on holding the International Scientific and Practical Workshop
«Ashes of TPPs – removal, transport, processing, landfilling»
The International Scientific and Practical Workshop«Ashes of TPPs – removal, trans-
port, processing, landfilling» took place in March 23, 2007 in the House of Culture of MPEI for
the first time in Russia.
Official languages of the workshop : Russian and English. Before the scientific event the
following materials in Russian and English have been printed : materials containing data on organiz-
ers and members of the Organizing Committee; information on organizations render ing financial
support on organization and holding the workshop; agenda and proceedings. Presentations of the
papers and discussions were accompanied by sim ultaneous interpretation.
Founder of the workshop ― Moscow Power Engineering Institute (Technical University).
Organizer of the event ― Informational and Analytical Center "Ecology of Power Engi-
neering" of MPEI (IACEE MPEI).
Finance support to the workshop have rendered Magaldi Power S.p.A (Italy), Fortis Connect
GmbH on behalf of Separation Technologies, LLC (USA) and Clyde Bergemann Materials Ha n-
dling Ltd (England)
Informational support was rendered by scientific and practical magazine «Industrial ecol-
The accredited specialized printed editions:
1. Scientific and practical magazine «Industrial ecology».
2. Scientific and technical magazine «Energy saving and water treatment ».
With a brief welcoming word at opening the workshop from the Founder spoke the pro -
rector on scientific work of MPEI (TU) N.V. Skibitsky. The basic idea of his speech was that in
connection with the outlined tendency to increase in a share of coal in fuel balance of electric power
industry the volume of ash and slag production from TPPs will grow, but the level of their benefi-
cial use in Russia for the present is inadmissible low. Therefore , for information exchange on re-
sults of applying the best available technologies in the countries of the world community and di s-
cussion of prospects on essential increase in a share of beneficial use of ashes and slags from TPPs
in January, 2007 administration of MPEI (TU) under offer of IACEE MPEI has made a decision on
off-schedule preparation of the workshop and its holding in the shortest terms, i.e. in March 23,
The workshop agenda has been made as a result of analysis of the key issues with a view of
effective solution of the ash problem in Russia taking into account experience of the countries of
the world community on beneficial use of coal combustion by -products from power plants. For e ach
key issue one presentation has been planned. Representatives of authoritative Russian and foreign
organizations and firms effectively working in the field of ashes and slags and correspon ding nature
protection technologies of TPPs were offered to prepare presentations. As a result the follo wing
workshop agenda has been formed:
1. Analysis of the world trends and prospects on solving the problem of ashes from TPPs (V.Y.
Putilov, I.V. Putilova MPEI (TU), Russia)
2. Processing Plants for Fly Ash in Europe (W. Lewandowski, H.-J. Feuerborn – ECOBA, Ger-
3. About possibilities of "environmental" financing of investments projects (Y.L. Maksimenko -
National Pollution Abatement Facility Executive Directorate, Russia )
4. Application of pneumomechanical bottom ash remova l technology at coal-fired power plants
and waste incineration plants (V. Cianci, D. Coppola - Magaldi Group, Italy)
5. Fly ash beneficiation: an update on Separation Technologies (James D. Bittner and Stephen A.
Gasiorowski - Separation Technologies, LLC., U SA)
6. Application of fly ash removal and disposal technology – opportunity of significant increase of
reliability, profitability and environmental regulatory compatibility of coal fired power plants (M.
Heeley, Y. Kolomiiets - Clyde Bergemann, England)
7. Influence of slag removal technology on harmful power boilers emissions (V.R. Kotler, A.V.
Shtegman - JSC “All-Russian Thermal Engineering Institute”, Russia)
In the workshop agenda time for other substantial presentations from Russia or cou ntries of
the world community which could appear after transfer of the workshop materials for printing, has
been stipulated, and also time for discussions and a dialogue with representatives of mass-media has
In addition to the agenda an interesting presentation has made a representative of the JSC
«Ural Power Engineering Center» Vishnya B.L. on the theme “Results of tests and operation of ash
mixers of UralORGRES designs at Narva power plants”.
In the workshop took part 51 representatives of Russian and foreign high schools, power
companies and TPPs, research, design and specialized organizations, and also represent atives of the
accredited specialized printed editions. Among pa rticipants of the event there were two post-
graduate students of MPEI (TU) and one post-graduate student of the JSC "VTI". At the worksh op
firms and organization from Russia, England, Ge rmany, Italy, USA, Ukraine and France have been
Diplomas of the workshop founder - MPEI (TU) and the Organizing Committee have got
the following participants of the event:
1. ECOBA - for activity on beneficial use of coal combustion by-products from thermal power
plants in the countries of the world community;
2. NPAF Executive Directorate - for the effective help at development and organizatio n of fi-
nancing the investment projects on reconstruction of power enterprises and manufac tures in
view of environmental legislation in Russia under international standards;
3. Magaldi Group - for development and creation of economically effective and ecol ogically
sound bottom ash removal installations of thermal power plants;
4. Separation Technologies, LLC - for development and creation of installations on processing
dry ash of thermal power plants with the purpose of increase of fuel consumption efficiency and
improvement of consumer properties of ash;
5. Clyde Bergemann - for development and creation of economically effective and ecolog i-
cally sound systems of transporting ash of thermal power plants;
6. Employees of the JSC "VTI" Kotler V.R. and Shtegman A.V. for development of the ana-
lytical report on influence of bottom ash/slag removal technology on harmful emissions of
7. Publishing house of MPEI for essential contribution to the edition of scientific, technical
and reference books on nature protection technologies in electric power industry.
Diploma of the workshop founder - MPEI (TU) was awarded to IACEE MPEI for organizing
and holding the first in Russia International Scientific and Practical Workshop «Ashes of TPPs –
removal, transport, processing, landfilling».
Letters of thanks of the workshop founder MPEI (TU) and the Organizing Committee
have been directed to:
1. the collective of the hotel complex MORF «Lefortovo» for assistance in holding the In-
ternational Scientific and P ractical Workshop «Ashes of TPPs – removal, transport, processing,
2. the collective of the House of Culture of MPEI for creative approach to making condi-
tions for comfortable holding the International Scientific and Practical Workshop «Ashes of TPPs –
removal, transport, processing, landfilling».
At discussion of preliminary results of the workshop participants have stated the fol-
lowing basic conclusions and wishes:
1. holding for the first time in Russia the International Scientific and Practical Workshop on a
problem of ashes from TPPs under initiative of MPEI (TU) is rather duly and useful;
2. the workshop agenda contains the basic key issues for effective solution of a problem of ashes
from TPPs in Russia;
3. expressing gratitude to the firms Clyde Bergemann Materials Handling Ltd (England), Separa-
tion Technologies, LLC (USA) and Magaldi Power S.p. A. (Italy) for financial support o wing to
it was possible to hold the workshop at a high scientific, technical and organizational le vels;
4. approving the Organizing Committee activity on edition of the workshop proceedings with the
full texts of the papers in Russian and English before its work and organization of simultaneous
interpretation of presentations and discussions resulting in increase of efficiency of holding the
scientific and practical event;
5. considering to be expedient wider participation in the workshop of representatives of coal-fired
power plants and power holdings in Russia and countries of the world community for i nforma-
tion exchange on problems and opportunities of creatin g economically effective and ecolog i-
cally sound ach removal systems of TPPs ;
6. asking administration of MPEI (TU) to consider the question on regular holding the interna-
tional scientific and practical workshop on a problem of ashes from TPPs.