C2 BAY AREA NEWS GROUP 111 MONDAY, APRIL 11, 2011
Tunes on the go Store songs
Here are some of the new Internet music services that offer access to millions of songs and an
on phone to
alternative to Apple’s dominant iTunes-iPod digital music platform.
Service Description Desktop and mobile cost Mobile access Desktop, laptop versions Web connection
Rdio On-demand music service $9.99 per month iOS, Android, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry Web, Google Chrome Web Store app Yes
Mog On-demand music service $9.99 per month iOS, Android, BlackBerry Web, Google Chrome Web Store app Yes
Amazon Cloud Drive Online music storage, streaming "locker" service Free (up to 5 gigabytes storage) Android only Web No
Slacker Radio Plus Streaming Internet radio service $4.99 per month iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, BlackBerry Web No
Rhapsody On-demand music service $9.99 per month iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, BlackBerry Web, Google Chrome Web Store app Yes
Source: Mercury News reporting MERCURY NEWS
Music own. Amazon Cloud Drive
allows users to store up to 5
gigabytes of music for free
service Pandora, where users
pick an artist and allow the
service to automatically se-
none of my more than 300
Facebook friends is using the
relatively new service.)
favorite indie bands from the
’80s, like San Francisco-based
Translator, The Dream Syn-
“Thankfully, artists still put
a lot of effort into” album art,
said Malthe Sigurdsson, a Rdio
Continued from Page 1 (roughly 1,000 songs), with lect similar music. But unlike Without a doubt, the cool- dicate and The Feelies, and executive. “We think it makes
up to 20 gigabytes free for a Pandora, Mog allows users to est thing about the services is they all were there. But Rdio it that much more expressive,
if your hard drive gets cor- year if you buy an album from create a channel playing mu- that you can check out virtu- had almost nothing from one and it’s just an anchor for the
rupted, forcing you to pay Amazon’s online MP3 store. sic only by that artist, or to ally any artist you can imag- of my favorite artists, New user experience.”
Steve Jobs twice for the same The no-frills, somewhat utili- slide a bar to gradually mix in ine, and there’s no buyer’s re- England folkie Bill Morrissey, Unlike Mog, Rdio allows
songs. tarian service works well, al- tunes from similar artists. morse if you hate the album. while Mog had almost every- you to search for other mu-
Mog and Rdio, both of though it does not allow users If you start with a chan- On a recent long drive back thing by Morrissey. sic without opening another
which are based in the Bay to stream music to an iPhone nel playing only Social Dis- to the Bay Area, my wife and But you get the idea: window in your browser. But
Area, essentially allow users or iPod — one signal that an tortion, for example, as you I played “Stump the Cloud” While the two services have I preferred Mog’s mobile app
to rent unlimited access ($9.99 Apple service is soon to hit move the bar to the right, instead of counting license differences in coverage on over Rdio’s, which crashed
a month for both services) to the market. Mog gradually adds tunes by plates, searching Mog and the fringes, you have to wan- repeatedly on my iPhone, par-
libraries of about 10 million “Our focus was on build- Merle Haggard, Elvis Pres- Rdio through the apps I’d der pretty far from the main- ticularly when AT&T’s net-
songs (and growing). San Di- ing a player that would allow ley, The Distillers and The downloaded to my iPhone for stream to ﬁnd holes in their work strength was sketchy.
ego-based Slacker Radio is customers to buy their music Bedwetters. “We put a major the most obscure songs we collections, with the notable Mog’s sound quality when
expected to soon announce a once and play it anywhere,” emphasis on the passive lis- could remember. exception of a few artists played through the iPhone
similar on-demand service, said Sally Fouts, a spokes- tening experience,”said Mog “Rock On,” the 1973 Top like the Beatles, AC/DC and app was particularly impres-
and Rhapsody is the long-term woman for Amazon. “We want CEO David Hyman. 40 hit by the otherwise for- Bob Seger. While the Beatles sive. Hyman said Mog’s com-
incumbent. For all these ser- to make shopping for and Rdio, meanwhile, empha- gettable David Essex? Of and their record label, EMI pression technology and 320
vices, the downside is that if playing digital music easy and sizes a social network model course Mog had it. Ditto for Group, recently reached a kbps streaming rate provides
you stop paying the monthly convenient for our customers, to music discovery. It allows 1960s crooner Bobby Golds- deal with iTunes, those art- quality better than CDs, and
fee, you not only lose access and we think that this model subscribers to “follow” other boro’s “Honey,” and a slightly ists are among the few to that sounded accurate to
to the online catalog, but any accomplishes that.” audiophiles and industry off-center Glen Campbell avoid digital music stores. me. Joni Mitchell’s piano on
music you’ve stored on your With on-demand services, sources for musical sugges- tune my wife somehow knew, I liked the appearance and “River” sounded unbelievably
phone for times you don’t have the music choice is so over- tions, just as you follow peo- “You Better Sit Down Kids.” functionality of Rdio, which clean, streaming through my
an Internet connection. whelming that a major differ- ple on Twitter. You can also Mog didn’t do as well with allows you to save music iPhone with a 3G connection
With Amazon’s new ser- entiation between Mog and use your social connections Quicksilver Messenger Ser- to your iPhone or Android into the car stereo.
vice — and with the widely Rdio is in how users discover on Facebook and Twitter to vice, the 1960s Bay Area psy- smartphone from your desk-
expected new streaming mu- music. Mog emphasizes a see what your friends are chedelic rock band. top computer without touch- Contact Mike Swift at
sic services from Google and “radio station” format, simi- listening to on Rdio. (I found I tested Rdio’s compre- ing the phone, and also em- 408-271-3648. Follow him at
Apple — you don’t rent, you lar to the Internet streaming this feature of little use, since hensiveness with some of my phasizes colorful album art. Twitter.com/swiftstories.
The new versions of the three Web browsers allow users to block Wolverton little way of knowing that.
Firefox users can
supplement this system by
tion to Internet Explorer.
The browser allows users
to automatically create
program for Chrome called
“Keep My Opt-Outs.” The
program prevents users
advertisers and websites from tracking their movements online.
Here’s how to turn on their anti-tracking features. Continued from Page 1 installing an add-on pro- anti-tracking lists. Internet from accidentally deleting
gram called AdBlock Plus Explorer can monitor who their anti-tracking prefer-
Mozilla Firefox 4.0 is focusing its anti-tracking and then subscribing to a is providing content such ences when they delete their
1. Click on the “Firefox” button (Tools menu in Windows XP if Menu Bar is efforts on promoting a new list of known advertisers as ads or videos on the cookies.
open) in the upper-left corner of the browser window. “header” field. Headers are and networks. As it sounds, Web pages users visit. The “Keep My Opt-Outs” is
the information that brows- this program blocks most browser assumes that if more effective than the Do
2. Click on “options” (or “preferences” on a Mac).This will bring up the op- ers transmit to sites when Web ads from appearing a third party is delivering Not Track header, because
tions dialogue box. users request Web pages. when users download pages, content to more than a few the anti-tracking prefer-
3. Click on the “advanced” button. They tell Web servers things but it has the side benefit of websites, that third party ences it protects are already
4. In the “Browsing” area on the “advanced” section, click on the box next to such as what page is being preventing tracking. is probably tracking Web supported by many of the
“Tell Web sites I do not want to be tracked.” requested and what browser Unfortunately, AdBlock users. Once a user sees major advertising networks.
the visitor is using. Plus is a blunt tool. It blocks content from that provider But “Keep My Opt-Outs”
Note: This turns on a “Do Not Track” header, which few websites currently Mozilla’s idea is to most ads — including ones on a certain number of sites, isn’t built into Chrome and
recognize. For added protection against tracking, users can install AdBlock include in that header you may want to see — but Internet Explorer will start Google doesn’t advertise it
Plus, an add-on program that blocks ads and prevents tracking by many Web information a field that by default, it doesn’t block blocking that provider. within the browser, so con-
operators. To do so: would inform websites of all tracking, because it tar- Unfortunately, like Ad- sumers have to know that it’s
1. Click on the Firefox button (or “Tools” in the menu bar on a Mac). users’ tracking preferences. gets advertisers, not other Block Plus, these automatic available and take the extra
2. Click on “Add-ons.” The system would work like firms that track users. lists are blunt tools that may step to install it. And if they
a kind of beacon, alerting Microsoft’s anti-tracking end up blocking content that want to opt out of tracking,
3. Click on the “Get Add-ons” tab. websites and advertisers solution is very similar to users actually want to see. they have to take another
4. Click in the search box on that Web page, type “adblock plus” and hit enter that users don’t want to be what’s available for Firefox, Google is taking a different step and find the sites that
5. Click on the “install” button next to AdBlock Plus.You’ll then be prompted tracked. except that it doesn’t tack with Chrome. Many allow them to set their
to restart your browser. Mozilla’s Do Not Track require users to download Web advertisers already preferences. In other words,
system has the potential to a separate program. When allow consumers to opt out of Google’s anti-tracking system
6. After that, you should return to the Add-ons Web page. Click on the “Ex- be a powerful tool for Web users turn on “tracking being tracked and receiving isn’t one-click easy.
tensions” tab.This should give you a list of add-ons you’ve installed. surfers. protection” in Internet so-called targeted advertise- The good news is that
7. Find the AdBlock Plus extension and click the “Options” (or “Preferences” Unfortunately, the sys- Explorer, the browser will ments. To do so, consumers if you’re concerned about
on a Mac) button underneath it. It should show that you are subscribed to a tem has a big problem: few send out the same Do Not have to visit particular web- having your online move-
subscription list. By default, this list is likely to be EasyList or Fanboy’s List. websites are presently set Track header that Mozilla is sites that have been set up by ments monitored, you can
8. Open up a new tab. Go to https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/ This up to recognize or respond promoting. the advertisers or industry do something about it. But
will take you to EasyList, a site that puts together lists of Web advertisers to Mozilla’s Do Not Track Additionally, Internet Ex- groups. When consumers blocking such tracking is not
and trackers. (If you have Fanboy’s list, go to http://www.fanboy.co.nz/ad- header. That means that for plorer allows users to sub- click on ad networks that they as easy or as comprehensive
block/.) now, even if Firefox users scribe to lists of advertisers want to opt out of, the sites as it ought to be.
9. Under “EasyPrivacy,” click on the link to “Add EasyPrivacy to AdBlock
turn on the Do Not Track and Web companies whose save cookies — or small files
Plus.” This will bring up the “Add AdBlock Plus filter subscription” dialogue
feature, they almost cer- tracking they want to block. — to the users’ browsers. Contact Troy Wolverton at
box. (On the Fanboy page, you’ll want to click on the link to “Add Fanboy
tainly will continue to have They can even subscribe to Unfortunately, those 408-920-5021 or twolverton@
Tracking list to Firefox”; you may be prompted to add the Fanboy AdBlock list
their movements monitored some of the same lists used cookies can be easily de- mercurynews.com Follow him
first.) This will bring up the “Add subscription” dialogue box.
by marketers. And because by AdBlock Plus. leted. at www.mercurynews.com/
tracking is typically invisible But Microsoft added on Google’s solution is troy-wolverton or Twitter.
10. Click on “Add subscription.” to end users, they’d have an extra layer of protec- a small, optional add-on com/troywolv.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0
1. Click on the settings button in the upper-right corner of the browser
window (it looks like a gear).
2. Click on or mouse over “Safety.” This will bring up a submenu.
3. Click on “Tracking Protection.” This will bring up the “Manage Add-ons”
dialogue box. IN CUPERTINO
4. Make sure “Tracking Protection” is selected under the list of “Add-on
Types.” Then click on “Your Personalized List.”
5. Click the “Enable” button in the lower-right hand corner of the dialogue
Note: This does something similar to turning on the “Do Not Track” feature EAST BAY DEAL
in Firefox, although Internet Explorer will also start automatically creating a Round Table Pizza
list of blocked operators by monitoring the third-party content served up by
the sites you visit. Rather than waiting to generate a list, users can simply for $24 of Pizza,
subscribe to a pre-existing one. To subscribe to one such list: drinks & more
1. Open up a new browser window.
2. Go to https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/ 17 East Bay Locations
3. Scroll down to the box that says “EasyPrivacy Tracking Protection List”
SOUTH BAY DEAL
4. Click on the link to “Add EasyPrivacy Tracking Protection list to Internet
Explorer 9.” This will bring up the “Tracking Protection” dialogue box. Piercey Toyota
Turn your UCSC Extension
5. Click on “Add List.”
$ .88 for lube, oil inspection, and
filter, tire rotation, TESL Certificate into a USF
Google Chrome 10
wash. (Reg. 79.99)
1. Open up a new browser window.
2. Go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore. This will take you to the
Chrome Web store. University of San Francisco’s Cupertino Campus offers
3. In the “Search the store” box, enter “keep my opt outs” NORTH BAY/SF DEAL
an accelerated M.A. in Teaching English as a Second
4. Click on the icon for Google’s Keep My Opt Outs extension.This will take Wink Optics/Sunglass City Language for students with a TESL Certificate from UC
you to the Keep My Opt Outs page in the Chrome store.
5. Click the “Install” button on the right side of the page. Wait until Chrome $ for single vision lenses
w/ anti reflection coating
Santa Cruz Extension. All classes are held in Cupertino
confirms that it has installed the extension. (Value $240) one evening per week for one year. Enroll now and
6. In the “Description” box on that page, click on the link to http://www. begin working on your degree this fall.
Mill Valley/San Anselmo
7. The page that loads will tell you what ad networks you may already have NEW! SANTA CRUZ DEAL
opted out of.
8. After the site finishes analyzing your browser settings, click on the “All El Jardin Restaurant LEARN MORE AT AN INFORMATION MEETING
Participating Companies” tab. From here you can select individual networks for $30 worth of fine When: Monday, April 11 at 6 p.m.
and tracking companies you can opt out of. Or you can click on “Select All Mexican dining and
Shown” to choose all of them at once. drinks Where: USF Cupertino, 20085 Stevens Creek Blvd.
9. Click on the “Submit your choices” button. RSVP: (408) 255-8106 or email@example.com
Note: AdBlock Plus is also available for Chrome and represents an alterna-
tive to the Keep My Opt Outs method. Chrome users can search for and
install AdBlock Plus from the Chrome Web store.
Educating Minds and Hearts to Change The World
Source: Mercury News research SAN FRANCISCO CUPER TINO SACRAMENTO SAN RAMON SANTA R OSA