Track and Field
Track and Field Philosophy
• All athletes 7-12 are on the track at the same time for practice.
• Our goal is to develop the overall athlete. We work on
coordination, agility, strength, flexibility, and speed.
• High school athletes will spend time in the weight room.
New for 2010: Football athletes have the option to lift with Coach
Little as their strength coach to maintain football training.
• Junior High athletes will use other methods of strengthening the core.
• Jim Brant – Head Varsity Coach and Throwing Specialist
• Lynn Brant –Hurdles & High Jump
• Kris Bultman – Pole Vault Specialist
• Val Casto –Throwing Specialist
• Bob Forsgren – Long Jump Specialist
• Frank Harl – Pole Vault Specialist
• Tyler Hofer – Hurdles & High Jump
• Jodi Murphy – Sprints & Relay Specialist
• Sandy Riveron – Sprints & Relay Specialist
• Alessa Velez – Distance Specialist
• Our First Practice is Monday, March 8.
KHS – women to lower locker room in stadium to change
– men to upper locker room in stadium to change
KJH – report to KJH locker rooms to change and bring all items to
lower stadium locker room for storage during practice
• Warm-Up begins at the K at 2:45 p.m. – SHARP!
• In order to be eligible to participate, all paperwork must be turned in by
Friday, February 26.
Coach Lynn Brant (KHS - A208)
Coach Jim Brant (across from Media Center)
Coach Val Casto (KJH C-7)
Coach Jodi Murphy (KJH – A-2)
Required Paper Work
• Physical on File in athletic office – SCHEDULE
TODAY if you don’t have a current physical on
• OHSAA pages
• Emergency Medical Form
• Liability Waiver
Due by Friday, February 26!
All paperwork available on Edline.
Practice Schedule - DAILY
• High School
• 2:45 – 5:30 p.m. including weightlifting
• Pick up athletes from the Stadium
• Allow for time to ice
• Junior High
• 2:45 – 5:00 p.m.
• Pick up athletes from the Stadium
• Arrange for rides – no one wants to be
the last one waiting for a ride!
• Team Meetings at K to disperse information
• Dynamic Warm Up on track at 3:00 p.m.
• Break down into specialty groups – everyone is a runner first and
foremost so groups will be distance, sprints, and throwers
• Specialties (High Jump/Hurdles/Long Jump/Pole Vault) will
work one or two days a week with the specialty coaches
• Weight Room or Plyos for H.S. athletes/Core exercises or plyos
for J.H. athletes
• Cool Down & Static Stretch
• Ice any nagging pain or injuries
Equipment for Practice
• Running Shoes
Bob Rockner’s Running Spot in Loveland
Kings T&F Day ~ Thursday, February 25
20% off items in store
3 – 7 p.m.
• Clothes for the weather
• Spikes for competition if athlete knows what events
they are focusing on
• High School: Varsity vs. JV…may change as
athletes challenge for spots
• Invitational vs. Dual & Tri-Meets
• Hectic Schedules ~ e-mail to communicate
who is where/when
• Regular attendance at practice. If gone the
night before a meet, it is difficult to put final
touches on relays, etc…
• Knight Runners
• Local Meets @ Winton Woods
• Regular Attendance is expected at all practices and meets.
~ Keeps Injuries Away
~ Keeps Athlete Informed
• If there is a conflict, coaches should know well in advance.
Communication is the key! We know some athletes are
juggling schedules with two spring sports. Our rule of thumb
is that a competition always takes precedence over practice.
• If your child needs to leave practice early, he/she needs to be
prepared to have items at the track. We can not stop practice
for a coach to unlock the locker rooms.
Track and Field Events
(Something for EVERYONE!)
Sprints Distance Hurdles Throws Relays Jumps
100 800 meter 100/110 Shot Put 4 x 100 High Jump
meter meter meter
200 1600 300/200 Discus 4 x 200 Long Jump
meter meter meter meter
400 3200 4 x 400 Pole Vault
meter meter* meter
4 x 800
* High School event only.
Rules for Track and Field
• General athletic handbook • Additional T&F Rule:
rules are available on the
Athletic Edline page. ~ FAVC MEET
All team members are expected
• All athletes must ride the to attend and stay for the
bus to compete at a meet! duration of the meet.
May go home with his/her
parent after checking out
with a coach. KJH – May 10 at
KHS – Varsity: May 11 and 13
• OHSAA policy on pictures at Walnut Hills
and videotaping JV: May 16 at Kings
• High School:
Saturday, March 28
@ Centerville Relays
10 Practices required
before first meet
• Junior High:
Monday, March 30
@ Clinton Massie Dual
Length of Track Meets
• Vary by location and type
• Starting times and directions
will be sent by E-mail
• Encourage Athlete to bring
Equipment for Meet
• Team uniforms
Issued on picture day ~ Wed., March 17
• Spikes – if you have them
• Team Spiritwear
• Healthy Snacks – some meets do not
have a concession stand available
Injury vs. Pain
• SORE at the start of season
• Due to the nature of the sport, Shin Splints are a common problem.
- communicate with coach
- check shoes for wear and tear
- encourage proper warm-up and cool down stretching
-COMMUNICATE WITH COACH!
-Sports related doctors vs. family doctor
The Ultimate Challenge
• Track and Field Equipment has a relatively high cost
associated with it. We have to help defray some of these
costs each season.
• We will be participating in an Ultimate Frisbee/Hill
challenge on Friday, March 12. Athletes may seek
sponsors for the number of hill repeats that their team
completes or ask for a flat donation.
• $65.00 per athlete/$25 additional for sweatshirt
• Money due by Monday, March 15
• In order to run a successful
track meet, it takes numerous
volunteers. Home meets KJH Meets KHS Meets
begin at 4:15 p.m. We need
Monday, March 29 Thursday, April 1
everyone to take a turn!
Thursday, April 8 Tuesday, April 13
• In addition to parent help,
Tuesday, April 27 Tuesday, May 4
KJH Athletes will work the
high school meets, and KHS Thursday, May 6 Saturday, May 15
athletes will work the junior
Mark your calendars now!
August 9 – August 22
Adults & Athletes needed!
• 4th Annual Spring Sports Spectacular
7:30 p.m. Friday, March 19
Kings High School gym
• Kings High School Spring Athletic Teams and
* Baseball * Softball * Tennis * Track * Lacrosse
• Senior Night for Spring Athletes ~ dinner at 6:30
• $5 admission
Kings Athletic Booster Club
• Backbone for financial support of all athletic teams!
• Knight to Remember is April 17 – Come out for a
fun-filled evening of athletic support!
• If you would like to get involved, they meet on the
2nd Wednesday of every Month. New members are
• Colleen Trimmer is on her last season as a track
Run Faster! Jump Higher! Throw Farther!
Questions for the whole group?
Completed Paperwork/Checks to
Colleen Trimmer & Amy Andrews at
Spirit Wear Clean Out Sale
Thank you for coming!
Track and Field!