1. Brief History 9. Premium
2. Salient features 10. Sum Insured
3. What is travel Insurance 11. Plans
4. Need for travel 12. Scope of Cover
insurance 13. General Exclusions
5. Eligibility 14. General Conditions
6. Age limit 15. Corporate Frequent
7. Some Definitions Travelers
8. Period of Insurance 16. Employment & Study
• The travel insurance industry is more than
100 years old
• First introduced in the US to protect travelers
against accidents and theft.
• April 01, 1864,the Travelers' Insurance
Company introduced the travel insurance
policy to those traveling overseas.
• Brain child of C. J. Batterson owner of the
Travelers Insurance Co. Ltd.
• Originally introduced in India in 1984 to
– payment of medical expenses for illness /
accident sustained by Indian residents
– during their overseas trips
• whether official or on holiday
• Undergone many changes and is today
available as a package with a wide range of
covers / plans
• Sold under different names by different
What is travel insurance?
• Travel insurance is a cover for the risks
one might face in your trip, overseas or
• Typically, it covers death, personal
accident, medical expenses,
repatriation, loss/ delay of checked
baggage, passport loss and third party
Need for travel insurance?
• Travel usually for two reasons- pleasure or business.
– One would not want anything to ruin one’s hard earned
holiday or a crucial business meeting.
• Possibility of some unexpected occurrence no matter
how perfect the planning is.
– Unfortunate events such as baggage loss, passport loss, a
medical emergency or an accident can affect you.
• Having Travel Insurance protects travellers from all
such perils. It ensures that in the unknown foreign
land one is not left stranded in any kind of an
Overseas on Working
behalf of in India
Rupees of MNC’s
Up to 70 years
> 70 yrs – > 6 months Diseases specific
premium 5 years to children –
• Insured Person -
– The person named in the Schedule of the Policy for whom the
appropriate premium has been paid
• Overseas Agent –
– Agency with whom the insurers have a tie up to deal with all
claims arising when the Insured Person is overseas.
• Centralized Toll free Number –
– Some private insurers have this facility,
– to be contacted in case of a claim;
– insured persons / relatives will be advised of further