"Agenda for McLaughlin College Council Meeting"
Agenda for McLaughlin College Council Meeting Wednesday June 6 2007 - 6:05 pm Attendance: President: Anthony Antonacci V.P Internal:Keara Konstantakos V.P Finance: Joel Friedman V.P Social/Cultural: Soraya Vitorino V.P Academic: Josh Paquin V.P Communications: Sarah Sulistijo V.P Commuter:Irfan Kara Speaker: George Blake Secretary: Chelsea LeClere YFS Rep: Steven Broadley Mac Media Rep: Master- Master Green Terry Conlin CRO: Raf Kodsy O. Chair: Candice McCavitt Kids Day Chair: Mara Moltisanti Sport and Rec Cordinator: Nick Ebel Assistant Sport and Rec: Julien Hersh Sport and Rec Secretary: Michael Rosco Sport and Rec Treasurer: Carley Wasechek Dynamics Manager: Sebastian Zetea Dynamics Assistant Manager: Randy Yeboah 1. Call to Order G-6:07 call to order 2. Speaker’s Remarks G- No remarks. NO much to say. Hopefully we can go farly quickly..equect quick and simple reports. 3. Master’s Office Remarks No rep- pass thorugh unless and issue Nacc0 I-0motion to move master office remarks to after next meating in case master green shows up. Till just aroundment g- master office becomes art 10. Oppse this? No ok. Master office moved 4. Passing of the Agenda G- issues? Yfs update is in ectitive reports No motions can be made in ective reports Clify good? No issues Passes 5. Passing of the Minutes Issues with minutes? No issues minutes oasss 6. Executive Reports Sarah- clear and cleaned webpage. Working on frosh pics. We and nacci contacting micheial red zone person. Haven’t heard back. He is coming to do a tour of council office. Nacci agreed for him to come. He will need to see nacci to get the key before hand. Suggestion..noticed two years ago the webage has a profile of council. Do you wan to do it this year. g- for? All for ….6? No against Irfan- nothing to report. Events around Halloween Soraya- super busy. Week is calmin down this week doing more research. Instead of overnight trip ..doing dirty dancing on stage. Males wouldn’t be interested unless dragged along. Wants to do but may not do as trip. Tought also to do eletmentary to do teen ranch. Go away to a cabin and you stay there for a few days to bound. May be to cold and ppl will complain. Will look into it further. Other option is ranch doesn’t work is niagra falls. It was fun but wants to do something different. We live in Toronto. Niagra is the closest Nacci- loving the ranch idea. Highschool we need went to mideva. It is a ranch idea so I can find out infor for that for you. That would probally be good. He will get her the issue Yfs is it religious? Sorya- niagra was the best. Side notes 95% doing a ski trip. Questions? None Keara- nothing to report Joel- nacci and meeting for orientation. Issues this year. Nothing this meeting. Waiting for jeff to get better so we can get contact and finish auit and minor issues with signing authority. Wheels in motion to deal with. Nacci- was in meeting with master office we talked about grand reception . aasked how many council member. Monday night. Thing for all greaduates and high achduiveer. A bar and good a little party. Needs to know who can come and rep council. Josh- where?? Hear and founders dining hall Yfs- when 630 yfs- I am cmong keara- I will tyr nad get out of work josh- the beging and psoiblly the end. Nacci- in addition I also have the june tasks for everyone. Basiclally if we didn’t get to it in may . just so we have a lcear focus of what we are doing. Pass around Sarah- going to be half hour late on Monday I can come. Nacvci- was at contrituency meeting last night.the student center frosh kits are a council issue because the money we paid has been not used for fosh kit . but for a sproncership for york fest. Student center reps clarified kits and its not manadtry. They are hesitant is saying they are optional. They need colleges on board to get sponcers for york fest. We discussed to talk to center of students tand get them to send a report of their edxpectations for each college. I am representing the coollge. Not accuse student center. Different opinions so we will be cautious. We also talked about stagty in frosh. Go safe run longer into the night. I am completely behind it. Auit for safty. He gave support. Dynamaz sit is under control.randy has control to activate cards himself now aso that is dealt with. Sory- was that the sit? Nacci- yes cause the cards expired. Also we had a club problem with interent. So nacci was incharge of making sure they get there up and running. That’s all Candace- clarify the yfs and forsh kit. The person who was respoinible is no longer responsible. The new ppl are open and want to help and give us things. They want to do york fest. They still want sproncership Yfs- can I speak afterwards and get names . new issue and look into that. Josh- so awards. They are slow going until other day. Things have picked up cause he got ahold of. Sales rep has been dealing with emergenis. Farther along on process. The engraving is done and have an enfose for a little over 1000 dollars. Figures are inline with expectations. Still need to pay them for that. Get work finished. No hurry to get the payment. Other good thing is we are not going to lose cutdoy of plaqyes. Do the work here at school. That sofr council s.r and mac media. Other thing is we had a request one of our fellows is pro ubally. He asked us toasssit him in something he is putting together for net year. A research center. Wants undergrad students involved for a credit program. Trying to figure out how they can help and what way to go about this. Meet with him a few times int eh summer iwht council to help plan the program for next year. Which will eventyally become a program opertated thought master office. 3 or 4 meeting over the summe. Let me know who is interested. Sory- what kind of reaseach Josh- poverty studies and anti poverty programs. He wants undergrads posting with NGO in anti poverty measures and have them bring back knowledge and experidene to apply to ereache. Steven- good new for mac. We wen to board retreat. Elected commissioners to ex. Strong rep with yfs. Any issue we are the ppl to talk to. I am a presidential commisiorner. I am instrsuted to start up the pride parade. Its basically tblgay has a summer budget to put something twod th budge. They only had 6 ppl show when ryerson has 30. makes ppl thing we don’t care. This year we will promote this event and stand with gay and lesbians on campus. We are planning thorught out the summer. Talked to Candice about intro speech by me to mac students. Some reps didn’t show up with normalcy. Change that and get yfs’s name out there. I can aways bring it up as concern for this student center. I do not know if you know..if an issue comes up about student center. You as a council can force me to vote. If mac has to vote you can force yfs mac to vote. You can request minutes to say my vote went through Nacci- do you know when yfs meeting will be. Steven- not on the radar yet cause of summer. Nacci0- we like to know Steven- in oct we can educate on voting. Oct 10 elections. More moderence on council. Encounaging students to vote based on issues. We are also advertising farho Ontario. Changing from direct . endorced changes and if any one is interested. Can request a presentation for next council.citizens asselby. Josh- not sure our role would be. Steven- keep us informed Jpsh- proposed change to the way voting happens. Jsoh- referendum same time as elections Steve- not a big uproar Josh- wouldn’t think its appropriate to endore. Steven0 that’s all immeditate concerns. Nacci- we we have meeting on elections. We should be invoved. We are the policial science council. Nacci- college consctruction. Spoke to perter tompson. We are making sure council office and storage space. This will be done by frosh week. I told him aug 23 rd we need them done. He said he promised it would be done by forsh week. That means a lot fo me. So also it will be all finished by sept 1. loook at things for the office and we can talk about it later Candace- constuction duing frosh week? Nacci- yes. They will tell us where and when. Steven- possibly of getting clocks in classrooms. In mac college. Nacci- I can talk to master green tomorrow. Gearge- issues? Sarag- want a passwork for computer. I will set up after meeting. Everything is cleaned out. Tgeorge- thanks 7. Old Business Any odl business – None 8. New Business 8.1 Orientation (5 min.) Candace- tis beging in june. Tplanning withoutside groups. Working with yoda. Thins are up in the air. Event ideas are all over. Cant tell you when they are happening. Waitin for confrimiation. Spoke to winters. We can doing joint event with winters. Contacted vanirer and founders to see if they wanted to do . it didn’t fit in with thing we wanted to do. They haven’t gotten back to me. Not allowed to do foam party this year. O chair committee met tlast week. Next council meetin we will have another meeting. Spoke about the role of council in frosh week. Was a confusion last year. Feel good about it this year. That during frosh week.council will proform council durties but more importantly to interact with frosh and be energetic and rep council. Not an issue of hiarcy or importance. Don’t fit into leaders. Doesn’t make you separate. Preformin tasks for council. Issue of capacity . to encounge council to interact and have fun with frosh week and not worry about anything. Put a good image out to the frosh. You want ppl to be excited about council. We are happy with it. That all for now. Steve- we I need to be involved in forsh. Candace- I will talk to you adter Geoge- questions? None 8.2 YFS Initiative - Pride Parade (5 min.) Yfs- put inchage ofpride paragde. Asking colleges to endore and put a donation forward to plan pride parade. Groups hand out buttons and stuff . t shirts for parade. Question for starh. Mac logo do you have an image. Nacci- I do Steve- if we forward a donation you image would go on eveyrhtin we put up endoring the parade. Buttons tshirts etc. suggest donation of 100 dollars. We have cost like th float.our student can be on the float. Pub night going on throughout the week. Flag raisin on Monday. Pub night with GSA bar. Thus is UFT pub night and FRI pub crawl. Panflet to survice pride. Mac would have th logo on it if we donate. Dyke parade on Saturday. That night is ryerson pub night celebrating ry pride 30 th anaverserty. All york students are inviting to all the events. We need to put a contribution. Final day we are having a breakfast and takin ttc. Pizza pizza donation being looked into. Talk of ryerson hosting a bbq for anyone to come. These thigns cost money. We are asking colleges for help. You are the 2nd presentation ive done. Urge you strongly to contribute. Looks bad if it dones take off Sarah- kdo you have something written about whats going on what you need from us. Steve- no outlets available its on my laptop. Nacci has a leterr I sent to him regarding request. Sarah- when do you need it by Steve- as soon as psoibble. June 24 is events. Needed money yesterday. Keara- how much asking. Steve- 100$ asking every college Keara- kis there a deadline date for money. Can t write cheque. Steve- if we agree or vote on it. He just need a letter saying we have donated it and were good for it. Support. Sarah- do we need aweek Keara- we don’t have a budget yet. We cant make decisions till we ahave the budge. And because we cant make motions. We need two thirds majority to make a motion. We oculd vote but we shouldn’t casue of budge Joel- if its couson to do it…hten it is something we negotied into the budget. I don’t have an issue. As far as formality. It is ligitimate. Any decision. The budget doesn’t need to be formalized till end ofjuly. So if we make the decision it will be a non negotionable item in budget. Steve- it can be put as non negotioable. If we say you cant spend money. Events go out the window. Mac can never contribute. Josh- the objection was not legal just that the best prractise of how we allogate money. Is there an issue. Or is it discretion. Keara- budge line in buget for donations. Its fine cause we know where its coming. Its ok.. we just want to make sure its ok. And it is Geoge- total quarm. Two thirds of members in office. So we have it today. Josh- if this is the problem then this is the hororiaria. Nacci- no problem. Keara- its total members in office so its fine. Soraya- motion to allocate 100$ to yfs TBLGAY partenership form buget. Josh – seconds Vote- 7-0-0 Passes Steve- request. Endorcement.letter of endorcement for mac college. Nacci- motion to endorce TBLGAY pardate va a letter Sory- seconds Passes 7-0-0 Steve- thanks for listening Nacci0 send me the leter and ill sign it. George- any other comments Movie on 8.3 Potential Consitutional Amendments (10 min.) Nacci- don’t want to take to long.different of opion on honorian. This is because of the handbook. They don’t need to know about honorian. Ammendement we make in sept. 1 is have set meeting time that will pend the availability of vp and presidents. Fall election would ahave to be available for set meeting time. There is a prob elclusivness. Its been an issue many years. This is a way to make them available. That’s the most proactical solution. Seconds amendment for sept is to remove internal, fiancé, accedmenic and commutier because the actual roles oare redundant. Taking up by vp very easily. There is qute a bit inportfolios. Any opositoin to this proosed ammendemnet for sept= Sarah- trip. To little council member. Solved by hiring other members. Director commuter should not be takin off. Lots of work Keara- as far as trips. I agree in general to hire assosiate rather than a reason to keep the position. Assosiate are always there. Its more practical to have them do it. Commuter I understand I feel tho its made because of assassians. I think tha for portfolios. The directiors would give more a job to 1st year reps to pick up slack. They can help with assasians and any other vp. The reps can have something to do and more responsible andmore of a portfolio. Help pres…whivh is rare. They have more a purpose. I think that we all rread and understood we cant make a motion right now. Take a straghol to see if we should have set meeting time and get rid of position. This way we know where everyone stands on the issues. Sory- 1st years givng more responsible. I would like to see there honoriam increase. Nacci- that’s the reason we should talk about honorianm next week. Josh- why cant we make a motion Keara- cant do amendments Josh- get ball rolling. We need to have 10 days before next meeting. Sarah- 1st school year is fall George- total members for first reading. Nacci- josh is ccorrect. We can make motion . but we cant make second reading till 10 days. Jeara- not a good idea. Members of commity are here to witness. Wont have any idea that things are going on. No one would know about members of community. Highly reccomemnd till the community is informed about council and things are set. Josh-how long into the year Jeara- 1st week of school is firstreadying. Then the next meeting 2nd readying. Dealt with before end of sept. Nacci0 agrees with that keara says. If ppl agree to staphole. Mainin this position in sept so it doesn’t cause confusion . main ocern. Information put in handbook is accurate. Joel- couple things.the fall election have to get fullin two or third weeks before start of classes. A lots of time for elections. Very tight for doing an amendment. Second point. Members of ommmunity aren’t cut off. Would be on website. And an email can be sent ot about the amendment. It would say the info for fosh and begingin of school stuff. They have enough going on that they wouldn’t make much difference. Soray- silly question. I haven’t looked at plaing schdule. Is there a time you are looking at now. Not yet- nacci Sarah- I think it happened this year how the election was postposed a week late. Can we do this for the fall election. Keara- if this is the case. Motion in summer than that’s fine. It shouldn’t be made today. Noformal amendment to be made. This should be done thorught the constudtion. Do this in the next meeting and the meeting after that. We just need to do a straphol. Nacci- make a maition for staphol for ammenment Sory- directiore aren’t penilized Jkeara- don’t run unless oyu know you can make it Joal- how it pertains to winder semester. Change meeting time in jan because of schedules. How will this work with majors nd courses. If council is for ppl smaller than its not an issue tryin to find a more apporatatee meeting time compared to last year. Personal choces made that make it difficutlt. Sarah- thinking of potention problem coming up. Will be unfair for ppl coming in .t ehere schdule has to be set around up when we don’t even have that. Its gonna lower opertunity for ppl to get involved. Run around circle and pick there own friends. We should notdo ti not so wise. Once you come into council you have to be willing to make the time. You make a commitiment to council. Josh- I undetand the patisitpation. Classes already are barrier to partisipation. All this does is let ppl know if it restict them stpecify. I think its better to give them a choce. In terms of fairness. The ectietive should have priority by virture of the fact that there are psotions of more relevant and crucial . directors are important but not as. Soray- what about new vp fiancé and commtuter. Keara- in regards to joshs commentes and comin in. every one sends class schdule and I make a time that works with school. Josh- is this because of classes? Keara- no this is because of work schedules last year. Nothing to do with classes last year. Ppl put other priorites over council priorites. I don’t think that everyone should have to have a set meetin time. Not fair to force a meeting time cause of calss schedules. I think that we should vote. Nacci- the only thing is that situation is meeting sit. Motion comentces: Vote- 1-5 one abstain Nacci- motin to strap hol and director postion Kaeara- strophol is not holding us to anything 100%. General idea for feeling righ tnow. I undeshand postion with handbook. Would handbook be done yb the next meeting. Nacc- yea june 20. Josh- whatwill handbook say Nacci0 it says there are 15 position. We have this and this and lists postion. Feel free to run for these postions. Josh- can we just say there will be position. Nacci- give asmuch info as possi ble. Josh- letsmake surewe do ti right. Keara- what do you think about it master green. Do you think there is a problem with no saying specic psition Master green- ssee it was students handbook. We need some work on it. I the more info we give the better. We can say we will have psotions such as..and list a few. Sarah- I don’t think this is a huge problem. Weather or not to write downposition. But if you are interested they will find out. They will call and email and try. Let s not make the wrong decisions. Joel- you can list come postions and not be tortally specic. Through in the that the most recest info available at a website. They can go online and get moreinformation .t Sarah- that’s the point of website Nacci- this is important because of last election and no few ppl running for the positions. We need to give ppl information. The more info you give the more ppl will get interested. Joel- I discussed that how the elections were conducted. We can try to avaold as many problems as psoissble. You do wahts availbelto us. Keara- I think there are director and 1st yearpositions avaible. Doesn’t make a difference being that speciic. I think all the dicussion is about the handbook and not about the staphol. George- I agree to move to strophol. Vote-7-1-0 Geaoge- any other issues? none 9. Other Business Soryaya- I cantremebr. Vp winters send a message about doing co events during the year. I will look into that. She has contacted me and well will see what happens Yfs- I am infavor of it. More together york campus 10. Next Meeting Next meeting june 20th at 6:05 Sarah seconds Vote unamious. Master office remarks- Very bysy coming to reception. Geoge, steven, keara josh and sarah. Recognizxing students from 1 2 and 3d years and student graduating from 4 and 3 rd year . 630 wine and chese. 7 founders assembly hall. Big turnout this year. 7-730 allumys in here. Grad ceremony. Do you know the mac cheer?. You will learn it Monday night. Nacci- do it forsh week? Candace- yep Master- working with nacci lots of ideas. Catchin problems. College restrcution. July 1 st wil be resportin to dean of arts. Nothing else will change with structure. Planning process. Council of college communites meet in late aug. two student reps. 25 ppl in the groups. Deans, masters, and students. Ideas to come up with the plan for the collges. Being to support graduates. Once plan is there each college will have a team to meet 2 times a year with 2 students to meet and work together. Will be accountable for putting that together. Many of students are not faculty of arts. We want to serve everyone together. So this masters and meetingiwth dean on 21 of june. Documtn will be giving soon explain . I wll share. Going to venelula next week. June 22- july 23 on holiday. We will ask presitis to chose one rep from complex one and two. Student reps will be chosen by the council. Elcegion amounst yourseves to do that. George- comments. noen 11. Adjournment Story- motin to ajoun Irfan seconds 7-0-0 Total Approximate Time: 60 minutes firstname.lastname@example.org- send minutes as soon as possible.