The Roloff Family
Little People, Big World
Matt Amy Jeremy and Zach Molly and Jacob
• Matt’s dwarfism is the result of the third most common
cause of short stature known as diastrophic dysplasia.
• Matt stands just over 4 feet tall.
• As a child Matt spent a great deal of time in the hospital
recuperating from numerous surgeries on his legs
because of his diastrophic dysplasia.
• While recuperating in the hospital Matt spend a great
deal of time daydreaming about what he missed during
his childhood. As a result, he established the Roloff
farm. It is a 34 acre farm located just outside of
Portland, Oregon. The Roloff farm includes attractions
such as a Pirate Ship, a Tree House, and a Western
• Matt makes use of crutches or a motorized
scooter to get around.
• Matt founded his own company called Direct
Access Solutions intended to assist those
afflicted with dwarfism staying at hotels.
• Matt belongs to the Little People of America
• Amy is 43 years old and works part-time as a preschool
• Amy’s dwarfism is the result of the most frequently
diagnosed cause of short stature, achondroplasia (one
per 26,000 to 40,000 births), a genetic condition that
results in disproportionately short arms and legs. Amy
has not suffered any complications as a result of her
• Amy is also an active member of Little People of
Jeremy and Zach
• Jeremy and Zach are 16 year old twins
• Jeremy is average height
• Zach has achondroplasia, like his mother.
• Zach has had numerous medical complications
including having a shunt placed in his head to
drain excess spinal cerebrospinal fluid
Molly and Jacob
• Molly is 13 years old and is average height
• She enjoys playing volleyball
• Jacob is 9 years old and the youngest of the
• Jacob is average height and enjoys playing soccer
on a team coached by his mother.
• Achondroplasia is a type of genetic disorder that
is a common cause of dwarfism. People with
this condidtion have short stature, usually
reaching a full adult height of around 4 feet.
The average adult male and female heights are
51.8 and 48.6 inches tall.
• Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is a clear bodily fluid
that occupies the subarachnoid space in the
brain (the space between the skull and the
cerebral cortex). It is a very pure saline solution
with microglia and acts as a “cushion” or buffer
for the cortex
• As a result of diastrophic dysplasia, a condition
that negatively affects bone and joint structure,
Matt must use assistive devices to aid his
Direct Access Solutions
• Focuses on mobility and accessibility products for little
• The key product is the Short Stature Accessibility Kit, a
product marketed to hotel chains that provides the
tools little people need for a safe hotel room stay.
• These products include custom stepstool, reach
grabber, closet rod adapter, security latch adapter, and
• Hotels that carry the Short Stature Accessibility Kit
include Marriott Hotels, Hyatt Hotels, Country Inn and
Suites, and Radisson Hotels and Resorts.
Mobility and Accessibility Products
Closet rod adapter
Security latch adapter
Little People of America
• Little People of America (LPA) is a nonprofit
organization that provides support and
information to people of short stature and their
• LPA provides a variety of resources including
medical, discussion, support groups, and events
• Matt, Amy, and Zach Roloff are members of
LPA. Matt has also served as President.