Missouri Geographic Information Systems Advisory Committee Annual Report Draft July 1 2007 – June 30 2008 TABLE OF CONTENTS TABLE OF CONTENTS

Document Sample
Missouri Geographic Information Systems Advisory Committee Annual Report Draft July 1 2007 – June 30 2008 TABLE OF CONTENTS TABLE OF CONTENTS Powered By Docstoc
					Missouri Geographic Information Systems
          Advisory Committee


           Annual Report Draft
        July 1, 2007 – June 30, 2008
TABLE OF CONTENTS
TABLE OF CONTENTS ................................................................................................. 2
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY .......................................................................................... 3
2. ANNUAL REPORT BACKGROUND ....................................................................... 5
3. VISION AND MISSION .............................................................................................. 5
4. THEME AREAS ........................................................................................................... 6
   4.1 MGISAC Administration                    6
     Meetings held in Jefferson City at the Conservation Department: ............................. 6
     Membership and Attendance: ..................................................................................... 6
     Executive Activity: ..................................................................................................... 7
     State GIO Report: ....................................................................................................... 7
     By-laws Changes: ....................................................................................................... 8
     Nominations: ............................................................................................................... 8
     Treasurer's Report: ...................................................................................................... 8
     Subcommittee Purpose, Goals, and Objectives: ......................................................... 8
   4.2 MGISAC Full Committee Projects 9
     Data Sharing: .............................................................................................................. 9
     Rural GIS Summit: ..................................................................................................... 9
     Phone Bridge:.............................................................................................................. 9
     NHD Grant Report: ..................................................................................................... 9
     FLAIR Act Support: ................................................................................................... 9
   4.3 MGISAC Subcommittee Reports 9
     Data Development: ..................................................................................................... 9
     Funding and Grants: .................................................................................................. 10
     Homeland Security/Emergency Management: ......................................................... 10
     Local Government: ................................................................................................... 10
     Outreach & Education: ............................................................................................. 11
     Strategic Planning: .................................................................................................... 11
   4.4 MGISAC Liaison Reports 12
     GIT Architecture (MAEA): ...................................................................................... 12
     Policy & Legislation: ................................................................................................ 12
     MSDIS Activities: ..................................................................................................... 12
     Missouri GIS Conference: ........................................................................................ 13
     MAGIC Consortium: ................................................................................................ 13
   4.5 Cooperating Agency/Organizations 14
     Federal/NRCS: .......................................................................................................... 14
     Federal/USGS: .......................................................................................................... 14
     Missouri Association of Councils of Governments (MACOG): .............................. 15
     Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership (MoRAP): ........................................... 15
     Missouri Mappers Association (MMA): ................................................................... 15
     Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors (MSPS): .............................................. 15
     National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC): .................................... 15
   4.6 Round Table Discussion                   16
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
Since there was no documented Annual Work Plan or Annual Agenda, this Executive Summary
will summarize the workings and actions of the Missouri GIS Advisory Committee (MGISAC)
based on the meeting minutes. The detailed report items are documented in the Theme Area
section below.

The Missouri GIS Advisory Committee meets monthly and includes representation from
Missouri State Agencies, Local and County Agencies, Federal Agencies, academia, and other
interested parties. A typical meeting consists of a standing agenda of reporting by the Missouri
State Geographic Information Officer (GIO), MGISAC Subcommittees, Liaisons to the
MGISAC, and Cooperating Agencies and Organizations. This report covers the period of July
2007- June 2008 as documented in Meeting Minutes. Below is a general summary of action and
discussion during the report period:

State GIO action:
     Development of the GIO position as relates to being a paid position.
     Focus on Strategic Plan (Mapping Missouri’s Future)
     Focus on Contracts relating to Imagery for the State
     Focus on State Contracts regarding geospatial software and hardware. (GIS and Global
        Positioning Systems (GPS))
By-laws Changes:
     Mostly regarding position of Treasurer and duties involved.
Membership Nominations:
     There were 5 nominations to the MGISAC, new or replacements for open seats.
Treasurer’s Report/Financial Action:
     Creation of the Treasurer position
     Creation of the Finance Subcommittee
     Appropriation of funds for the period for various MGISAC functions
     Beginning balance of $14,252.45, Ending balance of $13,058.52
MGISAC Full Committee Projects:
     Data Sharing Position Statement (discussions and development of an official position)
     Imagery for the State (development of aerial photo program and projects for Missouri)
     Rural GIS Summit
     MGISAC Treasurer position and Finance Subcommittee (creation and bylaws changes)
     Federal Lands Asset Inventory Reform (FLAIR) Act support
MGISAC Subcommittees:
     Data Development
            o Imagery for the State
     Funding and Grants
            o Fifty States Grant for Strategic Planning
            o CAP Grant for data collection in Southeast Missouri
     Homeland Security/Emergency Response
            o Project Homeland
            o Missouri Emergency Resource Information System (MERIS)
     Local Government
            o Working with Local Governments in conjunction with Outreach &Education
     Outreach & Education
            o Local and Regional Workshops
           o GIS Day
           o Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) Workshop
    Strategic Planning
           o Development of Mapping Missouri’s Future
           o Annual Report (2006-2007)
           o No Annual Work Plan (2007-2008)
    Finance
           o Newly created Treasurer position
           o Bylaws developed to govern position
           o Finance Subcommittee newly forming
MGISAC Liaison Reports:
    Geographic Information Technology (GIT) Architecture
           o Interest in Missouri Adaptive Enterprise Architecture (MAEA) diminished
              statewide
    Policy and Legislation
           o FLAIR Act
           o Management Association for Private Photogrammetric Surveyors (MAPPS)
              lawsuit
    Missouri Spatial Data Information service (MSDIS) Activities
           o Quarterly Reports                        o Clearinghouse Activities
           o Data Backups for Statewide Data          o Metadata Workshops
    Missouri GIS Conference
           o Planning Activities for 2009 conference
    Mid-America GIS Consortium (MAGIC)
           o 2008 Symposium
           o Random Access Metadata tool for Online National Assessments (RAMONA)
              (Now GIS Inventory) Grant from NSGIC
           o Cooperative Agreements Program (CAP) Grant for Metadata Workshops
Cooperating Agencies/Organization Reports:
    Federal/National Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
           o National Agriculture                             o LiDAR
              Imagery Program (NAIP)                  o Common Land Unit (CLU)
    Federal/United States Geological Survey (USGS)
           o National Map
           o Funding Partnerships
    Missouri Association of Councils of Governments (MACOG)
           o No Reports
    Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership (MoRAP)
           o Archaeology Database
           o Statewide Land Cover
    Missouri Mappers Association (MMA)
           o 2007 Conference
    Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors (MSPS)
           o Cadastral Standards
           o Cooperation of GIS and Surveyor communities
    National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC)
           o Imagery for the Nation
           o National Geospatial Advisory Committee (NGAC)
           o Council of Geospatial Organizations (COGO)
           o RAMONA (Now GIS Inventory)
Round Table Discussion (General topics of discussion at the end of each meeting):
    Imagery for the State White Papers         Mid-America Regional Council (MARC)
    Strategic Planning Activities                 Imagery Project cooperation with Imagery
    MAGIC Awards                                  for the State
                                                LiDAR Interest
                                                American Community Survey (US Census)
2. ANNUAL REPORT BACKGROUND
The Strategic Planning Subcommittee of the Missouri Geographic Information Systems
Advisory Committee (MGISAC) is tasked with maintaining the MGISAC Strategic Plan,
Annual Work Plan (July through June), and the Annual Report.

The relationship between the Strategic Plan, Work Plan, and Annual Plan has been an evolving
one, but generally, the Annual Work Plan is developed from the Strategic Plan, and the Annual
Report is developed by subcommittee chairs and co-chairs.

For the 2003-2004 period, MGISAC produced a task oriented Work Plan and an Annual Report.
The MGISAC Strategic Plan was adopted by the MGISAC at its December 2003 meeting. For
the 2004-2005 period, MGISAC produced a task oriented Work Plan and an Annual Report. For
the 2005-2006 period, MGISAC produced a task oriented Work Plan whose scope was extended
to the 2006-2007 period. There was also an Annual Report produced for 2005-2006 and for
2006-2007. The MGISAC Strategic Plan prescribes biennial updates which were to be
completed during 2005-2006. A Draft Review of the 2003 Strategic Plan was completed in
2006, at which time grant work began for the 50 States Initiative Grant later awarded to the
MGISAC to perform Strategic Planning. Work will continue at the GIO and MGISAC level to
develop work plan documents for pertinent areas of Mapping Missouri’s Future. For MGISAC,
there was no Work Plan for 2007-2008. Since the Annual Report should be based on the Annual
Work Plan, there will be no traditional Annual Report for 2007-2008. Instead, this report will
summarize the MGISAC proceedings according to the meeting minutes of the Monthly
MGISAC meetings, a review of recent documentation on the MGISAC website
(http://www.mgisac.org/Main/HomePage) as well as review the 2005-2007 Work Plan as if it
were extended to the 2007-2008 period.

The MGISAC, although it does not have a current Work Plan, does have an active subcommittee
structure. The subcommittees include Data Development, Funding and Grants, Homeland
Security, Local Government, Outreach and Education, and Strategic Planning. Subcommittees
have regular meetings and have standing items for reporting on all MGISAC regular meeting
agendas. Statewide coordination and communication of geographic information technology has
been a priority in all subcommittee activity.

The Strategic Planning Subcommittee has been in somewhat of a state of flux during 2007-2008.
As of July 2008, there is a chairperson but no structured committee. For this report, the Annual
Work Report was developed strictly through review of the full MGISAC committee meeting
minutes.


3. VISION AND MISSION
Upon review of the MGISAC Purpose and Objectives as well as the Vision and Mission stated
in the most recent MGISAC Strategic Plan and most recent Work Plan document, these items
parallel that of the content of Mapping Missouri’s Future Strategic Plan recently adopted by the
Missouri GIO. The terminology in the MGISAC Strategic Plan and the content contained in the
Bylaws are similar but have different names. The Strategic plan refers to “Vision and Mission”
while the Bylaws refers to “Purpose and Objectives”.


4. THEME AREAS
4.1 MGISAC Administration
Meetings held in Jefferson City at the Conservation Department:
       2007: July 12, Aug 9, Sept 13, Oct 11, Nov 8, Dec 13
       2008: Jan 10, Feb 14, Mar 13, Apr 10, May 7, June 12

Membership and Attendance:
       Ex-Officio Members: Tim Haithcoat, Tony Spicci, Mark Duewell
       State Members: Debbie Briedwell, David Finch, Bobbie Sue Koelling, Jeff Schloss, Beth
            Struempf, Mike Sutherland, Becky Veit, Arnold Williams, Colin Duewell, Matt
            Hesser, Renee Robinson
       Cooperating Members: Elizabeth Cook, David Drum, Mike Duncan, Ray Fox, Dawn
            Hilderbrand, Pam Kelrick, Curtis Koons, Kevin Kuhlmann, Jim LaScala, Steve
            Marsh, Gary Mook, Greg Resz, Ed Siegmund, Kim Swisher, Diane True, Sarah
            Murray
       Other Attendees at meetings: Mark Allen (Lafayette County), Josie Bock (Springfield),
            Tim Bohn (Surdex), Eric Foster (Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT),
            Renee Robinson (Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MoDNR)), Jamie
            Schieber (Custom Meeting Planners), Ed Turner (Surdex, Inc.), Kay Chilton
            (Hickory County Assessor), Tim Donze (Surdex, Inc.), Nathan Mattox (University of
            Missouri -Extension), Jeff Patridge (Missouri Department of Health and Senior
            Services (MDHSS)), Dan Ross (Missouri Chief Information Officer), Aaron Addison
            (Washington University), Bill Bott (Missouri Deputy Chief Information Officer), Joe
            Clayton (Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) & Missouri Society of
            Professional Surveyors (MSPS)), Jason Ebersole (MoDOT), Donna Rehagen
            (Missouri Department of Social Services), Melissa McClain (St. Louis County), Stan
            Balsman (Southeast Missouri Regional Planning Commission),
            Kim Burns (Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI)), Matt Hesser (State
            Demographer), Kurt Schulz (National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA)),
            Melissa Johnson (Cole County GIS), Brian Parr (MARC), Lindell Bates (Sanborn,
            Inc.), Paul Riechart (MoDOT), Tracy Schloss (MDHSS), Curt Schultz (NGA), Joe
            Clayton (MSPS), Brian Baker (The Sidwell Company), Sonny Sanders (City of
            Jefferson), Dave Gauseroll (City of Sullivan), Leslie Chamberlin (Camden County
            Management Information Systems/GIS), Ken Olive (Camden County Assessor's
            Office), J. Michael Flowers (MoDNR Land Survey Program), Robert Ross (MoDNR
            Land Survey Program), Darrell D. Pratte (MoDNR Land Survey Program), Jason
            Warzinik (Boone County GIS), Jonathan Bode (Boone County GIS), Rick Childers
            (City of Richmond), Justin Fristoe (Pioneer Trails Regional Planning Commission),
            Jason Hinsen (Geographic Resources Center, University of Missouri), Matt Kohler
            (MOREnet), Christian Oros (Missouri State Highway Patrol)

Executive Activity:
The Executive action taken during this report period included:
    Bid Western Half of Missouri State Imagery Project.
    GIO position filled as shared position.
    Transferred MGISAC Ex-Officio Membership position for MSDIS to Mark Duewell.
    Created Treasurer position in MGISAC, nominations and election held, Elizabeth Cook
           elected.
    Regular elections held Steve Marsh new MGISAC Chair, Pam Kelrick new Vice-Chair,
           David Drum re-elected Secretary.

State GIO Report:
The State GIO duties have been split during this report period between Tony Spicci and Tim
Haithcoat. The GIO reports on items of interest in the near future as well as status on statewide
efforts that are current or recently completed. Those items listed here are taken from meeting
minutes and may be detailed further in other sections of this report where applicable to a
subcommittee or other report:
     Imagery for the State Western Half: Request for Proposal (RFP) sent, Proposals
              returned, Awarded Contract. Eastern MO imagery (2006) finalized.
     Emergency Response/Homeland Security: Project Homeland (Department of Homeland
              Security/ESRI) envisioned to allow data to move back and forth during an event;
              State Emergency Operations Center was up and operational for ice storm.
              Community of Interest Meeting (COIN) on Emergency management & Homeland
              Security in Missouri.
     Fifty States Initiative grant used for Strategic Planning sessions and report to produce
              Mapping Missouri’s Future. Statewide meetings held, report and plan drafted and
              approved in 2008. Business Plans to follow.
     GIS Day Held at Missouri State Capital
     National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC) dues paid.
     Missouri GIS Conference 2009: Tan-Tar-A chosen as site. Work underway to plan the
              conference.
     Voting Precincts: 45 of 115 counties responded; Cadastral mapping state standard
              being drafted as legislation; Redistricting will not actually happen until 2010
              Census. Block Boundary Suggestion Project & Voting Precincts Project with Matt
              Hesser.
     State Trimble GPS purchasing contract: Lapsing Dec. 31; GIO planning to set up
              competitive bid process for a state contract; no other record in minutes of status.
     State ESRI contract : Lapsing Feb. 28, negotiations in progress; no record in minutes of
              status.
     LIDAR meeting scheduled to write/review sections of an RFP.
     Cadastral standards development will be restarted and completed by March or April
              2009; no other record in minutes of status.
     Graphic design bid came in extremely high and needs to be redone; no other record in
              minutes of status.
     Letter from MGISAC to NSGIC and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
              sent regarding redirection concerns of funding from USDA NAIP program.
      Governor's office, et al. want to map rural wireless internet availability. May have some
           input into the process.
      Discussed Earmark Joann Emerson got an earmark from the Dep't of Justice for $1.2
           million for oblique imagery, hoping to change that to LIDAR.
      Cadastral standards White Paper out to public from Dan Ross' (CIO) office; Panel
           discussion at Missouri Mappers conference. Looking at State Tax mapping
           standards. MSPS, MGISAC, Missouri Mappers Association (MMA), State Tax
           Commission (STC), Assessors all need to be involved.
      Missouri Digital Summit planning progress and geospatial component discussed.
      GIO attended MO Society of Professional Surveyors meeting concerning digital
           representation of cadastral mapping – issues and opportunities.
      Met with Terrago – makers of GeoPDF product. Worked towards a state master
           purchase agreement for their software; no record of status in minutes.
      State Agency GIS meeting hosted at Dept. of Economic Development. Well attended.
           Minutes provided.
      Google Earth meeting at Information Technology Services Division (ITSD). Dan Ross,
           Bill Bott, Tony Spicci, Debbie Briedwell, and 5 people from MoDOT were in
           attendance. The State will pursue the development of a Google Missouri website.
      National Hydrography Database (NHD): Expecting project to be completed by the end
           of the June 2008. Report available in July.
      Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) National Dialog on Access to Environmental
           Information

By-laws Changes:
      Changed language in Section 6.1 of MGISAC Bylaws
      Changed Bylaws to add a Treasurer position and language related to the position.

Nominations:
      Colin Duewell nominated from Department of Economic Development
      Matt Hesser, Donna Rehagen, Renee Robinson new members.
      Lance Huntley from East-West Gateway Council of Governments (EWGCOG) to
           replace Gary Mook who is retiring.
      Tracy Schloss from MDHSS to replace Debbie Briedwell who moved to SEMA
      Pending nomination of Debbie Briedwell from ITSD/SEMA

Treasurer's Report:
      Discussed having a Treasurer for MGISAC in December 2007. Subsequently changed
           bylaws to accommodate, opened nominations, and elected Liz Cook as Treasurer.
      MGISAC Balance began at MSDIS account at $14,252.45.
      Balance ended report period at MGISAC account at $13,058.52
      Outstanding payments: $1000.00 for Rural GIS Summit and GIS Day Coca-Cola bill.
      Finance Subcommittee not functional as of end of this reporting period.

Subcommittee Purpose, Goals, and Objectives:
For the 2006 Annual Work Plan, Subcommittee chairs were asked to submit a statement of
subcommittee purpose, and goals and objectives to be completed in 1-2 years. Upon review of
subcommittee sections of the MGISAC website, each subcommittee appears generally to have
provided a statement of purpose. Due to the lack of a full MGISAC Committee 2007-2008
Annual Work Plan, there has been no structured documentation of goals and objectives for
subcommittees with the exception of the Outreach and Education Committee. This committee
has a documented draft work plan that is task oriented, although it is not specifically tied to a date
period. The Strategic Planning Committee recommends that MGISAC prioritize subcommittee
action to define, refine, and document goals, objectives and an agenda of appropriate timelines to
accompany them.


4.2 MGISAC Full Committee Projects
Data Sharing:
       Chair for 2007-2008 desired a data sharing position/MOU within the year.
       Facilitated Data Sharing Position Discussion: A very broad discussion of a data sharing
            position to be promoted by the MGISAC Committee was facilitated by a trained
            volunteer - Jeff Patridge of MDHSS. Initial meeting lasted at least 2 hours and
            covered defining the issues by defining data and sharing.
       Data Sharing Position Statement drafted, reviewed, approval to be in 2008.
       Next steps to create Sample Memorandum of Understanding, best practices, etc.

Rural GIS Summit:
       Discussion of funding proposal. MGISAC voted to fund this initiative for $1000.
            MAGIC and USGS are also cost sharing.

Phone Bridge:
       Discussed phone bridge options for the MGISAC in light of billing and payments for
            current phone bridge services. Explored various options with no decisions made
            during this report period.

NHD Grant Report:
       Viewed a powerpoint presentation: Evaluating the National Hydrography Dataset and
           Stewardship Options for Missouri”.

FLAIR Act Support:
       Federal Land Asset Inventory Reform Act: Discussed sending letter of support from
           MGISAC in support of the federal bill; letter to be finalized and sent in last half of
           2008.


4.3 MGISAC Subcommittee Reports
Data Development:
       Imagery for the State: Third White Paper drafted regarding funding options and buy-ups.
       Imagery for the State: Imagery quality assurance (QA)/quality control (QC) for Eastern
            half of Missouri completed and delivered.
       Prepared RFP, received proposals, awarded contract for west half of Missouri aerial
            imagery. 68% of flight completed before halted due to leaf-out.
       Discussed next direction of data development: LiDAR, cadastral data, geodetic control,
            and next aerial photography project. status of prior year and next year flights.
     Discussed need for dedicated project manager for future imagery projects.
     Discussed cooperation of efforts: Possibility of cost sharing State Imagery and National
          Aerial Imagery Program (NAIP).

Funding and Grants:
     Fifty States grant awarded for Strategic Planning efforts including Outreach, Strategic
          and Business Plan components.
     Applied for 2008 CAP grant to collect critical infrastructure in the Southeast Missouri
          and Bootheel RPCs. RPCs were willing to contribute a match and coordinated with
          the Regional Homeland Security Oversight Committee. Did not receive CAP grant
          award, barely missed the cut. Looking at other avenues to continue project. MN,
          WV, IA, MD won awards. Grant application issues include state's coordination role
          being unclear and using University students for data collection.
     USGS gets partnership funding, but this year's money is used up. anything under
          $50,000 is pretty easy to justify.

Homeland Security/Emergency Management:
     Grant possibility from Leonard Wood Institute.
     Will support steering $125K to local efforts. 80% is supposed to go to local efforts.
          $125K is for GIS support.
     MERIS GIS project received $334,000. Looking to integrate Red Cross shelter database,
          integrating IRIS Systems transportation database. MERIS will be demonstrated on
          July 2, should move state forward significantly.
     Project Homeland
     NGA folks have been briefed.
     ArcServer grant will move into this activity.
     Goal is to have Missouri Information and Analysis Center geo-enabled.
     Focus is to build data in New Madrid earthquake zones downward from the most severe
          until the money runs out.
     Inauguration planning for 2009.
     No one with GIS background currently on committee; trying to add someone.
     Outlined architecture of system.
     Completion date in June.
     Briefed Public Safety Directors on GIS including funding on December 20th. Briefing
          published on the web.
     Meetings took place in the first two weeks of January.
     Work will plug into MERIS.
     Code being developed will be available to other agencies.
     Structures mapping ongoing. GPS units available to locals for structures mapping.
     No standards or processes, these are being developed.
     SEMA projects update was given; no detail in MGISAC meeting minutes.
     MARC is very close to having data sharing agreements with all its government entities,
          including being able to run the Emergency Operations Center (EOC). Database
          replication is nearing automatic status.

Local Government:
     Met with Attorney General staff. HB210 would appear to preempt Sunshine Law.
      Discussions held with Locals from Southwest portion of state regarding cooperation and
           coordination with State. They desire to work independently.
      Looking for subcommittee members.

Outreach & Education:
      Southeast Regional Geospatial Workshop planned for Aug 30 in Cape Girardeau.
      Had 59 registered, 51 attended for southeast regional meeting.
      Survey through Survey Monkey. Good response.
      Overall people really appreciated the meeting.
      Local presentations were well received
      Discussed need to continue to these presentations at future meetings.
      Subcommittee Chair (Mark Duewell) Has met some new folks at Missouri State
           University that seem open to working together.
      Lots of data sharing going on in the MARC area; there are some strings attached but it
           seems to be working well.
      Southwest Regional meeting on 10/4.
      Subcommittee was invited to the MO Assessors meeting after the West-Central Regional
           workshop
           o 80 in attendance
           o Meeting had a very good poster session and some excellent presentation content.
      Mark mentioned the next GIS Legislative Day and that a lead would have to be found
           for this activity.
      Bootheel workshop in Dexter in Spring (no date documented in minutes)
           o around 45 attendees.
           o Good mix of speakers.
           o MGISAC voted to contribute to the Bootheel workshop breaks not to
             exceed $100.
      GIS Day at the Capitol was March 31.
          o MGISAC provided two box lunches per table
           o MGISAC provided up to $1000 for popcorn supplies and soda/water
           o Poor turnout by the legislators as the legislative session did not start until
             4pm.
           o Discussed being advised to schedule in January before the State of the
             State address for 2009.
      Surdex - Tour of their facilities to learn about photogrammetry, aerial imagery, LiDAR,
          etc. collection and post-processing procedures
          o Was informative and successful.
      Metadata workshop in Oklahoma
      Worked on Northeast Regional workshop. (no reference in minutes to dates)
      LiDAR workshop planned for July 22, 2008 in Kansas City at MARC Offices.
          o MGISAC voted to fund $100.00 as sponsor of the LiDAR workshop.
          o Workshop for 30 people filled in one day.
          o Discussed possibility for LiDAR sessions at MO GIS Conference 2009 and also
               LiDAR Workshops in other areas around state.

Strategic Planning:
      Draft annual report for 2006-2007 on the web site for review and comment.
      Work Plan for 2007-2008 not completed due to pending Strategic Plan effort through 50
           States Grant.
      Chair of Strategic Planning committee changed from Pam Kelrick to Liz Cook to Eric
           Foster.
      Strategic Plan developed (Mapping Missouri’s Future) through 50 States Grant.
           Business Plans to follow.
      Development of draft of flowchart to show strategic planning process.
      Documented history of strategic planning and reporting efforts for inclusion in Annual
           Report.

4.4 MGISAC Liaison Reports
GIT Architecture (MAEA):
      Drop-off of interest in MAEA.
      Explored again a statewide geocoding license.
      Document on different standards maintained sent out by Tim Haithcoat.
      Only 2 MGISAC meetings contained reports for Geographic Information Technology
          Architecture. Recommendation to consider need for standing agenda item.

Policy & Legislation:
      FLAIR Act: (Federal legislation mentioned above)
           o During a good portion of the report period, this bill was lacking support. Later it
               gained sponsorship and was being considered for support by MGISAC as
               documented by minutes from most recent meetings.
           o MGISAC drafted letter of support, not approved for sending during this report
               period.
      Discussed a Recap of Management Association for Private Photogrammetric Surveyors
           (MAPSS) lawsuit outcome.
      Reported that a search of State legislative actions "Geographic" turned up 13 references
           and "Geographic Information Systems" turned up 5 references.

MSDIS Activities:
      Fourth quarter report (Apr 2007-June 2007) completed and posted to MSDIS website.
      Kansas backup of MSDIS data implemented.
      National Map backup completed.
      2005 CAP closed out successfully.
      Spent a lot of time on the regional workshops.
      Regional clearinghouse meeting 8/21. Missouri one of the leading clearinghouses.
           Discussed hosting and backup architecture. KS, MO, and AR already done.
      Discussed statewide database integration projects.
      Worked on marketing inventory tool formerly known as RAMONA.
      Worked on MAGIC Metadata triage workshop for the 8 state region.
      First quarter report (July 2007-Sept 2007) and fiscal spreadsheet completed and posted
           to MSDIS website
      New Data from MoDNR and a dataset from MoDOT posted to MSDIS website upon
           receipt.
      Worked on CAP grant focused on structures in the Southeast; Southeast MO and
           Bootheel RPCs participating.
      NAIP'07 completed and downloadable from MSDIS website.
      Second Quarter report (Oct 2007-Dec 2007) and financial report finished posted to
           MSDIS website.
      MSDIS retreat: Mostly about users, web site, and data.
      Helped with Project Homeland on hardware and data.
      Helped with planning a GIS consortium workshop in Kirksville August 20-21.
      Missouri Metadata Workshop was March 24 9am-3pm at the University of Missouri.
           Course is free and parking tags will be available. Have about a dozen new or
           updated layers to publish on web site.
      Third Quarter report (Jan 2008-Mar 2008) completed and posted the MSDIS web site.
      Worked on improving services and update times.
      Eastern state imagery (2007) is now available.
      Now charging commercial data harvesters.

Missouri GIS Conference:
      Jamie Schieber: have signed contract with Tan-Tar-a for 2/16-19/2009.
      Conference Planning:
           o Tony Spicci and Mark Allen: Conference Co-Chairs
           o Jim Lascala: Vendors
           o Diane True and Kevin Kuhlman: Social
           o Kim Burns and Hilary Perkins: Plenary Speakers
           o Steve Marsh: Program
           o Ray Fox and David Drum: Workshops
           o David Drum: Publicity
           o Mark Duewell: Awards
      Discussed proceeds from previous conference.
      Worked on Save-the-Date card.

MAGIC Consortium:
      Reported on MAGIC Symposium as Planning proceeded for 2008 Symposium in April
          2008.
      MAGIC receiving a RAMONA grant (through NSGIC). Grant will fund workshops.
      MAGIC revitalized its Homeland Security efforts.
      MGISAC voted to sponsor for the 2008 MAGIC Symposium - a booth slot and
          registrations (2) will result.
          o Liz C and Kevin K receiving free registrations for MGISAC.
      MAGIC was awarded a CAP grant to provide metadata workshops. Missouri's to be
          scheduled, (date not in minutes)
      Homeland Security workshop March 6-7; registration from Missouri is low.
      Record attendance at Symposium
          o Final attendance was above 650.
          o Exhibitor hall was sold out.
          o Workshops were full.
          o Pre-registration went extremely well.
      Nominations for MAGIC Officers opened in May. Elections in June.
4.5 Cooperating Agency/Organizations
Federal/NRCS:
     Funded for 10 additional rapid watershed assessments.
     May be able to combine leaf-off and leaf-on imagery.
     Farm Services Agency (FSA) land cover attribute is available in the public Common
          Land Unit layer.
     FSA Rep is interested in coordinating NAIP flights.
     Planning to fly a couple sites in the bootheel for LIDAR.
     Completed and received 4 county LiDAR project.
     USDA on a big privacy push with respect to personally-identifiable information.
     Delivered NAIP data to MSDIS and MoDOT .
     Met with MoDNR Dam Safety staff, regarding partnership for LIDAR acquisition.
     Have an opportunity to submit topics for an upcoming NAIP planning meeting.
          o Want NAIP to consider going back to color infrared (CIR)
          o Consider a leaf-off product.
          o Consider something besides MrSID compression.
          o Consider providing metadata in a format that will import into ArcGIS.
          o MO not being considered for Fiscal Year 08 flights unless there is state
               participation.
     Involved in private/public LiDAR Seminar in Springfield on March 11, 2008.
     Have LiDAR data collected for Sullivan, Linn, and Warren Counties.
     NRCS looking at collecting LiDAR in the Bootheel.
     Media LLC vs USDA puts CLU fully into the public domain. Farm bill language
          removes it from public domain.
     Discussed NRCS Wetland project.
     NCRS putting together a training package on photo interpretation.
     Discussed Coast Guard differential GPS discontinuance and MoDOT building a
          statewide, vendor-neutral public domain network.

Federal/USGS:
     Rolla and Denver offices will remain open, still scoping functions.
     Reenergizing the National Map. Working to acquire new/better data.
     Director of USGS will be at NSGIC Annual Conference.
     May have some funds to contribute to bootheel LIDAR.
     Working to obtain graphic representations of local's data to create better-looking topo
          maps.
     Presentation on the US National Grid.
          o Universal Transverse Mercator based
          o Originated about 10 years ago.
          o Fills the need for a uniform nationwide grid.
          o Response to the availability of GPS. Lat/lon was not the way to go; need to use a
              projection-based planar system.
          o Method of referencing a location with increasing detail.
          o For public safety, not a replacement for state plane or surveying systems.
     Starting the National Map 2.0 this spring.
           o    USGS talking to key customers about what the National Map should look like.
                What should version 3.0 look like? Tim H has been accepted nationally to
                provide input to survey.
      USGS liaisons from MO, KS, IA, NE met with their counterparts from the Kansas City
           Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) office to discuss USGS-FEMA
           cooperation in emergency response and other items of mutual concern – March 5,
           2008.
      Agreed to do the QA of the 1ft Cape Girardeau imagery.
      Planning an August 12th workshop "New Madrid Seismic Workshop" in Rolla.
      International Charter (satellite imagery) training. Must have a remote sensing specialist.

Missouri Association of Councils of Governments (MACOG):
There were no reports in any MGISAC Minutes for this report period. It is
recommended that a discussion take place to engage Missouri Association of Councils
Of Government (MACOG) or remove them from the standing agenda.

Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership (MoRAP):
      Discussed MORAP delivery of archaeology database to MoDNR.
      Working with Texas Parks and Recreation on vegetation mapping. Hope to have a
           methodology come out of this to easily map vegetation; ultimate goal would to be
           able to have an annual Land Use Land Cover layer. Joint technical committee
           meeting on April 4.
      Discussed interested in a statewide landcover

Missouri Mappers Association (MMA):
      Missouri Mappers Association Conference: July 30- Aug 1, 2007.
      Conference attendance down due to reassessment activities.
      2008 MMA Conference planned for August 7-8, 2008 at Port Arrowhead, Lake of the
           Ozarks.
      Tim Haithcoat will be keynote speaker.
      MMA could use MGISAC support and help.
      Discussed buying and ad in their quarterly newsletter promoting MO GIS Conference in
           2009.

Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors (MSPS):
      Discussed Martin's keynote at MMA 2007 in regards to the need for surveyors and GIS
           to work together and not to let the tools get in the way.
      Main concern for the last year has been the cadastral layer. MSPS feels that surveyors
           are beginning to recognize the benefits of GIS.
      Participating in Cadastral mapping initiatives. Preparing comments on white paper.
           Spring Workshop May 8-9, 2008 in particular afternoon of the 9th when cadastral
           standards will be discussed.

National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC):
      Imagery for the Nation:
          o Trying to get Imagery for the Nation fully funded.
          o Imagery for the Nation remains the highest legislative priority for NSGIC.
          o Will probably work it into the Hill visit during Mid Year Conference.
           o Suffering from lack of Farm Bill.
      Google and Microsoft crashed the NSGIC annual about getting state data.
           o NSGIC spoke to principals from both entities
           o Have a good relationship with Google, not sure about Microsoft.
           o Google willing to work with NSGIC on Imagery For The Nation (IFTN)
           o Google will sponsor mid-year and annual at some level.
      The NGAC is up and running.
           o National Spatial Data Infrastructure is their primary focus.
           o NSGIC will put together a coordination document.
      Learon Dalby is the incoming NSGIC president.
      A successful annual meeting was held in Madison, Wisconsin.
      Mid-Year Conference:
           o Combining our Capitol Hill visit with MAPPS this year.
           o Mid-Year breakfast with MAPPS to discuss Imagery for the Nation.
      RAMONA (Now GIS Inventory)
           o DHS and FEMA want to be able to use RAMONA in the event of a disaster, but
              need metadata from locals. Will fund up to 20 people to attend (and then they
              can stay for MAGIC).
           o Mike Mehaffie did a good job summarizing sessions. Met with many officials.
              RAMONA is now GIS Inventory.
      Council of Geospatial Organizations (COGO):
           o Purpose is to bring various national geospatial organizations together on a
              regular basis (MAPPS, NSGIC, etc.).
           o Provides a unified voice when it is called for.
           o NSGIC has to decide whether to affiliate with the COGO
4.6 Round Table Discussion
This section represents a summary of Roundtable items discussed during meetings throughout
the report period as noted in the meeting minutes:
     July/Aug 2007:
             o GIO Working with Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
                 (DESE), Department of Economic Development (DED), Missouri Economic
                 Research and Information Center (MERIC) on geospatial professions coding.
                 Discussed putting out Imagery for the State white papers. MGISAC
                 subsequently did this.
                 Discussed county model of statutes and legislation for real estate fees.
             o Discussed Strategic Planning Meetings
     Sept 2007:
             o Looking for state-owned buildings for strategic planning meetings.
                 MAGIC Award categories: lifetime special achievement award, consortium
                 award, GIS coordination, services, or innovation
             o QA/QC on 2007 imagery by MoDOT beginning as soon received.
             o MoDOT cleaning up linework in St. Louis, Kansas City, Springfield, and St.
                 Joseph.
             o Lafayette County aerial imagery 80% done.
     Oct 2007:
             o Renee Robinson has moved to a National Guard GIS position.
                 GeoPDF’s are being pursued as possible solution for new USGS mapping
                 update effort.
             o Trying to put a .Net apps class together.
   Nov 2007:
       o GIS Day, open house at 930 Wildwood. Hands-on demonstrations, etc.
       o Imagery delivery #2 going to MoDOT, got delivery #1 back from USGS and
           will be out soon. 60% through delivery #3, 20% through delivery #4.
       o MoDOT Road conditions on web site
       o New Jefferson City/Cole County data web site
       o ESRI will be at St. Louis Community College for GIS Day.
   Dec 2007:
        o Jackson County has two GIS positions open that will be posted on MSDIS.
        o Surdex will have a seminar on LIDAR; invitations going out.
        o MoDNR received a modest grant from USGS for some data development.
        o Straw poll on CIR vs Natural? tending towards CIR
   Feb 2008:
        o MDC hired a new GIS specialist. In full implementation of integrated data
           framework.
        o Concerns about timeframe of Western Imagery for the State RFP.
        o MARC has entered into another agreement to fly its region this spring, hoping to
           coordinate with western Imagery for the State.
   Mar 2008:
        o MoDOT mainline railroad layer being built. Money from MoDOT drying up.
        o MoDNR: public land, counties, etc. updated and at MSDIS. GIS Web Service
           now available, similar to Center for Agriculture, Research, and Environmental
           Science (CARES) map room. www.dnr.mo.gov/internetmapviewer
        o Interest in LIDAR from MoDNR, NRCS, USGS. Trying to arrange a meeting to
           coordinate LIDAR efforts. Jeff S: will look for a 1pm-3pm meeting next
           Tuesday to discuss LIDAR.
        o Kevin K: running for State Rep for district 13. www.kevinkuhlmann.com
   May 2008:
        o National Guard has been working with SEMA on network/server issues.
        o MoDNR: two datasets going up soon, invertebrate monitoring sites. One month
           into web-based editing project; going well.
        o US Census: the long form survey is gone. The American Community Survey, a
           rolling survey, is a year or two into use. Three-year data will be available in
           December; five-year data is planned, which will have data similar to the long
           form survey. ESRI has a chief demographer who has done two really good
           articles on the subject. News->Arc User->April 2008->Sample Size Matters and
           Changes and Challenges: Understanding the American Community Survey
           Data.. New population estimates are available on our web site.
        o Municipal GIS conference at the Lake
        o MARC photography sample set bound for USGS will also go to the State and
           become part of the western state imagery.
        o new population estimates are available on our web site.
   June 2008:
        o National Park Service parcel layer related to the need for FLAIR
        o Draft MO GIS Conference 2009 workshop schedule available
        o MoDOT: Old highway maps scanned and available on MoDOT web site.
           Beginning edits on new highway map.
        o EPA dialog comment period open.
        o MGISAC should look into funding for GIS coming from new transportation bill.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Description: Llc Vs Dot American Global Et Al document sample