Organic Products HOUT BAAI FARM
Erf 365 McGregor
Certified ® P.O. BOX 181
Vat No. 4700206529
Tel : 023 625 1867
Fax : 086 612 6715
1st October 2008
TO : Ms CELESTE HOUSEMAN : OFFICE MANAGER : NSPCA and interested parties.
NSPCA / WORCESTER SPCA DISPUTE ( IN THE HANDS OF THE PUBLIC PROTECTOR)
Dear Ms Houseman,
You asked me to record certain events. Herewith the facts and allegations of some
substance, which can be sworn if necessary as an affidavit.
1. 29th August 2008 (Friday) ALLEGED EXTREMELY CRUEL KILLING OF CAT BY
THREE WORCESTER SPCA EMPLOYEES—NEVILLE JANSEN, NAOMI BUTLAND,
• Cat caught by neck in loop—pulled onto floor from cage.
• One person stood on head / forequarters.
• Second person stood on hindquarters.
• Third person—Neville Jansen (Driver) - injected cat.
• Witnessed by Inspector Chris Theron who was approaching the building which had
locked steel mesh door between him and the above parties.
Note: Chris Theron was prohibited direct access to staff.
Note: Driver Neville Jansen is not qualified to use Schedule 6 lethal drug.
2. 30th August 2008 (Saturday a.m.)
Chris Theron—telephone conversation with myself—reported the above. I was
completely horrified but not surprised because I have reason to believe mishandling of
animals is entrenched at Worcester SPCA.
(An added factor—Kennel Manager—Rina Jordon comes from an abbatoir
background—another inappropriate Blom appointment.)
Note: Engela Blom is currently employed at Rainbow Chickens
3. 31st August 2008 (Sunday 9.30 p.m.)
From when I was informed on Saturday, I became more and more outraged by this
obscene cruelty perpetrated by people entrusted with animal care. At 9.30 p.m. I
decided to telephone Allan Perrins, CEO of Cape of Good Hope SPCA to motivate
punitive and prompt action, all my accumulated frustration, disgust and fury was
unleashed and must have accelerated his resolve to take action on Monday.
4. 1st September 2008 (Monday a.m.)
Allan Perrins informed me that he had earlier reported the above incident to NSPCA, I
understand, to you personally. He requested me to telephone you, which you will
recall, I did. In fact we had two telephone conversations that morning, I remember :-
(a) You denied that NSPCA CEO, Marcelle Meredith already had knowledge of the above
event — (in fact Meredith did have knowledge).
(b) You said the matter was TO BE HANDLED BY THE SPCA CONCERNED, AS IT IS AN
(c) You asked me to make a written statement to NSPCA regarding this matter.
(It was evident that non SPCA action would take place at this stage.)
5. A few days later, I telephoned you again (which conversation is recorded on tape)
during which I admonished you, in your NSPCA capacity, for inaction and
unsatisfactory response to the GROSS MISCONDUCT AT WORCESTER SPCA - to
which you replied that an investigation was in progress.
Either there was a cruel act committed or there was not—in fact, by your admission—
there was a cruel act, so why were the parties not dismissed immediately as is the
consequence required by law???
SPCA OPERATIONS MANUAL
SECTION 2/6 Page 10 H - CRUELY OR SUSPECTED CRUELTY - MANDATORY
IN THIS CASE WHY HAVE THE 3 ACCUSED WORCESTER SPCA EMPLOYEES ONLY
BEEN GIVEN A WARNING???
1st September 2008 ( 8 a.m. ±) Monday
Inspector Theron was immediately suspended by Engela Blom—as he walked into
Worcester SPCA Building. Case : Sub Judice
6. The above, in my (and many others’) opinion, is a classic example of the double
standards of NSPCA CEO Marcelle Meredith who selectively punishes or condones
misconduct in various SPCAs, quite contrary to the avowed claim that all SPCAs are
7. I attach an e-mail from Senior Inspector, Chris Theron sent on 4th September 2008 to
Marcelle Meredith, NSPCA CEO, in which serious allegations are made regarding
unacceptable conduct at Worcester SPCA, which Society is managed and controlled,
repeat, controlled by Engela Blom who insists that all staff report to her personally
on all matters. This complete control notwithstanding Senior Inspector Chris
Theron’s appointment as CEO on 1st April 2008; not long after his appointment,
Engela Blom instructed Theron to remove himself from all staff supervision and to
work via Kennel Manager, Rina Jordon (ex abattoir employee).
8. I WISH TO RECORD THAT SENIOR INSPECTOR CHRIS THERON HAS FOR SOME TIME
BEEN IN CLOSE TOUCH WITH BOTH MYSELF AND THE PUBLIC PROTECTOR IN ORDER TO
ACCOMPLISH OUR MISSION TO EXPOSE MALPRACTICE AND BAD GOVERNANCE AT
NSPCA AND SOME SPCAs. MANY REPORTS AND AFFIDAVITS HAVE BEEN OBTAINED. AS
A MATTER OF FACT, HIS PRESENCE AT WORCESTER SPCA SERVED THE PURPOSE OF IN
HOUSE INVESTIGATION WHICH WOULD HAVE, IN DUE COURSE, BEEN TERMINATED BY
HIM AFTER THE ACCUMULATION OF SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ENABLE THE
PERMANENT REMOVAL OF THYS AND ENGELA BLOM FROM THE SPCA MOVEMENT.
(WORCESTER SPCA IS, IN FACT, AN ABATTOIR)
9. It is evident that the attached report (not an act of cruelty) gave rise to the forensic five
day audit by two SPCA Inspectors—dated 15th September to 19th September 2008.
(Driven, I suspect, by personal animosity arising from some derogatory statements made
by the Bloms relating to Marcelle Meredith personally and revealing her salary. PLEASE
NOTE WELL - IN THE PAST, REPORTS OF CRUELTY AND MISCONDUCT AT WORCESTER
SPCA BROUGHT NO RESPONSE!)
10. TO UPDATE THE LIST OF MALPRACTICE AT WORCESTER SPCA :-
• (a) The S A Veterinary Council has confirmed that driver Neville Jansen is not
qualified to euthanase animals and has no A.W.A. status.
Note: He is authorized by Engela Blom to travel to surrounding towns to pick up and kill
animals, for which “service” Worcester SPCA is paid and derives a steady income!
• (b) Engela Blom, a qualified nurse, should explain how she obtains such large
quantities of the euthanase drug?
Why no records are kept and which vet is responsible for monitoring the use of it?
• (c) Why has Engela Blom allowed “Inspector” Mahomet America to function for
years when she is aware that he is not a qualified Inspector?
• (d) Why is Worcester SPCA “in good standing” when their audited balance sheet
2008 is unsatisfactory and R218,775-57 is in question and not accounted for???
11. I am seriously perturbed by the strong possibility that Marcelle Meredith will destroy /
hide or ignore the evidence discovered by Inspectors Andries Venter and Morgane James
who, I understand, found it necessary to spend 5 days at Worcester SPCA, engaged in
what can only be called a forensic audit and, further more, confiscate documents,
computer info, video material and capture noose, Note. Worcester SPCA documents
were kept by Thys and Engela Blom in their personal computer at their home.(illegal) In
addition, allegations that the above item/s were lodged for safekeeping at the S A Police
Station in Worcester.
12. UPCOMING AGM
This information is being sent to SPCAs and interested parties to encourage vigorous
debate at the AGM. In the past, Marcelle Meredith has managed to sidestep issues she
wishes to avoid, I hope this time there will be an insistence on truth and accountability.
In reasonable society, a person in Meredith’s position, so unpopular, ineffectual,
inefficient and detrimental to an organization, would take the honourable step and resign.
MARCELLE MEREDITH HAS:-
1. Failed to promote the image of the SPCA
(LAST YEAR’S SURVEY WAS A WAKE UP CALL)
2. Caused unacceptable turnover in staff resulting in poor delivery of services,
alienation of skilled, dedicated employees.
3. Failed to address mismanagement, misconduct and cruelty at some SPCAs.
4. Selectively bullied and dominated some SPCAs while paying lip service to their
5. Wasted the donor public’s money on unnecessary vehicles, frequent
extravagant travel and deployment of staff, who waste time and resources due
to badly planned, haphazard management.
6. Used threats and intimidation to control on every level.
7. Advocated the concealment of vital statistics the public has a right to examine.
8. General unacceptable governance and personal conduct.
NOTE: These revelations have been supported by a survey conducted by Dr Fischer
some years ago and further endorsed by the 2007 Market Research report tabled at
2007 NSPCA AGM.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
MARCELLE MEREDITH’s “PACKAGE”
1. Earns R43,000-00 per month (this revealed by Thys Blom who expressed
extreme dissatisfaction with her control of SPCA).
2. Upmarket vehicle and unlimited use thereof.
3. Overseas / local travel and accommodation.
4. Other normal fringe benefits.
Delegates at the AGM must ask themselves if the SPCA is receiving value in
return??? An organization cannot function without integrity and sound
leadership, this does not exist at present. Further, what qualifications can
THE DONOR PUBLIC, SPCA EMPLOYEES,
VOLUNTEERS AND, NOT LEAST,
THE ANIMALS, DESERVE BETTER.
The Public Protector is presently involved and his findings will be forthcoming at his discretion.
P.J.L. WERDMULLER VON ELGG
• Letter to Marcelle Meredith from Chris Theron
• PriceWaterhouseCooper’s preamble to Worcester SPCA 2008 Balance Sheet
• Letter from Marcelle Meredith
• S.A. Veterinary Council Directive