Job Description for MIS
Job Title: MIS Manager
Responsible to: Finance and Resources Manager
Responsible for: e-Learning Developer, MIS Administrators
Location: John Ruskin College, Selsdon Park Road, South Croydon,
Grade: Points 42-44 on the salary scale for Support Staff
Hours: Full time (i.e. 36 hours per week, 52 weeks per year)
Job Aim: To manage and maintain college management information
systems and to ensure their effective use.
1) To manage and maintain computerised records of students and
courses; enrolment, induction, and timetables.
2) To provide accurate and timely information as required for college
management and external returns.
3) To manage the input and output of ILR data (individual Learning
Records), ensuring external deadlines are met and internal reports
4) To liaise with the relevant parties to ensure that the college’s
computerised systems are managed and maintained effectively.
5) To advise staff on methods of accessing information and to provide
in-house training for staff in the use of MIS systems and other
computerised systems as appropriate.
6) To write and maintain a set of reports to meet the needs of all
college staff and to develop a web based reporting system across the
7) To supervise and delegate work to the MIS Administrator and e-
Learning Developer as appropriate and ensure that appropriate
quality standards are met.
8) To develop new systems to respond to the changing needs of the
9) To ensure that MIS data is accurate and robust ensuring that reports
are accessible and to all staff.
10) To advise the college on MIS issues and the implications of funding
and all funding changes
11) To ensure MIS service level agreements are set and reviewed
12) To liaise with auditors where necessary on any area of MIS.
The postholder will be required to:
perform any other duties as may be reasonably requested by the
participate in appraisal and professional development as appropriate.
carry out their duties with due regard to the college’s policies on equal
opportunities, health and safety and quality assurance.
This job description will be kept under review and may be amended from time to time,
following consultation with the postholder, to reflect changing organisational needs.
Person Specification for
Essential Education and Qualifications
Good level of general education
Evidence of continuous professional development within the field
Successfully completed or working towards an IT related
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Experience of working with MIS (unite) or equivalent MIS systems
for a minimum of 3 years
High level of IT skills appropriate to this post, especially the use of
Access and/or SQL databases
Experience of working with national and local data online, e.g.
LSC Gateway Provider
Well developed written and oral communication skills
Good time management and organisational skills
Successful experience of managing staff
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
Experience of working in a college or school setting in a senior
Experience of training others in use of software
Experience of completing ILR (Individual Learning Record) system
for college funding.
Experience of using Pro Achieve or similar software
Essential Personal Characteristics and Aptitude
Good team player
Flexibility in dealing with a wide range of tasks
Experience of using ILT in the curriculum
Ability to manage several projects at once
Ability to work on own initiative
Accuracy and attention to detail
A commitment to equal opportunities