1. In the kingdom _______________ the cell wall contains the chemical peptidoglycan. These
organisms are ____________ since their organisms contain single celled bodies.
2. ____________ organisms cannot make their own food. These organisms may live off of dead
and decaying matter. They are called _____________. If an organism lives off of a living host
they are called ____________. If an organism can make its own food it is called a(n)
3. Since bacteria are single-celled organisms it is very hard to study them without a good
microscope. The outer covering of most bacteria is composed of a slimy material. This is called
the __________. It functions are _____________________________________.
4. Bacteria contain _____________ chromosome. It is located in the __________ area pf the cell.
The ribosomes of the cell produce ________ so the bacteria can grow and reproduce. Many
bacteria can move using their _____________.
5. When a bacterial cell reproduces asexually it is called ____________. During this process it
___________ as the cell prepares to divide. This is different from what occurs to a cell during
mitosis. Each daughter cell is __________ the size pf the original cell.
6. The sexual form of a bacterial reproduction is called ____________. During this process the
two bacterial cells ____________ during the first step of the process. A special cytoplasmic
tunnel, called the _________ is produced connecting both cells. This connection allows one of the
cells to ____________ to the other cell. Some bacteria have small circles of DNA called
7. ______________, ____________, ______________, and _______________ are examples of
bacteria. Many of the bacteria are helpful. Some live in the soil and help plants use __________
as a fertilizer. The plants that contain root nodules are called __________. These nodules contain
bacteria that turn ___________ into fertilizer.
8. If all the bacteria in the world were killed off today, discuss the major things that would
9. In the space below, draw and label a typical bacterial cell.
10. Explain what happens to a bacterial cell during binary fission.
11. Bacteria are classified according to shape. The round bacteria are called ___________ while
the rod shaped bacteria are called ________________. The corkscrew shaped bacteria are called
12. Bacteria can also be classified according to gram staining. A purple colored bacterium is also
called a(n) _____________ bacterium, while a pink colored one is called a(n) _______________
13. If an organism must have oxygen in order to survive it is said to be ____________.
14. If atmospheric oxygen kills the organism, it is said to be _____________.
15. _________________ is an example of a photosynthetic bacterium.
16. The term ______________ refers to a disease causing organism.
Graph the following data and then answer the questions that follow.
Temperature Number of Bacteria Produced per 15
Graph title ________________________________________________________
1. What is the independent variable? ________________________________
2. What is the optimum temperature for this bacterium? _________________
3. How many bacteria will be produced in one hour at 30 degrees C? __________
4. Why does the number of bacteria decline after 35 degrees? __________________
5. What is the average number of bacteria produced per 15 minutes in this experiment?