Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

Rent Paid Affidavit _RPA_


  • pg 1
									March 2006
                                 VLN Volunteer Tip of the Month!
                        CRP, Renter’s Credit or Renter’s Rebate Questions

   It is the time of year for tenants to ask questions about their Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP), also called the
   Renter’s Credit or Renter’s Refund. Some basic information:

            This is a state property tax refund available to renters who make less than $47,350 (Federal
             Adjusted Income), were a Minnesota resident during the previous year, and are not someone else’s
             dependent on their 2005 taxes.
            The landlord is required to give tenants a CRP by January 31st.
            For a tenant to get this refund, the landlord must complete and return to the tenant a CRP. The
             CRP must be included with the completed Minnesota Property Tax Refund Return, Form M-1PR.
            The tenant needs to file the CRP by June 15. The refund will be mailed by August 15.
            If the landlord has not given the tenant their CRP, or has filled it out improperly and refuses to
             correct it, the tenant can get a Rent Paid Affidavit (RPA) and use it in place of the CRP to get their
             refund. Please make sure that tenants have already made every effort to get their CRP before they
             get a RPA.
   How to get a RPA : Tenants should call the tax help line with the following information:
            Landlord’s name, address and phone number (required information)
            Address of rental unit
            County the property is located in
            Tenant’s Social Security number
            Tenant’s name and present address
            Tenant’s spouse’s name and Social Security number
            Tenant’s daytime phone number
            Number of renters in the unit
            Whether rent is subsidized (Section 8, HUD, etc.)?
            Amount of rent paid per month
            Dates rented
Note: The department will contact the landlord. Please help the client call the tax help line or write down the
phone number and the list of information they will need when calling.

   Tax Help line: (651) 296-3781                              Tax help line hours of operation are
   TTY: Call 711 for Minnesota Relay                          Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
                                                              Friday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

             If clients have specific tax questions, please send them to the Legal Access Point Clinic:
        Hennepin County Government Center, Second Floor, at the Self Help Center (300 South Sixth Street).

                       Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays, 9:00 am – 3:00 p.m.;
                                    Thursdays 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

  For more information please contact Darielle Dannen at Volunteer Lawyers Network (612) 752-6649.

To top