1 Gender Male
2 Age 25
3 Length of time using the internet/ Date? 4-5 years
4 Days a week uses the internet every day
5 Hours a week uses the internet 1 per day
6 How long have you been using mobile phones? /Date 4 years
7 Network Provider NAME
8 How long have you been with this network provider 2 years
9 Monthly Expenditure (all calls, texts, mms etc) £20.00
10 Have you previously visited any websites from mobile phone/other tele-
communications and/or service providers?
Which were these?
11 What did you use these for? checked use on NAME
website as had just been
abroad. Check NAME2 last
time the account was up for
renewall 'I always like to see if
there is a better offer out there'
12 What did you think of them? Difficult to remember, but did
find the information needed on
account.Hand to visit a
NAME2 shop as the site
NAME Website (Open prototype home page)
13 What is your first impression? What crosses your mind when you see Looks familiar (colours logo),
this page? generally don't pay attention to
Please also note non-verbal reactions. it and just get into account
straight away. "There is a lot
going on here"
14 What is the first thing you see on this page? This offer about the new
handset stands out because of
Task 1: Check Your Spending for this month
15 Home page: Immediately selects the option
Please imagine that you are a customer of NAME and that your name required
is John Smith. You have been using your phone to browse the Internet
a lot this month so would like to check how much of your monthly
allowance you have left
Correct Navigation Path - 'My Account'
- Are they able to find the correct option?
- Does the user experience any difficulties on this page?
16 Page:NAME I want to see what I've spent
Correct Navigation Path 'NAME' this month straight away'
Otherwise the options seem
- What do you think of this overview? sensible, but doesn't
- Does it contain the right information? understand Data Charge.
- What is most important to them? Wants to see the bill in the
- What do you expect to see when you open your bill? same format as paper bill
17 Page: "NAME" Recognises it and knows it is
- What are the participant's first impressions? his due to the name, phone
- Is this what you expected to see? number and address at the
- Can you tell how much you have spent this month? top. Reads out correct amount
- Can you describe in your own words the other information on this (£20). The layout seems fine
page? but wants to see the total for
- Is there anything missing? the current month at the top of
the page rather than the
bottom 'It’s the reason that I'm
going to go there, I want to see
it straight away'. Everything
else seems find as it looks like
paper bill, but would like to be
able to link to previous bill.
18 Task completed? Yes, no problems
Task 2: Check NAME Options
19 Background start thinking about new phone
- When do you start thinking about renewing/changing accounts? 2 to3 months before contract
(avoid using the word upgrade) end. Like a new phone and
- What is most important to you? expect it to be a good one if
- What do you expect/want to see from your current provider? (probe they've spent a lot "I can go to
to see how attractive a longer cheaper 18 month contract is) any company I want, I don’t
like being taken for granted".
Expects recongnition based
upon number of years as well
as recent phone bills. May
think about a longer contract
'but the deal has got to be
better than this (points to
20 Page: 'NAME' hesitates and doesn’t see
Correct Navigation Path "My Bill? option in right column. 'I think
- What would they do to find out what they are eligible for? I'd go to the main website
instead'. Then notices 'Your
upgrades'. 'I nearly missed
that, but this is the most
important think I do every year'
21 Page: 'Your Upgrades' It looks like a normal selling
- What is their reaction to this page? page' unclear whether targeted
- Is it what you expect? at them or just generic
- Can you tell me in your own words what you think of the offers? information. The design clear
(probe to see if they feel they are tailored to them) apart from that. Able to
Ask them to imagine that they are don't need a new phone, what is the describe each of the 6 options
best thing on offer? on offer, but can't see a link to
Correct Navigation Path - 'NAME' see any more phones (which
they would expect). Initially
misses the non phone offer, as
it has an image of a person
holding a phone above it 'that
person is holding a phone'
24 Task completed?
Task 3: Buy the latest NAME handset
29 Task completed?
31 Task completed?
34 What did you think of the website?
35 Name 3 things you liked?
36 Name 3 things you disliked
37 Would you use it in future?
User 1 User 2 User 3
User 4 User 5 User 6
User 7 User 8 User 9