Historic Sites and Districts of Hunterdon County by NewJersey

VIEWS: 357 PAGES: 63

									                                                                                   Historic
                                                                                   Sites &
                 Hunterdon County                                                  Districts
      Cultural & Heritage Commission Members                                       in
             Stephanie Stevens, Chairman
            Beverly Drake, Vice Chairman                                           Hunterdon
                  Lawrence Carlbon
                     Frank Curcio
                                                                                   County, NJ
                   James Davidson
                      Janet Hunt
                      June Kapp
                    Estelle Katcher
                      John Kuhl


                      Hunterdon County
                  Board of Chosen Freeholders
                      Frank Fuzo, Director
                         Marcia Karrow
                         George Melick
                       George D. Muller
                         Paul Sauerland                                            Listed on the
                                                                                   State & National
                                   Disclaimer
                                                                                   Registers of Historic Places
The enclosed maps were prepared by the Hunterdon County Planning Board
based upon available information. They are to be used for general reference
purposes only. For an official copy of a district map, interested persons should
contact the NJ Historic Preservation Office at 609.292.2023.

                                     Credits
Photographs were taken by Stephanie Stevens, Linda Weber and Louis Fineberg.       Hunterdon County Cultural & Heritage Commission
Thanks to Linda Weber of the Hunterdon County Planning Board for her               Fall, 2002
assistance in composing this booklet.




                                                                                                         1
 National Register (NR) and State Register (SR)
                 Historic Districts
             In Hunterdon County, NJ

        In order to better preserve the many charming
villages and towns of Hunterdon, citizens and local
governments have had these places architecturally
surveyed and entered on the State and National Regis-
ters of Historic Places.

        A lengthy process is entailed for nominations
to these registers; submission of a documented com-
pleted application, review and public hearings take
place before the nomination is confirmed. State and
National Registered Districts are granted certain privi-
leges from governmental intrusions.

       These Districts represent Hunterdon’s past.
The architecture and viewscapes are excellent. As
you read this booklet think about touring the Districts
to familiarize yourself with the beautiful buildings
constructed by our ancestors. The majority of the
buildings are still under private ownership and not
open to the public; however, they can all be enjoyed
from the road.

       Happy touring!


             Stephanie B. Stevens


                         1
         Alexandria Township

Everittstown Historic District
SR     2/20/90       NR     8/28/80

This District was known as
Everitt's Mills in 1759. By 1816
it became known as Everittstown
and had grown considerably. In
1881 there was a post office, oil
mill, tavern, blacksmith shop,
tailor and about twenty-five
dwellings.




                       2
       Alexandria Township

Little York Historic District
SR 6/17/88        NR 8/4/88

Prior to 1828, Little York was known as Pokano
and two mills had been constructed on the Wissa-
hawken Creek. In
1881 there were
three churches, two
stores, two mills,
two blacksmiths,
one tavern and one
wheelwright.




                      3
          Alexandria Township

Mt. Pleasant Historic District
SR 10/5/87    NR      11/16/88

Mt. Pleasant is located in
Alexandria and Holland
Townships, along a branch
of the Hakeahawka Creek.
Early mills spurred the
growth of the village that in
1881 had a post office, two
stores, a mill, blacksmith
and wheelwright shops,
and a Presbyterian Church.




                        4
     Alexandria Township


                 Structures

Saint Thomas Episcopal Church, 18th century
             Block 21, Lot 37

Mt. Salem Methodist Episcopal Church, 1864
          Block 11, Lots 3, 3.01




              Other Districts

     See the Pittstown Historic District
           in Franklin Township




                    5
          Bethlehem Township

Asbury Historic District
SR 11/2/92 NR 3/19/93

Asbury was originally called Hall's Mill. In 1800
the name was changed to honor Methodist Bishop
Asbury. Located on the
Musconetcong River, there
were two mills and a
woolen factory here in
1873. The majority of this
historic district lies in
neighboring Warren
County.




                           Warren County




        Hunterdon County




                           6
            Califon Borough

Califon Historic District
SR 5/8/75     NR 10/14/76

Straddling the South Branch of the Raritan River,
the village originally was named Neighbor’s Mill
and California. Califon was
created out of Tewksbury Town-
ship and Lebanon Townships on
April 2, 1905. Long known for
the production of peach baskets -
an important industry when
Hunterdon's biggest crop was
peaches - Califon thrived as an
industrial center. In 1880 there
were two gristmills, two saw mills, two stores, two
shoe shops, and two blacksmiths and wheel-
wrights, along with one hotel, a harness maker,
distillery, railroad depot, and 31 dwellings.




                        7
       Califon Borough

              Structure

J.K. Apgar Farmhouse, 18-19th century
           Block 28, Lot 4




                8
             Clinton Town

Clinton Town Historic District
SR     3/3/95      NR      9/28/95

The town was named for New York governor
Dewitt Clinton in 1828. Home of the most
photographed mill in America -- the Red Mill –
Clinton was originally
called "Hunt's Mills."
During Revolutionary
War times the most
important building
was Bonnell's Tavern,
which was built in
1764 and served as a
meeting place for Patriots.




                       9
    Clinton Town

           Structures

Clinton Historical Museum, 1763
      Block 8, Lot 3, 3.01

Dunham’s Mill/Parry’s Mill, 1837
        Block 9, Lot 1

Music Hall, 1890-91, 1910, 1916
       Block 25, Lot 19

 M.C. Mulligan & Sons Quarry
    Block 8, Lots 3, 3.01

   Old Grandin Library, 1898
       Block 12, Lot 4.01




              10
             Clinton Township

Annandale Historic District
SR   8/1/94         NR      9/8/94

                     Annandale, known as
                     "Clinton Station," was the
                     depot for the New Jersey
                     Central Railroad. Beaver
                     Avenue, Annandale's main
                     road, was originally a part of
                     the New Jersey Turnpike, an
                     early toll road that went from
                     New Brunswick to Easton,
                     PA. The Revolutionary Tom
Jones’ Tavern is located on the main road.




                        11
            Clinton Township

Cokesbury Historic District
SR    6/3/97        NR      7/17/97

Cokesbury Historic District is located in both
Tewksbury and Clinton
Townships. The village
was named for the two
most prominent Method-
ist Ministers of the era,
Bishop Asbury and
Bishop Coke. There was
a furnace here in 1754.




                       12
             Clinton Township

Readingsburg Historic District
SR    1/1/00       NR      3/3/00

Readingsburgh Historic District is located on the
                          South Branch of the
                          Raritan River and was
                          the site of early mills.
                          About six dwellings
                          comprised the village.




                       13
        Clinton Township

               Structures

Bray-Hoffman House, early 19th century
          Block 30, Lot 28

    Fink Type Ttruss Bridge, 1857
            (demolished)




             Other Districts

  See the Potterstown Historic District
        in Readington Township

    See Cokesbury Historic District
        in Tewksbury Township




                  14
            Delaware Township

Covered Bridge Historic District
SR    1/19/99      NR      3/5/99

Green Sergeants Bridge is the last remaining
covered bridge in the State of New Jersey. A
volunteer citizens group saved it from demolition
in the 1960’s. The District includes the 1872
bridge and surrounding farmsteads of the late 18th
and 19th century.




                       15
            Delaware Township

Delaware & Raritan Canal
SR    11/30/72     NR    5/11/73

Delaware and Raritan Canal Historic District is located
in five communities: the Townships of Delaware,
Kingwood, and West Amwell, and the Borough of
Stockton. Begun in 1832, the canal commenced at
“Bool’s (Bull’s) Island and paralleled the Delaware
                                      River to Trenton
                                      where it turned
                                      and made its way
                                      to New Bruns-
                                      wick. The engi-
                                      neer in charge of
                                      this monumental
                                      undertaking was
                                      Ashbel Welch.
                                      Hundreds of men,
many of them Irish, rushed to Lambertville to seek
work digging the canal. Unfortunately, an epidemic of
“Asiatic Cholera” broke out amongst the workers, and
dozens were buried in nameless graves in Potter’s
Field. The canal served as the most modern of trans-
portation methods; manufactured goods and coal from
the Pennsylvania mines were moved quickly to the
markets to the east. Upon the advent of railroads in the
1840s and 50s, the canals died as a means of transpor-
tation.

                (see map on next page)




                         16
        Delaware Township

                   Structures

     Locktown Baptist Church, 1819
            Block 8, Lot 1

         Peck’s Ferry Bridge, 1900
                 (D-388)

 Green Sergeant’s Covered Bridge, 1872
                (D-304)




                                Hunterdon
                                County



 The D & R Canal
 District is the dark line
 parallel to the Canal and
 Delaware River.




    Pennsylvania



Delaware & Raritan Canal Historic District


                        17
           East Amwell Township

Clover Hill Historic District
SR 10/16/79          NR       9/29/80

Clover Hill Historic District is comprised of a
small settlement in the most easterly part of the
                           township. Much of the
                           district lies in Hillsbor-
                           ough Township, Somer-
                           set County. Originally
                           referred to as
                           “Coughstown” or
                           “Koughstown,” it was
                           known as Clover Hill by
1848. A few houses, a store, hotel, blacksmith
shop, post office and church comprised the village
by 1880.




    Raritan Township



            Hunterdon County

                               East Amwell Township




                          18
         East Amwell Township

New Market-Linvale Snydertown Historic District
SR 12/29/97       NR    2/12/98

New Market-Linvale/
Snyderstown Historic District
is located along the old Tren-
ton Road (Route 31). There
was a store as early as the late
18th century, which stands to-
day. Snyderstown was named
for a pre-Revolutionary grist
and oil mill which is now a
private dwelling. The area
became known as Linvale in
1891.




                         19
         East Amwell Township

Reaville Historic District
SR 12/20/01           NR 5/2/02

The village was formerly
called Greenville. It was the
site of the 18th century
Manners Tavern. By the
mid-19th century it became
known as Reaville after
Runkle Rea who was the
first postmaster and the
founder of the village. By
1881 there was a school,
Presbyterian church, hotel, store, shops, and
twenty or more dwellings.




                       20
        East Amwell Township

Ringoes Historic District
SR 10/12/99          NR      12/20/99

Ringoes village grew
around the site of
John Ringo's Tavern.
It was in that tavern
that the Committee of
Correspondence and
the Sons of Liberty
met during the Revo-
lutionary War.




                        21
         East Amwell Township

Wertsville Historic District
SR 8/3/00            NR 10/5/00

Wertsville, located at
the corner of Lind-
bergh Road and
Wertsville Road,
takes its name from
the Werts family. In
1881, the village
consisted of a
school, post office, and Baptist Church.




                       22
   East Amwell Township

               Structures

Highfields (Charles Lindbergh Estate)
          Block 38, Lot 30
   (also situated in Hopewell Township,
              Mercer County)




                   23
        Flemington Borough
Flemington Historic District
SR 2/27/80          NR      9/17/80
Due to its vast history, almost the entire Borough
of Flemington is on
the historic register.
The oldest dwelling
is the 1756 Fleming
Castle, which was the
first substantial house
in town. Flemington
has been the County
Seat since I791, and has seen the building of three
courthouses in the span of two hundred eight
years. The Borough has a plethora of well
maintained 19th century and early 20th century
residential architecture.




                                         Route
                                          31




                                             Route
            Route                             202
             12




                        24
Flemington Borough

         Structure

    Fleming Castle, 1756
      Block 15, Lot 30




            25
           Franklin Township

Pittstown Historic District
SR 8/17/90           NR     10/11/90

Pittstown, located along the Capoolong Creek, was
originally called “Hoff’s Mills.” The name was
changed to Pitts Town in honor of William Pitt,
the British noble-
man. Built in
1801 by Moore
Furman, the
Century Inn was
constructed to
celebrate the new
century. The Inn
still stands today
and was recently renovated.




                      26
           Franklin Township

Quakertown Historic District
SR 2/20/90         NR     8/23/90

Quakertown is an 18th century settlement of mem-
bers of the Society of Friends, or Quakers. It is
dominated by the Quaker
Meeting House - the third
Meeting House on this spot -
and its cemetery to the rear.
The village consisted of two
stores, a school, two black-
smith shops and about 30
dwellings in 1880.




                       27
           Franklin Township

Rockhill Agricultural Historic District
SR 6/25/80          NR      4/5/84

Rockhill Agricultural Historic District is so named
for the Rockhill family who lived here as early as
1731 and owned 846
acres. An agricultural
district with extant
18th century farms,
stone houses, barns
and outbuildings, it
extends into Union
Township.




                       28
 Franklin Township

        Structure

Lansdown dwelling, c. 1765
     Block 13, Lot 5




           29
           Frenchtown Borough
Frenchtown Historic District
SR    3/14/94       NR     5/14/94

                            Before the American
                            Revolution, Thomas
                            Lowrey owned the area
                            now comprising the
                            Frenchtown Historic
                            District. He built a grist-
                            mill on the land fronting
the Delaware River. Lowrey sold the land (968
acres) in 1794 to Paul Henri Mallet-Prevost, who
served as a soldier in the French Revolution.
Though he was thought to be French – hence the
name Frenchtown – Paul Henri was a Swiss! The
borough was set off from Alexandria Township on
April 4, 1867. By 1881 Frenchtown was the site
of several
mills,
stores, and
taverns.




                         30
Glen Gardner Borough

          Structure

Pony Pratt Truss Bridge, 1870
School Street over Spruce Run
           (G-63)




             31
  Hampton Borough



See the Imlaysdale Historic District
       in Lebanon Township




               32
   High Bridge Borough

            Structure

High Bridge Reformed Church, 1870
       Block 11 Lots 6 & 7




               33
            Holland Township

Amsterdam Historic District
SR 1/24/95         NR     3/17/95

Amsterdam Historic
District is located on
the side of Gravel
Hill. In 1881 this
hamlet had a sawmill,
a shoemaker’s shop
and a carpenter’s
shop.




                                to Route 627




                         34
             Holland Township

Pursley’s Ferry Historic District
SR 7/12/78           NR     10/8/80

Pursley's Ferry Historic District was also referred
to as “Parsley's
Ferry” and
“Johnson's Ferry" for
the ferry operation
that crossed the
Delaware River
from pre-1777 up un-
til the Civil War. An
early road led from the ferry to Bethlehem Town-
ship.




                         35
        Holland Township

                Structure

    Riegel Ridge Community Center
             Block 6, Lot 2


             Other Districts

   See the Little York and Mt Pleasant
Historic Districts in Alexandria Township.




                   36
     Kingwood Township

              Districts

  See the Delaware & Raritan Canal
Historic District in Delaware Township




                 37
           Lambertville City
Lambertville Historic District
SR 5/18/83          NR      6/30/83

Hunterdon's only city, Lambertville’s history dates
back to the early 1700s when a ferry crossing the
Delaware River to Pennsylvania was established.
The area became known as Coryell's Ferry after
Emanuel Coryell who purchased the ferry in 1733.
The name stuck until 1814 when a post office was
established and
named in honor of
Senator John Lam-
bert, who helped
procure the post
office for the town.
Lambertville’s
Revolutionary his-
tory is extensive,
with Washington’s presence in Coryell's Ferry in
1776, 1777 and 1778.

George Coryell, a pallbearer for Washington, is
buried in the Presbyterian churchyard. As the city
grew, its prosperity was evident by the many mills
and factories. All periods of American architec-
ture are still present in Lambertville.

         (see the map on the following page)




                        38
      Lambertville City

              Structures

      Lambertville House, 1812
        Block 1035, Lot 17

     James Marshall House, 1816
        Block 1038, Lot 28

            Other Districts

See also the Delaware & Raritan Canal
Historic District in Delaware Township.

     Lambertville Historic District




                  39
              Lebanon Township

Imlaydale Historic District
SR 2/6/91           NR      3/27/91

Imlaydale Historic
District is located
along the Musconet-
cong River in both
Hunterdon and War-
ren Counties. This
small village grew
up around an early
grist mill and the
original stone arch bridge that crossed the river.




                         Hunterdon County




                        40
              Lebanon Township

New Hampton Historic District
SR   1/28/98      NR     4/6/98

New Hampton Historic District is located along
                                the Musconetcong
                                River. Formerly
                                known as “Johnson's
                                Mills. . .where the
                                road from Trenton to
                                Oxford (Furnace)
                                and Sussex County
                                crossed the stream.”
                                In 1834 the village
consisted of a gristmill, a saw mill, 2 stores, 3 tav-
erns and 20-25 dwellings.




                              Hunterdon County




                         41
            Lebanon Township

                     Structures

Miller Farmstead (includes Stephensburg Bridge, 1860)
                   Block 55, Lot 1
                     (and L-97W)

    New Hampton Pony Pratt Truss Bridge, 1900
               Springtown Road
                   (L-90W)




                     42
            Raritan Township

                   Structure

         John Reading Farmstead, 1760
               Block 16, Lot 37



                   Districts

See the Dart’s Mill and Readington/Raritan South
Branch Historic Districts in Readington Township
                       and
   Clover Hill and Reaville Historic Districts
           in East Amwell Township




                      43
           Readington Township
Dart’s Mill Historic District
SR 3/18/81           NR       4/29/82

Dart's Mill Historic District was a thriving mill
                              seat on the South
                              Branch of the Raritan
                              River. It included a
                              merchant center,
                              blacksmith, store and
                              a complex of mills.
                              Until recently, mills
                              were on this site dat-
ing back to 1730. The last mill burned in 1994.




      South Branch of
     The Raritan River

                         Rt 523




     to Route 31




                           44
        Readington Township
Potterstown Rural Historic District
SR 4/10/92         NR      7/2/92

Potterstown Historic District is one of the oldest
settlements in Hunterdon. Potterstown was at the
crossroads of the West Jersey Society's “Line” and
the old Raritan Path which became the "County
                            Road" and later the
                            New Jersey Turnpike.
                            Eventually the road
                            moved south and is
                            known today as Route
                            22. The first German
                            Lutheran Church in
                            New Jersey was built
in Potterstown on land donated by a free negro,
Aray Van Guinea.




                                       I-78
              I-78




                                    to Route 22




                        45
         Readington Township
Readington Village Historic District
SR 5/10/91          NR     6/24/91

Readington Village Historic Dis-
trict. Readington Village was
settled in the first decade of the
18th century by Dutch farmers.
The Readington Dutch Reformed
Church is the oldest Dutch re-
formed parish in the county. The
Village was located on the main
road to New Brunswick, a thriv-
ing 19th century city in Middlesex
County. The Village originally consisted of a
church, mill, store , school and tavern.




                       46
          Readington Township
Readington/Raritan South Branch Historic District
SR 12/7/89               NR     1/26/90

The South Branch District is.the site of some of the
oldest houses in both Raritan and Readington Town-
ships. The home of Acting Royal Governor John Read-
                             ing, dated 1760, still re-
                             mains. The Ryerson
                             house is dated 1733 and is
                             the oldest remaining
                             house in Readington
                             Township.




                 Route
                  31




                          47
         Readington Township

Stanton Historic District
SR 2/24/90           NR     8/10/90

Stanton is an early Dutch German settlement with
three 18th century
stone houses and an
18th century frame
house still remaining.
The construction of
the Dutch Reformed
Church in 1833
spurred more growth
in the 19th century.




                      48
          Readington Township

Taylor’s Mill Historic District
SR 4/10/92           NR      3/7/97

This District includes a miller’s house and mill
ruins from 1760
along with the mill
race and truss bridge
crossing the Rock-
away Creek. The
original mill owner
John Taylor was
Colonel in the 4th
Hunterdon Militia
and fought in the Continental Army of the Revolu-
tion. Grain for George Washington’s troops was
ground here during the Revolution.




                       49
  Readington Township

            Structures

Higginsville Road Bridges, c. 1893
      (R-183S and R-184S)

Whitehouse Railroad Station, 1892
       Block 22, Lot 1.02




               50
           Stockton Borough

Prallsville Historic District
SR 8/16/76            NR      6/27/79

As early as 17O2,
John Reading
owned and oper-
ated mills here.
Located on the
Delaware River, it
is named for John
Prall who settled
here in 1792. In
1834, the hamlet was made up of a grist mill, store,
tavern and some 6 to 8 houses.




   D & R Canal
   and
   Delaware
                              Rt 29
   River




                        51
         Tewksbury Township

Fairmount Historic District
SR 10/23/96         NR      12/20/96

Fairmount is located in the mid-
dle of the Township and was
originally called 'Parkersville"
for West Jersey Proprietor,
James Parker. The Rockaway
River flows through the village
which was home to several early
American shops and businesses.




                       52
        Tewksbury Township

Mountainville Historic District
SR 7/30/93          NR      12/7/93

Mountainville was probably first settled and
named in the 1840s. By 1880, it boasted a store,
blacksmith, shoe
shop, wheel-
wright, a still,
two mills, hotel,
school house
and twenty three
dwellings.




                        53
        Tewksbury Township

Oldwick Historic District
SR 6/2/86           NR      11/14/88

                    Formerly known as New
                    Germantown, this town
                    changed its name to Old-
                    wick after WWI. It was
                    settled by Palatine Germans
                    in the first half of the l8th
                    century. The Zion Lutheran
                    Church occupied the present
                    church building in I750.




                     54
          Tewksbury Township

Pottersville Historic District
SR 8/9/90             NR      9/18/90

Pottersville Historic District. This district was
named for one of its
earliest settlers - the
Potter family. The
village is located in
three counties,
Hunterdon Morris
and Somerset. A
very ancient mill
seat, the village is located on the Lamington River
and was originally called Lamington Falls.




                        55
     Tewksbury Township

             Structures

       Kline Farmhouse, 1790
           Block 38, Lot 8

    Palatine Road Bridge, c. 1900
               (T-42)

 Hollow Brook Road Bridge, c. 1930
              (T-22)

Frog Hollow Road Bridge, 19th century
               (T-9)



           Other Districts

   See Cokesbury Historic District
        in Clinton Township




                56
             Union Township

Van Syckel Corner District
SR    8/9/79       NR      11/8/79

In 1763, David Reynolds constructed the first
tavern in this vil-
lage. In 1766, three
delegates to the
"Sons of Liberty"
were chosen at a
meeting here. The
Tavern has been re-
cently restored and
is under private
ownership.




                        57
         Union Township

                Structures

Daniel Case/Sarah Clark farmstead, c. 1800
             Block 1, Lot 12

 Peter Mechlin’s Corner Tavern, c. 1830
          Block 17, Lot 6.01

         Perryville Tavern, 1813
            Block 13, Lot 12

Turner/Chew/Carhart Farm, 19th Century
          Block 11, Lot 23



              Other Districts

See Rockhill Agricultural Historic District
         in Franklin Township




                   58
        West Amwell Township

Mount Airy Historic District
SR 9/14/89          NR     11/13/89

In colonial days, this hamlet was a stage stop on
the Old York Road - a heavily traveled road that
                             connected Philadelphia
                             and New York City.
                             The Holcombe store-
                             house was built in the
                             1700s and still stands.
                             It was in the store-
                             house that farm pro-
                             duce was stored until
market wagons could take it to more easterly
markets.


                             Rt
                             179




                        59
       West Amwell Township

Pleasant Valley Historic District
SR 4/12/91           NR     6/14/91

                           This is a 19th century
                           farm settlement located
                           in the valley just south
                           of the City of Lambert-
                           ville. Pleasant Valley
                           also lies in Mercer
                           County.




                           Mercer County




                      60
         West Amwell Township

                 Other Districts

See the Delaware & Raritan Canal Historic District
             in Delaware Township

                       and

New Market-Linvale/Snydertown Historic District
         in East Amwell Township.




                       61
62

								
To top