SHELTERING ARMS SENIOR SERVICES
TITLE: Personal Care Assistant
REPORTS TO: Client Care Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Home Care Services
JOB SUMMARY: Under general direction, provides assistance with personal hygiene and grooming,
may also provide assistance with light housekeeping, shopping, laundry, errands,
transportation, meal preparation, and companionship services to enable clients to
remain independent and in their own homes.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
1) Provides the following services as specified in the client's Service Delivery Agreement:
A. Personal care services, such as:
1. Assistance with bathing (tub or shower).
2. Assistance with dressing, grooming and hair care.
3. Reminding client to take prescribed medication(s).
4. Assistance with toileting.
5. Peri-care assistance.
6. Assistance with nail care (filing with emery board only).
7. Assistance with shaving.
8. Assistance with oral care.
9. Applying non-prescription lotions.
10. Stand-by ambulation.
B. Routine housekeeping services (in client’s area only), such as:
1. Changing linens.
2. Mopping, vacuuming, sweeping floors.
4. Cleaning kitchens and bathrooms.
5. Cleaning stoves and ovens (exterior only).
6. Disposing of garbage.
C. Nutritional services, such as:
1. Assisting with meal planning.
2. Grocery shopping.
3. Meal preparations.
4. Assistance with feeding.
D. Routine maintenance of clothing and linens such as:
1. Personal laundry.
2. Light ironing.
E. Escort services, such as accompanying client to clinic or doctor appointments using public
transportation, client’s vehicle, or worker’s vehicle.
F. Reading and writing services, such as assisting client with correspondence and payment of bills.
2) Provides clients with considerate, supportive and non-judgmental assistance.
3) Reports changes in client’s status to supervisor; offers input regarding the needs of the client so that
appropriate services may be provided to the client.
4) Completes required paperwork accurately and in a timely fashion.
5) Attends required Agency meetings.
6) Wears clean scrubs and comfortable, closed-toe shoes.
7) Performs other duties as required and within scope of practice.
1) Must meet at least one requirement listed below:
A. At least one year experience with direct patient care in a nursing home or hospital setting.
B. At least one year experience within the last five years of direct patient care in home health
2) Ability to communicate with individuals who may have sensory or memory impairments.
3) Good interpersonal and organizational skills.
4) Able to follow oral and written instructions and complete all paper work accurately and neatly.
5) Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and minimum auto liability insurance.
6) Must be willing to travel within a 25 mile radius of primary residence.
7) Bilingual (Spanish preferred) skills a plus.
8) C.P.R. and First Aid Certifications a plus.
9) Must be able to lift or transfer up to 50 lbs.
Physical demands: Work is laborious. Requires bending, lifting and transfering up to and
including 50 lbs, and assisting clients with personal care.
Work environment: Work is performed in clients’ homes, most are not handicapped-accessible.
My signature certifies that I have read (or had read to me) and understand the information in this
Employee Signature Date