Docstoc

28th September 2010 - Minutes noncon 28-09-10.docx

Document Sample
28th September 2010 - Minutes noncon 28-09-10.docx Powered By Docstoc
					                       DRAFT MINUTES OF THE CORPORATION MEETING held on
                             TUESDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER 2010 at 5.00 pm


                                               MINUTES



PRESENT:        Philip Jenkinson (Chair)
                Canon Peter Mullins (Vice Chair)
                Prof Glenn Burgess
                Simon Dwyer
                Andrew Dyson
                Ray Ellis (Acting Principal)
                Martyn Gardiner
                Denise Inkson
                Rick Keightley
                Julie Knudsen
                Andrew Milner
                Julie Moore
                Steve Mumby
                Kori Raj
                Jan Richardson-Wilde
                Teresa Thomas
                Penny Would

In Attendance
                Peter Barnard (Acting Clerk)
                Alan Bird
                Adrian Clarke
                Bonita Hodge
                Alison Procter
                Graham Towse
                Jane Bracewell – SFA (for Item 48/10)
                Bob Flockton – SFA (for Item 48/10)
                Peter Harrison – SFA (for Item 48/10)

The Chair welcomed Professor Glenn Burgess, Pro-Vice Chancellor, Learning & Teaching, University of
Hull, who had been nominated to replace Professor George Talbot, recommended by the Search
Committee, and approved for appointment by the Corporation.

The Chair also welcomed Graham Towse, who commences as the Institute’s new Vice Principal of
Curriculum and Quality on Monday 4th October.

                                                   1
46/10 APOLOGIES

Apologies were received from Mike Dillon, Wynne Griffiths and Stephen Hocknell.

47/10 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

There were none (the Chair reminded Governors that they should declare an interest, if appropriate,
prior to the start of any agenda item).

48/10 PRESENTATION BY JANE BRACEWELL, PETER HARRISON AND BOB FLOCKTON FROM THE
      SKILLS FUNDING AGENCY ON FUTURE SCENARIOS: FACING UP TO THE CHALLENGES

Jane Bracewell, Bob Flockton and Peter Harrison were in attendance for this item and gave their
presentation on “Future Scenarios: Facing Up to the Challenges”.

Action: Presentation slides to be distributed to The Corporation and Leadership Group.

49/10 MINUTES OF 6TH JULY 2010

The Corporation AGREED the division of the draft minutes into Confidential and Non-Confidential in
respect of the draft minutes of the meeting held on 6th July 2010 then APPROVED the minutes of 6th
July 2010 and AUTHORISED the Chair to sign such minutes.

Action: BH to email the Yorkshire Coast College (YCC) organisation chart to The Corporation.

PJB explained that current members of the North Yorkshire Pension Scheme would be transferred to
the East Riding Pension Scheme. AB had taken advice separate from KPMG to safeguard against a large
payment. Clarity is needed on the financial implications at present and work on this was ongoing. The
Annual Report would be available in December.

The Chair commented that Governor and Leadership Group Away Day had been postponed until the
new Principal Sue Middlehurst (SM) was in post.

AM highlighted that Governor information needed updating on the Institute’s website.

Action: Acting Principal / Hugh Callaway (HC) to update Governor details on GIFHE website.

Matters Arising

None.

50/10 APPOINTMENT OF CHAIR AND VICE CHAIR OF THE CORPORATION – APPENDIX A

The Corporation AGREED on the suggested action. AD added that RM may have said to consider the re-
nomination of PJ. The Chair and Vice Chair welcomed any alternative appointment options. The Chair
said that SM wanted little change initially and was anxious about continuity.

                                                  2
51/10 INDEPENDENCE OF THE CLERK TO THE CORPORATION – APPENDIX B

The Chair explained this had been discussed earlier in the year. AD suggested deferring until an
outcome was decided on the Clerk. MG asked when the last annual appraisal had occurred. The Chair
confirmed he had never taken part in an appraisal during his time as Chair. TT suggested adding to the
next agenda. The Corporation AGREED to defer until the next meeting.

PW asked if other staff members are appraised on time. PJB explained the Institute appraisal model
allowed line managers to determine the right time, perhaps towards the end of an academic year. JRW
asked if the Chair appraised the Principal. The Chair and Acting Principal confirmed they had met but
had not used a typical appraisal form. JRW highlighted issues could arise through Ofsted. MG stated
that appraisals needed completing by the next Corporation Meeting and felt very disappointed this
was not already in place. MG wanted reassurance as an individual that appraisal of the Clerk had taken
place. PM stated he had reviewed the job description recently and it is not overdue until April 2011.

Action: RE appraisal to be formally documented / completed.

52/10 APPOINTMENT OF GOVERNORS – APPENDIX C

The Chair proposed amending the timing of when a Governor can commence participation in meetings.
This should be with immediate effect pending a formal recommendation by The Corporation. The Vice
Chair felt this period would allow any problems to be highlighted early.

The Corporation APPROVED the process.

53/10 MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTS FOR MAY (PERIOD 10) AND JUNE (PERIOD 11) 2010 – APPENDIX D

See Confidential Minutes.

54/10 PAPER ON RISK MANAGEMENT ANNUAL REPORT – APPENDIX E

AD reported this paper had been discussed in detail at the Audit Committee on 20th September 2010.

AB explained that the Audit Committee consisted of four permanent members of Institute staff and
AD. Individual Risk Registers are regularly presented by Deans and members of the Leadership Group.
The High Level Risk Register is also normally reviewed but had been updated only to cover the YCC
merger in 2010. The general update of the High Level Risk Register will be done when the impact of the
Public Spending Review is known. The Internal Auditor Review of Risk Management gave Substantial
Assurance with 2 “merits attention”. The Corporation RECEIVED and NOTED the paper.

55/10 REVIEW OF ANNUAL OPERATING PLAN 2010/11 – APPENDIX F

RE explained the plan was now spilt for GIFHE and YCC and provided headline targets, funding streams,
performance indicators and success rates. MG questioned which year the document referred to as this
was unclear. RE confirmed 2010/11 and added targets were based on budgets.

                                                   3
RE took the opportunity to give an early update on learner recruitment and funding and tabled a
detailed paper. The Institute had maintained a good recruitment position in Further Education (FE) for
16-18 against a demographic downturn. YCC 16-18 recruitment was about on par with last year – and
below target, and may reflect the difficulty of rebuilding a reputation. BH confirmed that the numbers
were likely to increase given that YCC normally recruit throughout the year. Adult recruitment and
funding at YCC is very good. The position for the Institute reflected the normal profile throughout the
year and the target funding would be achieved.

PW asked how GIFHE compared with similar institutions. BH explained there are difficulties in making
comparisons; we consider how many 16 year olds are available and our market share. The YCC market
share had been maintained and despite the development of Academies RE confirmed the same for the
Institute. Higher Education recruitment and funding looked very positive and the Institute was on
course to achieve its target.

SD wanted to see a more ambitious budget and diversification into the international market. AC
indicated that changes in the Coalition Government meant this was a tougher market in relation to
visas. Discussion was held over the priority to fill the Halls of Residence initially and using private
landlords. SD felt it would be useful to see target trends.

Action: MD to provide a presentation on the business strategy for the international market at the next
meeting.

56/10 FRANCHISE REPORT – APPENDIX G

The Corporation NOTED the updated Franchise Report.

RE identified three partners: EDAS, Skegness and TCR Mablethorpe for 2010-11. However, currently
there is some debate over TCR due to quality issues. PM raised the matter of future sub-contracting
identified by the SFA presentation. There was then a discussion about the way subcontracting would
work and the regulatory framework. JRW added future requirements would include monitoring but
there were stipulations about the amount of retained income. RE explained that the Institute would
consider the business case for such partnerships set against the likely risks.

57/10 REPORT ON STUDENT RETENTION – APPENDIX H

The Corporation NOTED the report on Student Retention.

AC explained he covered the report in the absence of Gill Alton (GA) and this would be presented by
Graham Towse (GT) in future meetings. 16-18 success rates had improved and 19+ success rates had
shown some reduction, a complete reversal on previous years. AC explained the background to this.
YCC had more claims outstanding and was expected to show further improvement. At this stage, rates
were predicted, not actual. The final position would be presented in December. JRW felt a combined
report would be useful.

Action: GT to produce a combined report for GIFHE and YCC, at the next Corporation update.

                                                     4
58/10 ANNUAL REPORT ON COMPROMISE AGREEMENTS AND TRIBUNALS – APPENDIX I

The Corporation NOTED the annual report on Compromise Agreement and Tribunals after its
discussion at the Finance & General Purposes Committee Meeting on 13th September 2010.

PJB explained this will now be reviewed annually at Finance & General Purposes Committee Meeting.
The total cost included notice and holiday pay of 136 individuals, which we have to pay. PJB stated this
year reflected an unusual scale with some large payments.

TT commented on the payments. PJB explained that ex gratia payments totalled £100k out of the total,
with the remainder being normal redundancy and holiday pay etc.

59/10 ANNUAL REPORT ON DISCIPLINARY AND GRIEVANCE HEARINGS – APPENDIX J

The Corporation NOTED the annual report on Disciplinary and Grievance Hearings after its discussion
at the Finance & General Purposes Committee Meeting on 13th September 2010.

The Chair commented on a large increase in absences and Management of Performance and Sickness
Absence Hearings (MPSA) compared with the previous year. PJB explained the paper included a variety
of sickness cases over 17 areas. MG asked if one person could appear three times. PJB confirmed
possible. PM suggested the Equal Opportunities Committee to consider trends. PJB agreed.

The Corporation AGREED for the Equal Opportunities Committee to review the trends.

60/10 POLICY ON COMPLAINTS HANDLING – APPENDIX K

The Corporation APPROVED the use of the Policy on Complaints Handling and AGREED the document
should be subject to auditing processes.

61/10 COLLEGE CODE OF CONDUCT FOR CORPORATION MEMBERS – APPENDIX L

The Corporation APPROVED the use of the College Code of Conduct for Corporation Members. The
Chair stated the updated document needed to reflect present names, e.g. Learning Skills Council (LSC)
now Skills Funding Agency (SFA). PM added marked changes would be useful.

62/10 SPORTS CENTRE PROJECT PROPOSAL – APPENDIX M

See Confidential Minutes.

63/10 LOAN WITH SANTANDER FOR UNIVERSITY BUILDING – APPENDIX N

See Confidential Minutes.




                                                   5
64/10 MINUTES OF CORPORATION COMMITTEES

The Corporation NOTED the minutes of the Corporation Committees. There were no questions.

65/10 ANY OTHER BUSINESS

The Chair thanked all colleagues who had written papers and notes for The Corporation and
commented on the high quality and how precise they were.

The Chair informed the Corporation that this was the Registrar’s last Corporation meeting and thanked
him for his 11 year’s service.




                                                  6
ACTION POINTS

Minute     Required Action                                                By
No:
48/10      Presentation slides to be distributed to The Corporation and   RE
           Leadership Group.
49/10      Email the Yorkshire Coast College (YCC) organisation chart     BH
           to The Corporation
49/10      Update Governor details on GIFHE website.                      RE/HC
51/10      Acting Principal appraisal to be formally documented/          PJ/RE
           completed.
55/10      Presentation on the business strategy for the international    MD
           market
57/10      Produce a combined student report for GIFHE and YCC.           GT



The meeting finished at 7.30 pm

Next Meeting: Tuesday 21st December 2010 at 5.00 pm in 1A01




                                                  7

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:5
posted:3/22/2011
language:English
pages:7