• Meaning of Workers Participation in
• Features of Workers Participation in
• Objectives of Workers Participation in
• Factors influencing in Workers Participation in
• Workers participation in management in India
It is viewed as industrial democracy
based on the principles of equity,
equality and voluntarism.
FEATURES OF WPM
• Participation means mental and emotional
involvement rather than physical presence.
• Workers participate in a group rather than
• It can be formal or informal.
• It is different from collective bargaining. collective
bargaining is based on negotiation whereas Workers
participation is based on mutual understanding.
OBJECTIVES OF WPM
• It helps in increasing the productivity by improving cooperation
between employers and employees.
• To develop leaders from within the industries.
• To achieve industrial peace, better relations and increased
cooperation in the industry.
• To give the employees a better understanding of their role in the
working of the industry and the process of production.
• To provide a sense of belongingness and pride to the workers.
WORKERS PARTICIPATION IN
• Increased commitment
• Growth of workers
• Acceptance of change
• Better industrial relations
• Job satisfaction
• Better understanding
• Satisfy social and egoistic needs
• Increased the self confidence
• Group decision making
• Labour management cooperation
• Suggestions systems
• Employees representatives on board of
A sort of group
discussion is held
between the workers
and a consensus is
evolved on various
In the group
power is delegated to
Under this the
management and the
workers sit together and
discuss the issues
involved and find
Workers submit their
suggestions in writing
to the management
which are opened in
ON BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Under this the employee
representative is made
the member of board of
WORKERS PARTICIPATION IN
MANAGEMENT IN INDIA
Workers participation in management in India
got encouragement only after independence.
1920 Mahatma Gandhi suggested the workers
participation on the ground that they
contribute labour and brains.
FORMS OF PARTICIPATION
• Works committees
• Joint management council
• Shop council
• joint council
• Workers directors
Work committees were
expected to discuss matters
of common interest and to
maintain cordial relations
between workers and
The role of joint
management councils is
The shop councils has
been assigned with the
task of improving the
efficiency in the unit.
There was to be a joint
council for every unit
employing 500 or more
It recommended the
representatives on the
board of management.
MEASURES FOR THE
SUCCESS OF WPM IN INDIA
• The employers should adopt a broad, progressive and democratic
• There must be strong trade union with enlightened leadership.
• Employers and workers should agree on the objectives of the industry
and their mutual rights and obligations.
• Workers and their representatives should be provided education and
training in the process of participative management.
• Participation should be a continuous process.
• Labour management relations should be cordial or at least there should
not be any tension in their relations.