A two-day conference on communications
planning, measurement and accountability
Chaired by: Nick Higham BBC News
30th – 31st March 2011 Speakers:
Jumeriah Carlton Tower Paulo Alves Nick Turner
London SW1, UK BMW UK Deloitte UK
Ann Perkins Peter Haslett
Heinz UK Ipsos ASI
Alastair Fairgrieve Graeme Hutton
McDonalds Europe Universal McCann
Gary Twelvetree Mike Bloxham
Barclaycard Media Behavior Institute,
James Murphy Center for Media Design at
Future Foundation Ball State University
Les Binet Sol Ghafoor
DDB Matrix AKQA
Benoit Garbe Adam Graham
Millward Brown Optimor Saint
Nick Southgate Rolfe Swinton
IPA Apollo Mobile
Alan Mitchell Dr. Jeffrey Graham
David Pandit David Penn
Richard Helyar Jennie Beck
BBH Kantar Media
Gordon Farquharson Lucy Howard
Camelot UK Lotteries AMV BBDO
Simon Goodall Dan Hill
Saatchi & Saatchi X Sensory Logic Inc.
Welcome to Measuring Advertising A speaker line up of industry leaders will
Measuring Advertising Performance Performance 2011 update you on:
Delivering effective, accountable marketing is • The consumer agenda – how the recession and its
tougher than ever. The rules of engagement with lingering aftermath have shaped the consumer
consumers have changed, the number of channels outlook
have multiplied and marketers must reassess their • Sophisticated ways of thinking about digital
entire approach to brand communications. marketing, and examination of the implications
for measurement and evaluation
In this new environment, Warc’s Measuring • The best brand builders in the world — what
Advertising Performance conference will provide an lessons can we learn from them?
up-to-the-minute briefing on the latest developments • Measuring digital and social media campaigns
and practice in communications planning, • Accountability best practice
evaluation and metrics. • Case studies from Barclaycard, McDonalds, BMW,
Camelot and Heinz
The conference will address key advertising and
performance questions including: how do you make
What have our past delegates said?
your advertising spend work harder for the brand,
“Very interesting, detailed presentations - enjoyed
how do you plan and develop an effective campaign the real examples”
and what are the key techniques that help measure
“Very informative and interesting”
the effectiveness of different channels.
“Engaging, challenging and enlightening”
The agenda focuses on four themes crucial to
marketing measurement. During the first day you
Who will I meet?
will hear new ideas about how advertising works
and planning effective campaigns. The second
Measuring Advertising Performance 2011 offers an
day covers measurement challenges in digital
excellent opportunity to network with other delegates
and social media and marketing analytics and
from the UK, Europe and beyond. Companies
accountability. Both days include presentations from
represented at the 2010 conference included: Walt
leading brands on their approach to marketing ROI.
Disney, Vodafone, Lowe London, Billets and AGB
Nielsen Media Research.
If you are in the brand communications business,
Measuring Advertising Performance is the one
conference you should attend in 2011.
We look forward to seeing you in March.
Sponsored by Supported by
Conference Agenda Day 1: 30th March 2011
9.15 Chairman’s welcome 12.20 It’s the metrics stupid – time to challenge conventional
Nick Higham, Correspondent, BBC News wisdoms?
• Do current assumptions about marketing metrics guarantee that
marketers can never learn and improve their performance?
9.25 The consumer agenda
• What new insights do neuroscience and behavioural economics
• How has the recession and its aftermath reshaped bring to the metrics debate?
the mind of the consumer?
• When we talk about marketing ‘effectiveness’ do we mean ‘effective’
• What are the implications of this for the effectiveness of for the marketer or ‘effective’ for the consumer: whose ‘effectiveness’
marketing communications? are we measuring?
James Murphy, Editorial Director, Future Foundation Alan Mitchell, Author
9.45 Beyond the click New
Research 12.45 Q&A with speakers
• How is new technology offering different ways of
communicating with people?
• How can new ideas from neuropsychology help interpret data?
• What are the most sophisticated ways of thinking about digital
marketing and what are the implications for measurement 14.10 Data, data everywhere – planning by numbers
and evaluation? • How do you blend hard and soft data to understand consumer
Les Binet, European Director, DDB Matrix
• New tools and approaches to measurement and evaluation
10.10 The best brand builders in the world – New David Pandit, Head of Data, BBH &
Richard Helyar, Head of Research, BBH
what lessons can we learn from them?
• Results from a study commissioned by Jim Stengel, formerly
P&G’s CMO 14.45
PANEL: Media meshing – the art of maximising spend in
• Which brands have created the most value in the past decade?
a multimedia world
• What did these brands do to be so successful?
• How do you find the right combination of media channels to
• What is the importance of brand purpose, culture and target today’s media consumer?
• What is the best way to maximise your budget?
Benoit Garbe, Vice President, Millward Brown Optimor
Jennie Beck, Global Director, Kantar Media
Graeme Hutton, Director of Consumer Insights, Universal McCann
10.45 Q&A with speakers
Mike Bloxham, Director, Insight and Research, Center for Media
Design at Ball State University USA & Co-Founder, Media Behavior
11.00 Coffee Institute
11.20 Context – understanding its impact on advertising New
performance 15.25 Coffee
• New research to help us put behavioural economics
15.45 Maintaining momentum from communication through to
• How does context work in advertising?
• How can you measure it?
• How can we better understand the journey a consumer makes from
• What are the future implications for brand strategists? experiencing brand communication and making a purchase?
Nick Southgate, Behavioural Economics Consultant, IPA • What can we learn from this?
• How can you ensure the best return for your investment?
11.45 Case Study: Barclaycard Client
Simon Goodall, Director of Strategy, Saatchi & Saatchi X
• How one of the world’s biggest brands is driving best
practice in marketing effectiveness
16.10 360 degree feedback, 365 days a year – Client
• Sharing learning across global markets the McDonalds story
• Review of the ‘rollercoaster’ campaign and the potency of ‘fame’ • How McDonalds optimises its communications strategy in key
versus product advertising international markets
Gary Twelvetree, Global Brand Director, Barclaycard • The measurement tools McDonalds uses
• How McDonalds and its agencies have applied the learning
Alastair Fairgrieve, VP – Chief Insight Officer, McDonalds Europe
16.45 Q&A and close for the day
Detailed agenda and speaker biographies at www.warc.com/map2011
Conference Agenda Day 2: 31st March 2011
9.00 Registration 12.55 Q&A
9.15 Welcome back – Chairman’s summary of the first day and 13.10 Lunch
overview of day two.
14.10 Camelot – the analytics behind optimising returns for Client
9.30 Measuring digital and social media campaigns New
• Approaching the challenge of evaluating the effectiveness • The analytical challenges faced by the UK’s national lottery
of digital operator
• Learnings from some key product categories • Techniques and methodologies used to support evidence-based
• Key considerations for optimising digital spend decision making
Peter Haslett, Chairman, Ipsos ASI UK Gordon Farquharson, Senior ROI Insight Manager, Camelot UK
PANEL: Grown-up measurement for a grown-up channel 14.45 The secret of emotionally effective advertising
• How effective is digital media compared to traditional platforms?
Dan Hill, President, Sensory Logic Inc.
• What initiatives are on the horizon that will help brands plan
and evaluate their digital activity better?
15.10 Heinz case study: Emotion – the key to creating award Client
Sol Ghafoor, Analytics Manager, AKQA
Adam Graham, Managing Partner, Saint • The consumer insight behind a recent Heinz UK campaign
Rolfe Swinton, Co-Founder, Apollo Mobile • How the effects were measured at category and brand level
• Halo effects for other products in the Heinz portfolio
Ann Perkins, Head of Insight, Heinz UK &
Lucy Howard, Board Planner, AMV BBDO
11.00 Beyond the Holy Grail: analytics in an age of change
15.50 – Q&A
• An approach that ensures we continue to encourage creativity and
innovation, as well as accountability
• Case studies – how the approach works in practice 16.20 Close of conference
Dr. Jeffrey Graham, Worldwide Director of Performance, Initiative
11.30 Social infection – deconstructing the value New
• Which brands have created the most buzz around the world?
• Why have these brands became socially infectious?
• What forces can we harness to create great social ideas that light a
fire under a brand?
David Penn, CEO, Conquest
11.55 BMW’s approach to marketing ROI, brand learning Client
Book now to avoid disappointment
and measurement Book at www.warc.com/map2011
• What are the risks and pitfalls of making decisions on marketing
spend based on the wrong indicators? Call Clare Beveridge on +44 (0) 20 7467 8122
• Setting the marketing budget
• Balancing rational and emotional messaging in the car market
Paulo Alves, General Manager – National Communications and CRM,
12.30 Marketing accountability – Improving marketing Warc is the most comprehensive marketing
effectiveness information service in the world. We are a trusted
• Using marketing measurement and accountability to manage the
value of marketing resource, recognised for the provision of the latest
• Best practices that are being employed by leading organisations in-depth case studies and cutting-edge thinking.
Nick Turner, Marketing Effectiveness Practice Lead, Deloitte UK Find out more at www.warc.com
Detailed agenda and speaker biographies at www.warc.com/map2011
Gary Twelvetree Paulo Alves, General Manager Nick Turner
Global Brand Director – National Communications and CRM Marketing Effectiveness Practice Lead
Benoit Garbe Ann Perkins Alastair Fairgrieve
Vice President Head of Insight VP – Chief Insight Officer
Simon Goodall David Pandit, Head of Data David Penn
Director of Strategy Richard Helyar, Head of Research CEO
James Murphy Jennie Beck Adam Graham
Editorial Director Global Director Managing Partner
Les Binet Graeme Hutton Rolfe Swinton
European Director Director of Consumer Insights Co-Founder
Mike Bloxham, Director,
Insight and Research, Center for
Gordon Farquharson Media Design, Ball State University Peter Haslett
Senior ROI Insight Manager and Co-Founder, Media Behavior Institute Chairman
Nick Southgate Sol Ghafoor Lucy Howard
Behavioural Economics Consultant Analytics Manager Board Planner
Alan Mitchell Dr. Jeffrey Graham Dan Hill
Author Worldwide Director of Performance President
Detailed agenda and speaker biographies at wwww.warc.com/map2011
Book now at www.warc.com/map2011
Measuring Advertising Performance – For more information and to book
Measuring £1,095 + VAT your place:
Warc.com subscribers can attend for O: www.warc.com/map2011
the special price of £950 + VAT
T: +44 (0) 20 7467 8122
Your ticket includes post-event
access to the full speaker presentations
and also gives you the exclusive P: Complete this form and send to:
opportunity to network with speakers Clare Beveridge, Warc,
and other delegates through a 85 Newman Street, London,
30th – 31st March 2011
LinkedIn group. Book your place W1T 3EX
Jumeriah Carlton Tower and connect with these inspirational
London SW1, UK business leaders.
DELEGATE DETAILS PAYMENT
Don’t miss out on: Name
I enclose a cheque for
(made payable to Warc)
• Two information Job title
By direct transfer
Warc bank details:
packed days Company Barclays Bank Plc, 10 Hart Street,
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, RG9 2AX
• Networking with Address Account No: 60479810
Sort Code: 20-39-53
leading marketers Account Name: Warc
Swift Code: BARCGB22
• A wealth of
Please debit my credit card
• Real examples of American Express
best practice that (EU only, excludes UK)
work Signed Start date (Maestro Only)
Full terms and conditions, delegate Expiry date Issue No
information and substitutions/ Cardholder’s name
cancellations policy can be found at