NEWCOMER’S HANDBOOK FOR MOVING TO AND LIVING IN ATLANTA TEMPORARY LODGINGS
• Priceline, www.priceline.com the inexpensive hotels. You may also find additional amenities such as
• Quikbook, 800-789-9887, www.quikbook.com room service, internet access, and in-room mini-bars. Most are national
chains, with several convenient locations thoughout the metro Atlanta
When making reservations through any discount site, it’s important to area:
ask about their cancellation policy and whether or not the rates they quote • Embassy Suites Hotel, 800-EMBASSY, www.embassysuites.com;
include hotel tax or any other charges. Most reservation services require a several locations in metro Atlanta
credit card for booking. A few may even require payment in full when mak- • Homewood Suites, 800-445-8667, www.homewoodsuites.com; 4
ing the reservation, though usually, payment for the room will be made locations in metro Atlanta
directly to the hotel when you check out. • The Omni Hotel at CNN Center, 404-659-0000, 800-843-6664,
www.omnihotels.com; located inside the CNN Center in downtown
INEXPENSIVE LODGINGS Atlanta
• Raddison Inn, 800-333-3333, www.radisson.com; several locations
If budget is more important than luxury, the following listings may be of in metro Atlanta
interest. Most are chain hotels, with locations here and there throughout • The Sheraton, 800-325-3535, www.sheraton.com; 10 locations in
the city. All of them offer standard accommodations—bed, bath, towels, metro Atlanta
TV. Some may also offer additional amenities, so it might be a good idea • Summerfield Suites by Wyndham, 800-WYNDHAM, www.
to check around before making a decision on where to stay. Prices gener- wyndham.com; 2 locations in metro Atlanta
ally range between $60 and $150 per night, though you will want to • W Hotel Atlanta, 111 Perimeter Center West, NE, 770-396-6800,
confirm the rate with the hotel when making your reservation: www.whotels.com; one Atlanta location; the W is a chain hotel, and is
• Best Western, 800-780-7234, www.bestwestern.com; over 40 loca- actually on the cusp between mid-priced lodging and luxury. While
tions in the metro Atlanta area not as expensive as some of the higher-priced hotels in the area, it does
• Cheshire Motor Inn, 1865 Cheshire Bridge Road, NE, 404-872-9628 offer upscale ambiance and incredible customer service that guests
• Days Inn, 800-329-7466, www.daysinn.com; over 30 locations may not find at the other mid-priced hotels.
throughout metro Atlanta
• The Highland Inn, 644 North Highland Avenue NE, Atlanta, 404- LUXURY LODGINGS
874-5756; located in the heart of Virginia Highland
• Holiday Inn, 800-465-4329, www.holiday-inn.com; over 30 locations The following luxury hotels offer a wide variety of services and comforts
throughout metro Atlanta for their guests. Rates begin at about $200 per night and go up from
• Red Roof Inn, 800-733-7663, www.redroof.com; several locations there, based on season and availability.
throughout metro Atlanta • The Four Seasons Hotel, 75 Fourteenth Street, Atlanta, 800-819-
• Sierra Suites, 888-695-7608, www.sierrasuites.com; 4 locations in 5053, www.fourseasons.com; first-class accommodations contained
metro Atlanta within a stunning neo-classical tower of rose and marble granite, over-
• Suburban Lodge Hotel, 800-265-0363, www.suburbanlodge.com; looking both midtown and downtown Atlanta, the Four Seasons is
11 locations in metro Atlanta arguably Atlanta’s most upscale hotel.
• Travelodge, 800-578-7878, www.travelodge.com; 4 locations in • Grand Hyatt Atlanta, 3300 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta, 404-365-
metro Atlanta 8100, 800-633-7313, www.grandatlanta.hyatt.com; first-class accom-
• Wyndham Garden Hotel, 800-999-3223, www.wyndham.com; 5 modations located in Buckhead, at the intersection of Peachtree Road
locations in metro Atlanta and Piedmont Road, convenient to Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza, as
well as Buckhead’s popular bar and nightclub scene.
MEDIUM-PRICED LODGINGS • The Ritz Carlton, 181 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, 404-659-0400;
3434 Peachtree Road, Buckhead, 404-237-2700; 800-241-3333,
The following hotels range in price between $100 and $200 per night. www.ritzcarlton.com; both the downtown and Buckhead locations
Here you can expect rooms that are a little larger than what you’d find in
NEWCOMER’S HANDBOOK FOR MOVING TO AND LIVING IN ATLANTA TEMPORARY LODGINGS
offer the first-class accommodations you’d expect from the Ritz. HOSTELS/YMCA
• Westin Atlanta North at Perimeter, 7 Concourse Parkway, 770-
395-3900, 888-625-5144, www.starwood.com/westin; offers first-class Hostels and YMCAs are excellent low-budget options for travelers.
accommodations north of the city, at Perimeter Mall. The Westin Atlanta Unfor tunately, metro Atlanta doesn’t of fer many options. At the
North is a sleek, contemporary hotel located alongside a private lake. moment, there is only one hostel and one YMCA location offering lodg-
• Westin Buckhead, 3391 Peachtree Road NE, 404-365-0065, 888- ing in the city. Contact information for both are listed below:
625-5144, www.starwood.com/westin; (formerly the Swissôtel) first- • Atlanta International Hostel, 223 Ponce de Leon Avenue, 404-
class accommodations located in the heart of Buckhead, adjacent to 875-9449, 800-473-9449, www.hostel-atlanta.com; prices start at $19
Lenox Mall. This location is conviently located in Atlanta’s most popular per night.
shopping and entertainment district. • YMCA, 22 Butler Street NE, 404-659-8085, www.ymca.net; rooms are
• Westin Peachtree Plaza, 210 Peachtree Street NW, Atlanta, 404- for men only, age 21 and up.
659-1400, 888-625-5144, www.starwood.com/westin; a downtown
Atlanta landmark offering first-class accommodations and phenomenal SHORT-TERM LEASES
views of the city.
A short-term lease or corporate apartment may be a good bet if you plan
BED & BREAKFASTS on using temporar y lodging for more than just a few weeks.
Accommodations typically range from furnished studios to one- or two-
To reserve a space in one of metro Atlanta’s many bed and breakfast estab- bedroom apartments. And prices can range from $300 a week to $3,000
lishments, you may want to consider using a reservation service. Two to per month, depending on the establishment. A few to consider are:
consider are Bed and Breakfast Atlanta, 404-875-0525, www.bedand • Apartment Selector, 770-552-9255, 866-494-3329, www.apt
breakfastatlanta.com; and Bed and Breakfast Inns Online, www.bb selector.com/atlanta; free service that can assist you in finding a corpo-
online.com/ga. However, if you’d rather make your reservations directly rate or short-term apartment that meets your needs.
with the bed and breakfast facility, you may want to try the following. • Extended Stay America, 800-804-3724, www.extendedstay
Rates typically range between $100 and $300 per night: america.com; seven locations throughout metro Atlanta, offering fully
• Ansley Inn, 253 Fifteenth Street NE, Atlanta, 404-872-9000, 800-446- furnished studios with full kitchens, cable TV, and free voicemail service.
5416, www.ansleyinn.com; historic Tudor mansion located in midtown • Post Corporate Apartments, 770-434-6494, 800-643-POST,
Atlanta www.postproperties.com; tastefully furnished and fully equipped
• Gaslight Inn Bed and Breakfast, 1001 St. Charles Avenue NE, apartment homes include housewares, linens, washer and dryer, all
Atlanta, 404-875-1001, www.gaslightinn.com; Craftsman-style home utilities and weekly housekeeping. Post has several locations through-
located in the Virginia Highland community. Much of the Inn is lit by out metro Atlanta, so call for more information.
flickering gaslight fixtures (hence the name). A two-night minimum • Residence Inn by Marriott, 800-331-3131, www.marriott.com/
stay is preferred. residenceinn; fourteen locations throughout metro Atlanta, offering
• King-Keith House Bed and Breakfast, 889 Edgewood Avenue, suites that include a full-size kitchen, TV, linens, dishes and utensils,
Atlanta, 404-688-7330, 800-728-3879, www.kingkeith.com; this 1890 and daily maid service.
Queen Anne-style home located in historic Inman Park boasts 12-foot • Studio Plus, 800-804-3724, www.studioplus.com; four locations
ceilings and beautifully carved fireplaces. Two-night minimum. throughout metro Atlanta, offering deluxe studios that include a TV,
• Sixty Polk Street Bed and Breakfast, 60 Polk Street, Marietta, 770- kitchen, sofa sleeper, separate bedroom, fitness center, and weekly
419-1688, 800-845-7266, www.sixtypolkstreet.com; historic Victorian housekeeping.
home located near the Marietta Square, approximately 30 minutes • Windsor Communities, 800-888-RENT, www.windsorcommunities.
from downtown Atlanta. com; four locations in metro Atlanta, offering tastefully furnished and
• The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast, 992 Ridge Avenue, Stone fully equipped apartment homes ranging in size from studios to three-
Mountain, 770-469-3459, 800-214-8385, www.villageinnbb.com; this bedroom townhomes.
historic 1820s inn is the oldest structure in Stone Mountain Village.