Minutes of Senior Leadership Team Meeting
10.00 a.m., Tuesday, 1st December 2009
1. Present : Chief Superintendent Hamilton (Chair)
Detective Chief Inspector Worth
Police Constable Cooper
Apologies: Chief Inspector O’Connor
Chief Inspector McFarlane
2. Minutes of Previous Meeting
These were agreed as an accurate record.
3. Actions from previous meeting
All actions complete from previous meeting.
4. Update on Force Performance Meeting and TP Meeting
CS Hamilton gave an overview on points raised at TP.
One of the points raised was shared services, i.e. outsourcing some Finance
and HR services. GMP are looking at automating a lot of the transactional
finance systems over the next couple of years, this in turn will have an affect
on staff numbers, movement of staff etc. in the longer term
FLT focused on CJ and confidence. ACC Shewan had stressed the need to
“get the grease to the squeak” referring to the fact that we are putting in a lot
of effort and achieving reductions in ASB but that effort and success is still not
being reflected in perception reports.
CS Hamilton advised that the key communication points from the Force
Performance Meeting prepared by PJ to support face-to-face local briefings
had been distributed by email to the SLT.
Vehicle crime and detections to be discussed under item 7b
Finance is a central concern – under item 9
Briefing standards are key force issue
Action – CI McKay to check custody officers and staff know who our top
target offenders are, so “premium service” can be offered at every
Action – Supt Berry to let HQ know that the briefing SPOC has changed.
Action – Supt Berry to respond to HQ by 7th Dec re divisional usage and
awareness of staff of licensing powers
Action – Supt Berry to consider use of Z scores in crime pattern analysis and
to task SL to build more MSBCU comparison into divisional performance
5. Tameside Policing Model/QUEST
Friday ‘End to End’ process and quality improvement meetings set up to start
this week. In future the Thursday meetings will initially be SLT led to cover
NIU and Quest progress to date followed by the Hub development with the full
Re potential for civilianisation of customer contact posts - RM advised that
those staff on a redeployment list are offered precedence for posts before
Plan submitted on time but forcewide amendments to style and content
anticipated. Divisional visit from central team awaited
7. Balance Performance/Delivery Plan Update
(a) Trust and Confidence
Satisfaction Survey not distributed to all.
Action – CC to ensure distribution to SLT (done)
It was advised that the trend for racist incident satisfaction has moved
upward since it was handed over to NPT, which is encouraging.
Unfortunately still too low on satisfaction on follow up/actions across
the crime spectrum – hopefully Quest changes in Q3 should show an
It was advised that the Force Leadership Team has undertaken some
Mystery Shopping on ECO’s telephone answering. Tameside result
was disappointing. All other information present, apart from not
having PACT priorities on display. Russell Lawson advised that OCR
staff are using the external website for GMP to get up to date PACT
Action Supt Berry to liaise with Chief Inspector McFarlane to
determine PACT priorities and ensure they are passed to OCR/PST.
Action RL to ensure PACT priorities are displayed in enquiry counter
It was advised that ECO’s do not know who is coming in to the station
and it takes them a long time to determine who they have come to see
or why they have come in.
Action – Supt McKay to speak to Inspector Lees to clarify with ECO’s
how they are informed re bailbacks etc.
Action – Supt Berry to speak to Inspector Ennis to produce an
electronic universal diary and publicise it on the Division for our
(b) Crime and Disorder
Superintendent Berry gave an overview of licensing, and advised that
recent and current expedited reviews/meetings with pub management
were proving positive.
Christmas staffing discussed.
Recent burglary spike discussed – have had to withdraw some staff
from B Div Storm job to address local spikes. One team arrested
already and spike slowed. “Ring of steel” approach used to deter other
team pending investigation to arrest being completed.
Vehicle crime and detections discussed – local and force risk. CSI
improvements made re attendance at hotspots. If we had sufficient
resource CSI working closely with PC attending each crime would
ensure that blood/DNA captured. VCT researcher looks at series
Robbery still a concern – some NPT ops planned and business op
also in place for Christmas.
The series/offender based approach of VCT is working well and they
are clued up on TIC. Just need to develop interview champion role of
our Tier 5 interviewer (DC McKenzie) to skill up PPU and NIU.
Hate crime close to target.
RM gave an overview of the sickness figures.
October not showing a good picture, 19% over target for Police
Officers, 119% over target for Police Staff and 164% over target for
Individual long-term sick absentees not discussed, 9 long-term cases
between 29 days to 3 months.
Performance appraisals end date is 31 December 2009.
Action – RM to issue a blanket reminder to management/supervisors
to undertake appraisals before the end of the year and follow up with
specific info re outstandings.
Action – Supt Berry suggested some generic objectives in appraisals
on quality of primary investigation and victim care so intends to
undertake some preparation for discussion
Action – PC Cooper to arrange thematic
Under item 9
(e) Team Level BPMs
Supt Berry advised that he had met with the Chief Inspector on the F
Division who had been doing some work on Balanced Performance
Framework for QUEST divisions and a draft set of objectives has been
8. Critical Incident Review
OPUS still experiencing difficulties
Hyde Disorder flagged as a potential
Action: Supt McKay to get update from the Hyde partnership meeting – is
9. Financial Situation
JY gave an overview of the current financial position. It was advised that the
Division is £229k overspent after 7 months.
JY advised that if November to March budget can be adhered to and together
with RAG (Red Amber Green) savings shown on spreadsheet the division
may break even.
It was discussed that Police overtime is a major spend on the Division and
this needs to be cut down. It was agreed budget amounts MUST be enforced
and all overtime forms should be authorised by an Inspector and submitted
daily, not at the month end. In this way a more regular up to date picture can
be captured of the current spend on overtime. It was agreed that only one
person should be claiming overtime when dealing with prisoners.
Action – JY to draft an email for Supt Berry to distribute advising staff that
overtime forms need to be signed by an Inspector, approved before overtime
is carried out, submitted daily and will be collected from Inspectors offices at 7
Action – JY to look at PPU overtime to determine retained prisoner costs and
report back to Supt McKay.
RL gave an overview of the Media Business Statement, Operation Treacle,
Children in Need event run by CH and the new Community Update posters
that were going out this week.
It was advised that it is intended that tax disc holders be distributed with
logo’s advising car owners to lock away their valuables, and ice scrapers are
to be distributed with the message for owners not to leave their car keys in
their cars while they defrost them.
It was advised that it was Rape Awareness week and Tameside Radio will be
doing a slot on this on our behalf.
Ricky Hatton will be fronting Crimestoppers on our behalf.
‘Mock Hotel’ leaflets were well received by the SLT, it is intended that these
are distributed through neighbourhoods in the near future.
Supt McKay discussed her idea for a ‘Confidence DVD’ and advised she
would be seeking some funding for this.
PJ gave her feedback on how the SLT today had been carried out and gave
advice on how information should be cascaded to all staff as soon as
possible, preferably face to face during meetings.
11. Any Other Business
Ch Supt raised Diversity as not on agenda -
Supt McKay advised that she had attended a Diversity conference concerning
communication which she had found very interesting and gave some
feedback on the speakers/topics discussed. Diversity and promoting
PC Carmel Cooper advised that Mr Sweeney was attending.
Development plan for PBG and NAT was discussed. Cost between £6k - £7k
some funding from NPT budget underspend may be available to matchfund
Action Supt McKay to speak to CI McFarlane to possibly providing between
£1k – £2k GMP funding to assist with this.
CS Hamilton advised that Volume Crime Team are undertaking a diagnostic
visit in the near future. It was agreed that crime screening/filing were the
areas to be looked at, if anyone had further ideas to let her know.
Update: - PC Cooper has spoken to DCI Mangan, a new structure for A&D
work is being co-ordinated during the amalgamation of CD & P with LPIB and
it will be based on force threats.
DCI Worth advised that she had attended a meeting to discuss interviewing
and it was found that student officers undertake 12 days of interview training
which should be utilised to its full potential on the division. DCI Worth went
on to advise that we now have a Tier 5 interviewer in DC Kath McKenzie.
12. Date of Next Meeting
January 5th 2010 at 10.00 am