Improve Your Health By Walking Your Dog
Do you know that taking Fluffy for a A total of 150 minutes of
walk can improve your health? moderate aerobic activity
Research has shown that walking your dog can (i.e. brisk walking) per week
help you improve your health. is recommended by the
A 2001 study in Australia found that people Centers for Disease Control
who walked their dogs for at least an hour a
week were most likely to get the recommended
level of health-improving physical activity.
Improve your health by walking your dog Walking 10 Minutes At A Time Is Fine:
Even a 10-minute brisk walk ,
3 times a day, 5 days a week
can improve your health
Top Reasons To Take Regular Walks With Your Dog:
Reasons For You: Reasons For Your Dog:
• Helps you get the recommended level of • Improves your dog’s cardiovascular
physical activity (150 minutes a week). health.
• Improves your cardiovascular health. • Prevents obesity in your dog and helps
overweight dogs lose weight.
• Helps you relax and feel better.
• Helps your dog relax & bark less.
• Gives you an opportunity to meet new
people. • Improves your dog’s overall behavior.
• Helps your neighbors recognize your dog if • Helps your dog find its way home if it
it ever gets lost. ever gets lost.
• Allows you to bond with your dog.
TIPS AND RESOURCES
Walking tips for you:
• Wear comfortable shoes
Dog Parks In Los Angeles:
333 S Barrington Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
• Stretch before and after to Barrington Dog Park
Griffith Park Dog Park Located at north end of the John Ferraro
• Be visible to make sure Soccer Field on North Zoo Drive Los
drivers see you Angeles, CA 90027
Hermon Canyon in the
• Look both ways when you Arroyo Seco Dog Park
5566 Via Marisol, Los Angeles, CA 90042
cross the street 8260 Mulholland Drive, Studio City, CA
Laurel Canyon Dog Park
• Wear a hat and use 90046
sunscreen Runyon Canyon Dog Park 2000 North Fuller, Los Angeles, CA 90046
• Drink plenty of water Sepulveda Basin Off- 17550 Victory Boulevard, Encino, CA
• Make your walks a routine Lease Dog Park 91406
1850 W Silver Lake Drive, Los Angeles,
Silverlake Dog Park
Westminister Dog Park 1234 Pacific Avenue, Venice, CA 90291
Whitnall Off-Leash Dog 5801 1/2 Whitnall Hwy., North Hollywood,
Park CA 91601
Walking tips for your
dog: Try either long
Prevent A Dog Attack
• Supervise your dog walks or short
• Avoid other dogs. Cross the street
around young children frequent walks.
if you see a dog you do not want to
• Use a leash at all times encounter.
• Bring poop bags to pick
• Make some noise. Yell "No!" or
up after your dog
"Go Home!" in a deep loud voice.
• Make sure your dog
Aim to get 150
drinks plenty of water minutes of
• Don’t walk your dog in
extreme weather week !
• Carry an object. Consider
• Watch for unusual signs carrying a stick or other object that
of fatigue or trouble you can use to scare away a
breathing threatening dog. Robles 09/2009