drainage is very important. Greenhouses shall be
located at the base of gravel, 12.6 inches above grade.
7. Water. Plants need sufficient moisture supply for optimal development and increased
production of flowers. As for the amount of water required largely determined by how large an
area that is irrigated, climatic conditions, crop, season and "the control system environment."
Note that the water that comes from "natural sources" have a certain amount of impurities,
and are sometimes detrimental to plant growth. You must be water resistant chemicals that
may be present in your water system to address the problem, if there is a problem.
8. Electricity. Its commercial greenhouse effect must have a sufficient supply of electricity and
the distribution system should be to provide and manage the environment in the
greenhouse. Already in the design of the greenhouse, which should encourage electric utilities
in their area about the availability of energy and also call an electrician for the design of power
9. Expansion. Throughout the planning and development stage, the provisions should be
considered for further expansion.
Note that before entering the business, as in any business, careful assessment must be done
before making a decision. Plan carefully. Good luck.