Docstoc

Minutes - CAUL _Council of Australian University Librarians_.doc

Document Sample
Minutes - CAUL _Council of Australian University Librarians_.doc Powered By Docstoc
					                                 CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1
                                   17 February, 2004 from 9am
                                 RMIT Library Conference Room
                                               Minutes
                                           (updated 5/3/04)


1137. Attendance & Apologies. Madeleine McPherson (President), Andrew Wells, Derek
      Whitehead, Cathrine Harboe-Ree. In attendance: Diane Costello. Apology: Eve
      Woodberry (Deputy President)
1138. Minutes of the previous Executive Meeting - 2003/7 November, 2003, Canberra.
      The draft minutes have been circulated. The minutes were accepted.
1139. Business arising from previous meetings not otherwise listed on the agenda.
      a)    Valuation of Library Collections. CAUL recommended that this topic, and the
            draft statement by Professor Carnegie, be added to the agenda for the Peak Bodies
            Forum. It was clear that the concerns of the universities were not reflected by the
            state libraries who appreciated being able to manage the valuation for their own
            purposes. Derek Whitehead will revise the statement for presentation to CAUL.
            (Action: DW) It was suggested that this topic could be of interest to the
            Australian Financial Review.
      b) Scholarly Communication. Cathrine Harboe-Ree will follow up with Alex Byrne
         regarding a CAUL statement on scholarly communication. The OECD has issued
         a statement, following a meeting chaired by Peter McGauran, Minister for Science.
         (Action: CHR)
      c)    External services in university libraries. Andrew Wells has questioned why the
            commercial service is still being offered at UNSW – it mostly consists of
            copyright-cleared document delivery. Monash has reviewed and renamed its
            service to Community Relations Unit, because the business base has reduced
            significantly.
      d) Reference Services. Derek Whitehead has offered to make available Swinburne‟s
         typology of reference services. (Action: DW)
      e)    Access to Government Information. Madeleine McPherson has drafted a letter
            from the chair of ARIIC pertaining to this issue.
            Access to the Internet by those beyond the metropolitan areas has been slow ,
            partly because universities were prevented from offering broadband services
            locally because of the government‟s competition agenda.
            Madeleine McPherson will discuss the future of NOIE with Senator Lundy. NOIE
            was tasked to work on e-commerce, identity, trust, etc but it appears that their
            work will be moved into DCITA. Members discussed whether to wait to gauge


CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                            1
            Labor‟s policy direction before raising CAUL‟s priorities or to make
            recommendations ahead of their determination of policy. It was noted that Mark
            Latham is strongly supportive of libraries. His book Civilising Global Capital : New
            Thinking For Australian Labor St Leonards, N.S.W. : Allen & Unwin, 1998 JQ4098.L3L38 1998
            refers to the skills required for the new economy.
            It was agree that the Executive develop an agenda for the forthcoming federal
            election. What should NOIE be working on? Which organisations should CAUL
            align to and what are they doing eg the EFA on civil liberties issues, IIA (Peter
            Coroneos), AIMIA (Lynne Spender). Derek Whitehead will draft a list of issues.
            (Action: DW)
            The AVCC document on access to the internet in universities is a result of
            problems in the music industry, and should be limited to this, however some
            universities are shutting down access completely. It was noted that universities are
            not the targets of the current action; Kazaa is the primary target, infringers the
            secondary targets. IT directors see this as a security issue. Most universities are
            developing policies but the libraries may not be involved until later in the
            development stages. Librarians should promote the access agenda. It was
            suggested that this be discussed at CCA, and possibly added to the agenda for the
            Sydney meeting. (Action: DC)
            It was suggested that the AVCC develop a code of conduct agreement with MIPI
            (Michael Speck, CEO). USQ has set a precedent of working outside the AVCC
            with respect to CAL.
      f)    Peak Bodies Forum. Andrew Wells will discuss with Jan Fullerton whether a
            forum could be held in conjunction with ALIA in September. (Action: AW)
STRATEGIC PLAN
1140. Review of Progress of Strategic Plan (Standing Item).
       Investigate a project to explore effective service delivery through linking learning
       management and information management systems. COLIS was initially intended
       to develop a test bed, not a product. Some institutions are linking these systems
       together. Swinburne has jointly bought a CMS with a common metadata approach. It
       was suggested that members be encouraged to demonstrate their systems at
       EDUCAUSE.
       It was suggested that EdNA web site on metadata and CMS be widened to a survey of
       COLIS-type access in universities. Swinburne is a corresponding member and steering
       committee member of the Real World Metadata project, run out of Tasmania. It is not
       clear whether this a research project or information gathering and synthesising.
       Madeleine McPherson proposed that metadata relevant to CCA would be a suitable
       subject for a workshop at EDUCAUSE. It was suggested that a survey of current
       practice in universities be undertaken rather than developing a project at this stage. It
       was agreed to propose to CAUL that someone be contracted to do it, and present the
       results at EDUCAUSE.
       Andrew Wells will draft a paper for CAUL, and if approved, take it to the CCA
       meeting in June, proposing a major workshop at EDUCAUSE. The paper will take
       into account the JISC approach in articulating the issue. The approach to metadata
       needs to be very practical, able to be implemented, with learning objects covered, and
       web-based metadata not driving the approach. ACODE and CAUDIT should be


CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                                  2
       involved from the beginning, and it should not be unduly library-focussed. (Action:
       AW)
       AICTEC is restructuring standards committee, and will be setting up sub-committees,
       one of which may be metadata. Madeleine McPherson will advise DEST of the
       planned approach. (Action: MM)
       Research into User Behaviour. Members asked whether the library schools have
       appropriate personnel who can conduct research? Monash is conducting research into
       post-graduate information-seeking behaviours. Cathrine Harboe-Ree will discuss with
       Graeme Johanson at SIMS. (Action: CHR) David Groenewegen has been tracking
       international research in this area. A Monash forum on the impact of electronic
       information resources on teaching & learning could be of interest to CAUL. Are other
       CAUL members conducting investigations in their own institutions. UNSW still has a
       small school and is seconding researchers. Andrew Wells will discuss with Connie
       Wilson the potential for doing some research. (Action: AW)
       Define a technical and topic framework for sharing management and planning
       information such as reports, instruments, RFIs, plans, position descriptions, and
       posting short summaries and URLs to a common web site, determine resourcing
       requirements and propose a course of action to CAUL eg on buildings, workforce,
       strategic plans, software specifications, etc (Action: DC) When staffing is available
       in the CAUL office, this will be addressed. In order to survey CAUL annually asking
       for these documents, it was suggesting issuing forms at each CAUL meeting asking
       whether they have recently developed any such documents. If the forms is ticked then
       the office will follow up. A site map of the web site will also be compiled. (Action:
       DC)
       Statistics. Three new measures will be tested in 2004. The data collection will start
       earlier. CAUL is still being approached by Bibliostat, but the product is still too
       expensive for an annual payment, and is still not available as open access product.
       Information literacy statistics will be subject to the advice of the ILWG.
1141. CAUL Achievement Award 2003. It was decided that Peter Green will be invited to
      attend the April meeting and make a presentation. (Action: DC) It was noted that
      there is a very good article in InCite.
CONTRIBUTION TO RESEARCH
1142. ARIIC. Madeleine McPherson reported on the last meeting held in December. The
      next is on March 11 in Brisbane. There were presentations on the four projects. It was
      noted that the ARIIC agenda is one-removed from libraries. A meeting on
      collaborative storage will be held on March 15 between UNSW, University of Sydney,
      Swinburne and CAVAL. The key question will be the type of resources which must be
      retained. It was suggested that the JISC tender on service models in e-prints could be a
      useful background document for the ARIIC projects.
1143. AARLIN. A meeting of members was scheduled for late November. Andrew Wells
      and Derek Whitehead attended the meeting, with all associate members. Geoff Payne
      has resolved the issues related to project management. Susan Liepa has now replaced
      Geoff Payne, but the latter will remain as a resource for AARLIN. The licence does
      cover undergraduate use but the technology doesn‟t have the capacity. There will be a
      pilot in some institution to include undergraduates. AARLIN should be up and
      running by mid-2004. The hardware would have to be expanded. AARLIN should
      have a business plan for ongoing operations by the end of 2004. There is potential for


CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                         3
       outsourcing. CAUL should develop a process for bringing what has been learnt back
       into dialogue, and provide some input into the way forward. There isn‟t yet any
       understanding of the costs likely to be incurred after 2004, or how the program will be
       organised. Most will need to budget in August. CAUL continues to have an interest in
       a post-2004 option. There are other options available in the market eg Encompass.
       Cathrine Harboe-Ree will discuss with Earle Gow. (Action: CHR)
1144. CEIRC (CAUL Electronic Information Resources Committee). Eve Woodberry
      wrote: “Due to changes of membership of the CEIRC Committee it is necessary for
      the Executive to nominate a Deputy Chair as outlined in the Terms of Reference. The
      three CAUL members of CEIRC are : Heather Gordon, Gulcin Cribb and I….” The
      Executive confirmed Gulcin Cribb as Deputy Chair of CEIRC for 2004. (Action:
      DC)
CONTRIBUTION TO TEACHING & LEARNING
1145. Information Skills Survey. An email has been received from Cristobal Pasadas
      Ureña of the University of Granada, and a member of the European Network for
      Information Literacy (ENIL), requesting permission to use, adapt and test the CAUL
      ISS in a pilot project to develop an IL assessment tool in the HE sector across the
      European Union. Dr Pasadas will be advised that CAUL is happy for them to use the
      survey, but advised that it hasn‟t been tested outside the research process. CAUL will
      be interested in the ongoing feedback. (Action: DC)
       Diane Costello will discuss the management of the ISS intellectual property with Ruth
       Quinn. It had been agreed to manage the signed agreements and the sale of the
       publications within the CAUL office, but it does not have the resources to support the
       use of the document or any ongoing negotiations with Dr Catts. If the ILWG is unable
       to manage this, then the option remains to offer the management to ANZIIL. (Action:
       DC)
MANAGEMENT FOR BEST PRACTICE
1146. Information as a Strategic Resource. This is the topic of a forthcoming JISC
      Consultation Workshop. Derek Whitehead suggested that it would be a good topic for
      the next CCA meeting, and it was suggested that Andrew Treloar make a presentation.
      Members could consider frameworks that all three groups fit into. It could be possible
      to spend 1-2 hours on the subject. (Action: DC)
1147. NISO MetaSearch and URI initiatives. Andrew Wells suggested that we ask for
      reports from CAUL‟s IT/19 representatives. He also suggested that there may
      opportunities for others to represent CAUL. These standards both have implications
      for university library services. It is not clear how representatives are appointed or
      nominated. (Action: DC, MM)
1148. Library Patron Privacy. The publication of ARL‟s SPEC report on patron privacy
      prompted this discussion. Andrew Wells reported that ASIO is not subject to
      Australian privacy laws and may request and be given library circulation reports. If
      ASIO is covered by an Act of Parliament, then this access is legitimate. It is not clear
      whether this is a recent regulation change. Andrew Wells has raised this with Jennefer
      Nicholson, ALIA. It was suggested that CAUL draft a statement along the following
      lines – the library system has the ability to retain your library circulation records but
      please be aware that these may be searched – do you wish to retain them? He will
      review the ALIA statement on privacy. Derek Whitehead presented a paper on privacy
      to an NSCF round table. It was noted that it is difficult to remove all circulation


CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                         4
       records because current data is needed. It was questioned whether university privacy
       policies address this issue already. The universities have already determined that email
       is no longer considered absolutely private, in instances where law enforcement
       agencies require access to these records. Andrew Wells will present some of the issues
       raised as a CAUL hot topic. (Action: AW)
COMMUNICATION & ADVOCACY
1149. Copyright.
      a)    AUSFTA. Derek Whitehead reported on the conference on intellectual property
            organised by Griffith-ANU held on February 13. Both the Attorney-General and a
            retired judge addressed the IP consequences of the FTA. It entails adopting all the
            provisions of the US copyright regime. Four issues were important to the US –
            greater criminalisation of infringement of copyright, and of the use of anti-
            circumvention devices, liability of ISPs and extension of copyright term. US
            provisions of the DMCA have been subject to massive abuse, with numerous
            requirements to take down material – one ISP has had 17,000 takedown notices.
            Parliament will establish inquiries to consider the FTA, then the government, not
            parliament, chooses or not to sign it. It‟s not clear whether Australia will be
            committed to extending the copyright term again should the US extend it again. It
            is important to encourage the ADA/ALCC to move on this quickly. CAUL should
            argue to adopt a US definition of fair use, to mitigate the effects of the other
            changes, and to recommend separating material created for commercial use.
            Madeleine McPherson will raise with Senator Lundy in March. (Action: MM)
1150. Communication. (Standing item)
      a)    CAUL Communication Strategy & Guidelines.
      b) President’s Report. Madeleine McPherson attended the first meeting of the
         EDUCAUSE conference committee in Auckland in January. Her costs are being
         met by the conference organisers.
            In November, she and Eve Woodberry attended a meeting at DFAT to discuss our
            concerns about possible negative effects of a Free Trade Agreement with the US, if
            Australia were to agree to conform with US copyright legislation. DFAT also
            invited ALIA, the NLA, the AVCC and ADA to attend but only the latter two were
            able to do so. The meeting was arranged with Geoff Binns, Executive Officer,
            Intellectual Property Section and attended by one of our FTA negotiators and staff
            from the Attorney-General‟s Department and lasted nearly two hours. A report has
            been circulated to CAUL.
            Also in November, the President attended the funeral of Warren Horton as
            CAUL‟s representative.
            Librarians taking on big business, Health Report, Radio National, 16 February
            2004. …. interviewed a PhD student from UNSW, Michael Eisen and a publisher
            from the American Medical Journal, and commented on open access publishing
            and „leaving our card catalogues‟ to take on big business. Madeleine McPherson
            has written in response, drawing attention to more recent developments in libraries.
      c)    Communication with CAUL.
      d) Public Relations/Media Reports. Andrew Wells will contact the Australian
         Financial Review regarding possible topics for coverage. (Action: AW)


CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                         5
      e)    Executive Officer’s Report. The report is appended. Diane Costello discussed
            the National Data Network proposed by Jonathan Palmer at ABS. The issue of
            public liability for CAUL is being investigated, as the absence of insurance cover
            has made it difficult for CAUL to hire facilities within major convention centres.
            (Action: DC)
1151. Relationships with other organisations.
      a)    JULAC. John Shipp is taking the lead in the organisation of a study tour to Hong
            Kong and China. It is likely to happen in October 2004. The approximate length
            is 10 days, taking in Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai and Xian. 2004 October 12-16
            Shanghai SILF2004: The 2nd Shanghai International Library Forum.
            http://www.libnet.sh.cn/silf2004/ Cathrine Harboe-Ree, Madeleine McPherson,
            Andrew Wells and Derek Whitehead plan to attend. (Action: DC)
      b) CAUDIT & ACODE.
           i)     EDUCAUSE 2005. Madeleine McPherson attended the first meeting of the
                  conference committee in January.
           ii)    Joint Executive Committee. June 7 and December 6 have been confirmed
                  for meetings in 2004, in Brisbane and Melbourne respectively. Suggestions
                  for the next meeting agenda include “information as a strategic resource” – as
                  per item 1146 above; copyright – ACODE and CAUDIT have different
                  perspectives; a proposal for a metadata project – as per item …. above; access
                  to the Internet in universities – most universities will have done some work
                  on the AVCC document, which should have involved consultation between
                  the three areas. (Action: DC)
      c)    CONZUL. Andrew Wells will attend the CONZUL meeting in March while
            visiting for the ADT presentation. There were 7 participants and 2 mentors from
            New Zealand at the Aurora Leadership Institute.
1152. CAUL Meetings. At the CAUL meeting in September, it was suggested that
      attendance at CAUL seminars be extended to other staff. It was agreed that the
      Executive would consider logistics and additional accommodation requirements.
       Given that venues and dates are planned so far in advance, it is difficult to hold a slot
       open with bookings for different size venues in case a suitable topic is found. The
       Executive considered whether CAUL meetings were primarily for networking among
       members, or could play a staff development role. They also considered whether
       CAUL should be facilitating events for staff, and if so, whether this should be on a cost
       recovery basis.
       On the basis of the difficult logistics, and the networking aspects of the meetings, it
       was decided to keep CAUL meetings separate from staff seminars. It was decided that
       if the quality seminar seems appropriate, it could be repeated at a later date.
      a)    CAUL Meeting 2004/1, Sydney (UNSW), 1-2 April 2004 with satellite
            meetings on March 31 @ Tyree Room at Scientia
           i)     Venues – Andrew Wells will draw up a list of hotels in the Sydney CBD
                  (Action: AW)
           ii)    Catering – Andrew Wells will organise the catering, and is prepared to
                  sponsor it to some extent. (Action: AW)



CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                           6
           iii)   Dinners - Andrew Wells will investigate the Bayswater Brasserie and Ebio in
                  Surry Hills (Action: AW)
           iv)    Schedule.
           It was agreed to invite the Director General of the National Library to attend the
           meeting as both a participant and presenter. (Action: MM) Suggested topics
           include the business model for the redevelopment of Kinetica – reduced use as a
           bibliographic utility, higher education context, a resource from which to extract
           other information, end user access, unmediated borrowing, cost recovery vs
           national resource, canvas some alternative models eg OCLC; relationship of the
           National Library with the universities. It was agreed to ask Jan Fullerton to provide
           a discussion paper prior to the meeting. It was noted that John Arfield and Linda
           Luther represent CAUL on the Kinetica Advisory Committee, and agreed to ask
           them to prepare a position paper (with Andrew Wells) for members to consider.
           (Action: AW)
           A program outline was suggested:
           Day 1 – April 1, 2004
           9-11          Presentations by leaders of DEST-funded ARIIC projects, possibly
           James Dalziel, Geoff Payne on ARROW, Andrew Wells on ADT, Vic Elliott on
           APSR. (Action: AW) Access to theses was raised at the last meeting of the
           ALCTF, including the future of the ADT software ie what is needed to update it;
           workflows for cataloguing theses in print and online; the relationship to
           institutional repositories. These will be covered as part of the ADT upgrade
           presentation. (Action: AW)
           10-10.30      Address by Professor Hume – an assessment of the role of ARIIC, etc
           11-1         Continuation of ARIIC projects, plus ARLCAP / collection overlap.
           Discussion at the last meeting of the ALCTF focused particularly on document
           supply, which had shown decline in some areas, although there was agreement that
           the full implications of the increased availability of electronic journals were not yet
           clear. While in some respects, the information provided by the overlap study was
           seen as offering valuable evidence of diversity, the research was not sufficient to
           influence acquisitions policies and practices.
           2-3.30      National Library – 90 minute session, with clear briefing regarding the
           purpose of discussing these issues together.
           Janine Schmidt re OCLC benefits – provides service in some of the same areas.
           Encourage some debate in a strategic session.
           Kinetica futures and redevelopment – a thorough airing of risks and benefits;
           vision of Kinetica service context eg direct public access, models, Linda Luther and
           John Arfield on the CAUL perspective.
           Music Australia. Finish the day with a positive manifestation of the National
           Library.
           4-5 and to continue the next morning after the business meeting.
           Hot Topics. Madeleine McPherson will ask for further suggestions from CAUL
           members. (Action: MM)
           Copyright. Derek Whitehead will discuss the FTA. (Action: DW)


CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                           7
           Patron Privacy. Andrew Wells will discuss. (Action: AW)
           NILT. Are there any opportunities for libraries to tap into the $84m funds for the
           improvement of teaching & learning.
           User studies – who has done intensive work with users on service issues – possibly
           a survey of who has done what in their own institutions. This was discussed at the
           last meeting of the ALCTF. Some libraries are already doing their own studies viz
           UQ, UWS. Janine Schmidt and Liz Curach could be invited to lead the hot topic
           discussion. The National Library is interested in the usage of electronic
           information and is prepared to coordinate a wider study if desired by CAUL.
           (Action: DC)
           Metadata. It was decided to wait until the importance of metadata was more
           clearly enunciated, potentially after it is outlined for CCA.
           Open Access – IFLA manifesto - Alex Byrne and Cathrine Harboe-Ree will
           propose a statement that CAUL could consider adopting (Action: CHR)
           Possible hot topic – Unison trial of unmediated borrowing using Innovative‟s
           system model, to expand ULA system.
           Day 2 April 2
           9-1
           Business Meeting
           Hot Topics, continued.
           2-5
           Seminar – Quality
      b) CAUL Meeting 2004/2, Hobart, September 13-14, with satellite meetings on
         September 12. Proposed items for the agenda include:
           i)     Teaching & Learning Forum. Andrew Wells will discuss with UNSW
                  colleagues the role of libraries in teaching & learning. Possible speakers
                  include: Christine Goodacre of the University of Tasmania; Craig McInnes of
                  the University of Melbourne; Alan Smith of USQ. At USQ, a distinction is
                  made between on- and off-campus students for enrolment, teaching, services,
                  etc but it is moving towards a hybrid model of a single core service with add-
                  on services appropriate to the mode of teaching. This session should pick up
                  any themes in CAUL‟s strategic plan. (Action: AW)
           ii)    Research & teaching nexus.
           iii)   CAUL Budget for 2005. Budget planning should include prioritising of
                  projects and programs for 2005.
           iv)    Planning using futures scenarios & techniques. Derek Whitehead will
                  consider how such a session might work – perhaps a theory session to be
                  followed by a workshop, using the teaching & learning topic.
      c)    CAUL Meeting 2005/1. It is suggested that the meeting be held in Auckland, to
            coincide with EDUCAUSE 2005 which will be held in May. If CAUL does not
            support this proposal, it will be proposed that the March meeting be held in
            Adelaide and the September meeting in Brisbane.



CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                          8
      d) CAUL Meeting 2005/2. Adelaide is proposed, possibly in October because of the
         later timing for the Auckland meeting.
1153. Forthcoming Executive Meetings. The following are tentative dates.
      a)    2004 March 31 – Sydney, prior to CAUL 2004/1
      b) 2004 June 6-7 – Brisbane, joint CCA Executive preceded by CAUL Executive
         meeting on Sunday afternoon. (Andrew Wells will be in Amsterdam)
      c)    2004 early August – Sydney
      d) 2004 September 12 – Hobart, prior to CAUL 2004/2
      e)    2004 late October – Sydney
      f)    2004 December 6 – Melbourne?, joint CCA Executive.
CAUL ADMINISTRATION
1154. CAUL Finances.
      a)    Audit of 2001 Accounts. Completed 3/10/03. The report must be signed by two
            members of the Executive Committee. It was signed by the President and will be
            forwarded to the Deputy President for the second signature. (Action: DC)
      b) Audit of 2002 Accounts. This audit is in process, and should be finished in the
         next couple of weeks.
      c)    CAUL Budget 2003. Cash in hand at the end of 2003 was $755,820, following
            receipt of the bulk of CAUL subscriptions for 2004.
      d) CAUL Budget 2004. It was suggested that CAUL membership fees be tracked
         against library budget movements, as part of the review of office staffing and
         support. (Action: DC) Members will be invited to consider expenditure for 2005
         now, rather than waiting until the budget discussions in September. (Action:
         MM)
1155. Other business.
      a)    ARLAC. Cathrine Harboe-Ree suggested that Jill Wilson‟s report on ARLAC be
            circulated to CAUL members for information.

The meeting concluded at 4pm.




CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                       9
                  Activity Report to the CAUL Executive, 16/11/03 – 14/2/04

Finance.
November and December priority tasks involved invoicing – CAUL membership
subscriptions for 2004, and a significant amount of CEIRC annual datasets subscriptions –
870 invoices, including those for datasets to the value of AUD 600,000 plus USD 5,600,000.
Most vendors were paid in January. The quarterly BAS was completed. The audit of the
2002 accounts is almost complete.

Information Skills Instrument.
Three orders have been received to date. Procedures have been developed to supply both the
print copy, and the survey forms, and to receive both the monies and the user agreement.

CAUL [Annual] Report.
An outline of the 2003 report has been prepared. Three requests have been received from
universities for copies of the 2002 report – they have been advised that copies were sent to
the University Librarian late last year.

Office Staffing.
Jane James, who started in August, moved to another position in late November after finding
the office too quiet physically – it is an issue that I usually highlight as part of the position
description. Margaret Richardson, who has worked for CAUL for 3 ½ years, moved to
another position at ANU in early December, but continued to work additional hours in the
office until Christmas. Brigid Whitbread, who was employed in the office for a little over 12
months before the birth of her third child, has been working 2 days per week since early
December. She is happy to continue until the vacancy is filled.
After Christmas, I called for interest in a secondment from the local universities, but received
no interest. The position is now with Library Locums whom I use to locate staff. I expect to
interview candidates within the next week. I will be assisted by Margaret Henty, ANU
Library.

ALA and VALA.
I visited San Diego for 3 days in January (departed January 8 and returned January 13) and
Melbourne for 5 days in February for meetings and trade shows. I did not register for VALA
as it is usually difficult to attend papers because of the associated meetings.

Scheduled meetings at VALA were held with representatives of Kluwer (Kevin Steiner),
Springer (David Elek), American Chemical Society (Andrew Pitts and Dean Smith, Assistant
Director of Sales), Xrefer, Reuters Datamonitor, Euromonitor, Mergent Pacific, ProQuest
(Martin Marlow, Director of Strategic Marketing), CSA-Thorpe-Bowker, Blackwell
Publishing, while additional discussions were held with BIOSIS (Robert Kimberley), OUP,
BMJ Publishing, BioMed Central, CSIRO Publishing, Standards Australia and Swets.

I attended the meeting of Datasets Coordinators, the CEIRC meeting which was held over
two half-days, an informal meeting of ADT participants, the CAUL Statistics Focus Group
and the ARLCAP presentation.

The main purpose of the ALA visit was to attend the meeting of the Blackwell Publishing
Library Advisory Board, and was fully funded by Blackwell. Scheduled meetings were also
held with the American Psychological Association (Neil Lader, our account manager, David


CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                         10
Bird and Peter Gaviorno, Senior Director, Sales and Marketing Leases and Licenses),
SerialsSolutions and CSA (Mark Hyer, Vice President of Sales),. Additional discussions
were held with RLG, ACM, W.S. Hein, ParaText, ARL/SPARC, OUP, TDNet, Reuters and
Project Muse. I attended a forum on new pricing models for Project Muse and a forum on
open access.

Meeting Arrangements:
Organisation of accommodation, travel, agenda, minutes etc has been done for the following:
November 24-25, CEIRC meeting and eBooks.com Focus Group,
February 2-6, CAUL Statistics Focus Group, informal meeting of ADT participants, CEIRC
meetings, Datasets Coordinators meeting
February 17, CAUL Executive
February 20, ProQuest strategic meeting to which the CEIRC committee has been invited.

Complications again arose when attempting to organise a meeting at a major conference
venue – both the Sydney and Melbourne convention centres require each booking
organisation to hold its own public indemnity insurance, and meeting rooms cannot be
booked without it. In the case of Melbourne, there is not even an add-on option to their own
public liability insurance available. I have started making inquiries about general insurance
for CAUL, to include public liability and professional indemnity.

Meetings / Events:
November 29, Funeral of Warren Horton
December 1, 16, January 27, AVCC Library Staff Development Conference – program
committee teleconferences
December 3, Regional Cultural Alliance launch @ Parliament House
December 8, 17, January 6, Walter Turnbull – auditors
January 6, Linda Weinstein, University of Massachusetts, Boston, re internationalisation
survey
January 16, University of Canberra library staff lunch, informal meeting

National Data Network.
February 14, Jonathan Palmer, ABS, visited to discuss plans for a National Data Network –
protocols and open source infrastructure to support access to national data sources eg ABS,
AIHW, FACS, GeoSciences Australia, etc Professor Fiona Stanley is a key driver behind this
endeavour. He was interested in information about bodies & personnel who could contribute.
I raised, inter alia, NRIT & Mike Sargent, ARIIC, EdNA, DEST, ARC, Lawrence Cram …
Jonathan is also a member of a new government Information Management Steering
Committee and its CIO group. He was a key player in the AVCC CURFs and AusStats
agreements.

CEIRC-related meetings:
December 4, Jeroen Prinsen, ISI
December 8, Tim Worrall, Mergent Pacific
December 9, Peter Bennett, Dialog
December 18, Gayle Villaume & Andrew Bennetto, DA Information Services
January 9-10, ALA, as above
February 3-5, VALA, as above

The university was closed down between December 25 and January 4 inclusive.


CAUL Executive Meeting 2004/1 – 17 February 2004 – Melbourne – Minutes                      11

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:11
posted:3/24/2011
language:English
pages:11
censhunay censhunay http://
About