More information from http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/1083590/
Design, Execution, and Management of Medical Device Clinical Trials
Description: An essential introduction to conducting the various stages of medical device clinical trials
Clinical research continues to be one of the most vital components of pharmaceutical, biostatistical,
and medical studies. Design, Execution, and Management of Medical Device Clinical Trials provides
a uniform methodology for conducting and managing clinical trials. Written in a style that is
accessible to readers from diverse educational and professional backgrounds, this book provides an
in-depth and broad overview for successfully performing clinical tasks and activities.
Throughout the book, practical examples compiled from both the author's and other researchers'
previous clinical trial experiences are discussed in a sequential manner as they occur in the study,
starting from the development of the clinical protocol and the selection of clinical sites and ending
with the completion of the final clinical study report. Next, readers are guided through the
development of important clinical documents, including informed consent forms, case report forms,
and study logs. A careful review of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and International
Conference on Harmonisation (ICH) regulations applicable to medical devices is also featured.
Additional coverage includes:
- Qualification and selection of investigators
- Study monitoring visits
- Definitions and reporting procedures for adverse events
- The use of biostatistical methodology in clinical research, including the use of biostatistics for
sample size determination and study endpoints
- The roles and responsibilities of all members of a clinical research team
The book concludes with an insightful discussion of special ethical conduct for human research and
challenging issues to consider during the design of clinical studies. A glossary lists important clinical
and statistical terms used in clinical research, and an extensive reference section provides
additional resources for the most up-to-date literature on the topic.
Design, Execution, and Management of Medical Device Clinical Trials is an excellent book for clinical
research or epidemiology courses at the upper-undergraduate and graduate levels. It is also an
indispensable reference for clinical research associates, clinical managers, clinical scientists,
biostatisticians, pharmacologists, and any professional working in the field of clinical research who
would like to better understand clinical research practices.
Contents: List of Abbreviations.
1 An Overview of Clinical Study Tasks and Activities.
- Key Clinical Study Tasks and Activities.
- Discussion of Key Tasks and Activities.
- Management of Key Clinical Tasks and Activities.
- Exaple of the Spread Sheet for Managing Clinical Study Activities.
- The Clinical Research Team.
2 Development of Clinical Protocols, Case Report Forms, Clinical Standard Operating Procedures,
Informed Consent Form, Study Regulatory Binder, Study Research Agreement, and Other Clinical
- Clinical Protocol.
- Case Report Forms (CRFs).
- Example of the Case Report Form Template.
- Informed Consent Form (ICF).
- Instructions for Use of Device.
- Study Regulatory Binder.
- Study Research Agreement.
- Research Agreement Template.
- Research Contract Challenges.
- Clinical Forms and Certificates.
- Clinical Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
3 Qualifi cation/Selection of Study Investigators and Study Monitoring Visits.
- Qualifi cation and Selection of Investigators.
- Monitoring Visits.
- Monitoring Reports.
- Interim Monitoring Visit Report Template.
4 Adverse Events Defi nitions and Reporting Procedures.
- Adverse Event Definitions.
- Policies, Regulations, and Guidelines Regarding Adverse Event Reporting.
- Adverse Event Reporting Pathway.
- Terms for Causality Assessment.
- GAPS/Challenges in Adverse Event Reporting.
- Adverse Event Reporting Time Periods (21 CFR 803).
- Differences between the United States and Europe in Reporting Adverse Events.
- Serious Adverse Event Narratives.
- Classifi cation of Adverse Events.
- Special Requirement for Reporting Certain Adverse Events.
- Case Example.
- Mandatory Device Reporting for FDA-Approved Devices.
5 Statistical Analysis Plan (SAP) and Biostatistics in Clinical Research.
- Statistical Analysis Plan (SAP).
- Selection of Study Endpoints.
- Biostatistics in Clinical Research.
6 Final Clinical Study Report.
- Final Clinical Report’s Outline.
- Discussion of Sections in the Final Clinical Report.
7 Medical Device Regulations, Combination Product, Study Committees, and FDA-Sponsor Meetings.
- Medical Device Regulations.
- Combination Products.
- Study Committees.
- FDA-Sponsor Meetings.
- Registration of Clinical Trials.
- Implementation of the HIPAA Privacy Rule in Clinical Research.
- Institutional Review Boards (IRB).
- FDA’s Oversight of Clinical Trials (Bioresearch Monitoring).
- Code of Federal Regulations of Medical Devices.
8 Design Issues in Medical Devices Studies.
- Design of the Clinical Trial.
- Assumptions and Parameters of Clinical Trial Design.
- Clinical Trials’ Design Issues and Data Analysis Issues.
- Use of Historic Controls as the Control Group in IDE Studies.
- Summary of Recommendations When Using Historic Controls.
9 Investigator-Initiated Clinical Research.
- Defi nition and Examples of Investigator-Initiated Clinical Research.
- Development, Conduct, and Management of Investigator-Initiated Clinical Research.
- Regulation of Investigator-Initiated Clinical Research.
- Required Infrastructure for Investigator-Initiated Clinical Research.
- Clinical Research Sponsored by NIH.
10 Ethical Conduct for Human Research.
- The Nuremberg Code (1947).
- World Medical Association—Declaration of Helsinki (1964–Present).
- National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research
- The Belmont Report (1978).
- Special Ethical Concerns in Clinical Research on Use of Placebo.
- Glossary of Clinical Trial and Statistical Terms.
Ordering: Order Online - http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/1083590/
Order by Fax - using the form below
Order by Post - print the order form below and sent to
Research and Markets,
Page 1 of 2
Fax Order Form
To place an order via fax simply print this form, fill in the information below and fax the completed form to 646-607-
1907 (from USA) or +353-1-481-1716 (from Rest of World). If you have any questions please visit
Please verify that the product information is correct.
Product Name: Design, Execution, and Management of Medical Device Clinical Trials
Web Address: http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/1083590/
Office Code: OC8HOOOLOMTRS
Please select the product format and quantity you require:
Hard Copy: EURO €69.00 + Euro €25.00 Shipping/Handling
Please enter all the information below in BLOCK CAPITALS
Title: Mr Mrs Dr Miss Ms Prof
First Name: Last Name:
Email Address: *
Postal / Zip Code:
* Please refrain from using free email accounts when ordering (e.g. Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL)
Page 2 of 2
Please indicate the payment method you would like to use by selecting the appropriate box.
Pay by credit card: American Express
(for Diners Club only)
Pay by check: Please post the check, accompanied by this form, to:
Research and Markets,
Please transfer funds to:
Pay by wire transfer:
Account number 833 130 83
Sort code 98-53-30
Swift code ULSBIE2D
IBAN number IE78ULSB98533083313083
Bank Address Ulster Bank,
27-35 Main Street,
If you have a Marketing Code please enter it below:
Please note that by ordering from Research and Markets you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions at
Please fax this form to:
(646) 607-1907 or (646) 964-6609 - From USA
+353 1 481 1716 or +353 1 653 1571 - From Rest of World