KUT Spring Membership Drive
March 1 - 9
Online Volunteer Training
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to help KUT
during our on-air membership drive. Please let us know if there is anything
we can do to improve your experience.
Using your Pledge Phone
• Once you’ve gone over the volunteer training, it’s time to sign in to your
– Instructions for what code to dial to sign in to your headset will be on
– Put on the headphones, and adjust the microphone so that it is near
– Press the big On/Off button on the phone – this is what you use to
pick up a call, and hang as well.
– Follow the instructions on your phone to sign in, and press On/Off to
– Now your phone is activated and ready to receive calls!
– Make sure that any time you get up from your station, that you follow
the instructions on your phone to sign out. This way your phone
won’t ring while you are away from your station.
Starting a Pledge
1. This signs you in to
the system! Type in
your First and Last
Name. Then click
“Initiate a pledge”.
Finding and Entering the Caller’s Info
1. Enter the caller’s first and last
name (in that order) and click
2. This finds people in our
database with that name. A list
will pop up. If you see someone
on the list with the same name,
ask the caller if that is their
address. If so, click SELECT. If no,
close the pop-up window and
enter their information in.
3. Note: Do your best to avoid
adding someone who is already
there! Make sure addresses match,
keep an eye out for shortened
names like Bill/William and
4. You can use the CLEAR SECTION
button to erase and start over. If
the person you selected is correct,
but their address or other info
needs to be updated, type the new
info over the old info.
Donation Levels & Business Memberships
1. Click the button next to the amount
they want to pledge. If the amount isn’t
listed, click the button next to “Other” and
enter the amount. Don’t include the $ sign
or decimals: e.g. 40 (NOT $40.00).
2. If the caller pledges $500 or more, it
may be a Business Circle pledge, so ask
them if it is.
3. Business Members get:
o 2 on-air announcements per day
during the drive.
o A one-year listing in the Business
area of the KUT website and one
thank you gift.
o The business must pay by credit
card (either in full or installments) to
have their name read on air for the
duration of the drive.
4. Use the drop down menu to choose the
Taking a Payment
1. Ask the caller if they
would rather pay with a
credit card, or be billed.
Select the option they
2. If they are paying with a
credit card, you will be
asked for the number
AFTER you hit continue
at the end.
3. If the caller is paying month-to-month, ask if they want us to automatically renew
their membership for them. This eliminates renewal notices because they’ll always
be current members. They can cancel anytime by contacting KUT. Click Yes if they
want to do this. Note: These members are called Sustaining Members.
Thank You Gifts
1. If the caller is pledging an amount that qualifies
them for a thank-you gift, ask them if they
would like one!
2. Use the drop down menu to select a gift. Click
on the requested gift and it will be added to the
3. You can add multiple gifts, as long as the gift
amount does not exceed the pledge amount.
For example, if you pledge $140 you can get the
mug ($60 level) and the t-shirt ($80 level).
4. To remove a gift added by mistake, click on the
5. If the item the caller is looking for is not listed,
enter the item into the box below the drop-
All pledges are tax deductible. The fair market value of a
requested gift will be subtracted from the pledge to get
the tax deductible amount.
1. Ask if the person works for a company that
matches pledges. KUT will get in touch with the
person regarding their matching gift.
2. Ask if we can read their name on air. If the
caller says yes, type in the pronunciation of
their name if it is difficult here. If the caller
hangs up before you ask, click NO.
2. Ask if the caller has any comments they
would like the on-air hosts to announce. There
is no guarantee that the comment will be read Pledge is in honor of her dog, Rowdy
3. Next ask if the caller has any comments for
the membership staff - these are comments
that require an action on KUT’s part: “Remove
John Smith from record”, “Duplicate mailings
being sent”, etc
Make sure to review the information before clicking continue. Once you click
“Continue” (the button will read “Submit” if you chose cash/check), you cannot
change any information.
Adding their Credit Card Info
1. If you chose the
this window will pop
up after you hit
2. Enter the credit card
number and the
3. Then click the “Pay”
Important Credit Card Information!
• It is possible that while you are on a phone call, a person’s credit card might
not be accepted.
– If this happens:
• The Credit Card window will display one of two error messages (see
next 2 slides for images of these):
• Tell the person there was an error with their card and apologize. If the
Card Entry screen is still available, try the card again. If it is not
available, or the card is declined again, apologize to the caller and say:
– “I’m sorry, there was a problem with the card. We’ll send you a bill
in the mail that you can mail back with your card info, or a check.
• Then go ahead and print the pledge as normal.
Declined Card – Wrong Number
1. This is one of the
possible error message
you will see if there is a
problem with the card
Declined Card – Expiration Date
1. This is the other
possible error screen
you will see if there is a
problem with the card.
2. Check the box to
change the mode of
payment to cash.
3. Make sure to
apologize to the caller,
and let them know that
we’ll send them a bill in
the mail they can return
with a check or card
4. We cannot store or
write down credit card
numbers due to PCI
Successful credit card entry!
Finishing a Pledge
1. A window will pop
up. Click PRINT.
DO NOT hit Cancel.
This is very
We use these
printed sheets to
keep track of
2. Click “Next
Telephone Etiquette & Pledge Captains
• This is the only personal interaction the majority of our listeners will have with the
station, so please be courteous and understanding.
• While most callers are very nice, occasionally someone may be unhappy with the
station or have questions for the staff. Please write down all questions and
comments on the notepad at your statement, and give to your Pledge Captain.
Make sure there is contact information on it, and the caller’s name.
• Who are the Pledge Captains, you ask? Two KUT staff members will be in charge of
your shift. You’ll meet them when you arrive, and they can answer any questions
you may have.
IT’S NEVER WRONG TO ASK FOR HELP!
Where is KUT?
KUT is located in the Communications B Building
(CMB) at the corner of Dean Keeton (26th) and
Guadalupe. The physical address is 2504 Whitis
Walk up the stairs to the KUT Lobby, one floor up
from street level. The pledge area is in the back of KUT
the room. We’ll have signs posted to help guide you
Alternative transportation options (parking options
on next slide):
• There is ample bicycle parking on both sides of
• Several city and UT Shuttle buses drop off near
the building. Route info found at
• Carpooling is great way to get to know your
fellow volunteers better!
Where to Park?
Validated volunteer parking for the
Pledge Drive will be for the San
Antonio Garage, located at 2420 San
Antonio Street across Guadalupe from
the KUT building.
There is also self-pay parking at the KUT
27th Street Garage on 27th &
Speedway (also called University), but Parking
we cannot validate for this garage.
Arrive 5 minutes before your scheduled shift so you can:
•Sign in and make a name tag
•Grab a snack
•Find an empty phone station
•Read the instruction sheets taped to the table
•Go over this orientation one more time at your station
•Ask a member of the staff any questions that need clarification
•Activate your phone and start taking pledges!
Questions? Schedule Change?
If you have questions or need to cancel your shift, email
email@example.com or call Kim at (512) 471-3018
Thank you for volunteering
your time to KUT Radio!