How much money will you need_

Document Sample
How much money will you need_ Powered By Docstoc

How much money will you need?
Before you accept your offer to study at Oxford Brookes, make sure you will have enough money for the whole of your course. It can be very distressing for students if they have to leave their course because of difficulties with money.
➜ British currency
You can bring as much money as you like into the UK, but you will have to tell customs. You may also need to check how much your country will let you take out. See ‘Carrying money’ page 35. British currency is made up of pounds and pence and is known as sterling. 100 pence make one pound. Pounds are represented by the sign ‘£’ and pence by the sign ‘p’. There are 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins and £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes. In the UK, it is very unusual to carry large sums of money in cash. We would advise you either to pay by credit card or to open a bank account and arrange a standing order or direct debit payment for regular bills (see ‘Bank accounts and credit cards’ page 30). pay when you enrol, you will not be able to use the university facilities. These include a library/ID card, your timetable and the university computers.

Find out more
Tuition fee rates tuition_fees_ewni.php Financial support

➜ Living costs
It is difficult to estimate accurately how much it will cost you to live in Britain because this will be affected by your lifestyle and the subjects you study (for some subjects you may need to buy special equipment). The estimated total cost for one month is £860 for one student living in a self-catered, not en suite hall of residence. En suite accommodation with your own shower and toilet, will cost more.

Find out more
Fees and how to pay click on ‘tuition fees’ Fees for Exchange, Study Abroad and International Centre students click on ‘tuition fees’ and go to ‘other courses and programmes’

Find out more accommodation/halls We have given the costs in pounds sterling, but if you convert the amounts into your own currency you will see how much money you will need to study at Oxford Brookes.

➜ Tuition fees
If you are studying for more than one semester or term, you must pay for your first semester/term when you enrol with the university. If you cannot


full academic year, then there will be no council tax to pay on the property. But if you are a parttime student, a postgraduate student writing up a thesis, a student on a short course, or if you share accommodation with people who are not students, there will be a council tax bill for the property. This will have to be paid by those who are not ‘exempt’ students.

Find out more

Table of costs living_costs (The cost for insurance does not include medical insurance. See page 11) University accommodation is usually the cheapest as the cost of electricity and gas are included in your hall fees. Self-catered accommodation is probably cheaper than catered, but only if you can cook and are used to doing your own food shopping. Halls which offer one cooked meal a day are better value than spending a lot of money on ‘convenience’ or ‘fast’ foods. If you live in accommodation in the private market, the cost of electricity, gas, water and telephone is not usually included in the rent. You will be living in private accommodation after your first year, and will have to plan to spend about £1,500 more for each year on these extra costs. Before you can move into a rented house or flat you will also have to pay an administration charge and a damage deposit of one to two months’ rent.

Find out more click on ‘advice’ and ‘housing’ council_tax.pdf

➜ Cost of extending your student visa in the UK
If you need to extend your student visa in the UK, the application charge from 31 March 2009 is £357, to post your application, or £565 to apply at the Home Office. You will also have to travel to the Home Office to give your fingerprints for an ID card. See ‘If you are already studying in the UK’ page 7.

➜ IMPORTANT: The Oxford Brookes estimate of living costs is higher than the amount you or your sponsor have to show that you have already saved, to get your visa (see ‘What do I need to apply for student entry clearance?’ page 6). This is because UKBA have used an average amount for all areas outside London. ➜ Council tax
This is a local tax that is paid to Oxford City Council for services like street lighting and rubbish collection. If you live in an Oxford Brookes hall of residence you will not have to pay council tax. If you rent accommodation in the private market you will be asked to pay council tax. But if you are a full-time student on a course lasting at least one academic year you can get an ‘exemption certificate’ from Oxford Brookes and give it to Oxford City Council. This will mean that you do not have to pay the tax. If everyone in your house is a full-time student on a course lasting at least one

➜ Support for students who have a disability
For more about what you will have to pay for see page 13.

➜ Money when you first arrive
If you do not have a bank account in the UK before you arrive, you should bring enough money to cover your expenses in the first few weeks. As well as having to pay for your tuition and accommodation fees, you will have other costs. These may include: travel to Oxford > Oxford is about 80 kilometres from London (Heathrow) airport and further from Gatwick, Luton and Stansted airports, the sea ports and central London

> train (about £23) or coach (£13) from London to Oxford > coach (£20-25) from the airports to Oxford > taxi to halls of residence from Oxford train or bus station (£8–£16) temporary accommodation > accommodation in Oxford, if you can not move into your semester-time room when you arrive (about £60 in a hotel, £22 a night at the university – see ‘Temporary accommodation in September’ page 26) > accommodation in London (about £65 a night) > food and drinks (£20 a day) > bed linen, quilts, pillows and cooking tools (£50–£75) > a deposit of £200 if you are staying in Cheney Student Village. You are likely to need about £400 in cash and travellers’ cheques when you first arrive. You will not be able to open a bank account until after you have enrolled with Oxford Brookes (see ‘Bank accounts and credit cards’ page 30) so it will be helpful to arrange to get cash through an ATM or cash point from your bank at home. Do not bring large amounts of cash because it is not safe.

➜ Part-time jobs

You cannot earn lots of money from part-time employment. You may not have enough spare time while you are studying. Most part-time jobs for students are in restaurants, kitchens, bars and hotels, where you are likely to earn about £6 an hour. See ‘Immigration regulations and working in the UK’ page 9. You cannot usually apply for part-time jobs before you arrive in the UK, but if you have worked before, and have any references bring them with you (see ‘Other useful documents’ page 15).

➜ Brookes Bus pass
The Brookes Bus network links all the campuses and halls of residence with Oxford city centre and the train station. Students in halls of residence will all receive a Brookes Bus pass. This gives you unlimited use of the Brookes Buses free of charge (£1 extra charge after midnight), while you are living in a hall. If you are not living in a hall you can buy a bus pass for about £205 for the academic year.

Find out more click on ‘Jobs’.

Find out more

Shared By: