J S 3 ENGLISH LANGUAGE HOME was reported in Nigeria, the disease has like
wildfire. By 1991, the number had gone up
SECTION A: LANGUAGE to 209. Nobody knows the exact number
Answer questions 1 and 2.Your answer
today as many cases go unreported.
should be about 200 words long. You are
free to use the hints below each question
and/or any other appropriate one. Experts are of the opinion that
1. Write an essay on the topic: The
the disease is so nearing
Subject I like Most.
epidemic proportions that by
i. Introduction e.g. the name of the the year 2010, about one and a
subject. half million cases may be
ii. Why you like the subject. diagnosed in the country. In the
same vein, the World Health
2. You have just come back from a Organization (WHO) reports
long vacation which you spent with that by that time, five million
your uncle in Lokoja. Write a letter
children throughout the world
of appreciation to him and tell him
the experiences you had on your way will be orphaned as a result of
back home. the death of their affected
i. Introduction and greetings. There is no doubt that the virus
ii. Mention some of the things he did
is contained in the blood and in
iii. Narrate some of the other bodily fluids; therefore
experiences you had on your the main way it is passed from
one person to another is
through sex with an infected
SECTION A: LANGUAGE
person. Other ways include
Read the following passages carefully and
through blood transfusion and
then answer the questions that follow by
the use of unsterilized needles
choosing the most appropriate of the options
or knives used for operations.
letter A-E (Nos.1-10)
Many countries are now
suffering from the scourge of
Since 1986, when the first Acquired
AIDS. Nigeria with a
Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) case
population of around 100
million remains Africa’s most
populous country. It is clear
that unless drastic steps are
taken by the government, the
nation will have a big problem
on her hands.
Unfortunately, despite the
seriousness of the disease, there
is still widespread ignorance
about it especially in rural areas
where AIDS is widely
attributed to the activities of
witches and juju. AIDS is a
condition in which immune
system in our bodies that
protect us from disease
becomes powerless. This
results into the fact that the
cells in our bodies cannot fight
any more. After a period of
between eight and fifteen years,
the victim dies.
Adapted from: Junior
1. The writer says that the disease has spread like wildfire. This means that
A. The disease attacks with fire.
B. The disease has rapidly become widespread.
C. The disease is very dangerous.
D. The disease is very painful.
E. Anyone can be infected with fire that is wild.
2. According to the writer, Nigeria will have a huge problem on her hands unless
A Government takes serious measures.
B. People can identify AIDS patients.
C. People look after AIDS victims.
D.People in rural areas are better
E. The problem reduces in rural areas.
3. According to the writer, the illness is caused by.
A. a breakdown in the power of the immune cells
B. blood transfusion.
E. the HIV virus.
4. The writer says AIDS can be contracted through any of the following EXCEPT
A. Having sex with the infected person.
B. Kissing the infected person
C. The use of unsterilized needles
D. The use of unsterilized knives.
E. Through blood transfusion.
5. The writer is of the opinion, that
the number of AIDS patients in Nigeria today is
D. 3, 135.
From the words lettered A to D, choose the word or group of words that best completes each of
the following sentences.
6. Adamu is a very good friend on ...... I can rely.
7. I ought ...... the letter by now.
a) to be sent
b) to have being sent
c) to have sent
d) to have to send
8. Toyin’s fever was so acute that she ...... an injection.
a) had to have
b) had to had
c) must have
d) ought to have
9. I know of a cow ...... has only three legs.
10. I don’t know what to do with these children. They are always fighting.....
c) one another.
d) each of them.
11. He acts as if he ...... the general manager.
a) is been
c) has been
d) is being
12. The National Essay Competition came ...... on the 23rd of February, 2010.
13. The man ...... missed death during the collision.
14. If the two boys ...... been bitten by the snake, they should be taken to the hospital.
15. I started writing at 9 a.m. It is now 10am. By 11 a.m., I ...... writing for 2 hours.
a) will be
c) will have been
d) have been
16. My ...... to you, students, is to be good.
17. Eze has not heard from his sister Ada since she ...... to the United Kingdom.
a) has gone
b) had gone
c) had been going
18. My mother has employed a new….who prepares our meals.
19 . Your parent’s father is your
b) Grand brother
c) Grand father
d) Great-grand father.
20 . Make sure you see the ------- before taking any book away from the library.
From the words lettered A to D below each of the following sentences, choose the word or
group of words that is nearest in meaning to the underlined expression as it is used in the
21 . My choice of a partner would be based on character, not looks
22 . Amina is the one who initiated the
quarrel, not Nike!
23 . She was reprimanded by her boss for negligence.
24 . It soon became obvious that a confrontation was inevitable.
25. The police announced that they were yet to apprehend the criminals.