CHEM 1000 Discussion Worksheet: Metric System, Conversions, and Density
(Answers: see the laboratory page of the class website www.uwyo.edu/chem1000)
1. Give the metric system base unit name and symbol for the following.
length mass volume temperature amount of substance
2. What is the metric system prefix name corresponding to of each of the following symbols?
c _________ μ __________ k _________
M ________ m __________
3. Place the following in order of increasing size: cm Mm μm m km mm
_____ < ______ < ______ < ______ < ______ < ______
4. What is the relationship between the units below? Fill in the blanks with the correct
______ cm = ______ m ______ mm = ______ m ______ μL = ______ L
______ Mg = ______ g ______ kg = ______ g
5. Set up two possible conversion factors using the following relationship: 1 in = 2.54 cm.
Using a conversion factor, convert 50.2 inches to cm and report your answer with the
correct number of significant figures.
6. Carry out the following conversions.
a) Convert 56.0 km to m
b) Convert 803 L to cL
c) Convert 5.10 mm to cm
1 mi = 5280 ft 454 g = 1 lb In problems 1-13, report your
12 in = 1 ft 16 oz = 1 lb answers to the correct number of
2.54 cm = in significant figures!!!
7. Convert 0.416 miles to centimeters.
8. A certain drug is metabolized at a constant rate of 0.0236 oz/hr. Convert this to mg/min.
9. a) Give the formula for density:
b) Give the formula for calculating K from oC:
10. Ebony is a dark, hard wood. A block of ebony has a mass of 522 g and a volume of 435 cm3.
a) What is the density of ebony?
b) The block of ebony wood is placed in a tub of water. Will the ebony float or sink to the
bottom of the tub? (Density of water = 1 g/mL)
11. A sample of gasoline has a density of 0.68 g/mL. What is the mass of 90.5 mL of this
12. A croissant recipe calls for 710 g of flour. According to Chef Jaque Pepin, the density of
flour is 0.620 g/mL.
a) What volume of flour (in mL) is needed for this recipe?
b) You only have measuring cups in your kitchen. Convert the volume in part (a) to cups.
(1 L = 1.057 qt)
13. During the dark period of the lunar month, the temperature of the moon drops to a low of
–215o F. Convert this value to oC and K. (F = 1.8C + 32)