Missouri Constitution Study Guide
Worth 50 points
Directions: In order to graduate from Lafayette, you must pass the Missouri Constitution Test.
You simply need to “pass” the test to fulfill the school requirement, however, the grade you earn on the
test will also be figured in to your quarter grade for this class. This is due on
1. What is the governor’s term of office?
2. How many terms can he or she serve as governor?
3. What are the qualifications for governor?
4. List the duties of the Lieutenant Governor, Treasurer, Auditor, Attorney General & Secretary of State.
5. List the duties of the Governor.
6. What is the State Commander in Chief?
7. Who has the power to grant commutations, pardons, and reprieves? Define each.
8. What is the order of succession upon the death of the governor?
9. What is the line item veto?
10. What is the General Assembly?
11. Who serves as the President of the Senate?
12. What is an initiative? What is necessary to get an initiative on the ballot?
13. What is a referendum?
14. How many members are in the House? What are their Qualifications?
15. How many members are in the Senate? What are their Qualifications?
16. What are the lengths of terms for a state representative? How many terms may they serve?
17. What are the lengths of terms for a Senator? How many terms may they serve?
18. Missouri’s Representatives and Senate are divided into districts based on what?
19. What is the job of the General Assembly?
20. Who is the presiding officer in the House of Representatives?
21. Who is the presiding officer in the Senate?
22. Explain the difference between a general election and a primary election.
23. When are Missouri general elections?
24. What happens after an amendment has been passed in the General Assembly?
25. What is the Hancock Amendment?
26. What is the sequence of how a bill becomes a law?
27. What is a filibuster?
28. How long do Missouri Supreme Court judges serve?
29. How many Missouri Supreme Court judges are there?
30. How are Missouri Supreme Court judges selected?
31. Explain the following types of courts: Court of Appeals, Circuit Courts, Supreme Court.
32. What is the hierarchy of the court system? (Highest court to lowest court)
33. What are municipal courts? What is small claims court?
34. Explain the difference between a grand jury and a trial (petit) jury.
35. What are the qualifications for being on a jury?
36. At what age are you no longer considered a juvenile in Missouri?
37. What is the capital of Missouri?
38. When did MO become a state?
39. When was the current Missouri Constitution written?
40. Who is the only President from Missouri?
41. What are the requirements to vote in Missouri?
42. What is the significance of the Motor-Voter Law?
43. What is reapportionment?