Medical Technologists Bio Data - PDF by hdi61947


More Info
									Medical Technology Preparation at UC Davis


Licensed medical technologists work with pathologists, other physicians or scientists who
specialize in clinical chemistry, microbiology, or other biological sciences. Together, they detect,
diagnose, and treat many patient diseases. As part of this health care team, medical technologists
are responsible for performing tests and developing data on the patient's blood tissues and body
fluids. They have the knowledge of the principles behind these tests. Medical technologists have
the ability to recognize physiological conditions affecting test results and the ability to develop
data that may be used by a physician in determining the presence, extent, and the cause of

In addition to working in a clinical laboratory, jobs for medical technologists are available in
departments of public health, industrial labs, pharmaceutical companies, the armed forces, the
National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the World Health Organization (WHO). Medical
technologists also have the option to educate students in this field.

Medical technology licenses may be general (for all areas of the clinical lab), or limited to
performing procedures in one particular area (clinical chemistry, clinical microbiology,
immunohematology, toxicology, cytogenetics and molecular genetics).

I. Requirements

Requirements for becoming a nationally certified and California licensed medical technologist
include a bachelor's degree with courses pertinent to the clinical laboratory. Although no
particular undergraduate major is required, some schools prefer students majoring in one of the
biological sciences or chemistry. As long as all prerequisites are met, any major may be chosen.

A. Chemistry - 24 quarter units Required:
General Chemistry (2ABC)
Biochemistry (BIS 101 or 102)
Organic Chemistry (118A, B, C)

B. Biological Sciences - 27 quarter units Required:
Biological Sciences 1A,B,C
Hematology (Vet - Clinical Pathology 101(check availability)(Sac State: Bio Sci 124)
Immunology (Vet - PMI 126 or Med - Micro 188)
Medical Microbiology (Vet - Micro 127)

Hematology Lab (Vet - Clinical Path 101L (check availability)
Medical Microbiology Lab (Vet - PMI 126L)
General Physiology (NPB 101)
General Physiology Lab (NPB 101L)
Virology (Vet - PMI 128)
Genetics (BIS 101)
Human Anatomy (Med - CHA 101)
Advanced Immunology (Vet - PMI 270)

C. Physics Required:
Physics (1AB or 7ABC)

D. Math Required:
Precalculus (MAT 12)
Statistics (STA 13)
Introduction to Computers (Engineering: ECS 15)

II. Training And Licensure

A. Completion of a bachelor's degree is followed by a 12-month training program in a clinical
laboratory approved by the State of California Department of Health Services. There are
currently 12 approved generalist programs and 14 limited license programs in California. The
most recent list can be found on the laboratory field services website
( All
candidates accepted into a clinical training program must have a trainee license from the
California Department of Public Health, Laboratory Field Services.

B. After completing the 12-month training program, candidates are eligible to take a national
exam, a short test on California State Law and apply for California Licensure.

C. Completion of a nationally accredited (NAACLS accredited) trainee program allows students
to participate in the National Certification Examinations, recognized throughout the nation.

III. Application Process

A. Deadlines
Training programs usually start in the summer (July-September) and/or winter (January-March).
Deadlines for applications vary but generally summer programs have deadlines between
February 1 and March 1 and winter programs between September 1 and October 1. Check with
individual programs for exact dates.

D. Trainee License
Before starting a training program, you must have a trainee license. Write to the State of
California Department of Public Health, Laboratory Field Services for an application and
instructions during your last two quarters before graduation or when you have finished all
required coursework (address on page 5). A renewable training license will be issued after you
have received your bachelor's degree and your final transcript has been confirmed. You are then
legally qualified to participate in a training program. No examination is required. Most programs
will interview and accept students before they have received their trainee license as long as they
will have their license prior to actually starting training programs. Be sure to indicate on your
application when you will be applying for the trainee license.

E. Interviews
Most schools require personal interviews prior to acceptance into clinical training. Some
programs will arrange for interviews and contact you directly, while others require that you
request an interview.

F. Supplemental Documentation
Some programs require additional information such as a statement of interest in the field of
medical technology. This should be submitted directly to the school unless otherwise indicated.

IV. Helpful Hints

Start the application process early, usually about 3-4 months before the deadline. Order
transcripts and letters of recommendation as soon as possible because it takes time for them to
reach the SRC and for the SRC to process your application and send it to the different programs.
It is always an asset to document your interest in medical technology and suitability for this type
of work through actual experience. This experience can be acquired through a paid job, volunteer
work, or an internship. At the very least, visit one or more labs and talk to the medical
technologists working there.

V. Limited Licences

Minimum requirements for obtaining a limited license to perform diagnostic
procedures limited to a specific area of the lab are:

A. Clinical Chemistry:

A B.S. in chemistry plus one year of full-time training or experience in chemistry in an approved

B. Clinical Microbiology:

A B.S. in microbiology plus one year full-time training or experience in microbiology in an
approved clinical lab.

C. Immunohematology:

A B.S. in medical technology, microbiology, or a closely related major, and one year full-time
training or experience in immunohematology in an approved clinical lab (for training in the
blood banking field).

D. Toxicology:
a B.S. in chemistry plus one year full-time training or experience in toxicology in an approved
clinical lab.

All training for limited licenses must be post-baccalaureate.

E. Clinical Cytogenetic Scientist

F. Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist

VI. Advanced Licences And Degrees In Medical Technology

A. A Clinical Chemist is licensed to engage in the direction and supervision of clinical lab
activities limited to chemistry, or to engage in the work and direction of a lab providing service
only within the area of clinical chemistry. Requirements include:

(1) an M.S. or Ph.D. in chemistry,

(2) one year of training in chemistry in a clinical lab

(3) three years experience in a clinical lab, two of which are at the supervisory level. Graduate
education must include 30 semester or equivalent quarter hours in chemistry. Applicants with
only an M.S. need the equivalent of one year full-time training in procedures and principles
involved in the development, modification and evaluation of lab methods.

B. A Clinical Microbiologist is licensed to engage in the work and supervision of clinical lab
activities limited to clinical microbiology, or to
engage in the work and direction of a lab service only pertaining to this
area. Requirements are the same as for clinical chemistry except that training and experience
should be in microbiology.

C. A Bioanalyst is licensed to engage in the work and direction of a clinical laboratory.
Requirements include an M.A., M.S. or Ph.D. in one of the biological sciences, and a minimum
of four years experience as a licensed medical technologist in California.

D. For medical technologists wanting to advance to supervisory positions, or fulfill requirements
for a bioanalyst license, there are M.S. programs specifically in medical technology with an
emphasis in a particular area such as clinical chemistry, clinical immunology, clinical
microbiology, hematology, lab management, and immunohematology.
VII. Addresses

Laboratory Field Services
Northern California Office
Bldg P, 1st Floor
850 Marina Bay Parkway,
Richmond, CA 94804-6403

American Society for Clinical Pathology
1225 New York Avenue NW, Suite 250
Washington, D.C. 20005
Phone: 202-347-4450
Fax: 202-347-4453

American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science
6701 Democracy Blvd. Suite 300

Bethesda, Maryland 20817

(301) 657-2768

California Association of Medical Laboratory Technology (CAMLT)
Executive Office
1895 Mowry Ave, Suite 112
Fremont, California 94538

California Society for Medical Technology
P.O. Box 20037
Riverside, CA 92516

National Certification Agency for Medical Laboratory Personnel (NCAMLP)
7910 Woodmont Ave., Suite 1301
Bethesda, MD 20814

IX. Useful Websites

Timelines for Applying to CLS Training Programs
One year before training begins:

Decide on which programs you plan to apply. Visit the CAMLT ( or Laboratory
Field Services (
FB3.htm) website for a complete list of programs and visit individual program websites for the
specific instructions for application to each program. Download a copy of the application for a
CLS trainee license (form 156) from the Laboratory Field Services web site on the forms page
( and submit it. Request transcripts from all
colleges where you received credit towards your degree. Determine the earliest application
deadline of the programs to which you will be applying. Plan on completing all application
procedures well in advance of this date.

Request letters of recommendation to be sent no later than 1 month before the application
deadline. Many programs will not accept late letters. Use the UC Davis letter service if

Six Months Before Training Begins
Successful applicants will participate in an interview which will determine their placement in a
hospital. Official offers of admission will be sent after interviews.

Three Months Before Training Begins

Follow up with Laboratory Field Services to see if your transcripts and all required documents
have been received. Make sure the transcript listing your degree has been received.

To top