Natural Disaster Mitigation Partnership
Suite 407, Building A9, MARD, No.2 Ngoc Ha, Ba Dinh, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel: (84-4) 733 6658, Fax: (84-4) 733 6641, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website:
TERMS OF REFERENCE
National Information Officer
The Natural Disaster Mitigation Partnership is a Government-donors Platform
chaired by Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) and placed
under the Standing Office of Central Committee for Flood and Storm Control
(CCFSC). The NDMP mission is to support the achievement of national goals and
objectives through a coordinated, strategic, sector-wide approach to natural
disaster mitigation in Vietnam. The overall objective of NDMP is “to support the
achievement of national goals and objectives through a coordinated strategic,
sector-wide approach to natural disaster mitigation in Vietnam”. The specific
objectives, as agreed by the Government and key donors, the Partnership aims at
during this period are:
1. Manage and share information for improved coordination and awareness
raising in natural disaster management.
2. Advise Government and facilitate dialogue on legislation, policies, and
strategies on natural disaster management.
3. Facilitate development of institutional capacity for application of integrated
approaches to natural disaster management and for implementation of the
4. Coordination of resource allocation and support to efficient use of resources
in natural disaster management (includes facilitating development and
funding of priority disaster management projects).
To strengthen the effectiveness of the secretariat, the NDMP is looking to recruit a
national information officer to work in Hanoi as fulltime basis.
II. Job Description
1. Duration: 6 months (July to December 2008) with possibility of
2. Duty Station: Hanoi with travel to province as required.
3. Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the National Manager, the National Information Officer
will be responsible for maintaining the information system of the NDMP and
reporting directly to the National Manager as needed.
The specific tasks responsibilities include:
Be primarily responsible for the operation of all NDMP information
systems, including the NDMP website
Establish and maintain a network of contacts in a wide range or
organizations involved in disaster management, including Government,
donors, international and local NGOs
Collect, review and summarize disaster management information from
all sources to share information and develop articles for the NDMP
website and other publications
Ensure the timely and accurate dissemination of information on disaster
mitigation, including disaster events, emergency relief requirements and
support to and from Government and other agencies
Be responsible for the production of the NDMP monthly Newsletter
Participate in the meetings of Disaster Management Working Group and
keep up to date with information relating to disaster mitigation in
Work with supporting staff to develop and improve the NDMP website
and other information sharing tools
Support the National Coordinator in NDMP activities relating to
training and IEC materials
Support other Secretariat staff as necessary in the implementation of the
Monitor and report on the progress of their personal work-plan
Participate in personal capacity building activities as necessary
- University degree in Information Technology; Communication or related
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Minimum of 3 years working experience.
- Two years experience in collecting, summarizing and producing materials for
publication (website, newsletter etc).
- Demonstrated networking skills.
- Experience in the field of information management; database etc. is desirable.
- Experience with Official Development Assistance (ODA) projects is preferred;
- Working knowledge and experience with Government agencies are desirable;
5. Application procedures:
Interested Vietnamese persons should submit the CV with a letter of interest in
English demonstrating why you are suitable to the required job and the relevant
copies of education degree and other certificates if available to:
Suite 407, Building A9, MARD, 2 Ngoc Ha, Hanoi
6. Selection process:
After an initial screening of applications, short-listed applicants will be contacted,
and invited for an interview. Only short-listed candidates are contacted for
Deadline to apply: 4. 00 p.m. Friday, July 20, 2008