Depute Head Teacher
• Whitburn Academy already has a good ethos of
• Challenging groups in S1.
• Groups of de-motivated pupils in S3 - S4. It was
felt that steps could be taken earlier.
• Desire to be proactive. Introduce steps to work
with pupils at an earlier stage.
• Enthusiasm….to do something about it!
• Support pupils at an early stage in secondary
• Builds on relationships and increases self
esteem. Links with our school priorities and
• Helps with behaviour / social / emotional needs.
• Social learning : safe environment.
• Identifies where there have been gaps at an
earlier stage and gradually fills these gaps
• It works.
• Enthusiasm…from others.
HOW WE STARTED
• Support from Educational Psychologists.
• Support from SLT: to build on current good
• 2 day Training session in school: including input
from Music Therapist/ Burnhouse.
• Visits to other established groups.
• Spread idea among staff, especially discussing
with current support staff.
• Identified nurture room: central corridor
set up on “home background” style.
• Whole staff awareness: also as part of our ethos
on building relationships.
• Staff identified and trained: CPD training end
September will be attended by additional staff.
• Profiling pupils using Boxall Secondary Profiles:
starting with small group: once S2 group
running, consider S1.
NURTURE… THE FUTURE
• Make a Difference……
• Equip pupils to cope better as they proceed
through school: build confidence and self
• CYPT team planning to work with parents.
• Feedback to staff: keep Nurture in the forefront.
• Support from trainee Educational Psychologist.
• Monitoring and evaluating group and
communicating with staff and parents.
• A prime role in meeting needs of all pupils.